June 16, 2012 @ 03:01 AM
keety

I'm starting out making a few shirts and I've already did a few searches into a few shirt companies, does anyone know if using a tax id makes a difference for whole sale, most sites I see don't mention a tax id and from working with other distribution channels in the past, this strikes me kinda odd?

Feel free to suggest some companies, quality baseball t shirts at a fair price...is something I'm looking into as well...though I do have some companies in mind, obviously I'm open to suggestions.

I have two local graphic designers I've contacted and I'm not sure where to go with them at the moment but if anyone on here is willing to work with me or you have any suggestion for fair priced high quality designs then I'd appreciate the feedback.

Now beyond screen printing, where do look as far as stitching goes?

I see local shops getting 5 panels made and I may just have to ask them but obviously stitching is involved ...so I'm assuming its a valid question.

Thanks for the feedback.
June 16, 2012 @ 04:16 PM
Jake Ocean

as far as graphic design goes, you get what you pay for. you shouldn't base your decision on the prices. average price of one design from a graphic designer is around 250 - 500 dollars. you could probably contact a graphic designer, and if you're looking for more than one piece, you could work out a package deal. it is well worth it in the end. you can choose a graphic design pertaining to the style you like from Mintees.com or Dribbble.com

http://www.distantlight.co

June 16, 2012 @ 07:57 PM
DBCEE

I'm starting out making a few shirts and I've already did a few searches into a few shirt companies, does anyone know if using a tax id makes a difference for whole sale, most sites I see don't mention a tax id and from working with other distribution channels in the past, this strikes me kinda odd?

Feel free to suggest some companies, quality baseball t shirts at a fair price...is something I'm looking into as well...though I do have some companies in mind, obviously I'm open to suggestions.

I have two local graphic designers I've contacted and I'm not sure where to go with them at the moment but if anyone on here is willing to work with me or you have any suggestion for fair priced high quality designs then I'd appreciate the feedback.

Now beyond screen printing, where do look as far as stitching goes?

I see local shops getting 5 panels made and I may just have to ask them but obviously stitching is involved ...so I'm assuming its a valid question.

Thanks for the feedback.

Find someone who will produce the designs for you for no charge, or learn how to do it yourself.

Find a good local seamstress/tailor thats willing to work with you, most are wiling to negogiate for big jobs and more $$.
June 17, 2012 @ 06:53 PM
Jake Ocean

^ This dude is wrong. No one with any good graphic design skills will do it for you for free. you can do it yourself, but that depends on how serious you want your brand to be. if you have no experience in the field, don't do it your self.

http://www.distantlight.co

June 17, 2012 @ 09:28 PM
meltmybones

I agree with Jay here. Go after the best graphics artists you can find. It's amazing to see lines drop top dollar on screen printing and the best blanks but cheap it out on the graphic which at the end of the day are what will sell the line. Doing the art yourself whilst in theory sounds good the learning curve is too high for 99% of people to pull off and you'll end up putting out sub par graphics which will tank your line.
June 17, 2012 @ 09:51 PM
keety

I think a lot of designers do end up giving you what you pay for...there is nothing wrong with that. Then there are those that aim at making top dollar even with simplistic designs(which I have a mind) and in a way I feel like some like to take advantage of that.

I'm looking for a middle ground between quality design for a reasonable price....I have simplistic ideas but I guess its up to the artist to decide how much their effort is worth to put into them.

Do any of yall have tax ids for wholesale purchases?
June 17, 2012 @ 10:43 PM
DBCEE

^ This dude is wrong. No one with any good graphic design skills will do it for you for free. you can do it yourself, but that depends on how serious you want your brand to be. if you have no experience in the field, don't do it your self.

Settle yourself junior, I told him that because I'm assuming that his START-UP business doesn't have sufficient capital to pay for a good graphic designer just yet. Maybe I shouldn't have assumed so and he's fully loaded and ready to go, but we don't know that yet.

@ OP, do you have a written business plan including financial analysis/forecasting? Any financing lined up at all?
June 17, 2012 @ 11:11 PM
keety

I just had a g at my disposal and though about putting that into a start up line...I have a wholesale tax id from other endeavors that I think can come in handy with purchasing shirts for printing.

My idea was to just make some designs and start screen printing them...hand out a few to local shops for nothing(possibly) and throwing them to a few local artist and taking it from there...obviously its not that easy but thats my start up plan.
June 17, 2012 @ 11:29 PM
DBCEE

A wholesale tax ID will def come in handy down the road when you're ready to start buying/selling at that level. For now I think it would be a good idea for you to get a few really solid designs together that you're super hyped about and print the fuck out of them. Hand them out for free like you were saying. Sell some of them if you can, but a major mistake that the majority of small brands make is that they expect to start making money right off the bat. You've got to spend money to make money! Gain some notoriety and then go from there! Good luck man
June 17, 2012 @ 11:44 PM
keety

At the moment I'm just building ideas but yeah I think a lot of people focus on sales too much right off the back...when in reality that needs to come last.
June 18, 2012 @ 12:20 AM
cityofsavages

Certain wholesalers will ask for a Tax ID but there are many who don't require one also if you want to set up a business bank acct. for your brand all banks will ask for your Tax ID number.

City of Savages Clothing http://shop.thecityofsavages.com "Live Free or Die"

June 18, 2012 @ 12:24 AM
cityofsavages

I just had a g at my disposal and though about putting that into a start up line...I have a wholesale tax id from other endeavors that I think can come in handy with purchasing shirts for printing.

My idea was to just make some designs and start screen printing them...hand out a few to local shops for nothing(possibly) and throwing them to a few local artist and taking it from there...obviously its not that easy but thats my start up plan.

I suggest creating some pins and stickers with your logo on them first before you begin printing shirts it'll help get the word out about your brand. Typically they are cheap to produce and people love them, they'll pin them on their jackets or hats and wear them everyday and promote for you everyday without thinking of it.

City of Savages Clothing http://shop.thecityofsavages.com "Live Free or Die"

June 18, 2012 @ 12:37 AM
keety

Maybe some stickers, I could throw up but pins....I don't know about that.

People love free shit and with some decent designs, I can see some local artist loving it.
June 18, 2012 @ 01:04 AM
Kamikaze

Maybe some stickers, I could throw up but pins....I don't know about that.

People love free shit and with some decent designs, I can see some local artist loving it.

Do a lot of stickers
June 19, 2012 @ 12:13 AM
th3kid

You have to look at paying for a graphic designer and you doing it or having someone else do it for free. If you pay, you get great graphics every time, if you do it yourself, your brand might have a better story in the long run, look at a brand like 10Deep, their old graphics really weren't that good, so that makes me think they weren't paying for their graphics (and if they were they got got). Which gives them a good story in the long run because now they have great graphics. So they have a more interesting timeline where you can see the progression.

Now if you pay for a graphic, it's almost like you don't have key factor for a streetwear brand (assuming that's what you're talking about starting). Since streetwear brands don't place as big an emphasis on the cotton they use or cut of their products, they place a big emphasis on the graphic. You might feel a sort disconnect from your pieces if you don't do them, BUT you will have EXCELLENT graphics. Being that graphics is one of the main selling points for a newer brand you will more than likely have a better introduction if they're done professionally.

It's all about how you want your first impression to be. Only you know what you want for your brand.

Please login first to reply.