FLASH SALE - 25% OFF - USE CODE: FLASH25 (25 HOURS ONLY)
April 9, 2009 @ 03:44 AM
premier

Usually I don't get on this forum and preach about site,etc...but in this case I will. I am a owner of a retail brick and mortar store. I come to this forum to learn about customer tastes, trends promote new items,etc. I read alot of interesting things. Some customers just want a deal and don't care about streetwear, the "scene",etc. I have read alot of interesting things in this thread. Let me speak on a few quotes,etc:

First I read:

"They're cheapening streetwear with all these sales, actually karmaloop started it with the 60% OFF and then other online shops followed and ever since, streetwear has been going down..."

You right on the money. All the streetwear brands and stores openings tried to replace the popularity of so called urban brands (Ecko, Sean Jean,etc). Alot of people started to switch from Sean John,etc to Alife, Crooks, Hundreds,10 Deep etc in 2006 or 2007. The brands grew quicker than the number of people into them. Growing quickly hurt things....alot. Too quick of growth is bad. It outgrows quickly. Then the economy hit us all.This is what has happened. Originally, streetwear were "independent" brands that were supposed to be "alternatives" to the mainstream stuff you see at Macys, departments stores,etc. Pretty soon, mall stores started to pick up on it. It really donesn't seem as if its any kind of "scene" anymore. Its just a moshpit of sales from all angles. Everyone is trying to get rid of stuff to the customers. Its no longer "special" clothing in any way. Thats a shame.

In other industries, there have been some discounting or deals. However, the streetwear scene has been one of the worst. I have other hobbies outside of buying clothing. I look at all sorts of shopping sites. It seems that the streetwear has been one of the hardest hit. This is why you see some of the moves you see in this industry right now. Brands, stores, etc are just doing what they have to do to survive. Who knows that their brand image or customer base will look like in 2010....Theres always starting over with a new brand....or working for UPS.

"Now everyone from Citizen, Becomefitted, DG, to Karmaloop has been doing 40% to 60% OFF, so how does this make consumers want to pay full price? Eventually streetwear is gonna fall off because of this. I mean a lot of dudes on here preach loyalty and all that crap, but in the end, they don't give a fuck about your online shop, if another place is selling for cheaper they'll buy from the cheaper priced store."

I think you are right on the money. Is its going to fall off as a result. I run a store. Its very hard right now. No one wants to pay full price. In my 50 mile radius I have seen 3 stores shut down this last quarter. That really hurts the scene or business of streetwear.

Special "scenes" or "cultures" come along in the arts of music, tv, radio, clothing every so often. Look at the 60's rock music, 90's hip hop, etc. This is what is happening now. Will the youth still want clothing? Yes. Will it be called "streetwear" in 2015? Probably not....it will be another movement....perhaps. I am 34 years old and have scene alot of brands and "names" for youth based clothing in my years.

As for loyalty,etc. I think you are right on the money with that. It really sucks when people come into your store and just look at stuff and then go home to buy it for a % off with promo code. I guess thats just life. Storeowners have a show up everyday, have insurance, electricity, pay for their needs,etc. If you like streetwear, please support your local merchants...or see this all fall. Its that simple. Most of us aren't rich off this. We do this for you..the customer.

"Not cool, a lot of people in this thread are disrepecting one of the greatest streetwear providers in the world, they provide superb service and not only are they providing great deals but also provide free shipping. I live in Canada and these guys even help you out by marking it as a gift. It will be a real shame if they go out of business; if DG is out of the game others will certainly follow."

Well they are right...aren't they?

"the folks at DG are very respected in the streetwear industry, but in times like this, "respect" doesn't seem to pay bills anymore."

Yes, it doesn't pay the bill. You are right.

"While I don't know if they're going to close down, their constant sales is not a good look. With the repetive 50% sales, people are going to be spoiled by it, resulting in people only buying when their are sales.

The mindset approaching it now will be, "Why would I buy it now when they're probably going to have a 50% sale next week?"

It also has a damaging effect on other online retailers... "

Yes, this is correct. Also, it huts the brick and mortar stores too.
April 9, 2009 @ 03:47 AM
premier

Why? Because thats hella shady business ethics.

If the rumors are true that they plan to close shop soon, and they had all those people buy black cards and whatnot, those card holders basically lose $100 - $200 or however much they paid.

Why support shady businesses? Hence I'm gonna stick to Kloop, Cmonwealth, and Attic.

Yeah if they are knowingly going out of business and still taking money for black cards....thats just wrong. Whats up with a black card anyways. How do they make dough at 50% off?
April 9, 2009 @ 08:08 PM
sev24sev

Is it just me or did the Official Digital Gravel thread disappear? (formerly the Problem With Digital Gravel Thread).
April 15, 2009 @ 12:45 PM
NYC Wheelz

Is it just me or did the Official Digital Gravel thread disappear? (formerly the Problem With Digital Gravel Thread).

