Starting a New Line/Brand Feedback Thread

Mar 26, 2012 @ 21:52
Do you guys got any tips for starting out? Been bored lately always wanted to try to start something figured id try it out, even if it doesnt work it will keep me busy.

Adobe Illustrator for tee graphics correct?

where the azn girls at

Mar 26, 2012 @ 21:55
Hey its your brand and you can do anything you want with it. And who knows, there might be a bunch of people waiting for that specific design to be printed on a shirt.

On a separate note, is selling on bigcartel, storenvy and such a good idea or should I consider having the website include our own storefront?

I like the simplicity of storenvy and if I read it correctly there are no setup/mostly fees.
Hey its your brand and you can do anything you want with it. And who knows, there might be a bunch of people waiting for that specific design to be printed on a shirt.

On a separate note, is selling on bigcartel, storenvy and such a good idea or should I consider having the website include our own storefront?

I like the simplicity of storenvy and if I read it correctly there are no setup/mostly fees.

it all depends on how serious you are on starting a clothing brand. to me , starting a clothing rand doesn't mean just having 4 products on a storeenvy. if that's what you think is starting according brand, you have a lot of thinking to do.
I'm having a full custom website with the shop being hosted on big cartel. ultimately , , it all comes down to how easy you make the shopping experience for your customer.

but there's nothing that bothers me more than "brands" that come out with 4 designs on a big cartel and consider themselves a clothing brand

This is a question I've tossed and turned with, and ultimately, it comes down to where you are with your brand (finances, growth, etc.). I decided to utilize a bigcartel shop, and customize it, although initially I wanted in-site commerce, but always remembers what's in your store is ultimately what's important. If your delivering a solid product, the store influences opinion, but quality is what gets the cards out of their wallets.

www.stillwild.co / online store that celebrates nature!

Mar 27, 2012 @ 00:07
Originally posted by Inactive User
Do you guys got any tips for starting out? Been bored lately always wanted to try to start something figured id try it out, even if it doesnt work it will keep me busy.

Adobe Illustrator for tee graphics correct?

It all depends on the type of graphic and finish you want. I like the vinyl heat process better than the screen-printed one - plus there are a couple more. I'll say go on a t-shirt forum and look around for the type of style you wanna end up with and go from there.

www.highwaysco.us -- for some fucking reason, you must use the www. idk why fml.

Mar 27, 2012 @ 00:33

it all depends on how serious you are on starting a clothing brand. to me , starting a clothing rand doesn't mean just having 4 products on a storeenvy. if that's what you think is starting according brand, you have a lot of thinking to do.
I'm having a full custom website with the shop being hosted on big cartel. ultimately , , it all comes down to how easy you make the shopping experience for your customer.

but there's nothing that bothers me more than "brands" that come out with 4 designs on a big cartel and consider themselves a clothing brand

this is false. some of the most successful lines have 3-4 shirt drops. you don't have a clothing line, yet you're sitting here and looking down on others who do? how does that work?
Mar 27, 2012 @ 00:34
where the hell you guys getting all these cheap prices on printing?
Mar 27, 2012 @ 01:04
bigcartel is a great webstore..no matter how big or small the brand...stay focused on the real things that matter!

http://www.shopundrcrwn.com/ -this is actually hosted on bigcartel...
Mar 27, 2012 @ 01:14
4 tees, graphic tee brand?, clothing brand?....whatever! get it done folks.

dont need 10 designs, cut and sew, hats and stickers to get started!...take your 4 tees, get your local shops to carry them on consignment, throw them joints up on your bigcartel webstore, promote it on facebook and twitter....and build!
Mar 27, 2012 @ 01:23
4 tees, graphic tee brand?, clothing brand?....whatever! get it done folks.

dont need 10 designs, cut and sew, hats and stickers to get started!...take your 4 tees, get your local shops to carry them on consignment, throw them joints up on your bigcartel webstore, promote it on facebook and twitter....and build!

