Get an Extra 20% Off Sale Items - Use code: EXTRA20
March 6, 2007 @ 05:33 PM

Inactive

I've been skateboarding for 11 years.
I remember getting some goofy-ass Stussy hat because my friend said it was cool.
Wish I still had that fucking hat.
But yeah, skateboarding.
March 8, 2007 @ 05:13 PM
LA Casual

I grew up in the Street and i needed something to wear.
April 4, 2007 @ 09:20 PM
Drak

skate culture>graff culture>hip hop culture>streetwear culture.
April 4, 2007 @ 09:31 PM
KungFu

i recently got into it. about 4 months ago. i was always rocking air maxes but never thought of them being something special. until one day i was trying to dig them up again. and picked up my shoe addiction again. now more into clothes than shoes.
April 4, 2007 @ 11:00 PM
newportshorts

i grew up just bein into shoes. in elementary school it was all about the nikes. then in middle school and high school i was into skateboarding kicks like Es Kostons. I remember in 99 i saw a pair of Alphanumeric Dunks and I thought they were dope as fuck cuz alphanumeric was my brand back then. So then I got interested in dunks and all that other shit but never had money to cop. After I graduated highschool I got a job and started buying the kicks that I wanted. On searching for kicks I stumbled upon hypebeast and have been here ever since. The End.
April 5, 2007 @ 07:49 AM

Inactive

Got into it about 1998.

Read some Jap mags and thought it was pretty good.

Didn't really care about the brands to much was more interested in the selection of stuff.

Then when it hit 1999/2000 i got into it properly researching brands finding out who's who etc.

It was a lil' easier too because around that same time i started skating and i got introduced to alot of things through that.
April 5, 2007 @ 08:58 AM
IdleScience

Always dressed like this since a teen, not many people do where I live. Came across this site one day whillst looking for some AF1's, never knew there was a whole community dedicated to the clothes I love.
April 5, 2007 @ 02:44 PM
embark

think ive been rocking street wear for a long long time. ive been wearing nike since birth.. for some reason my mom always had this bias for nike. Even when i first started working and copped a pair of converses she beefed like those look ugly and theyre going to kill your feet. plus my second job was with nike so ive always been loyal. When it comes it comes to other brands, ive started with pnb, too black guys, and good helping of 40 acres and mule (spike is froom my hood and i had the hook up at his store) and Karl Kani (i know...). I actually started moving Away from streetwear late in hs because the brands went through a little lul. But my older cusin is pretty deep in the Ol skool Lo-Life scene and the skating scene so I never lost the love, but I just starting experimenting with other brands and since providence was THE WORST place to shop in the late 90s and early 2000s i stopped shopping. when I came back from college in 02, I started going to norte (the old store) like every week for sneakers and found recon (right next door). I loved all the clothes they had there and and started copping alot of the other brands they only had in their store (Futura, some Bape, Nike white label) And then lo and behold.. about 2 years later the scene BLEW THE FUCK UP.

damn this thread is old....
April 5, 2007 @ 02:55 PM
PoLkG

My friend showed me his Pusheads. ^^;
April 5, 2007 @ 03:08 PM
Mr.Londoner

Very Simple.. saw Lupe wearing a Jacket on his myspace, asked what jacket it was.. it was Artful Dodger.. searched Artful Dodger on google, found their official site and karmaloop.. the rest is as you say History.cool
April 5, 2007 @ 03:21 PM
iDANYO

I don't even remember...
April 5, 2007 @ 03:40 PM
Sneaker Pimp

All my life man ive rocking the heat. Love the heat.
February 13, 2009 @ 01:39 PM
twothousand1.

GGGGGGGRAVE DIGGER.

Sneakers.hiphop.skate.Graffiti.Stussy & LRG.
circa 06/07?

been in this culture for a sec.
February 13, 2009 @ 02:03 PM
grymg

Entourage episode "What about Bob". It rekindled the fire. . .
February 13, 2009 @ 03:46 PM
BareBackBruce

Iron Maiden is my favorite band. I stumbled on the Diamond Supply Co. "Running Shit" shirt and decieded to check out their other designs. I really liked them so I kept buying. Haven't stoped.
February 13, 2009 @ 05:49 PM
&war Carrots

just wondering how everyone here discovered or became involved in the streetwear scene.

as for myself, I honestly don't even know. I think one day i just happened to stumble across DG while browsing the net & began getting interested in the individual brands & what not. of course this was waaayyy before DG sorta blew up. but i do credit that site with somewhat getting me involved in the scene.

