SALE - Up to 70% Off - Shop Now
December 22, 2007 @ 07:45 AM
PACHUKO

just for the hell of it, im kinda interested to know what streetwear brand owners out there have a college degree, and what they went to school for? i know a lot of these cats got involved with a lotta shit that don't even have anything to do with what they do now (design, etc).. like enrolled into law school then somewhere along the road got involved with streetwear.. share if y'know anything!

i was toyin with this topic in my head since i'ma go to college next year for graphic design.
December 22, 2007 @ 11:43 AM
MTVTN

Without putting out his info out there too much, I know one of the designers for a brand we carry that is in a good amount of boutiques and just dropped a strong winter line is still attending the art school here at U of Michigan for graphic design. It shows in their designs.

Also Ive met a decent amount of owners/designers from more established brands and a good amount of them have college degrees, Im not sure what in though...

http://www.mtvtn.com

December 22, 2007 @ 11:51 AM
modernART

just for the hell of it, im kinda interested to know what streetwear brand owners out there have a college degree, and what they went to school for? i know a lot of these cats got involved with a lotta shit that don't even have anything to do with what they do now (design, etc).. like enrolled into law school then somewhere along the road got involved with streetwear.. share if y'know anything!

i was toyin with this topic in my head since i'ma go to college next year for graphic design.

if you got to ben and bobby's (the hundreds) myspace pages, it says which schools they went to and what they majored in. i know ben went to ucla for his undergraduate, while bobby went to ucsd. And they just happened to have met in law school at loyola.

Greg, from Mishka, went to college also. I think in an interview he said he got his degree in broadcast or journalism, or something like that.

Ritchie, from One Anthem, went to Fullerton and studied graphic design. He worked for Oakley at one point, as well.
December 22, 2007 @ 04:59 PM
Schooling_Foos

People forget that having a streetwear company involves a lot more than design. Theres a lot of dope designers out there that cant make it because they dont have the other aspects. From the previous examples, Business Law and Journalism are very much a big aspect of streetwear companies.
December 22, 2007 @ 05:04 PM
Adam Sofa

People forget that having a streetwear company involves a lot more than design. Theres a lot of dope designers out there that cant make it because they dont have the other aspects. From the previous examples, Business Law and Journalism are very much a big aspect of streetwear companies.

agree, im going for a marketing A.S. degree and a certificate of entrepreneurship. ive been doing graphic designs since early 2003's. i belive yea taking some art classes help but its a lot of expression of creativity, studying peoples likings n etc when it comes to designing. i have found using a lot of vintage style books help out.
December 22, 2007 @ 05:40 PM
Dean. ALVAL

Here's the deal. I got a double major in Marketing and Finance a year ago. Upon my graduation i snapped out of it. Reflected and decide that owning my own business and carving my own trail is more important then car bonuses and commissions. I essentially left my Job as a Hedge Fund analyst and decided to do HomeRoom full time. Best decision I ever made.

and ...graphic design degrees are overrated if your going to apply it towards fashion.

All you need is this http://www.sketchpad.net/illustrator.htm

Don't be misled. I encourage anyone that is starting their own business to have a business degree.
December 22, 2007 @ 07:26 PM
PACHUKO

Here's the deal. I got a double major in Marketing and Finance a year ago. Upon my graduation i snapped out of it. Reflected and decide that owning my own business and carving my own trail is more important then car bonuses and commissions. I essentially left my Job as a Hedge Fund analyst and decided to do HomeRoom full time. Best decision I ever made.

and ...graphic design degrees are overrated if your going to apply it towards fashion.

