FALL SALE - 20% OFF - USE CODE: FALL20 (48 HOURS ONLY)
December 2, 2006 @ 07:12 PM
EekaMouse

use to work in downtown & stumbled across unsteady.
December 2, 2006 @ 07:31 PM
CUTT

Because I didn't like wearing the same stuff my friends had. I have been like this since I was in grade school. I never liked wearing the same stuff other kids had. I am 23 now and still feel the same way.
December 2, 2006 @ 07:46 PM
bobbyhundreds

t&c surf, b.a., maui&sons, gotcha, quiksilver, rusty, bear surfboards, h.i.c., hard rock t-shirts, raiders hats, oakley razorblades, stussy, mossimo, no fear, yaga (or was it yosa? no one ever knew), gat, sjobeck, 26red, blur, sophisto, eightball, droors, drawls, acme, tbags, powell-peralta, underworld element, hookups, new school, the new deal, freshjive, xlarge, fuct, hang ten, dickies, ben davis, judge none choose one (jnco), AAA tees from the swap meet, dub, typea, dragon, twist, ecko, triple5soul, supreme, alife, red5, project dragon, ssur, APE, priceless, j.money...

skateboarding, snowboarding, graffiti, hip-hop, rave, drugs, straight-edge, hardcore, emo, spirituality, politics, reading, not being popular, not being the favorite child, not being white, not being the smartest, not getting girls, not being the richest, not being a jock, and definitely not being cool.

something like that.
December 2, 2006 @ 07:52 PM
Show100

4 years ago, I used to wear Ecko and when they were promoting the hell out of Complex I grabed a couple of issues and it opened me up to digital gravel. Once I saw all the dope as shirts that didnt cost 40 bucks a pop I started to do more research on the brands I liked and of course it leads you to mad different websites and once i found the spots that sold it in the Chi it's been a wrap!
December 2, 2006 @ 07:53 PM
Jay_Bird

the skateboarding culture

the internet
December 2, 2006 @ 07:54 PM
rasclaaat

So I'm the only one on this board who shopped at Supreme in the 90's and remembers alife before Rivington Club, or even when UNDFTD opened?

Either you guys are 14 or live in Oklahoma.

I was around for all of that and then some. started interning for a streetwear/design company in the 90s...been living off this game for damn near a decade. my first exposure to streetwear was Stussy...think that was in the early 90s...stussy was the shit back then when they had the ill handstyle and the rasta influenced steelo. thanks to the internet you don't need to be from NY or LA to discover streetwear now and i think that's dope.
December 2, 2006 @ 08:20 PM
entangledvyne

I was dating an asian girl from lowell, about a year ago. so i got a taste of what it was like to be a minority.. heh anyhow i was at a new years eve party, kinda quite cuz i was the only white kid there. but there was this asian kid wearing some Ice creams, and i was like Damn are those like those pharrell shoes?! and he was like yah man ice creams!! Low and behold they were fakes but whatever. That got me into bape, and i went down to NYC to check out the bape store, and i walked passed supreme and i was like shit that looks cool, so i copped the "never Rat" fitted. I did me some research and well like almost everyone else im not a fan of Bape/BBC any more, but im as big into streetwear as my budget allows me too.
That girl sucked, but hell i'm glad i got into streetwear so i wouldnt have changed a damn thing!
December 2, 2006 @ 09:02 PM
FxCMYfOB

looking for shoes on the net then stumbled upon this site.
December 2, 2006 @ 09:07 PM
SayWord

Complex did have me looking for nice clothes a while back too. Was always reading gq.
December 2, 2006 @ 09:50 PM
RedOraNYC

im from the streets so i guess i alwasy been into street wear

Red Ora NYC

December 2, 2006 @ 09:55 PM
JN3WMN

yeah complex is definetely giving streetwear a lot of mainstream attention now. same goes for celebs all of sudden rockin' streetwear during award shows, concerts, etc. i know since that pic of jay-z rockin' the pins hoodie & the lost tee came about...those products have literally been flying off the shelves at my local shops.
December 2, 2006 @ 10:09 PM
ice grillz

ive always bought and sold clothes on ebay. but before I was into streetwear, all id wear was Akademiks and Iceberg (LOL, remember them).

Anyways,about 2 years ago.. Im searching on ebay for a nike parody tee, and I found the Spoonfed "Nike Head" tee, then I did some more searching and found out about Mighty Healthy from there "Buddha Bitches and Beepers" tee, then I found out about Dave's Quality Meats store, and its all history from there...

aren't you a scammer?

TOP $$$ FOR - SUPREME ROSARY TEE/CREWNECK SIZE MED.