WORD!...

I'm def. having a prob with them..
I'm still waiting on three orders...
April 15, 2009 @ 09:51 PM
sev24sev

WORD!...

I'm def. having a prob with them..
I'm still waiting on three orders...

Originally Posted by M@DG View Post
Hello Everyone, Just to clarify we are not going out of business. new product will be added on Monday. Yes their is a delay with a number of orders that ordered the the Hundreds items, this is being addressed.
We have changed our phone system and it takes a day or so for it to transfer the old number to the new system.
The reason you dont see us on HypeBeast as much anymore is because hypebeast informed us that unless we advertise with them we cant have a OFFICIAL DIGITALGRAVEL THREAD, they deleted the OFFICIAL THREAD, so we dont come here very often.
It is illegal for us to sell you a black card and then not give you the amount of time you have purchased it for, you do have rights that are protected as a consumer.
We are having sales right now, but then again so is everybody, and this is because all shoppers are all looking for a deal, for those of you who want to buy at full price we will have new non discounted items on the site on Monday. If you are having a problem with your order email me at [email]Mani@DigitalGravel.com[/email] or PM me, or if you prefer to come to our offices, the address is: 2000 Camfield ave, Commerce, CA, 90040
www.mapquest.com/maps?city=Co...&zipcode=90040
we are usually there between 9-4:30

As always thank you for your support,
Digital Gravel

I'm in the process of receiving a refund from a PayPal dispute for DG merch never received. I'd have rather had the clothes, I was really looking forward to them.
April 16, 2009 @ 06:19 PM
M@DG

April 16, 2009 @ 11:14 PM
EL LAY

So are you guys honestly planning to stay open?
If so, what's up with all these liquidation sales, that have been going on for what... 2 months now?
so what's really going down with DG, why no new merchandise on the site, and seems like a lot of brands have been dropped.
Seems like you guys are in the same boat as Active.
April 19, 2009 @ 10:34 PM
Aim2PLz44

I've hit up their warehouse sales a couple times and honestly I think they just had more stuff than they knew what to do with because I picked up some gems while I was there. Old TheHundreds tees, old Diamond tees, Mighty Healthy, snapbacks, fitteds... stuff that I know would have sold at retail if they would have put it up on their site but i'm sure all this stuff probably just got lost in boxes and boxes of stuff because it was usually just one or two of a certain tee. Anyway my point is that I think they just needed to do some extreme cleaning of their warehouse because they honestly had loads of stuff and since they have a lot of accounts they are constantly getting stuff in but probably with nowhere to put the stuff. Just my opinion I could be wrong but time will tell.
April 29, 2009 @ 03:49 PM
roastbeef

Mani I sent you an email, it's been well over a month and I still haven't received my order and the voice mail is full for the customer service line. I will PM you now. thanks
April 29, 2009 @ 07:41 PM
vincentotubs

Hey Mani, I sent you an e-mail too. I've tried to call you guys tons of times, but it's still full. I was wondering if I could just drive by there and pick up my orders.
April 30, 2009 @ 11:46 AM
EL LAY

how long did you have to wait? 3 weeks, a month? Regardless that's some shitty ass business, taking that long to ship.

I don't know why you guys fuck with them, they're either fucking up on orders or not shipping stuff till a month later, and when you try to contact them, NO RESPONSE.
April 30, 2009 @ 01:26 PM
TheRKO

They never have any good stuff in stock anyways
May 2, 2009 @ 03:22 AM
EL LAY

why don't you get off their dick, they've repeatedly had problems on shipping product on time previous to this incident. Also, it doesn't matter how much you're discounting product, that's no excuse to have orders arrive more than a month late. If anything digital gravel is fucking up and that's evident by the fact that they've lost most of their major accounts and it seems as though you're the only individual that continues to order from DG despite their constant fuck ups.
June 4, 2009 @ 09:12 PM
thisizwils

what's going on with DG they havent put any new stuff in their site for weeks now it seems like all the other online stores already have or been sold out on summer/spring drops from all the brands.You guys gotta give some info on whats going on inside your company dont run with our money especially for those who purchased your BLACK CARD at the beginning of the year.DG used to be if not one of the best online shops around but this year hmm blahhh lots of complaints from loyal customers.Put some new ish already god dammit...
June 4, 2009 @ 09:22 PM
eski173

DG sucks.....
June 13, 2009 @ 10:28 AM
NYC Wheelz

yo dg WHAT IS UP WITH MY ORDER!!!!!

Please login first to reply.