Get an Extra 20% Off Sale Items - Use code: EXTRA20
June 10, 2012 @ 08:00 PM
aaronstrdywngs

Your product isn't going to sell unless you market it properly. This forum is for people to share and express their ideas/views on how to advertise your company effectively. I recently started a brand and have been having some trouble thinking outside the box for an effective marketing campaign. Whether it be internet videos or sponsoring, which do you think works best?

Rad produced not mass produced: www.strdywngs.com | strdywngs.tumblr.com

June 10, 2012 @ 08:33 PM
noneotherclothes

Im having the same probelm

Like us on facebook at www.facebook.com/noneotherclothing and get some gear at noneotherclothing.com!

June 10, 2012 @ 09:06 PM
black

This is one of those things no one can tell you, every brand is different, there is no right way. You have to put in your own trial and error work, this is a perpetual issue with a clothing company, you deal with it everyday, you have to learn it yourself if you want a fighting chance.

blackmfg.co fitted goods

June 10, 2012 @ 10:31 PM
rabbitman

Stickers. Lots of stickers. More sticker than you could even imagine.

be careful what you pretend to be

June 14, 2012 @ 09:05 AM
cityofsavages

Your product isn't going to sell unless you market it properly. This forum is for people to share and express their ideas/views on how to advertise your company effectively. I recently started a brand and have been having some trouble thinking outside the box for an effective marketing campaign. Whether it be internet videos or sponsoring, which do you think works best?

Events help a lot, because the internet makes everything so easy for us sometimes people forget about making a real life connection with the consumer. We recently had our 3 year anniversary at Atlanta's New Era Flagship (Click the links to see pictures)Part 4 Part 3 Part 2 Part 1 and it we feel like it's helped us out alot as far as spreading the word about our brand is concerned. Even if you can't use a venue like a popular boutique or store for your event if you promote an event well enough/ to the right people you will see some success. Throwing your own events is a great way to to push things along.

City of Savages Clothing http://shop.thecityofsavages.com "Live Free or Die"

June 14, 2012 @ 08:44 PM
Kamikaze

Stickers. Lots of stickers. More sticker than you could even imagine.
June 15, 2012 @ 08:40 AM
zerotny

i think each saler in your shop can wear your brand's clothing with their own styles and match with some accessories that can be pretty good!!!
June 15, 2012 @ 07:17 PM
Torch

Start a streeteam that will pass out stickers
June 15, 2012 @ 08:05 PM
mobbyluii

its all about how much time/work you put into it. Sitting at home on twitter following thousands of people wont help AT ALL.. you honestly have to go out, not be shy, let people know what you have and why you do it, like the guy above said, make stickers that have the site/tumblr/twitter etc but dont base your brand only off of social media.. make videos, contact local artists to wear your gear for free if they can put the name in the video, and things like that.. It will take time but good things happen to those who are patient and work hard for what they want..

IG: @mobbyluii

June 15, 2012 @ 09:50 PM
th3kid

If you're a customer of the market, then you know how to sell in that market, you're just over thinking it.

You have a new clothing brand, you need a few things:

-Good design(s)
-Great lookbook
-Celebrity cosign
-Local clout/Reputation of being a trendsetter in your area

Start with the first one, the most obvious one, you need to have good designs. I don't think I need to really explain that one. You're going to need a great lookbook if you don't plan on having celebrity cosign (celeb cosign does help a lookbook though). The lookbook needs to showcase the pieces in whatever setting your brand is meant to represent (at least IMO, those are the strongest lookbooks). But you have to be careful that the activity in the lookbook doesn't outshine the clothing to a point where you forget to look at the pieces and you're just looking at what the people are doing. There was a brand a couple seasons ago that had people smashing TVs and setting things on fire, and by the third picture I had completely forgot it was a lookbook because the action in the picture was outshining it. Just be balanced with the lifestyle and the pieces in the lookbook and you'll be good. Celebrity cosign is ALWAYS great for marketing. You have to know the right people to send merchandise to though. You have to keep your ear to the streets for the hot artist now and the next hot artist. You also need to check for celebrities friends because that's often an easy way to get the bigger celebrity see your piece. And finally, local clout can be GREAT. Let's say you're in high school and you start a brand, wear your shirt to school, people will ask, you tell them it's yours and people will want to buy it. My friends and I started a brand my Senior year of HS, we made $700 in a month off 75 shirts in our HS alone because I was known as "the white boy with the shoes/expensive clothes" and my other friends had real popularity where everyone knew their name and whatnot.

