300+ New Sale Items (Up to 80% Off Selected Brands)
February 23, 2013 @ 07:25 PM
karakter1

Does anyone else here think Karmaloop has ruined the true essence of streetwear for many brands? If true 'streetwear' entails keeping things exclusive and holding a strong brand identity then it is obvious that karmaloop strives to achieve the exact opposite. They require mass produced product and then throw it in with 200 other brands. Sure, some of these brand owners have children to feed but if you really value your brands unique identity, you can find other ways. Keep it to exclusive online retailers that embrace exclusivity and share your similar aesthetic. Brands I most respect in the game are not on karmaloop. FUCT, ONLY NY, WOR just to name a few.

If one thing stands for certain, it is that I will never put my brand on karmaloop.

That depends on how you interpret 'exclusiveness'. Is it insanely limited runs on product, just to generate the "I want it and I can't get it" buzz? Or is it just trying to limit the crowd who wears your product?

That being said, if a site ever ruined streetwear, it was Zumiez. Fuck that site and fuck every brand on it.
Think of 'exclusivity' as choosing your friends (retailers) wisely. Karmaloop, to me, is that whore on the corner who will sleep with anyone just to get an extra buck.
the Hypebeast store also has over 100 brands...and gets an enormous amount of web-traffic also! that is far from exclusive!

the brands that you respect are getting the same amount of web exposure as the brands that you dont.

wether you prefer Karmaloop webstore...or Hypebeat is just personal choice....but in terms of 'exclusivity' and 'whoring out'...its the same amount of traffic!  

I guess the hypebeast webstore would also be a whore then...but the one in the business district..that sleeps with anyone with a collar shirt and blazer, just to get a few extra bucks! 
February 23, 2013 @ 07:46 PM
Moises Arias

Does anyone else here think Karmaloop has ruined the true essence of streetwear for many brands? If true 'streetwear' entails keeping things exclusive and holding a strong brand identity then it is obvious that karmaloop strives to achieve the exact opposite. They require mass produced product and then throw it in with 200 other brands. Sure, some of these brand owners have children to feed but if you really value your brands unique identity, you can find other ways. Keep it to exclusive online retailers that embrace exclusivity and share your similar aesthetic. Brands I most respect in the game are not on karmaloop. FUCT, ONLY NY, WOR just to name a few.

If one thing stands for certain, it is that I will never put my brand on karmaloop.
Karmaloop had FUCT in stock awhile ago. And while i dont shop their mostly because of their weak clothing selection, i will admit this karmaloop does have certain qualities that other sites can learn from. For one karmaloop are always having a sale and are good at having atleast 3 to 4 contest a year. Also this is 2013, having a exclusive online retailer only benefits the online retailer. Thats good for brands like supreme because they are their own retailer. But to other brands thats just trying to get their name out, the more the merrier. I think the true killer of streetwear brands is all the streetwear brands that copies off of each other. Nowadays there is no difference between brands like undefeated, 10 deep, or even truk fit except the logo.

My name is ASAC Schrader, and you can go fuck yourself.

February 23, 2013 @ 08:58 PM
mobbyluii

Hard Knoxx Spring/Summer 2013 Vol. 1 Collection drops Today at 5 pm PST
Webstore
HB Discussion Thread

IG: @mobbyluii

February 23, 2013 @ 09:21 PM
stillwild

I can see that some of still believe that brands value certain customers over other.....

most brands start with a local following,...then pick up  new customers from the 100 boutique accounts....then pick up all kinds of new customers from the reach of major webshops.

each customer base is just as important as the other in order to continue growth and brand success. 

brands will not refuse your business if this is your first "streetwear" tee.....and you get no special consideration because you believe that you are educated about the lifestyle!

you will find just about EVERY major brand in some kind of huge webstore...or a combination of webstores.....all the same thing! 

if you are a local that only likes to support the flagship store..fine Get it from there.
if you are a cool kid that only like to shop at boutiques...fine. Get it from the boutique
if you are new to the game and only shop at web superstores...cool. welcome..Get it from the webstore!

It happens with every brand...the people that support early, hate when a brand grows and gets new supporters...they want brands to stay small and exclusive and keep it just for themselves and a select few people....but in reality, it was never the intention of the brand to stay small for long! 
Look up Tesla... they don't even have a dealership? Dumb? No. They want a CERTAIN customer. How do you get them? AND exclude the others? WHILE growing your business. Targeting. Yes every brand wants to grow. But No. It's quite silly to think that you have to grow in a way that is marketing through multiple resources.

