Starting a New Line/Brand Feedback Thread

January 27, 2013 @ 01:48:28 AM
@happenclothing Do not spend any money on legal until you have something worth protecting (money wise) and also have the money to hire an attorney for a drawn out legal fight. Also, everything you design is automatically protected under IP (Intellectual Property Law).

Also, like others have said, you should set up the business correctly upfront (LLC, C Corp., S Corp.) because you might have to file all this back paperwork, taxes and filings for dates you've been in business. Whether you wait or not, keep good records.

Basically, I want to correct this statement from above...

"I have seen to many people get their logos copied or yet alone stolen by another company.

"

Either they had nothing to protect ("fair use") or they couldn't afford a lawyer.

Anywhere here's a decent link (I didn't real all of it..)
http://myows.com/blog/copyright-basics-for-graphic-designers-part-1/
Not necessarily on the stolen statement.
I actually said that because a incident recently happen where I had to inform a another company local to me that someone had taken their TM logo and just flat out copied it.

http://theartisticreation.com/2013/01/fakes-and-phonies/

It was actually a member who posted in here who tried to steal the logo and use it as a design.

Always protect your neck
I don't want to turn this into an IP forum but this is what I was talking about with fair use. I think everyone would agree the original idea came from Nintendo's Mario Kart. It's the difference between same and similar. This is why it's ok to do parodies and why everyone and their mom has a design with Mickey hands.

Also, this proves my point that the piece of paper did nothing to protect them. All you can really do write a cease and desist letter or sue them. But if the big brands can't stop knockoffs then how can you? Anyway, everything you design has copyright protection (don't waste money on paperwork and lawyers).

www.shillingfordco.com

January 27, 2013 @ 01:57:23 AM
@happenclothing Do not spend any money on legal until you have something worth protecting (money wise) and also have the money to hire an attorney for a drawn out legal fight. Also, everything you design is automatically protected under IP (Intellectual Property Law).

Also, like others have said, you should set up the business correctly upfront (LLC, C Corp., S Corp.) because you might have to file all this back paperwork, taxes and filings for dates you've been in business. Whether you wait or not, keep good records.

Basically, I want to correct this statement from above...

"I have seen to many people get their logos copied or yet alone stolen by another company.

"

Either they had nothing to protect ("fair use") or they couldn't afford a lawyer.

Anywhere here's a decent link (I didn't real all of it..)
http://myows.com/blog/copyright-basics-for-graphic-designers-part-1/
Not necessarily on the stolen statement.
I actually said that because a incident recently happen where I had to inform a another company local to me that someone had taken their TM logo and just flat out copied it.

http://theartisticreation.com/2013/01/fakes-and-phonies/

It was actually a member who posted in here who tried to steal the logo and use it as a design.

Always protect your neck
I don't want to turn this into an IP forum but this is what I was talking about with fair use. I think everyone would agree the original idea came from Nintendo's Mario Kart. It's the difference between same and similar. This is why it's ok to do parodies and why everyone and their mom has a design with Mickey hands.

Also, this proves my point that the piece of paper did nothing to protect them. All you can really do write a cease and desist letter or sue them. But if the big brands can't stop knockoffs then how can you? Anyway, everything you design has copyright protection (don't waste money on paperwork and lawyers).
Just to jump in this convo, it's always smart to register your artwork somewhere first, proves you did whatever it is first, at least. A good free site I know of is http://myfreecopyright.com/.

hot water

January 27, 2013 @ 03:11:27 AM
Yes registering your images, phrases and name does something. It allows you faster judgments in courts for higher penalties. But I'm guessing that most people on this forum couldn't afford the legal fees and the people that you'd be suing couldn't afford the fines.

www.shillingfordco.com

January 27, 2013 @ 04:00:19 AM
@kitelife dude. Your designs are terrible, I sincerely hope you're trolling. PLEASE don't spend any more money (if you have) on this project because I can fully tell you your brand will NEVER EVER go anywhere if you do those designs.

Find us at www.princessesandpresidents.com

January 27, 2013 @ 04:14:38 AM
I'm dying here
http://imgur.com/KqLPHfO

Find us at www.princessesandpresidents.com

January 27, 2013 @ 04:18:01 AM
(Invalid img)I'm dying here
Fixed image: 

hot water

January 27, 2013 @ 05:09:07 AM
there will always be haters. hater niggas will marry hater bitches and have hater children
#KITELIFECHOSEME

WTB: Supreme Vagina Tee White XL

January 27, 2013 @ 05:19:17 AM
(Invalid img)I'm dying here
Fixed image: 
Now, while the designs ARE atrocious, I don't really get what's so funny about this picture? The way he looks? Only thing I can think of. If that's the case, LOL at y'all too.
January 27, 2013 @ 06:08:00 AM

We are not like you.
Tenth Muse Branded Clothing 
January 27, 2013 @ 16:00:05 PM

KiteLifeCo. "It's Not Style, It's a LifeStyle!" Follow Us @kitelifeco www.kitelifeclothing.com

January 27, 2013 @ 16:12:03 PM

Instagram: set_store #stayset www.setstore.co.uk

January 27, 2013 @ 16:45:59 PM

KiteLifeCo. "It's Not Style, It's a LifeStyle!" Follow Us @kitelifeco www.kitelifeclothing.com

January 27, 2013 @ 16:46:34 PM

January 27, 2013 @ 16:54:42 PM
there will always be haters. hater niggas will marry hater bitches and have hater children
#KITELIFECHOSEME
I know it's cool. It would be better if haters gave useful feedback rather then just one sentenced opinion. If they know what they're doing and have so much to say why not drop gems right?Oh wait why help potential competition right?
...and i know  most people will reply "competition yeah right" or something alongs those lines. Then whats the excuse? 

