300+ New Sale Items (Up to 80% Off Selected Brands)
March 7, 2012 @ 06:48 AM
sebas91

Info:

I am a fourth year student from the Amsterdam Fashion Institute and working on my final piece. I started out with a fascination on contrasts and by researching everything about them i discovered that there is a balance between contrasts.
To centre this to fashion i reflected this fact into fashion. The biggest contrast within fashion is one of my biggest passion streetwear and the upscale high fashion. But when they are contrasting one another, they need each other to, there’s they balance again.
In one of my buddy told me that he was a living contrast he was wearing streetwear in the weekend and when he was working he worn way more formal clothes. As the biggest problem he realises that he is growing out of streetwear even though he still loves the lifestyle. A lifestyle that centers around self-expression.

Q:

Do you feel like you are outgrowing the first lifeline of streetwear and what are you looking for so you can wear a streetwear like outfit on a day to day basis while getting older? (streetwear isn't the most representative)
March 7, 2012 @ 08:06 AM
mistertkyo

Taking off the baseball cap is a good start IMO. Seriously, kids have been wearing baseball caps as street
fashion for over 30 years straight now. It's done.
March 7, 2012 @ 09:02 AM
sebas91

Thanks for your reply, but the thing i was thinking about is more like your early 20's till 30's, we all get jobs and most be more representative, we are forced to be more formal but this is contrasting with streetwear, there it is expressive and screamish....

A a younger age we have been putting a lot of intrest, money and time in this lifestyle but we can't dress this way anymore....

so with this i ask again:

Do you feel like you are outgrowing the first lifeline of streetwear and what are you looking for so you can wear a streetwear like outfit on a day to day basis while getting older? (streetwear isn’t the most representative)
March 7, 2012 @ 11:17 AM
karemiks

I'd say the aesthetic is really the same. As we grow older and learn more about fashion in general however I think we start to look for higher quality materials, better fitted items and potentially even ethically better choices. Brands like nudie are a prime example. good quality, well fitted cuts and the organic brand factor. It's by no off chance the brand has become as big as it is now. Another example is the growing presence of traditionally hiking/outdoor companies becoming synonymous with streetwear. The first generation of streetwear followers want higher quality materials used in products (goretex jackets etc.), these brands are the suppliers of such things.

The signature tee/denim/sneaker is still a staple as it ever was, it is just the brands, fits and materials of products that are changing.
March 7, 2012 @ 11:22 AM
tomee

zekers
March 7, 2012 @ 02:19 PM
sebas91

But how do we dress in a job environment? Wouldn't it be nice if there was an streetwear elements based brand with more formal codes?
March 7, 2012 @ 03:24 PM
tomee

But how do we dress in a job environment? Wouldn't it be nice if there was an streetwear elements based brand with more formal codes?

then it wouldn't be streetwear...
March 9, 2012 @ 06:01 PM
nikesoleman

i think there are brands that are making that cross from streetwear to job appropriate wear like pointer and clae.
March 9, 2012 @ 06:08 PM
sebas91

Thanks nikesoleman, and what do you feel for the NSW collection? i mean we all stand in line for a pair of sneakers so we are most definitely loyal to the brand. Maybe a crossover nike brand
March 9, 2012 @ 08:44 PM
JOSTYLES

You can have a balance between the two. It is okay to mix formal or high fashion pieces with staple street fashion pieces. Don't just buy and wear things because they are hyped or because of the brand, think from the perspective of how you can incorporate the item into a fashionable fit.
March 9, 2012 @ 08:47 PM
sebas91

so they perfect combination of streetwear and classy high end fashion makes the perfect fit?
March 9, 2012 @ 08:51 PM
JOSTYLES

Yes in some circumstances. Also some versatile pieces can be dressed up or down like chinos.
March 9, 2012 @ 08:57 PM
Masamune

Cliche as hell but, there's a time and place for everything
March 9, 2012 @ 10:10 PM
sebas91

that's thru but i know that streetwear is all based on unique pieces and showing your own identity....