If your Benny Gold, is it better to be on Karmaloop? Once again, given his original strategy, no? Hence why his retailers likely only receive a single large shipment, rather than multiple restocks.

The Hundreds, only sells things in THSM, THSF, why? Because they are COMMITTED, to keeping their brand exclusive (and as far as I know, would NOT venture to Karmaloop). 

Brand perception is very important, and is what separates In-N-Out from McDonalds burgers.

www.stillwild.co / online store that celebrates nature!

February 23, 2013 @ 09:38 PM
highchew

WHILE SUPPLIES LAST

http://peerlesslives.com
February 23, 2013 @ 09:47 PM
paperboyjim

February 23, 2013 @ 10:07 PM
itsshawnc

You gotta remember also Karmaloop is just trying to give opportunity to all the people on the come up that need some place for there shirts to sell. Everyone has a different path when starting your own brand. Each individual looks at streetwear differently. I personally would not sell my clothing on Karmaloop just because I feel the same as all you guys but Pharrel even did work with them and respected there site. Its all about respect in my opinion and the perspective you look at things.
February 23, 2013 @ 11:21 PM
karakter1

@stillwild

Benny gold is on karmaloop and many other superwebstores.

The Hundreds may have been on Karmaloop, but the also are in many other super webstores and chain stores. These dudes have HUNDREDS of accounts! ..what the hell do you mean " committed to keeping it exclusive?"
February 23, 2013 @ 11:35 PM
karakter1

@stillwild

and by the way....you say that brands should target a "CERTAIN customer"????

what exactly is that certain customer that is perfect for a particular tee shirt?
any one of your favorite brands that you think should be reserved for a select few...can be purchased by ANYONE!!!!!!!

do you think brands have a servery at the checkout section of the webstore....refusing certain customers because a few fanatics want to keep it exclusive?

ALL BRANDS!!!!!  sell at boutiques (whether it be owned by them or not ) ..and webstores (whether it be owned by them or not)...and ANYONE can purchase with no prob.
February 24, 2013 @ 01:08 AM
mobbyluii

Hard Knoxx Spring/Summer Vol. 1 Collection is now available on the Webstore

IG: @mobbyluii

February 24, 2013 @ 01:11 AM
minsct

Haha honestly dudes, sure karmaloop offers massive business opportunity to brands in the streetwear market but I feel that they represent heavy aggressive capitalism within the industry. Being a brand owner that values a balance between earth, profit and people, I don't stand for Selkoe's get-rich-quick and ignore the rest mindset.

That and I despise most of the brands they carry. Pure junk with a few exceptions.

Sure, support karmaloop if it increases your sales ten-fold and gets you closer to the level of 'fame' you've been having wet dreams about. We aren't going be on the same page though.

THE VISIONARY IS YOU - www.minsct.com

February 24, 2013 @ 01:42 AM
ctkim

@stillwild

and by the way....you say that brands should target a "CERTAIN customer"????

what exactly is that certain customer that is perfect for a particular tee shirt?
any one of your favorite brands that you think should be reserved for a select few...can be purchased by ANYONE!!!!!!!

do you think brands have a servery at the checkout section of the webstore....refusing certain customers because a few fanatics want to keep it exclusive?

ALL BRANDS!!!!!  sell at boutiques (whether it be owned by them or not ) ..and webstores (whether it be owned by them or not)...and ANYONE can purchase with no prob.
i see what you are saying but i think you took stillwild's use of the word "exclude" too literally. he's not saying that some brands will stop certain ppl from buying their brand. he's just saying that brands target their customers by choosing where and how they sell their clothes which I'm sure you agree with already. 

Like I said before, I see where you are coming from. I think stillwild used the word "exclude" a little awkwardly which is what you are addressing in your post, but his main point is valid. 

http://crispincooler.tumblr.com

February 24, 2013 @ 01:43 AM
qrct1

bobby hundreds is a perplexing character.
he features their flagship store on his blog, and then laters calls the ecommerce site as the 'starbucks of streetwear'. then takes his brand off of there.

i just think putting your brand on karmaloop means selling out, if it isn't already self-evident. if your brand doesn't grow organically and naturally, it's going to be a slave to the demands of trendy graphics and someone else may be in charge of the brand image and direction, possibly turning it into something you've never wanted it to be.

aeterna13.com

February 24, 2013 @ 01:46 AM
qrct1

karmaloops dominion over streetwear webspace is undeniable though. 

