Free Worldwide Shipping
Spend $150 USD or more. Click for details.
May 18, 2012 @ 12:52 AM
chads

I agree with qrct1. i dont think the identity has much to do with the audience your appealing to. it does play a part, but for an example, Target, has a solid identity, and appeals to almost every human living on the earth. Thrasher has a solid identity and has a very wide and open demographic, skateboarders, skate board enthusiasts, or whatever.
if your brand your brand correctly and ensure a solid identity, you don't need to pick out precise and specific niches. it's good to have in mind a specific niche, but shouldn't appeal to them and them only

What does that have anything to do with anything to do with anything. Of course Target appeals to shitloads of people because of the low prices and easy accessibility. You don't see serious skateboarder just rolling down the street in the their Shaun White collection tee from Target, you see little 10 year olds wearing that who have single moms and look up to Shaun White and Tony Hawk. On the same note. Obviously Thrasher appeals to skateboarders and skate enthusiasts because its a skate centered magazine and skate oriented brand. Likewise you don't see little scooter kids or kids who are into racecars in a thrasher tee, they are more likely wearing something from possibly nascar or a company that makes clothes for that type of audience and interest.
Unless I misunderstood you I think that was a pretty dumb comment.

chadacadabra.tumblr.com

May 18, 2012 @ 01:27 AM
Jake Ocean

I agree with qrct1. i dont think the identity has much to do with the audience your appealing to. it does play a part, but for an example, Target, has a solid identity, and appeals to almost every human living on the earth. Thrasher has a solid identity and has a very wide and open demographic, skateboarders, skate board enthusiasts, or whatever.
if your brand your brand correctly and ensure a solid identity, you don't need to pick out precise and specific niches. it's good to have in mind a specific niche, but shouldn't appeal to them and them only

What does that have anything to do with anything to do with anything. Of course Target appeals to shitloads of people because of the low prices and easy accessibility. You don't see serious skateboarder just rolling down the street in the their Shaun White collection tee from Target, you see little 10 year olds wearing that who have single moms and look up to Shaun White and Tony Hawk. On the same note. Obviously Thrasher appeals to skateboarders and skate enthusiasts because its a skate centered magazine and skate oriented brand. Likewise you don't see little scooter kids or kids who are into racecars in a thrasher tee, they are more likely wearing something from possibly nascar or a company that makes clothes for that type of audience and interest.

i think you misunderstoof my comment. i agree with karakter. people are thinking to small of their niches. its not like if you start up a brand and don't have a specific niche determined, like someone said the eco friendly hipsters? idk, its not like your set for failure if that isn't determined. it's good to play with your demographic, see who it is, whos buying, etc. its an ongoing thing, unless your an established brand like nike, your gonna be constantly making little changes to who your targeted audience really is. when i buy hall of fame, i dont give a fuck about their "sports theme". i buy the hat cause i like it, and it looks good. people walk into that shop on fairfax, and buy whatever they thinks looks good on them, wether they like sports or not. customers don't always look for meaning, it depends on the characteristics of the consumer. sure alot of people do care, but alot of people dont. a brand based off a general theme and aesthetics could sell like crazy if the actual products are good. meaning isn't everything in fashion; ultimately, style is what you like to and thinks looks good

http://www.distantlight.co

May 18, 2012 @ 01:31 AM
stillwild

Target is totally not a comparable example because unlike most brands, they do not need to specify any "segment" or "demographic" besides pricing really. Even with grocery chains, identity places a HUGE role in market success.

Whole Foods - largely successful, highly specific natural food store

Target - bargain (average everyday family)

Trader Joes - Even more specialized, niche of carefully curated stock, housemade goods for cheap.

Even take Circuit City vs. Best Buy, Circuit City is closing down now. Why? Best Buy owns the market, because of their identity as a premier purveyor of electronic goods, whereas Circuit City never really carved out an identity, and failed. There were other factors that led to their failing, but without customer loyalty you'll never get very far.

www.stillwild.co / online store that celebrates nature!