Im now thinking for my degree about a real cross-over brand so consumers feel understood and doing that with an formilliar brand they keep the connection......

Then it would be something like an streetchiq brand
March 10, 2012 @ 09:35 PM
cgunner

Well to answer the original question, yes i do feel that way. When i was younger it was usually brand this and brand that. But now getting older, it goes more in this order- 1. What looks good 2. Quality 3. Price. Brand doesnt even play a part anymore. Yes there is still some brands i am sadly dedicated to, but im not gonna buy it just its by john doe and co. I will just check their collection first if i need a particular item. And then again its only because i know it looks good, good quality and the price is right for me. Hope this makes sense.
March 10, 2012 @ 10:22 PM
sebas91

Hi cgunner,

it sure make sense! But you are getting older and still have a passion for the culture, do you feel in some kind of a fashion conflict?
March 12, 2012 @ 11:07 PM
cgunner

In what way would there be conflict? Me not logo shopping, but have love for the whole chlture? Hmmm. Maybe in some what ways. But i believe when this all began it wasn't about who you were wearing. It was all about how you wore it. Thats what made it so great. You had to ask someone what kind of shirt is that. But back then it was also trendy for the logos as is now. But i see that as a thing of you want people to know you paid $500 for that jacket. Dont get me wrong i love some of these pieces people create today. But it all comes back to bow you wear it. A person can take a $10 tee and make it look like $60 tee. And a person can also take $300 pair of jeans and make them look like a $30 pair. Hope i didnt blab too much on this one.
March 13, 2012 @ 10:39 AM
sebas91

The conflict i see is about wearing a style when you are getting older and your work, friends, social cirkel doesn't cop it anymore....
You just can't keep wearing heavy printed shirts to your work.....
Some brands like supreme answerd but with what: workwear inspired shit, things that stand so far away from the whole streetwear elements....
Thats the conflict
March 14, 2012 @ 11:33 PM
cgunner

Ok this conflict i can understand. Yeah. But hey work is work. When it comes to your job its alsays gonna be do what you gotta do. Dont go too far out the box. But something i learned along time ago is do what makes you happy. With style its all about being an individual, and just wearing what you wanna wear. There is definitely a few items i wear that always will generate some kind of joke or two. But its whatever. What im in makes me happy. Because its not them i want to dress like.
March 15, 2012 @ 12:20 AM
hakunamutata87

I would say that I have almost completely outgrown street wear. I did used to wear a lot of Diamond Supply, 10 deep, crooks, fuct, triumvir, mishka, and IM KING back in like 2006-2009 and a shit load of Dunk SB's But as I've grown older I've sold most of my shoes, and noticed that instead of collecting shoes, I have been buying a lot more dress shoes and watches. So it's like I traded one collection for another. Back then I would rock some SB's and a T shirt with some selvedge denim. Now I would wear some nice denim or corduroys with a nice pair of wingtips with a chambray button up or some sort of solid button up shirt with a nice watch. Also I've my hair style has changed. Before it was a faux hawk and now I've been rocking the parted hair. Time to time I will rock my Jordans and with some jeans and a jacket. I also still have 9/16 plugs in. Keep in mind that in 2006-2008 I was 19-21. I am now 24 on the verge of 25. So yeah I think your style just matures as you grow older. But you also get more attention from females if you dress your age and is always clean cut. No 25 year old woman is wanna fuck with a 25 year old guy that wears a purple tee with bright turquoise writing all over it with some bright purple shoes. I see these guys around and I laugh. just my 2 cents.
March 15, 2012 @ 01:58 AM

Inactive

^ ooooooOOOOOooooooOOOoohhh SooooooOOOooooo #menswear
March 15, 2012 @ 02:00 AM
abcking

Taking off the baseball cap is a good start IMO. Seriously, kids have been wearing baseball caps as street

get the fuck out of here what are you a fascist?

