May 1, 2013 @ 10:07 PM
IanReagan

Supreme is suing Married to the MOB for their parody tee "Supreme Bitch" after James sold it in Union NY 10 years ago... The greed is deep 
http://mttmnyc.com/blogs/mob-blog/7790365-supreme-bitchiness-a-statement-from-leah-mcsweeney-about-being-sued 

BUSINESS // DESIGN // TRAVEL

May 2, 2013 @ 03:19 AM
BEENHUSTLINGNINEFOUR

I thought the founder of MTTM worked for Supreme at some point? Shit's sus.

hot water

May 2, 2013 @ 07:49 AM
Resznja

They did, and at the time, Jebbia pretty much gave them the go ahead to make "Supreme Bitch" happen

Seems kinda brash, but it's the hash. I mean the harsh truth.

May 2, 2013 @ 04:53 PM
moderndark

They did, and at the time, Jebbia pretty much gave them the go ahead to make "Supreme Bitch" happen
Jebbia said he thought it was gonna be a one off that's why he gave the blessing back then. MTTB went on and built their brand with it. Jebbia is smart to let them grow, then sue them. Pretty much on with Jebbia in this.
May 2, 2013 @ 05:54 PM
SilvioDante

fuck MTTM hang off Supremes Coat tails and trying to ride it.
May 2, 2013 @ 06:16 PM
oneallah

hope supreme wins,
i hate that supreme bitch knockoff shit
although supreme is wack too now
May 2, 2013 @ 06:42 PM
Chuck E

document breakdown here....shit is fucked up. especially when James doesnt have a trademark on the Box Logo (which is admited is a rip-off in document) smh. bad day for 'preme
http://www.complex.com/style/2013/05/supreme-court-the-12-greatest-moments-of-supremes-legal-battle-with-leah-mcsweeney/

I got stupid juice.....i bust the stupid moves.

May 2, 2013 @ 08:18 PM
David Bolin

I don't know much of Supreme's background, have they ever tried to copyright the box logo design?

I understand the point of the people who will inevitably bring up the Barbara Kruger rip off, but I don't think that's really a fair comparison. Not saying the box logo is totally original or anything, but MTTM is obviously piggybacking off Supreme on that design (Making their anti-misogny statement... Somehow) as Supreme have made the design so iconic in the world of streetwear. And some people love to wear rip off designs of something they want but can't get for one reason or the other, word to 40oz Van.

Supreme, however, I don't think they're trying to piggyback off Kruger necessarily. They spun off designs that have notoriety in the art world and injected it into the streetwear world. MTTM took an idea from the streetwear world and reciprocated it. And, in my personal opinion, made it look fucking obnoxious.
May 3, 2013 @ 02:34 AM
francoisxx

" When McSweeney was just using “Supreme Bitch” as a graphic there didn’t seem to be a problem.  It’s when she filed a Trademark Application that Jebbia took action.  Filing a Trademark Application is tantamount to McSweeney saying she wants to use “Supreme Bitch” as a logo.  She wanted to make it more than a graphic – and make it a mark used to identify her brand.  Knocking-off a brand in good fun is one thing, knocking-off another brand’s logo to use as your own is an entirely different matter."

http://www.missomnimedia.com/2013/05/my-two-cents-supreme-sues-mob-over-supreme-bitch-design/

feedback: http://hypebeast.com/forums/buyerseller-feedback/201196

May 3, 2013 @ 05:12 AM
jamesjebbia

" When McSweeney was just using “Supreme Bitch” as a graphic there didn’t seem to be a problem.  It’s when she filed a Trademark Application that Jebbia took action.  Filing a Trademark Application is tantamount to McSweeney saying she wants to use “Supreme Bitch” as a logo.  She wanted to make it more than a graphic – and make it a mark used to identify her brand.  Knocking-off a brand in good fun is one thing, knocking-off another brand’s logo to use as your own is an entirely different matter."

http://www.missomnimedia.com/2013/05/my-two-cents-supreme-sues-mob-over-supreme-bitch-design/
Yeah - and Supreme stole the shit out of their logo from Barbara Kruger, in which she recently made a statement stating "What a ridiculous clusterfuck of totally uncool jokers. I make my work

about this kind of sadly foolish farce. I'm waiting for all of them to

sue me for copyright infringement.".

Supreme has gone to fucking hell, and they are corrupting this streetwear market into a clusterfuck of shit. I fucking hate Supreme and all of their hypeboys. Go ahead, dislike this post, I could give less of a shit - when I see you on the sidewalk rocking a stupid fucking colored hoody with a stupid little box graphic that says Supreme, I'll laugh my ass off at you and call you a "HYPE BOY WANNABE". I'm fed up with all these Supreme followers and wearers. Pisses me off to see Supreme suing another company for the EXACT SAME SHIT THEY DID.

I hope to god Barbara Kruger get's involved in this, and sues Supreme AND MOB for millions. She deserves it.
you're obviously an idiot
May 3, 2013 @ 06:20 AM
jamesjebbia

how can you think supreme and mob did the same exact thing...
May 3, 2013 @ 03:09 PM
SHARKlN

Supreme's gonna get out of this one well ahead. I don't think they would have filed the suit without a bit of counsel first, and it was definitely in their best interests to move forward.

