Our Spring/Summer '12 collection releases today

Check the site & blog

View our Lookbook and feel free to share it around

Follow on FB: facebook.com/weareheavyset
Instagram & Twitter: @weareheavyset

WeAreHeavyset.com | O.S.O.S.

March 30, 2012 @ 05:18 PM
YK-

I'm a 14 year old kid livin on the east coast, been working for like almost a year. and finally released my clothing brand on Saturday. Did every single thing by myself , from funds to website design. All done by me.

WWW.GRUMPCOMPANY.COM

The website looks good, pretty creatively done, too. But the fact that you have auto-play audio is a deathwish. That shit is annoying as fuck.
March 30, 2012 @ 09:34 PM
Jake Ocean

Heavyset

Check the site & blog

not gonna lie, pretty impressed. designs are cool and branding is well done.

The only thing I don't really like are the big H black patches on the shirts. But other than that, shit looks good.

http://www.distantlight.co

March 30, 2012 @ 09:38 PM
Jake Ocean

I'm a 14 year old kid livin on the east coast, been working for like almost a year. and finally released my clothing brand on Saturday. Did every single thing by myself , from funds to website design. All done by me.

WWW.GRUMPCOMPANY.COM

the website is cool. but honestly, the logo is gross. i would hire a designer to re work that and maybe do a few shirt designs too..

March 30, 2012 @ 09:43 PM
HWYS - Joey

Heavyset

Check the site & blog

Looks really good man!
One question for you, do you think pricing your items on the lower end of the spectrum will "cheapen" the brand?
I'm not trying to be stupid, this is a fair question to anyone out there... In my honest opinion, it seems like people would rather pay more for something they consider "exclusive" as opposed to have the items be priced out in the same range as everything else.

Good luck with it. You can see a lot a time and effort went into it!

www.highwaysco.us -- for some fucking reason, you must use the www. idk why fml.

March 30, 2012 @ 09:45 PM
HWYS - Joey

TURNTUP *2012* http://turntup.us
Just started actually putting my stuff on cotton. Got some weak stuff on the site now but by summer I'll be printing some clean products.
Just a few mockups of some stuff I'm working on for the sumer

I hate the first shirt.. Looks like amateurish crap.
I do like the rat pic but not the back side of it - that also looks amateurish.
Good luck tho.

www.highwaysco.us -- for some fucking reason, you must use the www. idk why fml.

March 30, 2012 @ 09:55 PM
Jake Ocean

Just started actually putting my stuff on cotton. Got some weak stuff on the site now but by summer I'll be printing some clean products.

they look like they were all designed for different niches. they don't look like they would be apart of the same brand.
i don't really understand it

March 30, 2012 @ 10:00 PM
samweinberg

they look like they were all designed for different niches. they don't look like they would be apart of the same brand.
i don't really understand it

Agreed. None of the products are cohesive and are lacking in substance. not to mention you don't have the rights to use those gandhi/lennon/ozzy photos.

City Limits - Fall 2012

March 30, 2012 @ 11:40 PM
DannyHH

What's the best place to get tee's with printed custom tags done for cheap?

Theres no 'best' place. Just do your research.

no one helps each other here, be ready to hear "do your research" every Q you ask. But i found http://www.sun-apparel.com/

I could give him a couple of sites that I think are good. I'm just saying there truly is no 'best' place.

I didnt mean to point fingers at you but im just saying we should all work to help eachother as HB brands.

What do yall think the best starting price is to sell Crews? 30 or 40?
March 30, 2012 @ 11:51 PM
chads

What do yall think the best starting price is to sell Crews? 30 or 40?

$40 depending on the quality

chadacadabra.tumblr.com

March 30, 2012 @ 11:56 PM
Ape

I'd buy that "Turntup" bucket hat. PM me when you drop it.

Anyways, how much is it costing you guys to start this up? Big Cartel payments, Shirt Samples and Orders, Tags, Stickers, etc.?

I know this is a dumb question, but do y'alls shirt graphics have that sort of shiny feel (Think a Nike Shirt), where you know it was placed on or do they have the graphics where it was sewn in, like say, those graphic tees at walmart where there is no difference in texture between the shirt and graphic, I think the difference between these two is called Silkscreen and Cut and Sew, but I could be wrong.

Where do you guys usually wholesale from, which has the best combo of quality and affordability, right now I'm looking at buying some tees, raglans/henleys, and hoodies from American Apparel.

Where do you guys get tags?

And lastly, how do you guys go about transferring your graphics to the computer. Right now I'm using a scanner and GIMP, but it's hard to kind of get it to where you can't tell it was initially a pencil drawing. Like I'm trying to make a shape with one letter inside (custom font so I can't get it off the internet) and make it so I can make the shape different colors with the actual letters the same color everytime . . . for all intents and purposes, the same colorblocking as Supreme (no it's not a box logo)?

