April 4, 2012 @ 01:18 AM
lorinrobb24

Hello everyone.

My name is Lorin. For those of you on hypebeast thats creating your own t-shirt brand. I would like to discuss creating a brand idea for you t-shirt business. Most of us are going through this process right now. I would like to get some advice to help me understand better.

Lorin for No Brand Logo

April 4, 2012 @ 01:43 AM
stillwild

What're you passionate about? Apply it to your brand. I can't really provide a better avenue for inspiration than that.
Case and point, explore some of the more popular clothing brands. The Hundreds, based on california's general and skateboard culture, and it's effect on Bobby and Ben. Think long and hard, don't rush out an idea, let it stew, and forget your first idea; it'll probably suck, or tweak and tweak your first idea, until it's something your happy with.

Happy trails.

www.stillwild.co / online store that celebrates nature!

April 4, 2012 @ 01:53 AM
lorinrobb24

What're you passionate about? Apply it to your brand. I can't really provide a better avenue for inspiration than that.
Case and point, explore some of the more popular clothing brands. The Hundreds, based on california's general and skateboard culture, and it's effect on Bobby and Ben. Think long and hard, don't rush out an idea, let it stew, and forget your first idea; it'll probably suck, or tweak and tweak your first idea, until it's something your happy with.

Can i give you my first idea?

Lorin for No Brand Logo

April 4, 2012 @ 02:09 AM
Dare.

Happy trails.

What if the thing your passionate about had been done?

?

April 4, 2012 @ 02:22 AM
lorinrobb24

It seems that more brand base their brand idea a certain culture or lifestyle. Do you guys agree?

Lorin for No Brand Logo

April 4, 2012 @ 07:54 AM
stillwild

Happy trails.

What if the thing your passionate about had been done?

Well with the assumption that your making a streetwear brand, most everything has been "done". Black Scale & Bloodbath & Mishka. Three brands based on the occult, all vastly different takes on it. If you're willing to be creative and think outside the box, you'll shine regardless.

April 4, 2012 @ 08:16 AM
JOHNNYPREMES

very good parallels
April 4, 2012 @ 06:17 PM
lorinrobb24

Last night, I read all the "about us" pages from different brands that I discovered on Hypebeast. One brand I idenified with had a similar brand idea/message. They incorporated their message very well into their clothing. Their meassage really connected with me. As a result, I decided to purchase a t-shirt from them, but my size was out of stock. The name of the brand was Dramamine. http://store.dramaminela.com/

Lorin for No Brand Logo

April 4, 2012 @ 08:12 PM
alexpounds

Last night, I read all the "about us" pages from different brands that I discovered on Hypebeast. One brand I idenified with had a similar brand idea/message. They incorporated their message very well into their clothing. Their meassage really connected with me. As a result, I decided to purchase a t-shirt from them, but my size was out of stock. The name of the brand was Dramamine. http://store.dramaminela.com/

I like their clean approach. Nothing looks overly done. Thanks for this post.

I don't know when I'll be opening up my online shop for POUNDS / Speak Low merch but hopefully within the year I can do that although realistically, my target date is in Jan. 2013, but I'll drop sneak peeks on here to get feedback and hope for an early release.

Anyways, to the original poster. Just do what feels comfortable to you. Get ppl to critique your ideas/designs but most importantly, design apparel/shirts that speak to you first. That's the most clichest shit to say but I think it's true. I'm not going to design something that I wouldn't rock myself. As far as ideas. A lot of ideas have already been done already. Peep the scene and go from there. Try not to flat out copy another brand's steeze but flip something that speaks to you and what your brand is trying to represent.

I'm a California cat since 1978. It's all I know. So hopefully my brand will reflect that and I will be able to do it tastefully.

Pounds
Speak Low
Alex
April 4, 2012 @ 09:04 PM
lorinrobb24

I like their clean approach. Nothing looks overly done. Thanks for this post.

I don't know when I'll be opening up my online shop for POUNDS / Speak Low merch but hopefully within the year I can do that although realistically, my target date is in Jan. 2013, but I'll drop sneak peeks on here to get feedback and hope for an early release.

Anyways, to the original poster. Just do what feels comfortable to you. Get ppl to critique your ideas/designs but most importantly, design apparel/shirts that speak to you first. That's the most clichest shit to say but I think it's true. I'm not going to design something that I wouldn't rock myself. As far as ideas. A lot of ideas have already been done already. Peep the scene and go from there. Try not to flat out copy another brand's steeze but flip something that speaks to you and what your brand is trying to represent.

I'm a California cat since 1978. It's all I know. So hopefully my brand will reflect that and I will be able to do it tastefully.

