December 3, 2006 @ 03:40 PM
ghostdeini

I always wondered how futura makes money, past or present
December 3, 2006 @ 03:53 PM
COLDPOSTED

Blind Jeans.Gat.FreshJive.187.Loonatics.Top2bttm.Conart.Droors.Beer Runs.Stress weed.Racking and Returns.Cart runs.Slim jims.
Zimbabwe.Fuct.Blockhead.Tree.Raves.Krylon.Cpu101.Venice Pit.Chaffy.Lockwood.SM Courthouse.Fat beats on Vermont.Los luz.
Can Control.When Urb Mag was a big version.Fresh Produce.Adidas Campus.Mushroom Jazz 1.Mescaline.Rich Girls.Levis.Army navy stores.
Scribble.Electric Chair.Counterfit.101.Questionable.Early Hiero.Big Brother.60/40.Pharcyde.Nieghbohood.Guy.While you were sleeping.Gravediggaz.Sudafed for $20.SF.La.Sd.Suburbs.Life Sucks die.Belmont.Frieghts.Xlarge store in Whittier.Melrose.Sneak a tokes.Wallabees.Vans.Indoor swap meets.J burger.Mickeys 40's.H street.Polos.Flannels.Frisco Bens.Greyhound Bus.12 oz.prophet.Kids.Fatcaps.Everslicks.Pagers.Albertos.Alphanumeric.Third rail.Etc
December 3, 2006 @ 04:08 PM
jjs home

i dunno I always knew of the shit and wore smoe of it from here to there since like 96 dependnig on if i liked it or not. Like I used to rock mad ecko unlimited back in the day when all they did was graf style tees that came with underground airplay mixtapes and shit, but they strayed off that path mad long ago. in geenral I don'trealy rock the stuff because it just isn't me.

My opinion on the standard streetwear cat is simply someone who wanted bape, but was too cheap to buy it so found the next best substitues
December 3, 2006 @ 04:10 PM
SayWord

lmao @ taking subliminal shots.

you don't got to sneak diss

You are suggesting me, I can afford bape 10 fold now holms
December 3, 2006 @ 04:20 PM
jjs home

naw if its you its you, I'm talking about most everyone, no direspect, but if a person discovered streetwear via DG shits funny to me, because it relates to NOTHING streetwear is about. Its whatever but i find it funny

like I didn't read anyones response beyond the first page nor ANYTHING you wrote, but snice you feel its you and now let me say it REAL clear. YOU ARE PROBABLY A CHEAP CORNBALL, I don't much care what you like or why you like it, but beyond that whatever, my guess is that you spending money that ain't yours to cop shit or fucking your check up to cop new gear and have an identity, no sneak diss, or anything else, what else you need to hear? Right now you lame to me, next time I'd prefer you not to say no dumb shit like that to me, but you gotta do you, but if it ain't all like I said I'd like to see you prove it.

I mean shit dog you been hear since after me and posted 3 times as many times, like what the fuck else are you doing with yourself?
December 3, 2006 @ 04:21 PM
bobbyhundreds

yeah i don't really understand how people use skating as a natural progression into streetwear. most skaters i know just rock whatever, usually just skate brand clothes...most don't give a damn about streetwear.

Jimmy, the reason skateboarding is the considered the root of streetwear is that almost every significant "street" brand/designer/company, past or present, was heavily influenced by skateboarding in some way. Definitely not ALL, but the vast majority. Whether it's Supreme or Foreign Family, almost everyone involved in the industry can point to either skateboarding or skate culture as one of their stronger reference points.

I agree when you say the skaters around you today aren't really wearing anything crazy, but modern skateboarding is on a different plane than where it was at a decade, or 2 decades, ago. Just flip through old Thrasher/Big Brother/Transworld skate mags from the 80s and 90s and you will see that everything that is talked about on this forum, and worn on the streets today, was already being thrown around years ago by names like Mike Vallely (cargos and chain wallets), Josh Beagle (bright oversized graphics on rave-y t-shirts), Jason Dill (skating in $200 denim in the early 90s, when that would be like skating in a Versace suit today), Jamie Thomas (hesh) and Heath Kirchart (flannels).

You have Mighty Healthy's logo as your icon, and I'm sure you know that those dudes have as much roots in skateboarding as being NYC.

On another note, I think it's interesting that everyone takes the "STREET" in "streetwear" so literally. If "streetwear" is supposed to literally mean the clothes you see on the "street," then can it not exist in rural areas with dirt roads?