Anyone on the internet is going to flock to karmaloop simply because their presence online is ubiquitous.
many brands may just have trouble in that aspect of selling their gear

aeterna13.com

February 24, 2013 @ 02:16 AM
BEENHUSTLINGNINEFOUR

Already tried that. Beginning to think it's just something I like, but whatever.

hot water

February 24, 2013 @ 02:32 AM
karakter1

what up peeps...

thanks for all who chimed in....makes for a good dialog on the subject.

the only streetwear site on the web that gets similar traffic to Karmaloop is Hypebeast!

you guys single out Karmaloop, when all of these "so called " exclusive, lifestyles, limited, selective brands...are in MANY other webstores!

you guys act like consumer only shop at 1 site!

sooo..you dont like Karmaloop because they sell to much product? ..Attic is also a huge webstore that sells a ton of product.....Moose Limited also carries a million brands, get tons of traffic and sell a bunch of product....

how can you be biased against 1 site.....if you against the whole notion of mass selling streetwear and making it available to millions of customers every day, with a wide variety of over 100 brands.....then you should have a prob with a lot more webstores than Karmaloop...and alot more brands....( you can start with the Hypebeast webstore and see the hundred brands that they carry!)

some of you guys are too cool...with your double standards!  you don't fucks with brands on the loop.....but ur fave brands being on the other 20 websotres that are similar....no prob?
February 24, 2013 @ 02:35 AM
BEENHUSTLINGNINEFOUR

_________
No, but they will market to a specific crowd. Do you see any streetwear brands targeting singles in their mid-30s to 40s? None that I know of, because that's not the crowd they want associated with their brand. Does Rolex pay for ads in a parenting magazine? No, because they'd much rather spend that money putting it in Forbes or some other snooty magazine. It's all about the market you're making the product for, and while everybody's welcome to buy, the brands aren't targeting them.

So, it's not so much exclusivity, as it is maintaining brand image. Most of how a brand is perceived is by who's wearing it.

hot water

February 24, 2013 @ 02:38 AM
karakter1

i just think putting your brand on karmaloop means selling out, if it isn't already self-evident. if your brand doesn't grow organically and naturally,
so are you implying that brands should not seek out means of distribution?.....

which ones are natural and organic....and which ones are sellout?

soo..most large webstores are fine...but Karmaloop is no good?
February 24, 2013 @ 02:41 AM
BEENHUSTLINGNINEFOUR

what up peeps...

the only streetwear site on the web that gets similar traffic to Karmaloop is Hypebeast!

you guys single out Karmaloop, when all of these "so called " exclusive, lifestyles, limited, selective brands...are in MANY other webstores!

sooo..you dont like Karmaloop because they sell to much product? ..Attic is also a huge webstore that sells a ton of product.....Moose Limited also carries a million brands, get tons of traffic and sell a bunch of product....

how can you be biased against 1 site.....if you against the whole notion of mass selling streetwear and making it available to millions of customers every day, with a wide variety of over 100 brands.....then you should have a prob with a lot more webstores than Karmaloop...and alot more brands....( you can start with the Hypebeast webstore and see the hundred brands that they carry!)

some of you guys are too cool...with your double standards!  you don't fucks with brands on the loop.....but ur fave brands being on the other 20 websotres that are similar....no prob?
I fuck with some brands on Karmaloop, and as a webstore, it's not really that bad. PLNDR has the most ass selection I've ever seen, but I suppose that comes with the price tag.

If there was ever a store I didn't like, it was Zumiez. The people who seem to shop there have left a sour taste in my mouth about the whole thing.

hot water

February 24, 2013 @ 02:42 AM
karakter1

_________
No, but they will market to a specific crowd. Do you see any streetwear brands targeting singles in their mid-30s to 40s? None that I know of, because that's not the crowd they want associated with their brand. Does Rolex pay for ads in a parenting magazine? No, because they'd much rather spend that money putting it in Forbes or some other snooty magazine. It's all about the market you're making the product for, and while everybody's welcome to buy, the brands aren't targeting them.