All you need is this http://www.sketchpad.net/illustrator.htm

Don't be misled. I encourage anyone that is starting their own business to have a business degree.

word. these are the kind of replies i want. i really need some knowledge dropped on me about this type of shit cause im pretty ignorant to it. what do you feel about taking somethin like fashion merchandising? you got some of the business side there..

i'm really just looking for something that will provide me with a decent slice cheddar or just comfortable living in the not so distant future (within the fashion/music industry - i'm not cut out to be a tradesman), 'cause i'm sick of bein low class haha.
December 22, 2007 @ 07:29 PM
PACHUKO

word holmes. good point.
December 22, 2007 @ 08:46 PM
modernART

everything varies, depending on skills and talents. bobby from the hundreds mentioned in an interview that he never took a graphic design/art class in his entire life, but is the one who designs all of the graphics for the hundreds. look at jonas, co-founder of LRG, he never finished college, but had a vision and could sketch out his ideas. the other co-founder of LRG, robert, however, did in fact go to fashion school at FIDM. the experience and education of all these brand owners vary significantly.
December 23, 2007 @ 04:54 PM
Dean. ALVAL

word. these are the kind of replies i want. i really need some knowledge dropped on me about this type of shit cause im pretty ignorant to it. what do you feel about taking somethin like fashion merchandising? you got some of the business side there..

i'm really just looking for something that will provide me with a decent slice cheddar or just comfortable living in the not so distant future (within the fashion/music industry - i'm not cut out to be a tradesman), 'cause i'm sick of bein low class haha.

I can only think of two degrees that are universal. These degrees can be of help is applied correctly to the fashion and music industry. Marketing and English; both of these degrees will help you get your ideas and voice out there.

Here's some food for thought

30 something percent of the Fortune 500 CEO's have a BA in English.
December 27, 2007 @ 10:08 AM

Inactive

Many say you can go the design route without any degree, but really, if you want to work at any big design studio, or be taken seriously as a designer, youre gonna want to attend one of the biggy design schools. Contrary to most, you need pretty damn high marks to get in, and its usually half portfolio half marks based for these uni programs.

Ive graduated from one of the top design programs in north america, and i can defintiely see a huge difference between 1 year program and 4 year program students. These design schools dont teach how to use illustrator or indesign, they teach good design, and mostly typography so that you can take it and apply it however you want. Good design theory in your noggin will mean you dont have to rely on pictures to make somethingaesthetically pleasing, and youll be able to just say if something visually works or not.

my 2 cents
December 28, 2007 @ 01:11 PM
12aw13

First, I think "designer" is misused nowadays especially in the "streetwear" scene. Let's get some stuff straight... You are not a designer:
1. just because you own a Mac
2. have a copy of Adobe Illustrator and Photoshop in your computer
3. have a scanner
4. your mom telling you that you have "great" artistic skills.

Yeah, I agree to a certain point that a design education is overated but people who got that raw talent is also very slim(ex. Jonas-LRG). It's like saying theres a lot of great ballers out there but not all them make it to the NBA. Theres a lot of great designers but not all of them can make it. A lot of people who went to tech schools, 2 year colleges or learned on their own do not get the same knowledge nor are their designs any good if they were to go to a good design school. But there is always an exception but very slim. When you go to a good school you don't learn the programs... they teach you type, good aesthetic design, etc. Also, a good designer that has a Graphic Design degree is Shepherd Farley who owns Obey.

There are a few people in the industry that have good talent and it shows on their designs and their are a lot that are surving because of pure "hype". A lot brands make it because of "hype" and it's not base on good "design". There are a lot more "hyped" up brands than actual good legit design brands. I could name a lot brands right now that is just putting out trash but people are riding them because they got the name behind them. But that's a whole new topic.

My thing is if you want to make it in "streetwear" scene have a good marketing sceme.
December 30, 2007 @ 11:43 PM
ImperiusRex

I can only think of two degrees that are universal. These degrees can be of help is applied correctly to the fashion and music industry. Marketing and English; both of these degrees will help you get your ideas and voice out there.

co-sign on that. I in skool for my PR/Marketing major. itz the type of major that can be used in almost any Job u choose ta do in the Music/Fashion/Entertainment fields IMO

Please login first to reply.