May 18, 2012 @ 01:34 AM
stillwild

i think you misunderstoof my comment. i agree with karakter. people are thinking to small of their niches. its not like if you start up a brand and don't have a specific niche determined, like someone said the eco friendly hipsters? idk, its not like your set for failure if that isn't determined. it's good to play with your demographic, see who it is, whos buying, etc. its an ongoing thing, unless your an established brand like nike, your gonna be constantly making little changes to who your targeted audience really is. when i buy hall of fame, i dont give a fuck about their "sports theme". i buy the hat cause i like it, and it looks good. people walk into that shop on fairfax, and buy whatever they thinks looks good on them, wether they like sports or not. customers don't always look for meaning, it depends on the characteristics of the consumer. sure alot of people do care, but alot of people dont. a brand based off a general theme and aesthetics could sell like crazy if the actual products are good. meaning isn't everything in fashion; ultimately, style is what you like to and thinks looks good

No, in the end, every business follows a different model that could be the formula for ruin in another business' model. But focusing on a single market allows you to allocate your resources (when you're growing, your incredibly small resources) towards consumers most likely to buy your product, which in the end should prove to be most effective for your bottom line.

May 18, 2012 @ 01:37 AM
Jake Ocean

yeah i dont really know why i used target as an example, cause it isn't really relevant since were dealing with indie brands. but yeah like i said, it's good to have one in mind, but it's always changing. i agree with what gramsonsgrams said above.

May 18, 2012 @ 03:02 AM
chads

yeah i dont really know why i used target as an example, cause it isn't really relevant since were dealing with indie brands. but yeah like i said, it's good to have one in mind, but it's always changing. i agree with what gramsonsgrams said above.

I think this makes the most sense to me. Some choose to have more of an identity and that is good but other don't and thats fine as well. In my opinion, I still think it is important to develop this identity as one progresses. Yes, many companies don't have to do that but at the same time it certainly can't hurt.
Also, I totally agree with your Hall of Fame comment. I personally love consistent identity in brands but I will buy a hat or shirt from Hall of Fame if I like it despite the fact that I am not a very sports oriented person.

chadacadabra.tumblr.com

May 18, 2012 @ 03:03 AM
justgrayzin

i was wondering the best kind of shirts for sewing on, screen printing on etc...

P O $ H GANG

May 18, 2012 @ 03:03 AM
stillwild

some critique on the beanie mockup I posted above would be cool.
good bad, just constructive please.

May 18, 2012 @ 03:08 AM
ashtonmcmxc

Is that your logo on it? Or an image related to a message? what's the message of your brand?

only for the mcmxc's

May 18, 2012 @ 03:08 AM
chads

I think its pretty cool but two things I would change is making the small ring on the eye between the red and white black instead of blue. Also, I think the brow as the background color is a bad look. I think it should be a lighter color to better contrast with the other colors on it like the blue and green.
Also, is it going to be a patch or a tag or embroidered?

chadacadabra.tumblr.com

May 18, 2012 @ 03:11 AM
Jake Ocean

to the beanie -

i'm not a huge fan of the color scheme. its a little hard on the eyes. the brown and blue doesn't really allow the design to pop. the owl is a little generic looking, but i like the concept of minimalism and simplicity in it.
but owls are being used so often now in designing, so how do you plan to make this owl design stand out?

May 18, 2012 @ 03:45 AM
stillwild

Is that your logo on it? Or an image related to a message? what's the message of your brand?

that's not my logo, it's just a design for a beanie. more an image related to our message of sustainability.
http://twentyeightgrams.com/about.

chada -
word up. I've been tossing about the color scheme back and forth.

jake -
the starkness of the colors was scary for me, I wasn't sure how other people would feel about though. a second pair of eyes is always dope. For sure, the minimalism was totally an important part of the design for me.

Eh. I haven't seen too many patch beanies made.

May 18, 2012 @ 04:23 AM
justinsos

http://imgur.com/jZXSh

Got samples in from China! Stoked on these snapbacks.

Also sneak peak at our summer line. Our friend Brandon did an awesome job at coming up with the concepts for this release.

http://imgur.com/KmG2m

Also will have tags on this line!

