Get 15% Off + Free Shipping on Orders over $150 - Use Code: EPICSUMMER
August 18, 2012 @ 11:18 PM
BurntThreads

Do you care about the "About" page that clothing brands tend to have on their website? Does it matter to you at all? I'm starting a brand and trying to write something for the about page. Maybe I'm over thinking this but I noticed many people talking about how amazing the story is that Johnny Cupcakes has on his website, so I felt a need to put some effort into my page.

MY CLOTHING BLOG: http://burntthreads.tumblr.com

August 18, 2012 @ 11:27 PM
tronwin

It's not necessary, but it definitely makes the site more personable. As long as you keep the focus and quality on the clothes, that's what's going to matter. But the background and thought process to any idea never hurts. People don't need to click on the "About" page of your site, but it will be there for those who do want to know some info.

In regards to the amount of effort you should put in, just put something out there that you're proud of. That's the best you can offer to all of your followers/customers.
August 18, 2012 @ 11:40 PM

Inactive

Its necessary because it helps consumers understand ones herritage, aim, history, etc. Its a good element to present.
August 19, 2012 @ 12:09 AM
cityofsavages

Do you care about the "About" page that clothing brands tend to have on their website? Does it matter to you at all? I'm starting a brand and trying to write something for the about page. Maybe I'm over thinking this but I noticed many people talking about how amazing the story is that Johnny Cupcakes has on his website, so I felt a need to put some effort into my page.

I think it's definitely necessary especially for a new brand.

City of Savages Clothing http://shop.thecityofsavages.com "Live Free or Die"

August 19, 2012 @ 03:23 AM
xdylanx

Most of the time its embarrassing. If a brand gives some corny ass definition of the words in their name and tries to make some deep statement with it, I'm not gonna buy anything.
August 19, 2012 @ 06:42 AM
Jake Ocean

http://www.herschelsupply.com/about

Absolutely. Investing time into writing what your brand is about is crucial.
The 'about page' isn't just a page, it is the message of your brand. It's the reason why your brand exists.
You mentioned Johnny Cupcakes, the reason why his brand is so successful is because of his story and the way he expresses it.

Just stay true, and it should come naturally.

http://www.distantlight.co

August 19, 2012 @ 03:30 PM
Gwyn

I wanted to get a Herschel bag and I'm skeptical that they sell at zumiez now..

edit: The about page brings personality and charisma into a website and the founders, Gives you something to read when you are waiting for their product in the mail! It definitely wouldn't hurt, maybe a return policy page and other stuff would help consumers, I'm not into marketing, just from a consumer perspective.

"I don't really care about the downvotes. If people read my comment my point was made." - redditor.

August 20, 2012 @ 12:53 AM
BurntThreads

Thanks for the replies. Also if there are any about pages you think are good examples, I would like to read them.

MY CLOTHING BLOG: http://burntthreads.tumblr.com

August 21, 2012 @ 02:46 AM
minsct

Check out my brands about page. Click on 'vision' over at www.minsct.com

Don't get me wrong though. Don't go copy what other brands do or say in their about page. Do you. Thats it.

THE VISIONARY IS YOU - www.minsct.com

August 21, 2012 @ 02:50 AM
xdylanx

Check out my brands about page. Click on 'vision' over at [url=http://www.minsct.com]www.minsct.com[/url ]Don't get me wrong though. Don't go copy what other brands do or say in their about page. Do you. Thats it.

Whether it be surfing cold swell on the pacific coast, skating a freshly paved road or exploring the back alleys of a sprawling urban jungle, everything created by Minsct is born through inspiration. Our unique influence and attitude stem from the relentless desire to expand the mind. Within the name MINSCT itself you will find the platforms to which inspiration is borrowed:

Music
Imagination
Nature
Sport
City
Technology

This is exactly what I'm talking about. Its corny as fuck and makes it seem like you're trying too hard. L et the clothes speak for themselves. No need to force a "deep" message behind them.
August 21, 2012 @ 06:24 AM
minsct

This is exactly what I'm talking about. Its corny as fuck and makes it seem like you're trying too hard. L et the clothes speak for themselves. No need to force a "deep" message behind them.

