Free Worldwide Shipping on Orders Over $150.00 USD or more - Use Code: HBSHIP150
March 6, 2013 @ 02:47 AM
gannawil

I am a freshmen studying Finance at the University of Kansas in Lawrence, Kansas. My career goal is to become a buyer or seller for a large or even boutique fashion company such as Barneys, Bloomingdales, J. Crew, Saks 5th, etc,. I am concerned the education I am getting at KU is not going to be sufficient for the competitive jobs I am wanting, thus I have applied to multiple schools elsewhere, such as, FIT, Parsons, NYU. I have received my acceptance letter from FIT for the Fashion Merchandising program, but my potential plan is to switch to Menswear. However I am concerned that not receiving my Finance degree will limit me if I were to want to make my way up even farther in a fashion company. What is the market wanting? Will getting a Finance degree in addition to getting a particular fashion degree set me apart from other designers? Or is my Finance degree not necessary? Should I stay at KU finish my finance degree and then attend FIT for menswear design after graduation? Or take the opportunity I am given now and go to FIT and forget about getting a finance degree? 

WCGIV

March 10, 2013 @ 09:03 AM
ridoy

I'm majoring in Finance also and I want a career in the fashion/Menswear industry but I'm confused and have no idea as to what steps to take in order to get into the industry. However, I think that staying in the Finance path is the best option because with a Finance degree you will have more options with different variety of careers and also you can try contacting different brands you would like to work with. Anyways, good luck with everything!
March 15, 2013 @ 11:25 PM
VLCMx

I work for Saks, and if you want to be a buyer, it's important to be knowledgeable in finance, so I'd recommend taking it. Plus, if you do change your mind and decide not to be a buyer, you can still use your finance degree for something else.

In addition, it's important to intern and work in order to acquire experience. Even if you do get your degree, if you don't have experience, then what good is that? Try to find jobs/internships that are relevant to what you want to do. Also, since those companies love to promote from within, try finding an internship or a job with them that way you're also building up your networks (you get to meet important people that can help you get the job). We usually have people from corporate visiting allll the time, so we tend to have a lot of opportunities to talk to them about our goals and the position we'd eventually like to move into.

Hope all this helps. Good luck.

Please login first to reply.