You are right but if you can wait a bit longer and get your startup correct then do so.
No need to rush a business venture.

www.highwaysco.us -- for some fucking reason, you must use the www. idk why fml.

Mar 27, 2012 @ 01:31
I feel in order for a brand to work it needs a reason to exist, and not just because you can use illustrator and want to make some $ from tees. If it's something that you're serious about then it needs to have a foundation that can later be seen as it heritage / history. It requires research, knowledge and passion. The amount of startup brands with weak graphics / imagery that claim they're legit because they detach and sew in their labels or source their screen printing "locally" is unreal.

If you have passion towards your brand and designs that people (not just your Mum) will dig, then GO NUTS!

Wise words. I really wish more people would take this into account.

chadacadabra.tumblr.com

Mar 27, 2012 @ 02:44
Coming out with 4 products on a Bigcartel / storenvy doesn't make you a clothing brand. Say what you want, it isn't a clothing brand.

It be different if you came out with a full website, 4 products, a lookbook, and etc. But if it's just 4 products, you're not.

http://www.distantlight.co

Mar 27, 2012 @ 02:45
To the guy that mentioned Undrcrown... Undercrowns webstore is just hosted on Bigcartel. They have a full blown website

Mar 27, 2012 @ 04:04
nm
Mar 27, 2012 @ 04:06
Coming out with 4 products on a Bigcartel / storenvy doesn't make you a clothing brand. Say what you want, it isn't a clothing brand.

It be different if you came out with a full website, 4 products, a lookbook, and etc. But if it's just 4 products, you're not.

some brands don't have look books. i have no idea what you're talking about. all it takes is one really good design to blow a brand up. just one catchy design that is a proven seller.

like someone already said, just do it. stop worrying about definitions of a brand. because right now, you sound like a hater. don't worry about how many shirts the next guy has. worry about your own product.
Mar 27, 2012 @ 04:06

some brands don't have look books. i have no idea what you're talking about, but good luck.

i agree, a full website plus a lookbook certifies you as a "clothing brand" ehh
Mar 27, 2012 @ 04:47
there's no proven method...you can start with 1 shirt...order 12 sell em and order 24 more...sure it helps but you dont NEED to come out the gate with a full line of clothes, big website, lookbooks and all that

www.shoplgnds.com | LGNDS NEVER DIE!

Mar 27, 2012 @ 05:48
Heavyset

Check the site & blog

Online store opening 03.30.12

Follow on FB: facebook.com/weareheavyset
Instagram & Twitter: @weareheavyset

WeAreHeavyset.com | O.S.O.S.

Mar 27, 2012 @ 05:52
Do it because you enjoy what you do.. not because you are after the cash. For us we feel accomplished if we see someone liking & wearing things designed by us. That feeling is a much greater return to us than the monetary means itself; gg.
Mar 27, 2012 @ 06:12
Do it because you enjoy what you do.. not because you are after the cash. For us we feel accomplished if we see someone liking & wearing things designed by us. That feeling is a much greater return to us than the monetary means itself; gg.

I appreciate that you keep it real.

THE VISIONARY IS YOU - www.minsct.com

Mar 27, 2012 @ 06:41
Heavyset

Check the site & blog

Previews of your brand looks dope. cant wait to see it

SHOP.WDNATION.COM

Mar 27, 2012 @ 07:04
Heavyset

Check the site & blog

digging this shit
Mar 27, 2012 @ 08:43
Heavyset

Check the site & blog

this looks...really fucking cool.

www.wolfpartyusa.com

Mar 27, 2012 @ 09:04
Been MIA for a bit...