But heres the thing homie. If you were trying to run brand you would know that there is deep meaning, extreme hard work, and massive amounts of inspiration that go into creating garments, establishing a brand and bringing a dream into fruition. A true passion is not a half-ass'd project with no story behind it. But I guess if its not for you, its not for you. No worries.

THE VISIONARY IS YOU - www.minsct.com

August 22, 2012 @ 05:41 PM
casein_point

In short, yes. Would I buy some clothes from a company without an About section? Sure, if I liked it enough. BUT if I'm a consumer and you want to make me a LOYAL consumer (very big difference between the two) then I need to feel comfortable with what your company presents as its brand. This means everything from the clothes, the about section, to how you market yourself. Clothes are clothes so if something is dope and they like it they will buy it, but the hard thing is to bring customers back in. Turning that one sale into hundreds of sales. Thats where I feel things like the about section and how you market a brand comes into play.
August 23, 2012 @ 05:26 AM
AndyRocksBluu

I'm just going to jump on the bandwagon and say yes. Just remember that the clothing industry is SUPER over saturated. Your about page should explain whats makes you different from the rest or what you do better.

http://bluudreams.com/ #DiveIn

August 24, 2012 @ 05:15 PM
stillwild

Check out my brands about page. Click on 'vision' over at [url=http://www.minsct.com]www.minsct.com[/url ]Don't get me wrong though. Don't go copy what other brands do or say in their about page. Do you. Thats it.

Whether it be surfing cold swell on the pacific coast, skating a freshly paved road or exploring the back alleys of a sprawling urban jungle, everything created by Minsct is born through inspiration. Our unique influence and attitude stem from the relentless desire to expand the mind. Within the name MINSCT itself you will find the platforms to which inspiration is borrowed:

Music
Imagination
Nature
Sport
City
Technology

I feel you. I'm as much of a brand owner, as I am a fan of street wear.
So when I see these all-encompassing about sections, I can't help but be like -- .... I can't even, and click off somewhere on the internet.

But I've been there as well Minsct. There's a balance between injecting your personality in your brand's voice/ creating and shaping an authentic brand voice from your products/ consumer realities, business aspect. I don't think you've struck it Minsct. This just seems like an amalgam of "stuff", something few brands manage to successful at conveying as value to people. Specifically as value, people will pay for.

All I see is an unrelated mass. So yes, Dylan to some degree, I feel you.

In short, yes. Would I buy some clothes from a company without an About section? Sure, if I liked it enough. BUT if I'm a consumer and you want to make me a LOYAL consumer (very big difference between the two) then I need to feel comfortable with what your company presents as its brand. This means everything from the clothes, the about section, to how you market yourself. Clothes are clothes so if something is dope and they like it they will buy it, but the hard thing is to bring customers back in. Turning that one sale into hundreds of sales. Thats where I feel things like the about section and how you market a brand comes into play.

He's got it best. As a fan. I want you, as a brand, to make my experience as a customer, almost substantiated by your about page. Sell me. That 45.00 (35.00, 25.00) hoodie that's made and influenced by the woods and skyscrapers and Jay-Z -- why should I care to buy yours? Should I buy it because Minsct is based on inspiration?

Bennygold.com. Cooler. More obviously focused on design (inspiration). Stay gold mantra encapsulates as does the about page. Sold.

Phidiasgold.com. Cooler. ACTUALLY ABOUT INSPIRATION. 10th muse. Creative mascot to show it. Bam. Sold again.

You can't just cast a wide net of cool things to say you stand for something. Like you said the industry is saturated. Bring something. Mean something.

www.stillwild.co / online store that celebrates nature!

Please login first to reply.