Could someone help me out, would be greatly appreciated. Have a notebook full of designs, plenty of clever ideas for tees, and a marketing plan to generate hype, I just need someone to help me out as far as pricing and method.

http://WORLDWIDEwavy.tumblr.com/

March 31, 2012 @ 12:10 AM
HWYS - Joey

For crews I would for $36-$39. I wouldn't recommend going over that cuz then it will cut into your hoodies sale. For hoodies I will say anywhere $42 and up.

But at the end of the day, you really wanna push for whatever makes you the most profit. So if you are selling a one color tee for $24 and making $16 off of it, as opposed to a hoodie where your profit is only $10, then try to push the tee before the hoodie 3 to 1 all day.

March 31, 2012 @ 01:33 AM
karakter1

I'd buy that "Turntup" bucket hat. PM me when you drop it.

Anyways, how much is it costing you guys to start this up? Big Cartel payments, Shirt Samples and Orders, Tags, Stickers, etc.?

I know this is a dumb question, but do y'alls shirt graphics have that sort of shiny feel (Think a Nike Shirt), where you know it was placed on or do they have the graphics where it was sewn in, like say, those graphic tees at walmart where there is no difference in texture between the shirt and graphic, I think the difference between these two is called Silkscreen and Cut and Sew, but I could be wrong.

Where do you guys usually wholesale from, which has the best combo of quality and affordability, right now I'm looking at buying some tees, raglans/henleys, and hoodies from American Apparel.

Where do you guys get tags?

And lastly, how do you guys go about transferring your graphics to the computer. Right now I'm using a scanner and GIMP, but it's hard to kind of get it to where you can't tell it was initially a pencil drawing. Like I'm trying to make a shape with one letter inside (custom font so I can't get it off the internet) and make it so I can make the shape different colors with the actual letters the same color everytime . . . for all intents and purposes, the same colorblocking as Supreme (no it's not a box logo)?

Could someone help me out, would be greatly appreciated. Have a notebook full of designs, plenty of clever ideas for tees, and a marketing plan to generate hype, I just need someone to help me out as far as pricing and method.

damn ape....u really need a ton of help, first you should work on getting the designs from your book to the computer....draw it, scan it, finish it!

shinny plastic like print feeling is usually heat press.

Cut and sew is simply creating your garment from scratch ...as apposed to using a blank ( which was also made from scratch....so its not really a big deal for simple things like tees). It give you more control over the specifications of your garment.....but requires some insight on manufacturing,...can be less expensive per piece, but with MUCH higher minimum order requirements.
March 31, 2012 @ 01:37 AM
Jake Ocean

For crews I would for $36-$39. I wouldn't recommend going over that cuz then it will cut into your hoodies sale. For hoodies I will say anywhere $42 and up.

But at the end of the day, you really wanna push for whatever makes you the most profit. So if you are selling a one color tee for $24 and making $16 off of it, as opposed to a hoodie where your profit is only $10, then try to push the tee before the hoodie 3 to 1 all day.

you could honestly not be more wrong. you base the prices on how you want it to reflect off of on your brand. a high end brand prints a hoodie for a price everyone else gets, there not gonna charge $42. they price it however they want to price it. same with tees and crew necks.

there was so much wrong in that sentence god.

March 31, 2012 @ 01:42 AM
karakter1

my advise for pricing is to try to stay close to market value....check a few webstores and see what tees and crews are going for.
March 31, 2012 @ 01:46 AM
God Usopp

WWW.GRUMPCOMPANY.COM

nice, but why the use of the ninja turtles font?
http://www.fontshark.com/font/TMNT-63.html

I just Like the way it looks . Thanks tho
March 31, 2012 @ 01:51 AM
Broken Bank Clo

I mess with Hanes.
FOTL has some wierd fitment with sleeves and torsal
Gildan 50/50 is pretty decent as well.

Can I give you an advice for the better of your business?

I just checked your site and you have a lot of grammar errors. I would suggest getting someone you know who is well versed and have him/her proofread your stuff before making it public. You can easily turn off a number of people by that alone.

I'll be glad to help with the grammar if you need, I do have a creative writing degree. We can work something out for that "back to the beach" piece - that bitch is nice. Just trying to help my man.

lol

Yeah I know. You mean the blog in general right? I wanted it to have the "raw" feeling. Like straight from the heart. I did figure someone might see some concerns with it, but didn't think it would affect sales.
I wouldn't mind an exchange of service for a shirt. Happy you like that one.
To be honest I have been spending a lot of time trying to get a spring/summer drop together and haven't been to focused on the site like I should. It doesn't look anything like I want it. :/

@brokenbank -

your site needs some seriooooooooous re-working, lol. do you plan on doing that sometime soon?

I'm eventually going to have it professionally done. I remember you posting someone info who would help out. I'll probably be heading that route in the near future once I get some stuff together.

Broken Bank Clothing *** www.BrokenBankClothing.com *** @brokenbankclo

March 31, 2012 @ 01:55 AM
God Usopp

WWW.GRUMPCOMPANY.COM

The website looks good, pretty creatively done, too. But the fact that you have auto-play audio is a deathwish. That shit is annoying as fuck.