So, it's not so much exclusivity, as it is maintaining brand image. Most of how a brand is perceived is by who's wearing it.
ok....so what customer does Karmaloop market too...and why is that customer bad for a particular brand?
February 24, 2013 @ 02:43 AM
qrct1

idk got bored and thought puf was gay

aeterna13.com

February 24, 2013 @ 03:33 AM
minsct

@karakter Karmaloop, in my opinion, markets to people without any REAL (high standard) knowledge or interest in fashion. It gives them an avenue to pick out that mega wack snakeskin snapback they saw Big Sean wearing. It lets the average person access mediocre streetwear without having to do any real research or connect with a brand.

On the other hand, an online store such as hypebeast better caters to the hardcore streetwear/fashion forward individual. For the most part, they carry brands that share similar mentalities and doesn't really oversaturate everything into one big shitpile of trash. For instance, when you click on a brand in the Hypebeast store, the first thing you see is a brief overview of what the brand is about. This allows people to connect right off the bat. They feel like they are apart of the movement (or whatever the fuck you want to call it). Regardless, I apperciate and stand for hypebeast online retail methods far above karmaloops.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not completely against online retailers, just the megamonsters who have no regard for brand identity. But again, every opinion I have expressed here is fully subjective. Just like every opinion on this forum. For that reason, I rest my case.

THE VISIONARY IS YOU - www.minsct.com

February 24, 2013 @ 04:01 AM
BEENHUSTLINGNINEFOUR

_________

ok....so what customer does Karmaloop market too...and why is that customer bad for a particular brand?
Apparently one that Mincst doesn't want. 

The kind that likes Obey, Crooks And Castles, DGK, and so on. While these customers are good for a brand that wants this type of customer, for other brands, these are bad.

Why did Abercrombie&Fitch pay off Jersey Shore's The Situation to stop wearing their stuff? They didn't want him associated with the brand, they wanted beach bums associated with it(or maybe that's Hollister. Anyways, you get the point).

Your customer is kind of like a diplomat, in a sense. There's a good chance they'll be the first person somebody will see wearing your clothing. They're going to then associate this person with that brand. Do you want your brand to be associated with these guys:

or this guy:

This all depends on what you're selling. If you're selling "#JERSEYLYFE" shirts, the first choice is probably a better fit. If you're selling fingerless gloves, the bottom is probably better for you. If you're selling alternative baby raising solutions, you'll probably want to avoid both parties.

The human brain relies so heavy on perception it's amazing. Don't ignore this,

hot water

February 24, 2013 @ 04:37 AM
qrct1

aeterna13.com

February 24, 2013 @ 07:45 AM
BEENHUSTLINGNINEFOUR

He also paid for a new house for his mom in cash. Why would you not want to give your family the best life you can give them.
_________
Artistic integrity, as art student as that sounds, it's a battle between that and straight up business. 
_________
Streetwear is a bubble that is going to pop soon.
_________
Probably, but it was one hell of a ride, wasn't it?

Side note: are you still considering starting up a brand? Or have you moved onto designing sites?

hot water

February 24, 2013 @ 07:56 AM
Jake Ocean

what up peeps...

definitely agree with karakter on this. someone mentioned only, fuct, etc. keeps exclusivity? first of all, who gives 1 fuck. second of all, (like karakter said) look at the hypebeast online store. ONLY, Fuct, etc. are all on there - much higher end brands or "more respected" brands than what is on karmaloop. if anything, karmaloops contributes to the progression of streetwear. 

who cares.

http://www.distantlight.co

February 24, 2013 @ 01:56 PM
paperboyjim

You could've at least changed the background image...
February 24, 2013 @ 06:49 PM
Ian x illany

just a work in progress ive got, feedback is appreciated

ILLANY! ~ @illanewyork ~ www.illanewyork.tumblr.com/

February 24, 2013 @ 07:36 PM
qrct1

Let us introduce you to the thought process behind my t shirt.
We wanted to create the new box logo tee.
There has been an alarming rate of bold italics so we decided to go with the Watchmen font.
Aeterna means 'eternal' in the now dead language, Latin, and we liked the chime of irony in that.
So we chose that 7-letter word and added a new color to it.
The yellow background offers a striking contrast with the black lettering, akin to caution tape and hazard signs,
offering the similar street sign effect the red and white logos have due to its resemblance to stop signs.
Additionally, the screen print on the back says 'Voila, Scum' which is a middle finger to everyone behind you.
Our online shop has just opened.
You can purchase our new box logo tee at - http://aeternasf.com/
Thanks.

aeterna13.com

February 24, 2013 @ 07:44 PM
qrct1

lol ok

aeterna13.com

Please login first to reply.