October 23, 2012 @ 08:35 AM
dunceanddreamer

I remember a few years back seeing my two favorite brands do a collabo together. Nowadays however, it is pretty much on a daily basis that some brand X some other brand are doing a collabo.

The question i'm trying to get your opinions is, are brand collabo's played out? Opinions welcome!!

Waking up & Dreaming. www.facebook.com/DunceandDreamer @dunceanddreamer

October 23, 2012 @ 11:03 PM
washedaway

Do you think its beneficial for an up and coming brand to do a collaboration with another up and coming brand?
October 24, 2012 @ 12:34 AM
xdylanx

Do you think its beneficial for an up and coming brand to do a collaboration with another up and coming brand?

Seems like a good idea for both brands. I don't see why it would be a bad thing at all.
October 24, 2012 @ 01:40 AM
th3kid

They aren't necessarily dead. Just bastardized. Now it's not just based off hype. Now, the quality of the collab actually has to be good. For instance, UNDFTD has recently done a collab with Bape and also another collab with WTAPS. 6 or 7 years ago people would cream over the collabs just because it's two hyped brands. Now, imo, the collabs don't sell as well if they aren't as good. Don't get me wrong though, people still buy it based off brand, but I think now people are more critical of the collabs since the market is saturated with them.

I don't know that it is. It's sort of a neutral thing. If both brands are unheard of people won't really care that it's a collab. In my area there are two spots to buy streetwear, Moda 3 and Sky High, if they were to collab on a shirt, no one would really care much since the streetwear culture is so minor here. So if it's a minority in it's own city, then of course it won't make much noise to the rest of the country/world unless it's something truly remarkable. My point being, if both brands have minuscule supporters it's sort of a pointless thing.

Unless, it's something like what Death Precision Inc. did. DPI did a collab with 5th Column 6 months to a year ago. At the time DPI wasn't as known (as far as I know) as 5th Column was. Although both brands are relatively unknown, 5th Column has enough clout to reach more radars than DPI would have if they did a collab with a lesser known brand.

I would say just build on your own until a brand approaches you. That way your word and input has more power. You'll know you're making an impact if a brand, especially from another city/country, approaches you.
October 24, 2012 @ 03:50 AM
washedaway

Completely makes sense. Thanks for the opinions!
October 24, 2012 @ 04:22 AM
adoboFosho

They aren't necessarily dead. Just bastardized. Now it's not just based off hype. Now, the quality of the collab actually has to be good. For instance, UNDFTD has recently done a collab with Bape and also another collab with WTAPS. 6 or 7 years ago people would cream over the collabs just because it's two hyped brands. Now, imo, the collabs don't sell as well if they aren't as good. Don't get me wrong though, people still buy it based off brand, but I think now people are more critical of the collabs since the market is saturated with them.

I don't know that it is. It's sort of a neutral thing. If both brands are unheard of people won't really care that it's a collab. In my area there are two spots to buy streetwear, Moda 3 and Sky High, if they were to collab on a shirt, no one would really care much since the streetwear culture is so minor here. So if it's a minority in it's own city, then of course it won't make much noise to the rest of the country/world unless it's something truly remarkable. My point being, if both brands have minuscule supporters it's sort of a pointless thing.

Unless, it's something like what Death Precision Inc. did. DPI did a collab with 5th Column 6 months to a year ago. At the time DPI wasn't as known (as far as I know) as 5th Column was. Although both brands are relatively unknown, 5th Column has enough clout to reach more radars than DPI would have if they did a collab with a lesser known brand.

I would say just build on your own until a brand approaches you. That way your word and input has more power. You'll know you're making an impact if a brand, especially from another city/country, approaches you.

i heard of dpi
whats 5th column?

http://www.ebay.com/usr/adobo_fosho... selling black/white flyknits... look like yeezy!!!

October 24, 2012 @ 07:45 AM
dunceanddreamer

Thanks for your feedback so far guys. So basically the conensus im getting is that due to the frequency of collaborations popping up here, there and everywhere its more now about the actual product and the quality of the garment has to stand out as the consumer is a bit more savvy?

(feel free to disagree).

Waking up & Dreaming. www.facebook.com/DunceandDreamer @dunceanddreamer

October 25, 2012 @ 08:03 PM
ArsonsandArchitects

Collabs can't be played out if their done correctly.
October 29, 2012 @ 08:53 PM
3>2.96

Collabs can never be played out. AS LONG AS THEY ARE DONE RIGHT!!!

3296.us “Hell, there are no rules here – we’re trying to accomplish something.” – Thomas A. Edison

October 29, 2012 @ 08:56 PM
iAmSofaKing

Of course if its over done, like the past year, it can seem played out. But like what people said, as long as its done right it'll never be played out

For Sale: Large Navy Supreme Floral Polo WTB: Medium Black Supreme Roses Football Top

Please login first to reply.