Get an Extra 20% Off Sale Items - Use code: EXTRA20
April 5, 2012 @ 10:11 PM
UNscenefuture

"Treeman" Crewneck & "District" Hooded Sweatshirt.

From a scrapped project. Just looking for critiques, thoughts, think constructive.

From a start up stand point I would assume funds are limited; however your designs should be as strong as they can possibly be. The second pic which I will assume is your logo blends together and is difficult to read the typography. Also considering the size I would suggest you would have made the logo smaller and put it on the left or right side of the chest and did a enlarged print on the back of the shirt, which would have made more sense instead of so much wasted negative space on the sweat shirt. Wish you the best of luck, keep at it pimp.

Twitter: @UNSCNFUTR | Instagram: UNSCENEFUTURE | Portfolio: http://www.behance.net/unscenefuture

April 5, 2012 @ 10:28 PM
Broken Bank Clo

Two shirts I'm doing right now.
Not totally related to my brand but if it helps bring in the funds to support to core of my business I don't mind doing it.

Both shirts were inspired buy two really big shoe releases coming out this month.

Broken Bank Clothing *** www.BrokenBankClothing.com *** @brokenbankclo

April 5, 2012 @ 10:35 PM
Jake Ocean

@ Grams
Bigger is better. People feel like they are getting more shirt when the design is bigger. But that also depends on selling price as well.
Unlike the big names out there the name sells the shirt for them so they can put a tiny little "faced bomb" or red boxed letter and it will sell.
But for us we have to sell based on design.

Honestly, what are you saying. How is bigger better?
Bigger is definitely not better. Smaller isn't better either. What's best is how it looks on the shirt.
If it looks good smaller, make it smaller, and if it looks better larger, make it a larger print.
People don't "feel like there getting more out of the shirt", because of a bigger graphic. People like how a shirt is designed and executed. Making the graphic big doesn't make it "better".

It all depends on how you brand it. Fourstar for example, is famous for having their logo small in the middle of the shirt. People like it because of the minimalism and simplicity.

Some people like Tapout (don't know why) cause of the big, detailed graphic all over the place. Tapout isn't "better" for making the graphic better. It all depends on how it's branded, the style, execution, and design.

http://www.distantlight.co

April 5, 2012 @ 10:46 PM
UNscenefuture

Not totally related to my brand but if it helps bring in the funds to support to core of my business I don't mind doing it.

Both shirts were inspired buy two really big shoe releases coming out this month.

Decent, but stand strong behind what your brand stands for. I did some shirts for the Yeezy 1 release, I made money and that was it. Brands like Bobby Fresh will always be "compliment" tee's to me.

Twitter: @UNSCNFUTR | Instagram: UNSCENEFUTURE | Portfolio: http://www.behance.net/unscenefuture

April 5, 2012 @ 11:00 PM
Broken Bank Clo

@ Grams
Bigger is better. People feel like they are getting more shirt when the design is bigger. But that also depends on selling price as well.
Unlike the big names out there the name sells the shirt for them so they can put a tiny little "faced bomb" or red boxed letter and it will sell.
But for us we have to sell based on design.

Honestly, what are you saying. How is bigger better?
Bigger is definitely not better. Smaller isn't better either. What's best is how it looks on the shirt.
If it looks good smaller, make it smaller, and if it looks better larger, make it a larger print.
People don't "feel like there getting more out of the shirt", because of a bigger graphic. People like how a shirt is designed and executed. Making the graphic big doesn't make it "better".

It all depends on how you brand it. Fourstar for example, is famous for having their logo small in the middle of the shirt. People like it because of the minimalism and simplicity.

Some people like Tapout (don't know why) cause of the big, detailed graphic all over the place. Tapout isn't "better" for making the graphic better. It all depends on how it's branded, the style, execution, and design.

I was just speaking in regards to those particular designs. I wouldn't buy them becausr the logo appears to small. In my eyes something like that is worth $15-$20 for me. Unless he is getting a deep discount he wouldn't be making any money on those @ a low output/print rate.
Just my opinion but for me it depends on what the design is and then how big it is. I don't like Tapout shirts or any of those shirts that have angel wings and tattoo fonts across the chest cause they look to busy to me.
I have shirts with small 10" long phrases across the chest portion but it had a nice design to it.

I'm not talking about all designs in general just those above.

From looking @ the design and if you had to buy it, would you seeing the size it is?

Decent, but stand strong behind what your brand stands for. I did some shirts for the Yeezy 1 release, I made money and that was it. Brands like Bobby Fresh will always be "compliment" tee's to me.