...there's none.

It is what it is, they told Einstein he'd never amount to shit and he became one of the greatest minds in history.

Thanks for the support make sure to follow us and hit us up kitelifeco@gmail.com 
(sidenote: Plus a lot of people don't catch on to the term "KiteLife" right away i tend to have to explain it...although very simple lol. )

January 27, 2013 @ 17:00:57 PM

WTB: Supreme Vagina Tee White XL

January 27, 2013 @ 19:22:40 PM
http://kitelifeclothing.files.wordpress.com/2012/12/screen-shot-2013-01-20-at-9-37-00-pm.png?w=600

How is this a lifestyle? 
January 27, 2013 @ 20:16:56 PM
I know it's cool. It would be better if haters gave useful feedback rather then just one sentenced opinion.
ok how this for some useful feedback.
it looks like it was made in paint by a 12 year old. each design probably took about 10 minutes. it looks cheap and generic. i can't picture what type of person would ever actually wear this. only store that would carry this is dollar general.
January 27, 2013 @ 20:18:34 PM
January 27, 2013 @ 23:44:00 PM

Our main logo.

http://ddctd.us/

Thoughts on design, color, etc.?

lawx bohgo

January 28, 2013 @ 00:33:33 AM
#KITELIFECHOSEME
I know it's cool. It would be better if haters gave useful feedback rather then just one sentenced opinion. If they know what they're doing and have so much to say why not drop gems right?Oh wait why help potential competition right?
...and i know  most people will reply "competition yeah right" or something alongs those lines. Then whats the excuse? 

...there's none.

It is what it is, they told Einstein he'd never amount to shit and he became one of the greatest minds in history.

Thanks for the support make sure to follow us and hit us up kitelifeco@gmail.com 
(sidenote: Plus a lot of people don't catch on to the term "KiteLife" right away i tend to have to explain it...although very simple lol. )
Pretty sure dude wasn't being serious.

As for feedback, you should REALLY learn how to design, or be prepared to pay somebody to design for you. Whatever good idea you had at first is being ruined by the horrible design skills you have.

hot water

January 28, 2013 @ 00:50:52 AM

Wanted to do something with this font.

hot water

January 28, 2013 @ 01:33:24 AM
Never really seem to get any good responses to my designs, so I have to ask: where can I improve in your eyes? I'd like to do better, if you could just say what you didn't like about the design. Be as harsh as you want.

hot water

January 28, 2013 @ 01:36:10 AM

Our main logo.

http://ddctd.us/

Thoughts on design, color, etc.?
The box is unnecessary and the font is generic and too plain in my opinion.

Its a cool font but I think you will automatically get criticism of biting this tee
http://www.highsnobiety.com/2012/10/29/supreme-x-stax-records-t-shirt-capsule-collection/
5th picture

chadacadabra.tumblr.com

January 28, 2013 @ 02:11:08 AM
January 28, 2013 @ 02:16:51 AM

Its a cool font but I think you will automatically get criticism of biting this tee
http://www.highsnobiety.com/2012/10/29/supreme-x-stax-records-t-shirt-capsule-collection/
5th picture
Stussy used the font as well:

I figured the font was used by enough people it was fair game. I guess not?

hot water

January 28, 2013 @ 02:19:19 AM
Not sure how I feel about the writing, but still pretty cool.
What does the writing say?

hot water

January 28, 2013 @ 02:21:30 AM
Kite life please stop

G*O*N*E* ltd. coming soon

January 28, 2013 @ 02:33:08 AM
January 28, 2013 @ 04:54:16 AM
(Invalid img)
Preview of our Ash Black color and our Monk Sack straps. The outer part of the bag is a 100% organic dyed Korean Silk/Cotton blend. The color you see is made by mixing Korean persimmon fruit, charcoal, and burnt ash. The patterned texture on every yard of this fabric is different, making each individual Monk Sack completely unique.

Both straps are hand-knotted to create a beautiful bow and the entire bag will soften with continuous use and look better over time.

(Invalid img)
This is the inside of our Ash Black Weekender bag. You can see a small peek of how the Korean Silk/Cotton and the Natural leather colors and textures combine. Perfect for a weekend getaway.

For more info/previews check out our Facebook Page and Tumblr, Official Website coming soon!

ii-se.co Instagram: @iiseSEOUL Search "iise" on Facebook and like the page to support!

January 28, 2013 @ 05:48:37 AM
(Invalid img)
Preview of our Ash Black color and our Monk Sack straps. The outer part of the bag is a 100% organic dyed Korean Silk/Cotton blend. The color you see is made by mixing Korean persimmon fruit, charcoal, and burnt ash. The patterned texture on every yard of this fabric is different, making each individual Monk Sack completely unique.

Both straps are hand-knotted to create a beautiful bow and the entire bag will soften with continuous use and look better over time.

(Invalid img)
This is the inside of our Ash Black Weekender bag. You can see a small peek of how the Korean Silk/Cotton and the Natural leather colors and textures combine. Perfect for a weekend getaway.

For more info/previews check out our Facebook Page and Tumblr, Official Website coming soon!
Have you ever considered doing an economy backpack?

I'm liking all of your shit, but I can't drop a lot of money on a bag.

hot water

This topic is locked, replies are no longer accepted.
x