FALL SALE - 20% OFF - USE CODE: FALL20 (24 HOURS LEFT)
February 15, 2012 @ 05:09 PM
chris123

Hello,

I am a University student at Greenwich and I'm doing an investigation on BAPEs downfall for my dissertation on Brand Loyalty & Customer Satisfaction. I want to hear your views on my question. You don't have to go into too much detail but it isn't bad, say what you feel

Q1) Why do you think a successful brand; BAPE fell with its popularity with its customers?

PEACE!!!!!!
February 15, 2012 @ 07:16 PM
Me & My Nikes

Fashion evolves. Trends/ brands eventually get phased out and become irrelevant.
February 15, 2012 @ 07:55 PM

Inactive

bape is dead?
February 16, 2012 @ 12:30 AM
Lew

lol @ bape being dead

you dudes are so stuck on your supreme dick riding you can't see reality
February 16, 2012 @ 12:40 AM
Jake Ocean

what the fuck?
lol @ bape being dead

you dudes are so stuck on your supreme dick riding you can't see reality

haha forreal. bape is releasing new shit every day.
unbelievable.

http://www.distantlight.co

February 16, 2012 @ 12:58 AM
dr_funk

Bape was successful because it was rare, hard to get and had fresh designs at the time. They released more and more stuff, opened more stores (LA, Paris--> store in store, China) and finally sold online. The designs were done over and over again and it wasn't really innovative any more. When NIGO sold Bape it was done. Don't get me wrong, it evolved to a point where it stll releases nice stuff every now and then, but since the hype around it died down and it's not really rare any more the price isn't justified at all.
The fakes did their part aswell, it became more of a hood brand than a high-end streetwear brand and fakes were everywere. So having a nice rare bape hoody wasn't special anymore, since 20 other people were rocking the same (fake) hoody. And yes, i blame soulja boy.
February 16, 2012 @ 01:01 AM
Jay_Bird

i think the hype went down

when everyone and their mama started wearing it

pharrell was really the first dude in the west really brung that brand to life

then it seem like every rapper had to have it,and it got oversatuated
February 17, 2012 @ 05:59 AM
Urban Aesthetics

<a href='http://hypebeast.com/members/dr_funk/' rel='nofollow'>@dr_funk</a> is right on point although I don't know if I can blame Soulja Boy. The millions of fake Bape manufactured and found all over the hood, NIGO selling Bape, and simply the death of its hype is exactly what unfortunately happened to Bape...

Instagram: ArielofUA || UrbanAesthetics.net || Tumblr: urbanaesthetics.tumblr.com

February 17, 2012 @ 10:29 AM
oreezy

thread author is wrong. Bape was dead during all this fluo-pharell era, was great before, is great today.

i personally wear it again now that all the hood guy think it's whack.

Supreme is in the bad era actually, will have to wait 1 or 2 years to appreciate wearing it again.
February 17, 2012 @ 05:09 PM
chris123

thread author is wrong. Bape was dead during all this fluo-pharell era, was great before, is great today.

i personally wear it again know that all the hood guy think it's whack.

Supreme is in the bad era actually, will have to wait 1 or 2 years to appreciate wearing it again.

I still wear BAPE as well, but at an unspecified time the brand started to lose relevance with the customer and fan base. With all the trouble that has been circulating the brand it's clear that the brand is not as "famous" as it once was.

I have more questions that will definitely clear everything up about BAPEs "well being" but for now I'm curious as to why YOU think that the brand is losing popularity.
February 17, 2012 @ 05:22 PM
Specification

I believe the original founder of the company sold it 1-2 years ago. So that might have to do something with the "downfall" as well. I wouldn't call it a downfall though, the whole streetwear scene is in a slumber right now.
February 17, 2012 @ 10:00 PM
chris123

lol I changed the title just for you dtgsigns ;D
February 17, 2012 @ 11:43 PM
karakter1

alot of brands eventually lose popularity as the years go by...i remember back when Phat Farm was popular.
February 17, 2012 @ 11:52 PM
Jay_Bird

i give it to bape

because bape really started the street wear brand

it seem like when bape was coming to a close

alot of dope street wear brands came into the scene

because before bape,you had niggaz wearing oversized fubu,rocawear,and sean john bullshit
February 18, 2012 @ 09:11 AM
Faena

i personally wear it again now that all the hood guy think it's whack.

Well ain't you an india Mofocka;)

I thought, thought, it was cause bape was good at the hype camo/kaws hoody's and they made that the hype and they mastered it, idk if that's all i saw cause i was 10-12ish, and I only ever got one thing a kaws hoody, idk if they were doing formal stuff like they do now.
Obviously nig o selling makes the hardcore fans that are mostly in japan sell out,
I mean people used to collect ds to frame it and not wear it! (bapetalkers)

I think they might manage to continue to scrape through, as they made enough back in the day, just like supreme will when their hype dies, I wonder what the hype with ASAP will be? I reckon that's gotta bring about some new craze
February 18, 2012 @ 10:03 AM
hypebeast1

i give it to bape

because bape really started the street wear brand

it seem like when bape was coming to a close

alot of dope street wear brands came into the scene

because before bape,you had niggaz wearing oversized fubu,rocawear,and sean john bullshit