Bobby Fresh make some legit stuff. That market is huge though so there is always room for some fresh designs.
I saw it as a "Business Adventure".
Something to help get my brand name out there.

April 5, 2012 @ 11:07 PM
Jake Ocean

people actually like bobby fresh?

April 5, 2012 @ 11:09 PM
chads

I personally don't like sneaker-related tees but I think these are executed well. I like the second one especially because even though its nothing new and original, the way you paired the collegiate and shoelace text worked really well together.

chadacadabra.tumblr.com

April 5, 2012 @ 11:29 PM
karakter1

you would be VERY surprised!
April 5, 2012 @ 11:29 PM
karakter1

probably not people on hypebeast though......
April 5, 2012 @ 11:32 PM
stillwild

"Treeman" Crewneck & "District" Hooded Sweatshirt.

From a scrapped project. Just looking for critiques, thoughts, think constructive.

From a start up stand point I would assume funds are limited; however your designs should be as strong as they can possibly be. The second pic which I will assume is your logo blends together and is difficult to read the typography. Also considering the size I would suggest you would have made the logo smaller and put it on the left or right side of the chest and did a enlarged print on the back of the shirt, which would have made more sense instead of so much wasted negative space on the sweat shirt. Wish you the best of luck, keep at it pimp.

Cool idea about the front & back, thanks.

I never knew going in, or even thought, that composition would be so fuckin' integral and difficult, I just thought it was all about slappin' a design on.

www.stillwild.co / online store that celebrates nature!

April 5, 2012 @ 11:43 PM
Broken Bank Clo

I personally don't like sneaker-related tees but I think these are executed well. I like the second one especially because even though its nothing new and original, the way you paired the collegiate and shoelace text worked really well together.

Good eye on that. I actually did some thought on that part.
I took critique you guys said about the last shirt with the non matching fonts and put it to use.
Choosing good fonts is actually a lot harded when pairing it with the right design or artwork.
I actually probably went overboard and used that font on some other T's as well, but I'm making sure the designs match as well.

yeah all in all they have some solid stuff. Not everything speaks to me but execution is pretty good on most of his shirts.

April 6, 2012 @ 12:46 AM
UNscenefuture

I took critique you guys said about the last shirt with the non matching fonts and put it to use.
Choosing good fonts is actually a lot harded when pairing it with the right design or artwork.
I actually probably went overboard and used that font on some other T's as well, but I'm making sure the designs match as well.

yeah all in all they have some solid stuff. Not everything speaks to me but execution is pretty good on most of his shirts.

Bobby Fresh has solid designs but I wouldn't compare them to Triumvir or Mishka. Both brands have a strong following. What type of success are you looking for?

April 6, 2012 @ 12:59 AM
HEAVYSET

HEAVYSET

Today only we're offering FREE SHIPPING on all items. Click the pick up option and you're good to go!

Here are some items we have for this season

And our look book to check out..

WeAreHeavyset.com | O.S.O.S.

April 6, 2012 @ 12:59 AM
YK

Decided if i was to start a brand i should start small, made some bracelets so far they are just samples/ones i had for wear....
What do you guys think?

where the azn girls at

April 6, 2012 @ 01:05 AM
karakter1

dope stuff heavy
April 6, 2012 @ 01:16 AM
karakter1

stuff looking good
April 6, 2012 @ 01:38 AM
HEAVYSET

stuff looking good

Thank you! Much appreciated

WeAreHeavyset.com | O.S.O.S.

April 6, 2012 @ 01:38 AM
chads

I feel you on this last line. I would say that someone who is truly analyzing your brand would rather see consistent and well put together designs that are somewhat repetitive than more different ones that are a lot more scattered.

chadacadabra.tumblr.com

April 6, 2012 @ 01:40 AM
chads

Decided if i was to start a brand i should start small, made some bracelets so far they are just samples/ones i had for wear....
What do you guys think?

I don't really mind this bracelet trend right now but if these are you 'promo photos' I would suggest at least putting them on a bed sheet is better than a the hundreds or dsc background because it seems as though you might be promoting them more than yourself.

chadacadabra.tumblr.com

April 6, 2012 @ 01:44 AM
Jake Ocean

April 6, 2012 @ 01:51 AM
Jake Ocean

<a href='http://hypebeast.com/members/heavyset/' rel='nofollow'>@heavyset</a> - good shit!