+ www.tallcans.org +

March 15, 2012 @ 02:04 AM
abcking

I would say that I have almost completely outgrown street wear. I did used to wear a lot of Diamond Supply, 10 deep, crooks, fuct, triumvir, mishka, and IM KING back in like 2006-2009 and a shit load of Dunk SB's But as I've grown older I've sold most of my shoes, and noticed that instead of collecting shoes, I have been buying a lot more dress shoes and watches. So it's like I traded one collection for another. Back then I would rock some SB's and a T shirt with some selvedge denim. Now I would wear some nice denim or corduroys with a nice pair of wingtips with a chambray button up or some sort of solid button up shirt with a nice watch. Also I've my hair style has changed. Before it was a faux hawk and now I've been rocking the parted hair. Time to time I will rock my Jordans and with some jeans and a jacket. I also still have 9/16 plugs in. Keep in mind that in 2006-2008 I was 19-21. I am now 24 on the verge of 25. So yeah I think your style just matures as you grow older. But you also get more attention from females if you dress your age and is always clean cut. No 25 year old woman is wanna fuck with a 25 year old guy that wears a purple tee with bright turquoise writing all over it with some bright purple shoes. I see these guys around and I laugh. just my 2 cents.

getting women to fuck you has almost nothing to do with the clothes you wear and almost everything with your personality, attitude, and hygiene... just in case you were having trouble wit that ;)

+ www.tallcans.org +

March 15, 2012 @ 03:27 AM
fac-en

getting women to fuck you has almost nothing to do with the clothes you wear and almost everything with your personality, attitude, and hygiene... just in case you were having trouble wit that ;)

mmm fashion plays a huge part with women..
like he said, girls find older guys with "young fashion taste" unattractive

ICNOCLST

March 15, 2012 @ 05:08 PM
K [X] Z I

A few years back, I was into street wear. When I started working in an office, I had to wear dressier apparel. Because of that, I started to mix street and workwear (outside of work). It was kind of an odd combination, but I think it worked. As for the present, street wear is not an option for me. When someone dresses more "adult", I think they feel more sophisticated, respectable, educated, mature, responsible, etc. As people get older, their habits and tastes evolve. I think you're contrast theory on street wear and upscale fashion is just a transitional phase. I think eventually, everyone in this transition will fully crossover to the more upscale fashion. It's happened to me and one of my friends is now doing it too. I always laughed at him for wearing graphic tees, varsity jackets and fitted hats. Even though, he still had LV, Ferragamo, Burberry etc. he still wore street wear. I said "you look like a kid." One day he just snapped and now he no longer wears street wear. He sold all his Supreme and made bank.
March 15, 2012 @ 06:54 PM
kushburner

as I move over to grown-men attire, fitteds are probably the last thing i'll drop
March 16, 2012 @ 09:59 AM
sebas91

@kxzi and others, would you believe in a nike high fashion brand? i know for a fact that nike and streetwear are related and that nike has a very loyal target group. Besides that, nike inspires and why should they t]do that in only sports and not in life?
I know what your thinking,NSW but NSW is still very sport and not wearable for a day to day base.....
And Nike has the ability to create a big buzz, seen y every sneaker release lately...
March 16, 2012 @ 10:43 PM
Goldi

a Mighty Healthy T has the same, if not more value to me now than it did in 2008.
March 16, 2012 @ 10:44 PM
Goldi

you outgrow streetwear when you're no longer in the culture.
March 17, 2012 @ 12:00 AM
descry

I'm near hitting 30 (28 now) and it's been more than a decade since I've been rocking "streetwear".

Thinking I should definitely start dressing my age, and though I still feel like I'm a part of the scene/culture...whatever, I feel like I should be dressing "my age". It's definitely a strange crossroad to face.

Please login first to reply.