Other things to keep in mind:

1. Organic. Make sure you force as little as possible. If you can't think of anything new, don't panic. And don't worry about keeping up with your demand as much as an Econ or Marketing class will tell you. In this market, you can drop one item a season and it will sell out instantly IF you have the right mixture of things, look at 40oz Van, he dropped ONE hat and made 11k off it about 6 hours.
2. Exclusivity. People love to know they have the only one of one of few of anything. Don't be afraid to produce ONLY 25 of a design and never produce it again. It helps build hype from those that miss it because they'll be ready for the next release and those that miss that one will be waiting for the next release and so on.
3. Give back. A lot of bigger companies have loyalty discounts and free something after you buy so many things. I haven't seen or heard of any brands really have anything like that. I feel like a brand that gives back to the people and spends some money on things for them will see it returned to them ten fold by the customers.

I think that's more than enough free game. Lol
June 16, 2012 @ 12:22 PM
noneotherclothes

Its very hard to get your name out there but I have doubled the views on my site due to Hypebeast. noneotherclothing.bigcartel.com

Like us on facebook at www.facebook.com/noneotherclothing and get some gear at noneotherclothing.com!

June 16, 2012 @ 05:38 PM
aaronstrdywngs

Its very hard to get your name out there but I have doubled the views on my site due to Hypebeast. noneotherclothing.bigcartel.com

Do you just post your stuff around the forums man? Thats awesome that you've doubled your views.

June 16, 2012 @ 05:40 PM
aaronstrdywngs

If you're a customer of the market, then you know how to sell in that market, you're just over thinking it.

-Good design(s)
-Great lookbook
-Celebrity cosign

Start with the first one, the most obvious one, you need to have good designs. I don't think I need to really explain that one. You're going to need a great lookbook if you don't plan on having celebrity cosign (celeb cosign does help a lookbook though). The lookbook needs to showcase the pieces in whatever setting your brand is meant to represent (at least IMO, those are the strongest lookbooks). But you have to be careful that the activity in the lookbook doesn't outshine the clothing to a point where you forget to look at the pieces and you're just looking at what the people are doing. There was a brand a couple seasons ago that had people smashing TVs and setting things on fire, and by the third picture I had completely forgot it was a lookbook because the action in the picture was outshining it. Just be balanced with the lifestyle and the pieces in the lookbook and you'll be good. Celebrity cosign is ALWAYS great for marketing. You have to know the right people to send merchandise to though. You have to keep your ear to the streets for the hot artist now and the next hot artist. You also need to check for celebrities friends because that's often an easy way to get the bigger celebrity see your piece. And finally, local clout can be GREAT. Let's say you're in high school and you start a brand, wear your shirt to school, people will ask, you tell them it's yours and people will want to buy it. My friends and I started a brand my Senior year of HS, we made $700 in a month off 75 shirts in our HS alone because I was known as "the white boy with the shoes/expensive clothes" and my other friends had real popularity where everyone knew their name and whatnot.

1. Organic. Make sure you force as little as possible. If you can't think of anything new, don't panic. And don't worry about keeping up with your demand as much as an Econ or Marketing class will tell you. In this market, you can drop one item a season and it will sell out instantly IF you have the right mixture of things, look at 40oz Van, he dropped ONE hat and made 11k off it about 6 hours.
2. Exclusivity. People love to know they have the only one of one of few of anything. Don't be afraid to produce ONLY 25 of a design and never produce it again. It helps build hype from those that miss it because they'll be ready for the next release and those that miss that one will be waiting for the next release and so on.
3. Give back. A lot of bigger companies have loyalty discounts and free something after you buy so many things. I haven't seen or heard of any brands really have anything like that. I feel like a brand that gives back to the people and spends some money on things for them will see it returned to them ten fold by the customers.

You speak sense man. Great advice. Thanks.

June 16, 2012 @ 06:13 PM
ChicagoLDRS

Do you have a brick and mortar store? What are some ways to promote your store and store location w/ out being tacky, cliche, etc. You want to drive people into the store but you don't want to be like a Chinese Takeout slipping coupons under peoples doors or have a dancing guy on the street holding your sign like a carwash.

Any ideas?

Fuck Tha Opps...No Love City

June 17, 2012 @ 12:23 AM
Nems

Fill a duffel bag full of paint and go bombing. And don't forget your stickers!

Universal Article www.universalarticle.com

June 17, 2012 @ 12:26 AM
cityofsavages

-Good design(s)
-Great lookbook
-Celebrity cosign

Great response.

City of Savages Clothing http://shop.thecityofsavages.com "Live Free or Die"

June 17, 2012 @ 11:10 AM
aaronstrdywngs

Do you have a brick and mortar store? What are some ways to promote your store and store location w/ out being tacky, cliche, etc. You want to drive people into the store but you don't want to be like a Chinese Takeout slipping coupons under peoples doors or have a dancing guy on the street holding your sign like a carwash.