April 6, 2012 @ 02:06 AM
minsct

Little preview to our upcoming look/online store release! Keep locked for Minsct going international in the next few weeks. In the mean time, check out the daily blog over at minsct.com

THE VISIONARY IS YOU - www.minsct.com

April 6, 2012 @ 02:44 AM
artistiq

I have an advertising opportunity available to most brands I've seen in here.

I blog for DopeDrops.com and we've been wanting to hold some giveaways at least once every 2 weeks starting at the end of the month/early may.

I'll give a short explanation of how it'd work. PM me for more information if needed/interested. You provide the product, we provide the contest/advertising. How much you want to giveaway is up to you, but the more product is going to get more attention. To enter the contest you'd either post on twitter/facebook something like "____ & DopeDrops are giving away free shirts! Click here to enter!" It'll spread, because who doesn't want free stuff. So you'll get a ton of views/likes/follows. The winner/s would be announced at random a week later, and then you can ship out the stuff to them.

I'm sure if you're interested you want more information about DopeDrops. We started just 6 months ago but we've been growing very fast. We already average about 1.4-1.6k views a day. Just over 500 followers on twitter, and we have a number of connections that would help advertise these contests with retweets such as Best Midwest Ent. and some artists we've become friends with.

Just lemme know if you're interested, these contests seem like they'd be insanely good advertising for both parties.

Oh, and BTW, if anyone has a line dropping soon and you would like me to get you on dopedrops just shoot me a PM about that as well. I won't do this for every brand, but like I said there has only been a few brands in this thread that I haven't liked. I love supporting up and comers, especially since I fit that description right now as well.
April 6, 2012 @ 02:58 AM
YK

Not really my promo photos just thought id take some pics to get your guys opinions, i just used my laptop for a photo so you can see them with different backgrounds.

where the azn girls at

April 6, 2012 @ 05:02 AM
drunkenstyle

Thanks for all the feedback guys. I've decided that I want to lean more on to the graphic hand-drawn non-uniform side of design. Also about the stussy font; I agree it is very unique and I love that brand but for some reason some aspects of the font are too "intense". I feel that for someone new to the brand, its hard to come to a realization that the logo stands for "Stussy" but I guess there's no need since there at the stage where people buy shirts to wear their logo haha!

Also; to add a note; the UN ordinary is going to be a design, not a logo, for my logo I definitely will incorporate a fully uniform distinct image. And of course, I still need to add a graphic design or something because having just unordinary won't sell especially when I'm an unknown brand.

About the sloppiness and non-uniformity of my design: I personally just like designs like this:

and this:

As opposed to this:

or

Also about the stussy weird unique font: I just did a trial

Thanks for your feedback everybody!! Really do appreciate it. If you wanna check out my latest designs you can head over to www.facebook.com/ezpz.co ||| It would mean a lot if you dropped a like and + im giving away free shit of designs that I make here and there. There's no downfall :p

Designer here, I think what yall need to remember is that there can be typographic logos and illustrative logos. Your example of Mishka's eyeball is illustrative, and Benny Gold's is typographic whether it's handwritten or with use of typeface (or font). Stussy's logo isn't a font. They don't use a font. It's Stussy's handwritten signature.

Mishka, Bape, and Johnny Cupcakes would be good examples of their use of both illustrative and typographic logos.

Your examples of those designs on the shirts are just designs based off royal crests, they're not really logos, but the green shirt could pass as a logo because of the way it's been designed.

There's many different methods and approaches on logo design, so do whatever works for you and what your brand represents, just as long as you follow the basic rules. Hope I cleared it up for yall.
April 6, 2012 @ 06:45 AM
DannyHH

What kind of labels would you get made to sew on the front of a 5 panel? Just a regular woven label?
April 6, 2012 @ 11:14 AM
welchy3

Wel Read This isn't my brand but if your interested in following what I do with WINWEL I just started posting on my blog again and will be documenting what and who I'm privileged to work with.
April 6, 2012 @ 11:14 AM
welchy3

@CraftySince’90

I'd go with woven satin. They are the rougher tags but you dont need top notch ones if its on the outside of a hat.
April 6, 2012 @ 05:28 PM
DannyHH

Cool thanks, like the ones HUF use on the outside on the front of the cap.
April 6, 2012 @ 08:13 PM
chads

Cool thanks, like the ones HUF use on the outside on the front of the cap.

Those ones on the font of Supreme, Huf etc. are woven damask. If you want any resources, hit me up!

chadacadabra.tumblr.com

Please login first to reply.