December 2, 2006 @ 11:00 PM
scfdefinit

Been looking for clothes online then stumbled on this site.
December 3, 2006 @ 12:26 AM
MeccaDon718

I used to check for a lot of bape shit, but couldn't afford it. I don't know, I just started seeing shoes that where hot on this site, then the clothes started looking good too.

I hate bape now too btw.

Basically the same thing for me. but I always used to shop in SoHo since I was a senior in high school but it was mostly for Diesel sneakers, hitting up Atrium, or Pulse.

Complex did have me looking for nice clothes a while back too. Was always reading gq.

Complex also had me looking too. It was always the older issues that I would back on the most tho
December 3, 2006 @ 12:28 AM

Inactive

Southern california native. first skateboard in 86. Stussy, Airwalk and Vision started it off for me in 88. Vans since birth.

oh yeah bobby, it was YAGA. btw im coming up on monday...buy me some lunch!
December 3, 2006 @ 01:29 AM
muhfuhkuh

t&c surf, b.a., maui&sons, gotcha, quiksilver, rusty, bear surfboards, h.i.c., hard rock t-shirts, raiders hats, oakley razorblades, stussy, mossimo, no fear, yaga (or was it yosa? no one ever knew), gat, sjobeck, 26red, blur, sophisto, eightball, droors, drawls, acme, tbags, powell-peralta, underworld element, hookups, new school, the new deal, freshjive, xlarge, fuct, hang ten, dickies, ben davis, judge none choose one (jnco), AAA tees from the swap meet, dub, typea, dragon, twist, ecko, triple5soul, supreme, alife, red5, project dragon, ssur, APE, priceless, j.money...

skateboarding, snowboarding, graffiti, hip-hop, rave, drugs, straight-edge, hardcore, emo, spirituality, politics, reading, not being popular, not being the favorite child, not being white, not being the smartest, not getting girls, not being the richest, not being a jock, and definitely not being cool.

something like that.

Sounds like a common progression.

Grew up reading my brother's Transworld and Thrashers with Pushead drawn covers and watching "Curb Dogs" and falling on my ass riding a yellow Vision skateboard. I sucked at skateboarding so I shelved that and went on to reading/writing zines and minicomics during their 80s heyday. So, I was always indie cool

Always respected the t-shirt culture, being the South is as hot as it is. We rocked Big Johnson, Jimmy'Z, Quiksilver, Duck Head, Jamz, flea market Bart Simpson drug-themed bootleg shirts and shirts with big text saying stuff like "Don't ask me for SHIT" and "Fuck the World", Panama Jack, Calvin (from Calvin and Hobbes) pissin' on a Nascar driver car numbers, Cross Colours, Generra, Polo shirts, those Structure all-over print polos, Izod/Lacoste, Coca-Cola branded clothing, Gucci T-shirts (even though they NEVER made t-shirts), Ocean Pacific, neon/hypercolor, Swatches. That kind of stuff.

Shoes I grew up with: Jordans, Reebok Pumps, Bass brown patent leather shoes, slip-ons (of the "that was my skull" Spiccolli variety).

So, that's the pedigree.

Oh, BTW, the South started that Hyphy stuff when I was coming up. For better or worse smile

www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWJaPdMkzo4
December 3, 2006 @ 06:15 AM
-ROCKSTAR-

I got into sneakers and then the whole streetwear thing just became like a natural progression or something like that

basically
December 3, 2006 @ 09:04 AM
Dj Is So Real

I was out hagertown outlets n the dude in the polo store tol me to check out pit crew....been in it ever since
December 3, 2006 @ 09:56 AM
JKISSI

I got into sneakers and then the whole streetwear thing just became like a natural progression or something like that

same dude...
December 3, 2006 @ 10:32 AM

Inactive

Well for me, when I was younger, Hip Hop has always shaped what I wear. I rocked Jordans since the 1st pair dropped. I rocked Hilfigers, Nauticas, Polos around the Grand Puba time period, IceBerg, Versace, around 95-96. Always was into sneakers to match with my outfits. Always had some different gear mixed in with my wardrobe inspired by Graf and tagging. Thats when I found Ecko. Never knew about limited kicks until I heard the Nas line "italian air forces with the basket weave" I went on a missions to find them (copped them) and discoved a whole subculture of rare, limited kicks and streetwear. Found Hypebeast not long after which turned my sickness into a full fleged disease that I still havent found a cure for yet. .....dont want one either!
December 3, 2006 @ 11:40 AM
mvg5678