Pounds
Speak Low
Alex

Thanks for feedback. I'm enjoying the process of creating a t-shirt brand. Let me know about your releases

Lorin for No Brand Logo

April 5, 2012 @ 04:34 AM
stillwild

I know Dramamine, and I feel quite like you do about them. Good crew over there.
I'll keep an eye out for POUNDS (cool name imo, shoutout to the measurement based brands haha). But you're COMPLETELY right. Sometimes shit that seems common sense is easily overlooked. It was my mantra from day one, and in my mind throughout the whole design process. Gotta be able to wear what your putting out there.

You know, Lorin, I think your thread has more purpose than you know. Creating an IDEA, not your brand name, but an encompassing thread represented throughout your brand (your brand's purpose, niche, whatever) is very important.

I encourage others to come out from the shadows and discuss here. Creative collaboration is good stuff.

April 5, 2012 @ 04:57 AM
lorinrobb24

Understanding your brand's position/purpose is so important. Especially, if your not 100% involved in the "lifestyle" like most brands

Lorin for No Brand Logo

April 5, 2012 @ 05:24 AM
Jake Ocean

dude, honestly, you're not gonna get any where by asking other people on how they create a brand. do your own shit, buy some books, educate your self on it, buy a notebook, sketch, outsource, and get the shit done. Sitting around asking people how they created their brand idea is pointless, cause if you were truly serious and passionate about starting a clothing brand, there would be no need for this thread.

get inspired, visit some museums, scan through your favorite clothing stores, and etc.

it's really all up to you, and how you educate your self.

http://www.distantlight.co

April 5, 2012 @ 05:35 AM
Nems

Enjoy what you do & make $$$ off this shit. Business plan or none just work your plan.
There's customers for everyone... original/creative design or bullshit scribbles. It all good!

Universal Article www.universalarticle.com

April 5, 2012 @ 12:58 PM
lorinrobb24

dude, honestly, you're not gonna get any where by asking other people on how they create a brand. do your own shit, buy some books, educate your self on it, buy a notebook, sketch, outsource, and get the shit done. Sitting around asking people how they created their brand idea is pointless, cause if you were truly serious and passionate about starting a clothing brand, there would be no need for this thread.

get inspired, visit some museums, scan through your favorite clothing stores, and etc.

Lorin: There is no problem with asking question about developing a t-shirt brand Jackolshan. I have already started working on my brand and brought a book or two. In addition, I had to start over since me and my business parter decided to do our on brands. Two months ago I assumed I was ready to come out with the t-shirt line, but I realize that my first collection wasn't stronger enough in my eyes to release. I know its really up to me ( no shit)

Lorin for No Brand Logo

April 5, 2012 @ 03:17 PM
Jake Ocean

Lorin: There is no problem with asking question about developing a t-shirt brand Jackolshan. I have already started working on my brand and brought a book or two. In addition, I had to start over since me and my business parter decided to do our on brands. Two months ago I assumed I was ready to come out with the t-shirt line, but I realize that my first collection wasn't stronger enough in my eyes to release. I know its really up to me ( no shit)

yeah there is no problem with asking questions, but the question you asked is more of something you figure out for your self.

http://www.distantlight.co

April 5, 2012 @ 07:08 PM
lorinrobb24

yeah there is no problem with asking questions, but the question you asked is more of something you figure out for your self.

i agree. The advice I have received from on here has been beneficial in figuring out my brand idea.

Lorin for No Brand Logo

April 5, 2012 @ 09:23 PM
UNscenefuture

I tango with the idea of starting a brand about monthly. I think a brand should reflect what you are into, streetwear is for the most part lifestyle based anyway. Contemplate what your into and see how you can combine all those elements into one. Personally if I ever decide to start a brand it will be based on what I like and not what's hot and current.

Twitter: @UNSCNFUTR | Instagram: UNSCENEFUTURE | Portfolio: http://www.behance.net/unscenefuture

April 5, 2012 @ 11:02 PM
lorinrobb24

I tango with the idea of starting a brand about monthly. I think a brand should reflect what you are into, streetwear is for the most part lifestyle based anyway. Contemplate what your into and see how you can combine all those elements into one. Personally if I ever decide to start a brand it will be based on what I like and not what's hot and current.

Thanks for your post. I'm looking at a lot of brands just to find a correlation with them and niche

Lorin for No Brand Logo

April 6, 2012 @ 09:44 PM
stillwild

Enjoy what you do & make $$$ off this shit. Business plan or none just work your plan.
There's customers for everyone... original/creative design or bullshit scribbles. It all good!

You'll have more success with even the most rough business plan than going in blind.

April 6, 2012 @ 11:01 PM
lorinrobb24

T

You'll have more success with even the most rough business plan than going in blind.

True. I take the most important parts in a business plan and develop a plan from that.

Lorin for No Brand Logo

October 15, 2013 @ 01:40 AM
lorinrobb24

Hello Everyone. This is Lorin. I haven't been on the Hypebeast in a long time. However, this is my current brand project call #FallGrindin

Lorin for No Brand Logo

Please login first to reply.