Sink or Swim Brand / www.sinkorswimbrand.com / Spring 2014 this April

May 18, 2012 @ 04:25 AM
samweinberg

I completely disagree with you on this one, what you're saying is pretty ridiculous. If you're not crafting a brand identity to appeal to your target market then you're doing it wrong. It's essential to have a definite audience to cater your business to, otherwise you'll be left in the dust picking up all the broken pieces.

Also, Thrasher has an extremely limited demographic, I doubt you'll find any doctors or professors looking through it.

Except this guy.

City Limits - Fall 2012

May 18, 2012 @ 04:45 AM
stillwild

I completely disagree with you on this one, what you're saying is pretty ridiculous. If you're not crafting a brand identity to appeal to your target market then you're doing it wrong. It's essential to have a definite audience to cater your business to, otherwise you'll be left in the dust picking up all the broken pieces.

Also, Thrasher has an extremely limited demographic, I doubt you'll find any doctors or professors looking through it.

Except this guy.

lol

May 18, 2012 @ 04:51 AM
Jake Ocean

Except this guy.

this is irrelevant to what i was saying. i agree with you though

May 18, 2012 @ 05:10 AM
EVGD

Agreed. Message/story behind brand is key to understanding it.

God Hates Lames

May 18, 2012 @ 05:55 AM
samweinberg

Except this guy.

this is irrelevant to what i was saying. i agree with you though

How is this irrelevant to what you were saying?

City Limits - Fall 2012

May 18, 2012 @ 06:21 AM
qrct1

Welcome to wholesalesnapbackhat.net. As a professional hats and t-shirts supplier, we offers various Wholesale snapback hats,cheap snapback hats and customized snapback hats.Providing customer with the best products and the best customer service has always been our goal.We do hope to make a long-term business relationship with you, welcome to your visit!

omg

www.æterna.net/shop

May 18, 2012 @ 08:09 AM
flauwekul

Here are some designs i already made, please give me some feedback, good or bad.
Please click right mouse, and then click show these in other window to see the high quality versions cause in some that is important to do.

could i please get some feedback on this?
May 18, 2012 @ 08:53 AM
thenewhype

Gush, I'm sorry but someone has to tell the truth - STOP MAKING THIS WEAK ASS SHIT BRANDS based on graphic t's and stuff :/ Doing that you'll just never get anywhere. Since the begining of this topic there is NOTHING that would make any of these brands stand out. STOP RELEASING WEAK SHIT and put some brain in it! Make some money and make some fucking cut&sew stuff! People are waiting for that, not for 37493847 shirt with a fucked up logo. Instead of doing this, learn about garment construction, history of design, some big designers, sewing, drawing and come with something good. Brands and ideas like this will get you nowhere and will finish in a matter of a very very short time.

Not hating on anyone, someone had to say it tho.

https://www.facebook.com/TheNewHype Check out the newest hype feed. Only the sharpest stuff, in yo face with no bullshiting.

May 18, 2012 @ 09:53 AM
flauwekul

Gush, I'm sorry but someone has to tell the truth - STOP MAKING THIS WEAK ASS SHIT BRANDS based on graphic t's and stuff :/ Doing that you'll just never get anywhere. Since the begining of this topic there is NOTHING that would make any of these brands stand out. STOP RELEASING WEAK SHIT and put some brain in it! Make some money and make some fucking cut&sew stuff! People are waiting for that, not for 37493847 shirt with a fucked up logo. Instead of doing this, learn about garment construction, history of design, some big designers, sewing, drawing and come with something good. Brands and ideas like this will get you nowhere and will finish in a matter of a very very short time.

i agree, and i have been designing some of that, but when you start a brand with cut&sew it's much more expensive then starting with a line of t-shirts. but what you meant with a fucked up logo, if you think my logo is fucked up. maybe got some tips to improve it?
May 18, 2012 @ 10:10 AM
thenewhype

My comment was nothing personal, the thing is how could you make your brand succesful asking ppl around if your logo is allright? Where is the suprise, confidence about the quality of your product factor? If you won't learn how to design or hire ppl that know what they are doing and offer something new and suprising, then don't expect growing big. Everything that is posted in here, all the graphic tees that are made on basic tees or crewnecks won't make it unless you invest time, money and knowledge on developing cut&sew stuff. Just saying.

https://www.facebook.com/TheNewHype Check out the newest hype feed. Only the sharpest stuff, in yo face with no bullshiting.

