300+ New Sale Items (Up to 80% Off Selected Brands)
November 15, 2012 @ 07:45 PM
Tyler

So after being involved in streetwear for the better half of a decade, I've seen the landscape of the industry shift dramatically.

So I created a questionnaire to gauge what everyone on this forum thinks about streetwear compared to what I thought about streetwear when I first got into it.

This isn't for a brand or company, just my personal curiosity.

It's a short 10 question questionnaire and if anyone wants to see the results when I'm done analyzing them I'll share.

HERE IS THE QUESTIONNAIRE

Tyler, The Fucking Hater My brand: WOODER www.woodersupply.com

November 15, 2012 @ 11:48 PM
Tyler

Thanks for the responses so far!

November 16, 2012 @ 12:21 AM
minsct

Mind sharing the results when you get a good amount of participants? These are interesting questions.

THE VISIONARY IS YOU - www.minsct.com

November 16, 2012 @ 12:52 AM
Tyler

Mind sharing the results when you get a good amount of participants? These are interesting questions.

Sure, I figure it'll be helpful for a lot of young brands and people starting brands. It's a new type of customer today. streetwear consumers are WAY more discerning and value conscious (actual and perceived) than they were then. People read stories about how The Hundreds got started and think it still happens like that today.

November 16, 2012 @ 12:57 AM
minsct

Sure, I figure it'll be helpful for a lot of young brands and people starting brands. It's a new type of customer today. streetwear consumers are WAY more discerning and value conscious (actual and perceived) than they were then. People read stories about how The Hundreds got started and think it still happens like that today.

Your absolutely right. I've seen this shift in streetwear aswell.

With regards to kids looking and The Hundreds and thinking thats how it happens is kind of a tricky concept. I think that brands still make a name for themselves through organic growth (starting out in the poor apartment shipping out tees). But for those looking at The Hundreds trying to imitate what they did. Well, that will just get you no-where. People look for originality, quality, personality and authenticity in a brand. These things are not easy to accomplish.

November 16, 2012 @ 03:22 AM
Tyler

brands do make a name for themselves out of organic growth, almost all businesses in general do. But what I'm getting at more is when The Hundreds, ssur, undefeated, bape, anything etc. got started, streetwear was this relatively new thing that only a few people knew about, which was really the entire appeal of it. It was something different that some people knew about, but was still sub-cultural. Now, what we think of as streetwear could be considered mainstream style and consequentially one that has lost a lot it's uniqueness.

Early on, you didn't have to have a quality, original, authentic brand. As long as you had some edgy t-shirt graphics, you could sell and build from there. Today, people don't buy into that stuff anymore because it's been used over and over. In my opinion, they don't care about small brands anymore. And as a result you have this weird in between period in a culture (like right now) where the customer is there from before, waiting for something equally as sick, but doesn't care to invest time and a little money in a young company starting out because they are literally all still just shittier versions of the brands who made it 10 years ago.

November 16, 2012 @ 07:43 PM
minsct

As I agree with some of the things you are saying. I do believe that people still buy into small brands. Take mine for example, I've been in business for about a year and have already had multiple sales from around the world from people who want to support us. I think that it is hard to produce product that is extremely original (which is what people are looking for) but if you are willing enough to push boundaries then it is still possible. I also believe that some people are looking for personality in a brand. If they can connect with the individuals running the company, then they are much more likely to feel a connection to what they make. Wearing a t-shirt means supporting a philosophy.

In terms of small brands that are thriving right now and/or have had great success in the past:
Stray Rats
Dertbag
Indscn
Raised by wolves
etc.

You do have a point though.

November 19, 2012 @ 12:16 AM
Tyler

Thank you to everyone that has given their input on the questionnaire! So far there is about half of the amount of responses needed (24) to get an accurate measurement, so if you haven't filled it out please do. So far the different perspectives people have about streetwear are pretty interesting.

November 19, 2012 @ 12:23 AM
Tyler

Wearing a t-shirt means supporting a philosophy.

Perfectly said.

Your definitely right though about those brands on the come up, well except for Dertbag, he had access to the OF fame catapult.

At what point would you say a brand becomes established/legitimate?

November 19, 2012 @ 06:04 AM
Bet

Wearing a t-shirt means supporting a philosophy.

Perfectly said.

Your definitely right though about those brands on the come up, well except for Dertbag, he had access to the OF fame catapult.

At what point would you say a brand becomes established/legitimate?

When you see 100 kids on the with the same shirt in WDYWT. But for real when people are actively trying to find the brand and their products.
November 21, 2012 @ 11:48 AM
tuesdaygirlfriend

as far as graphics go, i think there's a lot less of that, and the majority of things have been dumbed down to text.

don't get me wrong, text graphics are still graphics, but what i'm trying to say is that, from when streetwear began, i feel like it was a really graphic heavy industry with meaning, message, and philosophy behind the graphic. nowadays, it seems as if people are going more for the t-shirt with the text graphic with the message slapped across the front of the tee (ie: comme des fuckdown, etc).

and when i say dumbed down, i don't mean that streetwear is falling off and becoming stupid, or whatever, i just meant that everything is becoming simple. good thing simplicity is key.

just my observation.
November 21, 2012 @ 12:59 PM
SHARKlN

My opinion is that there will always be a status quo, and good fashion is outside of the status quo by definition and necessity.
With an ever homogenizing popular culture, the "new" status quo has grown to contain streetwear, among other things that were once considered edgy or bold like skateboarding or whatever. It's a necessary growth, and the players have recognized this. It's true that you can't start up brands in the same way you used to be able to, but isn't that true for any industry? The whole point is that technology and growth in consumer markets definitely change things, but the brands who are able to adapt best and provide the consumer with the product they demand stay on top. That does not mean to buy into trends as so many of these young brands try to do. It means designing something new to capture the market demand and establish a long term customer base.
November 24, 2012 @ 12:09 PM
neliuss

Just answered the questions, I'm interested in seeing the results as well. I have a pretty strong opinion about the subject of most of the questions, and I'm looking forward to see what other people think about it.
November 24, 2012 @ 03:38 PM
Tyler

Closed the survey.
The results will be up in a day or so.

Please login first to reply.