April 4, 2013 @ 04:02 PM
moderndark

Another Black Scale meets Another Enemy meets Twin Column meets blah blah blah...
Wow. Our first international hater. Cheers.
April 4, 2013 @ 04:28 PM
shillco

Hey guys, don't know if you would have any info on this topic but... If you were a brand wholesaling to international stores ie: outside of North America.... How would you go about fulfilling orders? I know it's easier to do one off shipments but once you get into bulk orders you have to worry about customs, exportation, taxes, shipping, logistics, etc.

Just wondering if anyone had any experience with that. Thanks!
Had the opportunity to do it but it fell through on the buyers side. Depends on how much they want and the amount you're charging for wholesale. Also, if you can negotiate how you want to handle the shipping cost. Some people are down to pay the shipping if you throw in a couple extra shirts or you can charge them the shipping fee. There are tons of ways of going about this process. Just need to talk to them and see how they handle business and base it off what you are able to do. It's better to get paid upfront for the order that way if your shit doesn't move it's not on you. 
thanks @hkeys for your input. I am going about it a bit different of a route. If you go look at places like Asos.com and see Herschel Supply bags, they're like double to price we see in North America. They are obviously writing big orders, but the reason those costs are higher must be in part to shipping, but more so to inflation costs. I guess I am wondering why such an increase in price, and can it be avoided when dealing with international stores / chains?
I think the reason might be customs fees.

www.shillingfordco.com

April 4, 2013 @ 05:19 PM
HWYS - Joey

@ModernDark -- if you thought your brand was any different than the ones I posted you could had provided that info. Instead you decided to sarcastically make fun of the situation... Kinda childish coming from a new start-up which needs the most positive connection with its target market.

Good luck to you, I mean it, just don't get so mad when the connections/similarities are mentioned regarding, "yet another urban goth brand".

www.highwaysco.us -- for some fucking reason, you must use the www. idk why fml.

April 4, 2013 @ 07:54 PM
DannyHH

Does anyone have a resale license? If so can you PM me
April 4, 2013 @ 07:58 PM
paperboyjim

Here to enlighten you:

The Geekly Hallows - Merch.
April 4, 2013 @ 09:24 PM
Iarumas

Another Black Scale meets Another Enemy meets Twin Column meets blah blah blah...
Wow. Our first international hater. Cheers.
Well the guy's not lying. Instead of bitching against him, think about what he said. The word "Dark" in that overused font isn't really creative, you gotta admit that.
April 4, 2013 @ 11:33 PM
chads

@Chad

you are right..it takes some effort to start a brand..shitty or not.

but the whole idea of starting ANOTHER tee brand, is what is unoriginal. just take a look in this thread alone. Its is currently "the new thing to do"....got a drawing?...start a tee brand. Came up with a logo design?..start a tee brand. got an idea to flip some Lux logos? start a tee brand.

the whole concept of making a brand based on a few idea...is unoriginal. 
Agreed on this, the idea is unoriginal but even the most shoddy brands requires some effort.

chadacadabra.tumblr.com

April 4, 2013 @ 11:48 PM
minsct

What does it really take to make a great clothing brand these days?

Since we all know that nothing is 'truly' original anymore (every creation is derived from some previous inspiration) - then we can say right off the bat that it is not 'true' originality that makes a brand great. That being said, the question still remains.

In my opinion, a great brand is a combination of various faucets. To me, these faucets include (but are not limited to) branding, design, marketing, business and identity. In a sense, all of these faucets interlock with each other and create a massive intertwined system. In today's crazy world, it's not enough to just be 'good' in one or two faucets, you need to be exceptionally superb at every faucet. Unfortunately, achieved excellence in all of these faucets takes thousands of man hours and a high degree of talent - something not everyone has.

The issue with today's brands is that most people are jumping into the game with very little focus on certain aspects. In fact, a large majority of shitty brands on here seem to completely lack in certain areas. I see too many young arrogant teens throwing blackscale inspired images on shirts without any business, design or branding knowledge. These are the types of people that saturate this already saturated market. But you know what? Let them do it. More time to shine for the rest of us that are passionate about what we do.

Now I turn the question onto anyone who wants to share. What do you think makes a great brand?

THE VISIONARY IS YOU - www.minsct.com

April 5, 2013 @ 12:35 AM
karakter1

^^^
well..lets take an example from a brand that you like...and lets break down why you think its a great brand.
April 5, 2013 @ 01:00 AM
minsct

Post deleted (karakter reply below)

April 5, 2013 @ 01:08 AM
BEENHUSTLINGNINEFOUR

Officially working on some womens garments.

Decided to come up with a "high end" looking logo for this line. It will be a mix of high end and streetwear.

also a side note to the guy paying $12+ for new era hats blanks, you are paying to much.
if we're posting B dollar signs, might as well include this:
http://billionaires.io/
Raver brand based out of NC, I believe.

The B dollar sign is so common it's pretty much public domain.

hot water

April 5, 2013 @ 01:13 AM
minsct

A great brand to me is someone like A.P.C, Naked And Famous, Supreme, ONLY NY or Nike (different league). Why?