^ That. I believe Bape's popularity gone down because its graphics/designs are overly repetitive. Yes, it is original with the whole colorful camo scheme & zipp-up hoodie, and it changed a lot of brands designs that followed (every store we see now days have super bright/colorful patterns [ie.Zumies]), but that can only bring the brand so far. Shoes look like nike knockoffs in a way, and they run for $250-300 a pair. Tees run for about $60-70 with their babymilo & typeface graphic. I don't think kids these days are willing to spend that much on a tee; regardless its exclusivity. Japan has a different culture so I guess they are willing to spend more on clothing, but definitely not kids in the US (couple with the US economy; which caused Bape store in Melrose went out of business). Piracy also made it less exclusive. Bape is still original in its own sense but I feel that the price tag & repetitiveness really drive a lot of ppl away after the hype is over. I remember Bape reached its apex around 06-07 in the US cause everyone were rocking it..from hoodies-->jeans-->shoes.. These days i hardly see anyone wearing them. Even sneaker stores in Melrose marked down Bapsta's price tag by 50% cause nobody is buying them.
February 18, 2012 @ 10:22 AM
tomee

bape is not dead. it's just not that popping atm as before. but it's still being made
February 18, 2012 @ 02:42 PM
chris123

This may come across as a random comparison to a lot of you but I am making because these brands are also high-end fashion retailers. Nigo said himself that BAPE is a high-end fashion retailer, which is why the prices are so high

Q2. Why is it that other high-end fashion lines such as Louis Vuitton, Versace, Gucci and Ralph Lauren are still experiencing success (popularity-wise) and BAPE isn’t?
February 18, 2012 @ 03:30 PM
Specification

^ crazy graphics are never timeless, they're just trendy.

- Gucci, LV, etc have stood the test of time and have been around forever, also most of their products are timeless. Looked good 50 years ago, looks good now.
February 18, 2012 @ 05:24 PM
BHP

Naw. Bape is dead, the only thing that's keeping them going is their camo shit. Holding on by the threads.

InternetEnlightenment.tumblr.com → Accessory Rack

February 18, 2012 @ 05:38 PM
commonflaw

Q2. Why is it that other high-end fashion lines such as Louis Vuitton, Versace, Gucci and Ralph Lauren are still experiencing success (popularity-wise) and BAPE isn’t?
Because grownups wear those brands.
February 18, 2012 @ 06:07 PM
hypebeast1

^ crazy graphics are never timeless, they're just trendy.

- Gucci, LV, etc have stood the test of time and have been around forever, also most of their products are timeless. Looked good 50 years ago, looks good now.

I think their target audience is different too. Bape aims for more of young adults, and those highend European brands target more of older rich people. Yes, young people are willing to spend too, but I think most people that are into Bape are students..maybe they'll invest in one Bape hoodie & call it done. Highend european brands; on the other hand..make highend handbags..(you know women and their bags..), and I think ppl have the mindset that anything "made in Paris" is considered to have 'higher quality' in gerneral.

^ Don't think old ppl can pulloff bape that great in general. And I dont think a lot are into fruity color jackets in that age group.
February 18, 2012 @ 08:08 PM
chris123

Yeah keep it coming, you guys are giving me some damn good answers, I got more coming your way so keep it coming :D
February 19, 2012 @ 04:11 AM
martuszka

I live in China and Bape is like Hello Kitty here. On every fake market u can buy bape for really silly money. Bape was cool few yearz ago, now I`m bored with the same ape. They should do sum tunning on the ape;)

roll with me & I will make u a star | http://www.facebook.com/pages/Martuszka-Is-Painting/273702302655329 http://martuszkaispainting.tumblr.

February 19, 2012 @ 07:15 AM
BIRTH

BAPE ain't dead ya'll niggas just Supremely scared.

February 19, 2012 @ 08:30 AM
SKid

yo another thing to consider is that bape has been around for almost 20 years now so they have had there time of huge hype both in japan and in north america. But just like any popular brands they have their time when everyone is on it because its new and hyped and then is pushed to the side for the next thing, so it is expected to see a decline in popularity after time but even though it seems like its dead because you dont see everyone wearing it doesnt mean its dead. You still see things sell out on the US site and the different japanese sites. Also it does look like bape has changed their style of clothing to adapt to changing styles but still keeping their look. and keeping classic pieces as well. Also nigo as started a new venture in "human made" so that may be a reason for him selling bape and i think he still has some design say in the brand but im not 100% sure. so i dont think bape is dead it is just not rediculously hyped anymore.
February 20, 2012 @ 06:03 AM
Kingston

Rappers stopped wearing zipped up hoodies to the Top so U.S kids stopped wearing them
Doesn't mean there still not Strong out overseas but I still see mad Kaws & Bape art shows non-stop that's another level when you see shit in museums here in LA
February 20, 2012 @ 02:25 PM
chris123

Q3. Is BAPEs clothing today different than the clothing BAPE sold in the past (big or small) and has it helped in keeping BAPE alive?
February 21, 2012 @ 08:06 PM
BKBROWN

because half the designs look like shit

̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏ ̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏ karmaloop 20% off repcode: WAVES lllllllllllllllllll https://soundcloud.com/bkbrown

February 22, 2012 @ 01:11 AM
JOSTYLES

Bape needs to come out of their comfort zone and experiment with something besides camo.

Please login first to reply.