I was in 10th grade, got into it with a bitch, and I needed a way to clear my head. So I took a walk from Los Angeles High School down to La Brea, and spotted a store by the name of Stussy, and UNDFTD. I walked in to peep the environment, and what account holders were in here because it was totally different from what I have ever seen. Kept walking, and found Union. At that time, all I knew about was Bathing Ape. So went in and asked a guy by the name of Chris Gibbs, "What's up with the clothing in here? I'm clueless about all this shit!" I sat down, and he told me everything. SB's at the time were 30.00, and tees were $40-50 a pop! BLAH BLAH BLAH! I WORK FOR ROGUE STATUS NOW!
February 13, 2009 @ 07:39 PM
ayo rich

i was looking for dunks then this site popped up.>sad>sad
February 13, 2009 @ 08:09 PM
Team Lazy

I was always into skateboarding as a kid and loved the shirts etc. I eventually turned in my skateboard to try to dress fancier and become more sophisticated. After a while I just got sick of feeling like an old man and needed something I could identify with, like I once did. Looked for bape because it was so rare back in the day but got too lazy to really hunt them down, plus the pricetag was ridiculous and I refused to give into the hype once I figured it all out. Friend showed me this site one day because he wanted to ask how a pair of shoes looked, and sorta just picked up what I liked by reading threads.
February 13, 2009 @ 09:06 PM
TheePaxx

I Stumbed Across Workmens.com Looking For Graff Markers About 3 Years Ago.. I Was Feeling The Vibe And Yurned For More.. Ha.. I Also Used To Buy Alot Of Wax From Turntablelab.com And They Had A Decent Gear Selection Then Also.. I Owe Some Earlier Hippness To Those Two Sites For Sure..

OnEnEsS287.com
February 13, 2009 @ 09:21 PM
justJ@KE

i also got into from skating. i used to wear diamond when they only had og script tees and then they started to collab with other brands i never heard of and i would look them up and then it branched out from there but i think i was mostly influenced by huf and the stussy skate team back then and i used to see skaters in mags skate in supreme stuff.
February 13, 2009 @ 09:37 PM
Weet

I got into street wear from being involved in the BBoy scene.
February 13, 2009 @ 10:48 PM
Hid

kinda embarrassed to say this but I got in it when the Jason Hoody came out and thought it was the shit. Now looking back, lol i hate the hoody AND yes I bought it for like 125 maybe
February 14, 2009 @ 12:17 AM
seattle IMP 08

when i went to a kanye concert i saw the g.o.o.d brand... i was interested and sought that out online when i got home... that led me ftkonline and from then on i was hooked... my area was still into horrendous fashions like zoo york, so i had no idea this culture even existed.
February 14, 2009 @ 12:51 AM

me?...these factors...shopping at kicks hawaii and in4mation, seeing other hypebeast, and that one guy docflip...haha!cool
February 14, 2009 @ 01:36 AM
jkargas33

One of my friends in middle school had an older brother who stayed in LA and his style really started to influence ours. Started wearings jordans back in like 7th 8th grade found sb dunks right after...the clothes that went well with jordans were too baggy for my taste so i started wearing lacoste and burberry with my j's...the sneaker infatuation i had led me down to china man in downtown SD and blends too...bought a pair of safari 87's and then the fever really started was on niketalk for a long long time and then the summer the tiffs came out got me hooked for good...skipped work to pick em up and found diamond and have been loyal to them for awhile now...some of their stuff is too "loud" for me but i can't get enough of the OG script, its classic...plus all their work has great design even if i wont wear it and attention to detail which a lot of the mainstream fashion companies don't, makes you feel like the clothes were made for you...one thing about the streetwear brands, well most of them anyways is that they pay a great attention to detail and dont just put out trash...the designers use this streetwear as a medium to express themselves artistically and that in itself is what keeps me coming back to streetwear
February 14, 2009 @ 03:22 AM
Jim Jardashian

I had sex with street wear, I put it in his butt.
February 14, 2009 @ 06:07 AM
wikedwun

TH & DG got me started! & cuz I'm Asian
February 14, 2009 @ 09:32 AM
mr.orange

When I first heard Lupe Fiasco, I googled him and saw he had a blog here. Followed it ever since cool
February 14, 2009 @ 07:11 PM
g2289

I think it started early like when bape was becoming popular and was at its peak, I joined a forum, and it just stemmed into other streetwear.
February 14, 2009 @ 07:34 PM
2 fn low

I dont know really, kinda just fell into it when i was looking to be different from the rest of the kids in my school...

I use to go to some rich ass private school and kids were always decked out in sweater sweats and shit...which i dont have a problem with, ill rock sweater vests from time to time myself...But its like everybody was wearing the same damn thing...I couldnt stand it...So i looked around and went with a different style then everybody else...I dont remember exactly when all this went down, might of been around the 6th grade or so...Back before there was Fubu, Mecca, Enyce or any of that...I think at the time i was rocking some PNB Nation tees and shit, with the classic levis of course...Then Karl Kani, Mecca, Enyce, Wu-Wear and all that came about...At the time all of this was considered Streetwear...

I remember picking up my first Avirex leather during the summer after 7th grade...This was back in like '95...I remember cause i was rolling through the city with this HUGE ASS bag from DrJays with the Avirex in it, i was thinkin dudes were gonna jump my ass on the train and shit lol...It was a size 6XL and cost something like 600, i still got it to, mad small but i still got it in the basement...

IM A OG!!!!

Please login first to reply.