Well, to start things off, all of these brands portray excellent design communication. On that note, they also create exceptionally good quality product in a consistent manner - this is also intertwined with their design communication. Furthermore, these brands aren't afraid to make bold statements by introducing (or resurfacing) patterns, fabrics or collaborating with a diverse range of people, all while still staying true to their identiy.  Above that, from what I understand (which is not much), they have great business skills and strategies. As cliche as it may seem, Supreme appears to have their business model down to a science. They always appear to have demand slightly higher than supply (everyones goal). What is their secret to overall success? likely various factors (some which cannot be learned or controlled).

April 5, 2013 @ 03:05 AM
vexbrand

In my opinion, a great brand is a combination of various faucets. To me, these faucets include (but are not limited to) branding, design, marketing, business and identity. In a sense, all of these faucets interlock with each other and create a massive intertwined system. In today's crazy world, it's not enough to just be 'good' in one or two faucets, you need to be exceptionally superb at every faucet. Unfortunately, achieved excellence in all of these faucets takes thousands of man hours and a high degree of talent - something not everyone has.
I think a brand needs shiny faucets like this:

vexbrand.com instagram.com/vexbrand facebook.com/vexbrand

April 5, 2013 @ 04:08 AM
hkeys

Does anyone have a resale license? If so can you PM me
Yeah, sending you one now.

http://thedividedminds.com/

April 5, 2013 @ 05:36 AM
bulmasaur

I'm sure this has been covered but what are the legalities behind putting celebrity images on clothing?

I know you're supposed to contact the photographer and/or person in the image but what do smaller brands do?

For example: 
April 5, 2013 @ 05:38 AM
foreground

FRGD in Maui, HI.
Visit us today for our new collection & accessories.
http://www.foregroundclothing.com 

Foreground ® - Rise Independently. www.foregroundofficial.com

April 5, 2013 @ 09:20 AM
teows

I'm sure this has been covered but what are the legalities behind putting celebrity images on clothing?
Also wondering about this. For paintings also. Supreme used one for the Red Riding Hood tee and just slapped their name on it. Wonder if they had 'ok' to do so.
April 5, 2013 @ 12:07 PM
BEENHUSTLINGNINEFOUR

Also wondering about this. For paintings also. Supreme used one for the Red Riding Hood tee and just slapped their name on it. Wonder if they had 'ok' to do so.
I think that painting was so old, it was public domain/

hot water

April 5, 2013 @ 01:48 PM
logojones

I know you're supposed to contact the photographer and/or person in the image but what do smaller brands do?

For example: 
Don't get caught but you probably will. 

r e a c h 4 t h e s t a r s b u t d o n t g e t 2 c l o s e y o u m i g h t b u r n y o u r h a n d

April 5, 2013 @ 01:51 PM
HWYS - Joey

If a painting or photo is owned by an individual, you will need legal authorization to use it. I'm pretty sure smaller brands will try to get away with using them and take the risk but bigger companies like Supreme would be stupid to do so.

If you look at Obey, they have been sued a few times for this same issue. I wish Obey would get raped in court for the plagiarism it has done over the years, so hopefully more artists will sue them for being nothing but scammers.

www.highwaysco.us -- for some fucking reason, you must use the www. idk why fml.

April 5, 2013 @ 04:55 PM
Metsys©

For example: 
I think Dertbag has been using Cam'ron images for a bit now, idk if he cares or even notices it 

systemnj.com | Supplying the masses

April 5, 2013 @ 05:24 PM
joeylocally

http://locallyunknown.com/

Interested in any criticism, we are based out of Santa Clarita (Los Angeles County) and have been doing pretty well with this brand for the last 8 months, shirts are only $12 and they are made from the same shirts that of Diamond Supply and The Hundreds, let me know what you think, thanks!

April 5, 2013 @ 06:47 PM
logojones

Interested in any criticism, we are based out of Santa Clarita (Los Angeles County) and have been doing pretty well with this brand for the last 8 months, shirts are only $12 and they are made from the same shirts that of Diamond Supply and The Hundreds, let me know what you think, thanks!

Solid designs with a great approach. Just not a fan of that little lighting bolt logo, feel like everyone has that shit.

r e a c h 4 t h e s t a r s b u t d o n t g e t 2 c l o s e y o u m i g h t b u r n y o u r h a n d

April 5, 2013 @ 07:00 PM
cityofsavages

Everything but the top shirt with the mickey hands and american flag is cool with me. Those two trends have been ran through by a countless number of brands. Good work, best of luck to you guys.

City of Savages Clothing http://shop.thecityofsavages.com "Live Free or Die"

April 5, 2013 @ 08:36 PM
al dente co.

For example: 

Cam'ron Ok'd this with Phil, the owner of Dertbag... he said he was cool with it...

al dente company // aldenteco.com

April 5, 2013 @ 10:29 PM
mrwonderful

http://www.ninevancouver.com

mrwonderful

mrwonderful

April 5, 2013 @ 10:30 PM
mrwonderful