Since I see people on the streets wearing suits-and-ties, police uniforms, Betsey Johnson dresses, Osh Kosh Bgosh baby overalls, and janitorial outifts, as opposed to limited sneakers and selvedge denim, then does that mean everything is streetwear? HMM
December 3, 2006 @ 04:26 PM
SayWord

naw if its you its you, I'm talking about most everyone

like I didn't read anyones response beyond the first page nor ANYTHING you wrote, but snice you feel its you and now let me say it REAL clear. YOU ARE PROBABLY A CHEAP CORNBALL, I don't much care what you like or why you like it, but beyond that whatever, my guess is that you spending money that ain't yours to cop shit or fucking your check up to cop new gear and have an identity, no sneak diss, or anything else, what else you need to hear? Right now you lame to me, next time I'd prefer you not to say no dumb shit like that to me, but you gotta do you, but if it ain't all like I said I'd like to see you prove it.

I mean shit dog you been hear since after me and posted 3 times as many times, like what the fuck else are you doing with yourself?

Im on a computer all day at the job friend, posting here kills the time. I get my paper, but thats besides the point.
December 3, 2006 @ 04:29 PM
SayWord

On another note, I think it's interesting that everyone takes the "STREET" in "streetwear" so literally. If "streetwear" is supposed to literally mean the clothes you see on the "street," then can it not exist in rural areas with dirt roads?

Since I see people on the streets wearing suits-and-ties, police uniforms, Betsey Johnson dresses, Osh Kosh Bgosh baby overalls, and janitorial outifts, as opposed to limited sneakers and selvedge denim, then does that mean everything is streetwear? HMM

Exactly, none of that shit has anything to do with the streets more so then it does fashion. The term streetwear is any thing but, I wish the term be abolished but hey, it's here to stay.
December 3, 2006 @ 04:30 PM
jjs home

bobby just with your last statement I think you are over-romantiscizing the consumer. to me most of the current consumers have nothing to do with STREET, OR THE CULTURE. look at your blog however many months ago? ya'll made a call for cats to send pics of them skating in TH how many pics you got? 1 was it? Most of the streetwear brands I knew of before the streetwear ovement cats actually ROCKED in the streets. Conart, Ecko, haze, blah blah blah, I mean now the consumer seems like a kid trying to cop an identity with a T shirt. I ain't got no problem with it, and I'm not saying a cat from rural missouri can't be street in the truest sense within streetwear, but point blank period the average consumer has nothing to do with the roots in anyway.

I think the shit bobby said abot the janitor suits is a cop out for YOUR benefit, and those like you. streetwear is DEFINETLY what you see on the streets, but its defnied by the same group who defined it when it came to be. the shit cats 15 to 25 were wearing LIVING a street life. No more, no less, look atEEVRYone who started a historic streetwear brand, supreme started and proliferated by some Ny teen and 20 somethings. Sean stussy started his brand when he was how old? Jeremy story is how old doin streetwear? to me its taht simple

shit is wierd to me and maybe I'm not smoeone with no info, but to be the premier STREEWEAR brand from where I'm from besides supreme is Paulies who is just Vinnies pprivate label because its what cats in the streets really rock. you roll through brooklyn and you'll see that shit in droves. Shit look at the japanese market now, they EATIn pauiles up and they like the supreme barometer of the culture cause they stay trying to jump into it
December 3, 2006 @ 04:39 PM
bobbyhundreds

JJ we're actually on the same page. Most of these kids who are involved with streetwear right now as consumers have absolutely ZERO background or interest in skateboarding. But that doesn't mean that skateboarding isn't one of the biggest influences as to what streetwear is today.

True, there's a disconnect now between streetwear and skateboarding. In my opinion, it's unfortunate, but then again there are the more hesh/punk kids into streetwear that have no interest in streetwear's hip-hop backgrounds as well.

and I actually got like ..uhh.. 4 photos I think. Total. 100,000 different people read the site every week, and only 4 actually sent in a photo of themselves skating?! Goes to show you how much the gap has widened. suprised

jj, so you're saying the "streets" is used more as a metaphor when it comes to streetwear. In terms of young hustle. That makes more sense because we all know Shawn Stussy and Frank met on the Mammoth ski slopes. I think that's a much better explanation than what others have been saying about what you actually see kids wearing ON the street.
December 3, 2006 @ 05:06 PM
jjs home

hahaahah

you arogant prick, we definetly all didn't know those two met on a ski slope. Like I'm dying here laughing that you said it to me like that because you know I would never know some shit like that. but I mean not neccesarliy a metophor exactly. Maybe those guys met skiing or snowboarding, you know better then me, but we do both know sean was involved heavily in skating and surfing which WERE la street culture. thats justa difference in what street culture is, but I mean how can you realy have an INATE stret culture in a fly over state? maybe a few cats skate, but I think as you know in relation to your own life thats not neccessarily street, ya know?