May 18, 2012 @ 11:26 AM
big4slick20

looking for great tank top blanks, any suggestions?

american apparel 2408 (tried this, didn't like the fit as the neck area/collar was really low)
alstyle 1307
etc.
May 18, 2012 @ 11:53 AM
karakter1

the thing is how could you make your brand succesful asking ppl around if your logo is allright? Where is the confidence about the quality of your product factor? If you won't learn how to design or hire ppl that know what they are doing and offer something new and suprising, then don't expect growing big.

i agree.....
May 18, 2012 @ 12:16 PM
karakter1

to this day, most brands start off with- and continue to build around the t-shirt....it will continue to be a staple in independent brands, simply because people buy t-shirts....lots of them.

it would definitely be cool to see some Fashion designers making cut and sew garments for independent brands....but it is very expensive to make, and even harder to sell! As the % of online shoppers increases, you see a slow down of cut & sew items offered by brands that dont have a retail space.

People are less likely to buy a cut & sew Flannel (online) from a brand that they are not familiar with.
i remember when a bunch of the established brands thought it was a good idea to all have cut & sew Denim lines......alot of them took heavy losses and went right back to good ole t-shirts!

but hey, if you've got the skill, money and resources....make those garment samples, hit up the trade shows, get those purchase orders, and manufacture that dopeness!!!
May 18, 2012 @ 02:10 PM
justinsos

to this day, most brands start off with- and continue to build around the t-shirt....it will continue to be a staple in independent brands, simply because people buy t-shirts....lots of them.

it would definitely be cool to see some Fashion designers making cut and sew garments for independent brands....but it is very expensive to make, and even harder to sell! As the % of online shoppers increases, you see a slow down of cut & sew items offered by brands that dont have a retail space.

People are less likely to buy a cut & sew Flannel (online) from a brand that they are not familiar with.
i remember when a bunch of the established brands thought it was a good idea to all have cut & sew Denim lines......alot of them took heavy losses and went right back to good ole t-shirts!

but hey, if you've got the skill, money and resources....make those garment samples, hit up the trade shows, get those purchase orders, and manufacture that dopeness!!!

This

May 18, 2012 @ 02:15 PM
Jake Ocean

ehh. every brand has to start somewhere. theres no need to get straight into it, all guns blazing, for no reason. i know of a brand that just launched in april with a full cut and sew collection: http://www.latitudesupplyco.com/. I have no idea how well there selling or not.

and yeah like what karakter said, why would anyone buy expensive cut and sew from a brand they dont know? play around with it for a while, and see where you stand. you need to allow room for organic growth and learning.

May 18, 2012 @ 02:48 PM
justinsos

ehh. every brand has to start somewhere. theres no need to get straight into it, all guns blazing, for no reason. i know of a brand that just launched in april with a full cut and sew collection: http://www.latitudesupplyco.com/. I have no idea how well there selling or not.

and yeah like what karakter said, why would anyone buy expensive cut and sew from a brand they dont know? play around with it for a while, and see where you stand. you need to allow room for organic growth and learning.

This too haha

May 18, 2012 @ 03:37 PM
chads

My comment was nothing personal, the thing is how could you make your brand succesful asking ppl around if your logo is allright? Where is the suprise, confidence about the quality of your product factor? If you won't learn how to design or hire ppl that know what they are doing and offer something new and suprising, then don't expect growing big. Everything that is posted in here, all the graphic tees that are made on basic tees or crewnecks won't make it unless you invest time, money and knowledge on developing cut&sew stuff. Just saying.

Graphic tees have been, still are, and will continue to be a staple in any new streetwear line. With that being said there is also no reason to lose a shitload of money on making cut and sew that you can't sell and also there is no reason to get cut and sew tees made. Some of the biggest, most established companies such as The Hundreds or HUF still use AAA blanks despite their yearly revenues being in the millions.
Also, there is nothing wrong with asking for feedback from those who actually buy tees themselves. Yes, confidence is a good thing to have but confidence won't increase your sales. No customer is going to buy a tee that they don't like just because think the owner has confidence.

chadacadabra.tumblr.com

Please login first to reply.