Thanks dude , I probably wont take the audio off though.
March 31, 2012 @ 02:07 AM
God Usopp

WWW.GRUMPCOMPANY.COM

the website is cool. but honestly, the logo is gross. i would hire a designer to re work that and maybe do a few shirt designs too..

Probably just gonna get better at designing as time goes. but thanks.
March 31, 2012 @ 02:18 AM
chads

WWW.GRUMPCOMPANY.COM

Thanks dude , I probably wont take the audio off though.

grump, I understand that you like what you are doing but we gave you feedback that is very true. The people who comment on your brand are your customers just like the kids at your school may be. Honestly, the designs are very childish and look like a doodle one might find in a 14-year-olds notebook. This really isn't a problem because that may be what you are shooting for but things like the automated audio are just plain annoying and a complete turn-off to someone who might be going on your site with high hopes of buying a shirt. If you really don't take this advice into account and decide to leave your music up, please put a god damn pause button on it so someone who might be interested doesn't have to listen to it.

chadacadabra.tumblr.com

March 31, 2012 @ 02:38 AM
slvtlife

WWW.GRUMPCOMPANY.COM

Probably just gonna get better at designing as time goes. but thanks.

There's a design for everyone out there, but what I want to know is, what does Grump mean to you? What do you want to say to people about it? Right now I'm seeing a reworked version of the smiley face with an interesting typeface. You're 14 and I give you mad props to that, and since you're on this road already so young you might as well start asking yourself and developing the skill set you need earlier than the rest who will walk down the path you take.

What's the story behind Grump? You're right about your designing getting better as time goes, but it'll mean nothing if it's not part of your brand story. Maybe spend some time to think about what you're trying to tell your audience and you'll have better execution on your future designs. Good luck, you've got a long road ahead!

Creative/Founder www.slvtlife.com / www.facebook.com/slvtlife

March 31, 2012 @ 03:21 AM
chads

^wise words

chadacadabra.tumblr.com

March 31, 2012 @ 03:25 AM
God Usopp

^^ Yeah, thanks for the feedback. really Gave me something i'll definitely keep in mind. 
March 31, 2012 @ 03:36 AM
big4slick20

^^ Yeah, thanks for the feedback. really Gave me something i'll definitely keep in mind. There's actually is a story behind it.

March 31, 2012 @ 03:50 AM
HWYS - Joey

you could honestly not be more wrong. you base the prices on how you want it to reflect off of on your brand. a high end brand prints a hoodie for a price everyone else gets, there not gonna charge $42. they price it however they want to price it. same with tees and crew necks.

there was so much wrong in that sentence god.

Wait what?? I dont get your response...
You say I'm wrong because I'm telling the guy what i think he could be getting for some products? How am I wrong on that one? Also, if you're saying I'm wrong cuz I'm telling the dude to push the most profit making product, then u have no idea how a business is run.

March 31, 2012 @ 04:01 AM
HWYS - Joey

Also if you look at my response to Heavyset's website, you will see I even commented on him pricing his stuff on the lower end of the norm. Now, if you are trying to say that you as the owner/seller are the sole voice when it comes to what an item cost, then yeah, no doubt. If you can sell a tee for $78 a piece, then go for it. I based my numbers on the average pricing Isee on sites like karmaloop and stuff..

At the end of the day, priced your shit as high as possible.
You just have to work hard at making the demand greater than the supply.

March 31, 2012 @ 05:50 AM
noonecares

Thanks for all the advice, I'm glad it was diverse cause that'll help build it. Right now all those designs are just things I've made to work off of and I'm glad you stressed the fact of keeping them in one subject cause I didn't think heavily into that. And yeah I don't have the rights to the photos but if I can get the rights to it then I'll use it. But to be honest I have absolutely no idea how to get those rights. I'll keep you all updated on what I'm dropping and when. Also the orange mockup was first done on white, prolly wouldn't get it printed on orange unless I do a few colors per tee.
March 31, 2012 @ 06:17 AM
kuntakinte

Heavyset

Check the site & blog

That video was fucking cool

also are you dropping those hoodies this season?
March 31, 2012 @ 06:48 AM
J THEDRPT.

Thanks for all the advice, I'm glad it was diverse cause that'll help build it. Right now all those designs are just things I've made to work off of and I'm glad you stressed the fact of keeping them in one subject cause I didn't think heavily into that. And yeah I don't have the rights to the photos but if I can get the rights to it then I'll use it. But to be honest I have absolutely no idea how to get those rights. I'll keep you all updated on what I'm dropping and when. Also the orange mockup was first done on white, prolly wouldn't get it printed on orange unless I do a few colors per tee.

Chances are the rights to those photos would cost more than you can afford and make it almost impossible for you to make a profit. Most startup brands just use them without permission and hope they aren't well known enough for the copyright holder to care. Do so at your own risk though.

Still Kicking.

March 31, 2012 @ 06:57 AM
HEAVYSET

Heavyset

Check the site & blog

That video was fucking cool

also are you dropping those hoodies this season?

Glad you liked the video!

Only crewnecks available for this season, hoodies coming in the Fall

WeAreHeavyset.com | O.S.O.S.

Please login first to reply.