It was actually from Time magazine. lol. There was an article about sneakers and how these people camp out for them and they mentioned kix files and hypebeast in there so yeah. it was about a year and a half ago
December 3, 2006 @ 01:12 PM
mr. newbie

dunk x change

how the hell do you get into streetwear from skating? i'm not saying you're lieing, but who skates in nice clothes? and most skaters i know don't give a damn what they have on, they just wanna skate.
December 3, 2006 @ 01:38 PM
Theseventhletter

the love of all things ghetto graff breaking DJing rapping did a littl ekating as a kid so uhh i guess thats howconfused
December 3, 2006 @ 02:07 PM
JN3WMN

yeah i don't really understand how people use skating as a natural progression into streetwear. most skaters i know just rock whatever, usually just skate brand clothes...most don't give a damn about streetwear.
December 3, 2006 @ 02:51 PM
pipokun

growing up and living life in NYC. I thought the reason why it's called streetwear is because you see it on the streets and was a natural sphere of influence of minds alike...i personally got into it because of social influence. just a natural way of being influenced as you see it on people. it's NY, so you def see the difference in the way different groups/areas of people dress and i was always attracted towards the downtown scene.

but 95% of the scene is the internet now huh? well as long as you're exposed to it i guess? but i def feel the appeal that was once there is GONE. i used to see bape gear ONCE in awhile on people walkin the downtown streets and wondered where the hell they copped that from? this is in the late 90s. streetwear shit is just way too easy to get now and it's boring.
December 3, 2006 @ 03:04 PM
SayWord

originally, streetwear was exactly for what it is named after.

people representing what they did on the daily. graf writers, breakers and the like.

now every suburban asshole has a pair of dunks/af1's.

its lost its meaning and turned into a marketing idea.

the answer for 99%* of everyone on here is the same. theyre doing it because everyone else is.

*not intended for the actual 1% of people on here that actually have a clue.

Kill yourself
December 3, 2006 @ 03:18 PM
SayWord

I don't think many of the big brands now would be here if it wasn't for brands like roc-a-wear, ECKO, etc.. giving inspiration.

All of this shit speaks to the street. I don't care if they drew inpiration from skating or graffing, many of these brands are feeding off the idea that they are street, when all honesty, they are far from it, unlike OG street brands (FUBU, PurePlayaz). Fuck what you believe. I've ALWAYS been into streetwear. From Cross colours, to Boss, to Fubu, to Girbuads. Now I'm fucking with "Streetwear" brands like C&C, and 10 Deep, etc.... And people say that shit is street, but hate to see a homie in the hood rocking it because it's fucking up their steez. Fuck that shit. The Streets make their own style, and thats what makes this shit popular. The hood and the streets dictate what is hot and whats not. If these brands are going to market themselves as street then they, and the people that fuck with them should be proud when the streets take notice. You can take all that skateboard, graffing, etc...shit somewhere else. I am and I always will be street, and I don't need some brand started by rich college students to validate it, so fuck those guys and fuck the people who think they are above people that these brands try so hard to claim to be street.
December 3, 2006 @ 03:27 PM
JN3WMN

growing up and living life in NYC. I thought the reason why it's called streetwear is because you see it on the streets and was a natural sphere of influence of minds alike...i personally got into it because of social influence. just a natural way of being influenced as you see it on people. it's NY, so you def see the difference in the way different groups/areas of people dress and i was always attracted towards the downtown scene.

but 95% of the scene is the internet now huh? well as long as you're exposed to it i guess? but i def feel the appeal that was once there is GONE. i used to see bape gear ONCE in awhile on people walkin the downtown streets and wondered where the hell they copped that from? this is in the late 90s. streetwear shit is just way too easy to get now and it's boring.

i don't think it's boring at all. not everything is easy to get...a lot of people still ask where i cop my shit from. it's not like it's so overexposed that every single person knows about it.
December 3, 2006 @ 03:32 PM
SayWord

And lets call it what it is. If it's inspired by graffing, skateboarding, and any other bullshit, that people try so hard to cling a hold of because they are too cool for school, then why not call it artwear, or indiewear. The hip-hop aspect of fashion was always reperesented, as was punk rock and metal.

Does futura even tag walls anymore or is he too busy doing shitty collab jobs like the terrible supreme and aNYthing shirts for paper and recognition?

this whole "scene" is bullshit Because life is M.O.E. I at least respect those that keep it real, whether it be about making paper or actually staying true to your roots.
December 3, 2006 @ 03:38 PM
SayWord

I don't know, I'm mad at this whole thing. I'm mad at the bandwagoners. I'm mad at the Snobs. I'm mad at the brands. Everything is out of wack.

Please login first to reply.