Any ideas?

I have my own clothing brand but it is stocked in a skate store I work in. We are one of the biggest leading skate and snowboard stores in the UK and the owners don't use marketing strategies like flyers through doors etc, as you already stated it looks tacky kinda like a chinese takeaway.
What we do is hold skate or snowboard events when we can. Make some banners and flyers, get them up around local skateparks and give out some prizes from your shop. Sponsorship is another good one. We have a shop skate and snowboard team. Along with stickers, free stuff and merchandise, the shop has become very successful over time.

June 17, 2012 @ 01:18 PM
noneotherclothes

Do you just post your stuff around the forums man? Thats awesome that you've doubled your views.

yeah thats what i did, plus twitter and facebook.

June 19, 2012 @ 12:30 AM
mrteebonilla

just find some local celebrities to start rockin the shit, kids who like them will rock it, then they will start posting about it, and other kids will see it, and that is how it can spread.

Supreme4Sale:CDG3HoodieRedSzM//Proxy/Pre-Order Service PM for info #TeamTony #CokeWave #ToneSosa #SS14PBG#

June 19, 2012 @ 01:19 AM
hkeys

Marketing your brand can be one of the hardest/funniest ways of branding. The best fundamentals to lay down would be to have a good social outlet. Having facebook, twitter accounts, tumblr/blogs, and Instagram help out a lot. A lot of your marketing depends on your "target" or what you claim it to be. Definitely putting pictures up on here and having your own thread can help. It doesn't mean you're going to have a lot of sales just based off of doing these things. Designs need to be solid, good quality materials, and at least have a good story about your brand. Having rappers and other "celebrities" rock your stuff is always a plus. Sticking slapping everything can work too. Hope some of this helped y'all. Stay Divided!

http://thedividedminds.com/

http://store.thedividedminds.com/

http://hypebeast.com/forums/fashion-brands/169080/?topic_page=1

June 20, 2012 @ 05:01 PM
noneotherclothes

Marketing your brand can be one of the hardest/funniest ways of branding. The best fundamentals to lay down would be to have a good social outlet. Having facebook, twitter accounts, tumblr/blogs, and Instagram help out a lot. A lot of your marketing depends on your "target" or what you claim it to be. Definitely putting pictures up on here and having your own thread can help. It doesn't mean you're going to have a lot of sales just based off of doing these things. Designs need to be solid, good quality materials, and at least have a good story about your brand. Having rappers and other "celebrities" rock your stuff is always a plus. Sticking slapping everything can work too. Hope some of this helped y'all. Stay Divided!

yo man what kind of shirts do you guys print on?

June 20, 2012 @ 05:57 PM
TEST/model

What are you trying to sell?

It seems that a lot of people think that a logo on a t is a brand. It isn't. A brand is what you are, or do. You WILL sell shit with your logo on it if people want to associate with your "brand". Be authentic first and the rest will follow.
June 20, 2012 @ 07:42 PM
brandonenemy

Hot models always do well. Recruit strippers for promo videos! it works trust me! Heres an example http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pcmu2TgXDcg

Cool Kids Can't Die -- www.anotherenemy.com

June 20, 2012 @ 08:57 PM
noneotherclothes

My biggest problem is the people that do my printing they keep messing up

June 20, 2012 @ 09:52 PM
hkeys

yo man what kind of shirts do you guys print on?

The older ones were Gildan and Anvil since we were starting up. But, now it's Alstyle "AAA"

June 22, 2012 @ 07:12 AM
birthofheroes

you need a new website. Bigcartel is fine but that background looks like a lyrics page for some church music
June 22, 2012 @ 11:11 AM
noneotherclothes

you need a new website. Bigcartel is fine but that background looks like a lyrics page for some church music

what do you mean?

July 6, 2012 @ 09:41 PM
timelessthrills

Timeless Thrills | www.timelessthrills.com

July 7, 2012 @ 01:05 AM
Gwyn

Seeing people wear the merchandise is what got me caught in buying the clothes, EVEN though I had to order it, yeah what a trend follower..

"I don't really care about the downvotes. If people read my comment my point was made." - redditor.

July 7, 2012 @ 01:47 AM
noone

I haven't read all of the responses, but I did see stickers which are good, but also use any free social networking that you can. Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, etc. Use those services to your advantage....I mean after all they're free so it wouldn't hurt to try.

N1S. www.n1sclothingco.com Instagram: n1sclothing

Please login first to reply.