This girl tried to trademark the shit, claiming parody and 1st amendment to protect her. She's trying to legitimately sell a direct replacement product to the same or parallel market. It's not fair that MTTM can just add a word to the end of something and have it sell. James didn't do that when he ripped from Barbara, and that's where Barbara completely misses the point of the lawsuit when she says "I'm waiting for all of them to sue me for copyright infringement". It's not as simple as "James stole from Barbara, so anyone can steal from James." You have to look at what the copy is, how the trademark is established, what markets are affected, and who benefits in what ways. Barbara is only relevant here if she wanted to sue supreme. I'm sure she doesn't, because then she wouldn't have the credibility as an artist to project those feelings onto Supreme and MTTM, like she did in her .doc

In the end, Leah, James, and Barbara are just trying to preserve what they do. Unfortunately for Leah, it's illegal.
May 3, 2013 @ 05:30 PM
qrct1

To say that Supreme is unfairly suing is a bit harsh.
They've spent decades putting together timeless pieces, making landmarks in streetwear and icons out of underrated talent.
And they've had all their efforts accrue to their logo.
Their theft recontextualized and brought new meaning to the bold italic oblique futura font that BK made famous and formed a counterculture out of that. Their contribution to streetwear undoubtedly outweighs the cheap appropriation by Married to the Mob, whose only appeal really does piggy back off of the brand image of supreme and Rihanna's co-signage.

aeterna13.com

May 4, 2013 @ 12:19 AM
Okay.

Supreme got inspiration from kruger for their logo, it wasnt a straight rip.
She didnt invent red rectangles, she cant do shit.
Supreme can prolly get away with sueing MTTM since its a straight rip off of their logo

where the azn girls at

May 4, 2013 @ 01:17 AM
SaintLaVie

greed or principle?

The Making of a Saint! Formerly @redoranyc

May 4, 2013 @ 03:44 AM
imanikehead23

they're becoming the apple of streetwear. just trying to dominate the game and crush every other brand.  so hypocritical, like other people said, their logo is copied off another artists idea. and its not like other clothing brands used that box logo style and put it on their shirts

For Sale: Air Jordan XI Concord 2000 Retro sz 10 VNDS Air Jordan VIII Retro White/True Red sz 10 NDS PM me if you're interested.

May 4, 2013 @ 08:55 PM
cityofsavages

City of Savages Clothing http://shop.thecityofsavages.com "Live Free or Die"

May 4, 2013 @ 10:01 PM
PAPOUCHE

^ As much as I like Supreme, I don't completely understand the point of singling out one specific brand and suing them for something that a lot of brands have been doing for years now. It's not like they own the rights to the box logo anyways...

Karmaloop.com Rep Code: "PAPOUCHE" Booger Kids Clothing Representative Discount Code: "PSICARD0319"

May 4, 2013 @ 10:22 PM
cityofsavages

^ As much as I like Supreme, I don't completely understand the point of singling out one specific brand and suing them for something that a lot of brands have been doing for years now. It's not like they own the rights to the box logo anyways...
You got to figure they're just trying to make an example out of a brand people know to deter others from doing it.

City of Savages Clothing http://shop.thecityofsavages.com "Live Free or Die"

May 6, 2013 @ 02:47 AM
illikaspain

Thats ridiculous how can you sue for giving the blessings of using the logo later and then sue them... Bitch move!!
May 8, 2013 @ 02:00 PM
jamesjebbia

Supreme got inspiration from kruger for their logo, it wasnt a straight rip.
She didnt invent red rectangles, she cant do shit.
Supreme can prolly get away with sueing MTTM since its a straight rip off of their logo
exactly
May 8, 2013 @ 03:04 PM
Moises Arias

O.K. to put it in simple terms for you guys, supreme isnt suing because MTTM used a box logo. If MTTM made a shirt called "MTTM bitch" they would not be getting sued because Supreme would have no case against them. the difference between MTTM and countless of other supreme rips is MTTM isnt using her clothes to make a simple joke or make a "statement". She using supreme success as a way to make her brand more successful There are already countless of people out there who know of supreme but doesnt know where to buy it. If MTTM is allowed to copyright "supreme bitch", they are stealing away hundreds of potential supreme buyers. Imagine if you were James Jebbia and knew you were losing millions of potential buyers because another brand is allowed to sell your gear in stores like zumies, forever 21, or hot topic. You would be pissed too. 

My name is ASAC Schrader, and you can go fuck yourself.

May 10, 2013 @ 07:38 AM
al_sharpson

It is what it is....

Looking for: Nike Lunar Woven Chukka+ "Multicolor" Sz 12 Nike Lunar Rejuven8 Mid FCRB Sz 12 or 13

May 10, 2013 @ 09:33 AM
rezist

O.K. to put it in simple terms for you guys, supreme isnt suing because MTTM used a box logo. If MTTM made a shirt called "MTTM bitch" they would not be getting sued because Supreme would have no case against them. the difference between MTTM and countless of other supreme rips is MTTM isnt using her clothes to make a simple joke or make a "statement". She using supreme success as a way to make her brand more successful There are already countless of people out there who know of supreme but doesnt know where to buy it. If MTTM is allowed to copyright "supreme bitch", they are stealing away hundreds of potential supreme buyers. Imagine if you were James Jebbia and knew you were losing millions of potential buyers because another brand is allowed to sell your gear in stores like zumies, forever 21, or hot topic. You would be pissed too. 
True.  More of a business move than a claim of artistic injustice because he doesnt want MTTM to become known as the womens version of Supreme or as a knock-off of Supreme, both of which cost him money.  I think he's just flexing with this suit.  Probably be settled out of court though
May 10, 2013 @ 12:29 PM
Nigo2002

Surely the fact that they had verbal consent form Supreme's owner would make this whole thing void?

Please login first to reply.