Like for instance the hundreds cmoes from a conglomeration of street inspired ideologies and images from LA. I've said it to you before, your brand does an amazing job drawing upon references of LA street culture references. Car culture, rap (NWA) culture, Hardcore rock culture, punk culture, Skate culture, art culture and just shit that has genuienly been mainstay and rooted among the young men from the LA area

like just a quick example of my favoite piece ya'll have done is the usugrow hoodie. Like yeah its a japanese artist, but the image is very much a play towardscalifornia latino/mexican art and culture. it basicaly looks like the virgin mary which is major in latino catholic and tatoo/art culture. Maybe im wrong maybe I'm right but athts what i see in that piece

I look at supreme the same way. Yes its defined as a skate shop, but look at their most recent line. PE starter jackets paying homage to a prolific NYC rap Group and a style they pioneered. Quilted leather gear as a throwback to 1980's gucci and dapper dan gear, also clearly NYC mainstay. In the past Old school BBall parodies as best described as reproductions of gear taht was HOT in the hoods of NYC, aj3 throwbacks, old school ewing throwbacks, shit they've done so many MOBB DEEP hennesy jersey roductions that its not even funny anymore. Fuck they eevn did a M&N version of it.

bobby you know me, and I think you know I have NO cnocept of the skateboard connect within streetwear because I neevr really ever knew nobody who skated until I came into this industry. All I can say is its clearly there, but the one thing thats obvious is the STREET connect to me, like to me it is the rot of this culture and I'm all for it, and its why i reference a brand like paulies. It doesn't get much more street in NYC then BK and BK reps them, its a no brainer, its made by brooklyn kids for brooklyn kids

to answer the first thing you said though i feel the current consumer has neither a idea of skating OR STREET CULTURE and STREET LIFE. like in real life they would be scaerd of a dude like aron or russ because they neevr seen anything like that
December 3, 2006 @ 05:17 PM
SayWord

You can't really jump to conclusions on consumers.
December 3, 2006 @ 05:21 PM
jjs home

dog don't speak to me I'll do whatever the fuck I please and say whatever the fuck I'ma say. Like honestly you talkin to me is what had me typin all that long shit before and I still don't see no reasno to respect any shit you say
December 3, 2006 @ 05:35 PM
SayWord

Take it easy clownshoes, I don't know who stuck the stick up your ass, but you are taking the enjoyment to far. I didn't say, nor do I care about what you say (seeing that most of your post on these forums are shitty anyway). I'm saying There is a lot of generalizations about the consumer in this topic period.
December 3, 2006 @ 05:43 PM
two_eight

i used to break back in the day, id say around 97 and was led onto tribal from that, a few years later in 2000 they did a tribal/obey collab that got me onto obey, only place that had obey online back then was dg, from there i got into ten deep, the hundreds, future relic, the seventh letter, and then recently got into crooks and rebel 8.
December 3, 2006 @ 05:48 PM
JN3WMN

if a person discovered streetwear via DG shits funny to me, because it relates to NOTHING streetwear is about. Its whatever but i find it funny

well whether u like it or not, the internet has done a lot for the entire streetwear industry & consumers alike. so if a person finds out about a website that sells streetwear & his interest peaks, then what is so wrong with that? i admitted that the internet definetely helped get me interested in the industry, so if it helps me & helps the industry, then how is that sad or funny? your entire comment is what's funny...you basically said the internet "relates to nothing streetwear is about." why don't you educate everyone on what streetwear is about then?
December 3, 2006 @ 06:10 PM

Inactive

bigger kids were beating me up, so i google'd streetwear
December 3, 2006 @ 06:39 PM
freshbook