Hey everyone. I'm from Poche Clothing. I've read everyone's comments and I just want to clear some things up. We don't use Hanes or any cheap brands. We use American Apparel. The main idea of our brand is to show that you can have quality work for less than the cost of brands such as Tantum or Appeal. We're not claiming to be original, just doing it for the love. We are fans of the clothing. Quality comes first for us. Thanks.
Mar 27, 2012 @ 14:17
To the guy that mentioned Undrcrown... Undercrowns webstore is just hosted on Bigcartel. They have a full blown website

yeh..has the same functions as all bigcartel sites...they purchased and added the domain name...but it looks and functions the same as the stores that choose the cheapest options!- compare- http://freshletes.bigcartel.com/ http://www.shopundrcrwn.com/products

no need for anything fancy.
Mar 27, 2012 @ 14:23

starting out with 4 tees on bigcartel means that you are STARTING a clothing brand...nothing wrong with that!

get those tees out, create some buzz, make some sales...then continue to grow!

i think some of you guys are comparing a start up brand to a fully blown established brand........big mistake! For most brands..that started from scratch...fully funded by out of the pockets of the owner...they started with a few tees and some hustle!

don't be fooled fellas.
Mar 27, 2012 @ 15:00
@ WD.MYLES, kuntakinte, streetshark, Thank you. Alot of hard work has gone into this. The full collection will be released this Friday along with our video lookbook.

Until then feel free to follow us and show love. We're always doing the same.
It's all about good people helping good people.

WeAreHeavyset.com | O.S.O.S.

Mar 27, 2012 @ 15:16
There's a big difference between having 4 tees and thinking yoy have a brand, than having 4 tees and continue to grow and expand. Selling tees to some friedns doesn't make you a brand. It just means you are selling tees to your friends, and friends of friends. The mentality has to be to continue to grow and expand.

I have yet to sell a clothing piece to anyone because I want my brand to be as legit and ready as possible from the getgo. Could I be making some money at the moment selling to friends and such? Sure, buy I would rather wait and get everything as perfect as possible before doing so...

Mar 27, 2012 @ 15:25

yeh..has the same functions as all bigcartel sites...they purchased and added the domain name...but it looks and functions the same as the stores that choose the cheapest options!- compare- http://freshletes.bigcartel.com/ http://www.shopundrcrwn.com/products

no need for anything fancy.

Less is more. But note that Undrcrwn spends 30 bucks a month hosting their shop on Bigcartel.

Mar 27, 2012 @ 18:02
Just being an antagonist here, but if one were to only have one choice between the two most common options, that being a t-shirt with exceptional concept & execution and a so-so quality garment OR a t-shirt with a lack of concept & execution with an "American Apparel" quality garment.

It seems that many are hung up on the idea that we all got to start of using the very best in the industry & that money isn't an issue. Fact of the matter is start off with what you got, and believe in what you have. Most awesome brands started off just for shits & giggles and/or because it was a hobby of sorts. The strongest & most important asset you have is the concepts that you bring to the world. It's pointless having "ABC" printed on an Armani quality fabric...

Creative/Founder www.slvtlife.com / www.facebook.com/slvtlife

Mar 27, 2012 @ 20:42
there's no proven method...you can start with 1 shirt...order 12 sell em and order 24 more...sure it helps but you dont NEED to come out the gate with a full line of clothes, big website, lookbooks and all that

+1

some brands come out with too much, imo. If you focus on just a few hot pieces, you don't need 10 designs. a nice website and product that's hot is really all i look for in a brand, right now. it's all subjective, though, and my preferences may be too bare or minimal for someone who wants to see more from a brand.

i just think it's kind of closed-minded to tell someone that they're not a "brand" because they only have 4 releases for sale, as opposed to someone who has 14 designs for sale.
Mar 27, 2012 @ 22:41
I'd say don't listen to people who are trying to label and categorize your business into a 'clothing brand' or whatever. Why the fuck does it really matter? If you become successful, whatever that may be to you, then thats all that really matters. I consider my brand multi-faceted in that clothing isn't our only way of promoting our message. The Visionary is You my friends.

THE VISIONARY IS YOU - www.minsct.com

This topic is locked, replies are no longer accepted.
HYPECHAT 0