ALL YOU KIDS LEARNED ABOUT 'STREET' WEAR FROM THE INTERNET, FUNNY.
December 3, 2006 @ 06:42 PM
Bones

My friend got me into it by taking me around shops in the Chi...
December 3, 2006 @ 07:26 PM
Fallen Angels

streetwear has such a broad meaning now, depends if you mean the new generation hypebeast brand stuff? or does old school stussy, nike, and polo count? cuz in 1994 when i was in 6th grade i was rockin stussy tee's and hoodies, and walkin in airmax 90s. haha.. a lot of Polo and Nautica back in the day too (its not streetwear brands but they were worn as streetwear where i was). after 2000 i was into 555 soul and LRG and was on DigitalGravel for years. then i started traveling to asia a lot and often read magazines like Milk and i started fuckin with a lot of asian brands. then i found the Hundreds in 2005, and i think that lead to HB.
December 3, 2006 @ 09:07 PM
SayWord

youre rediculous.

no reason to come across so nasty when im just speaking my mind. there was nothing in what i wrote that doesnt make complete and honest sense.

thanks for putting me down though.

I'm sorry.

now lets make out
December 3, 2006 @ 09:13 PM
pipokun

well whether u like it or not, the internet has done a lot for the entire streetwear industry & consumers alike. so if a person finds out about a website that sells streetwear & his interest peaks, then what is so wrong with that? i admitted that the internet definetely helped get me interested in the industry, so if it helps me & helps the industry, then how is that sad or funny? your entire comment is what's funny...you basically said the internet "relates to nothing streetwear is about." why don't you educate everyone on what streetwear is about then?

you're right, the internet's been great for exposing all these brands and lettin them cake, but it made them lose what the this whole scene was about. but it's like current day hip hop, generally speaking the essence is gone. once it get's big, it can't go back.
December 3, 2006 @ 09:53 PM
Reefermadness

Since when I had my first puff!!!!!
December 3, 2006 @ 10:22 PM
hotsriracha

Stussy growing up. Digital Gravel. TRUE SF. & Underground hip-hop.
December 3, 2006 @ 11:31 PM
AlwayS_DreSSeD

Well, I Googled Lupe Fiasco Like About 8 Months Ago, And His Blog On Hypebeast Came Up, One Thing Led To Another (No Homo)...

I Always Wore Those Ecko Graf Tees And LRG About 3 Years Ago But I Wasn't Into Streetear Until Like The Start Of The Year Really

www.NickyDsss.com

December 4, 2006 @ 01:03 AM
JN3WMN

Elite Boardshop.

lol. i'm in the same area.
December 4, 2006 @ 01:38 AM
JN3WMN

Jimmy, the reason skateboarding is the considered the root of streetwear is that almost every significant "street" brand/designer/company, past or present, was heavily influenced by skateboarding in some way. Definitely not ALL, but the vast majority. Whether it's Supreme or Foreign Family, almost everyone involved in the industry can point to either skateboarding or skate culture as one of their stronger reference points.

I agree when you say the skaters around you today aren't really wearing anything crazy, but modern skateboarding is on a different plane than where it was at a decade, or 2 decades, ago. Just flip through old Thrasher/Big Brother/Transworld skate mags from the 80s and 90s and you will see that everything that is talked about on this forum, and worn on the streets today, was already being thrown around years ago by names like Mike Vallely (cargos and chain wallets), Josh Beagle (bright oversized graphics on rave-y t-shirts), Jason Dill (skating in $200 denim in the early 90s, when that would be like skating in a Versace suit today), Jamie Thomas (hesh) and Heath Kirchart (flannels).

You have Mighty Healthy's logo as your icon, and I'm sure you know that those dudes have as much roots in skateboarding as being NYC.

you're definetely right...skateboarding has greatly influenced streetwear & designers alike. i do realize that a lot of the creators behind great brands are deeply rooted in the skate scene.

i was just saying that there isn't a direct correlation, or natural progression if u will, between streetwear & skateboarding. basically meaning that just because someone skates doesn't mean that they're naturally going to be involved in streetwear, which was what a few people on here were saying.

the two things definetely have a connection, but someone who enjoys skating isn't always exposed or is always going to be involved in streetwear. that was all i was saying.
December 4, 2006 @ 02:07 AM
SupremeXJesus

10 deep and crooks and castles yo.
December 4, 2006 @ 02:29 AM
wassupaness

i always liked Nikes, ever since the infra reds , but i grew up in SF and started graf cause i liked bright colors. The Dunks were the next shoes i liked cause of the colors, and it evolved from there.
December 4, 2006 @ 02:42 AM
Japan4

I was never involved in streetwear.

rilly doe?

Please login first to reply.