February 8, 2013 @ 11:08 PM
BEENHUSTLINGNINEFOUR

Anyone else think that posting pre production photos asking for advice downgrades a brands credit and image? Personally, I enjoy keeping almost every detail secret until the release.

To be honest, I would not buy from a single brand on here that has posted pre design templates. To me, it shows that they are not confident in their design aesthetic. Don't get me wrong, that is ok - but why not use the resources in your inner circle to assist you? A huge element of streetwear is the surprise aspect. Master it.
I post pre-preduction mockups to hopefully get hard, honest feedback. When I show stuff to my friends and family, I feel as if I get pity compliments on it. The public has no reason to do this to me, so I tend to post here first.

hot water

February 8, 2013 @ 11:08 PM
BEENHUSTLINGNINEFOUR

A or B?
E (all of the above)
you skipped D there, champ

hot water

February 8, 2013 @ 11:33 PM
Laurence of Arabia

How much could one expect to potentially earn from having their artwork licensed on tshirts ? This particular company supplies Urban Outfitters, Topman etc.

I was approached, but I'm totally clueless as to how to go about it. I havent signed the contract I was given yet but have been offered 10% for boutiques and 5% for none boutique gross sales.

How do I go about protecting myself ?

(I know this isnt strictly starting up a label, but its near confused

Thanks !
February 8, 2013 @ 11:48 PM
BEENHUSTLINGNINEFOUR

How much could one expect to potentially earn from having their artwork licensed on tshirts ? This particular company supplies Urban Outfitters, Topman etc.

I was approached, but I'm totally clueless as to how to go about it. I havent signed the contract I was given yet but have been offered 10% for boutiques and 5% for none boutique gross sales.

How do I go about protecting myself ?

(I know this isnt strictly starting up a label, but its near

Thanks !
I don't really think we can help you here, although sites like Mintees and Deviantart might be able to.

hot water

February 9, 2013 @ 12:03 AM
Laurence of Arabia

@beenhustlingninefour Thanks man !
February 9, 2013 @ 12:50 AM
blueowljml

there's better places to make your site. try places like shopify, bigcommerce, woocommerce
Thanks, ill definitely give them a look! Just tryin to figure out which is best
February 9, 2013 @ 01:15 AM
northwestgear

Hey guys, I recently joined to see if I could get some feedback on my company. Not looking to go into depth on the meanings of designs, as that is not what this is about. Just want to let you know that we are based out of the Northwest and our designs are based around the Northwest. We just had our first "official" release yesterday, so any feedback is appreciated.

Just wanted to show you guys a couple pictures, as I dont want to spam this thread. What do you guys think about presentation, design quality, etc. I know that the designs don't appeal to a wide market, but my niche is the northwest, so that's what we're aiming at.

Here is the site
http://www.northwest-gear.com

Thanks if you reply!

Does anyone have any ins on getting online exposure? As stated in my last post, I understand that my clothing isn't widely accepted as the demographic I have chosen is a direct representation of the Northwest, but I was hoping that someone would be able to maybe bounce some ideas off of me with some good marketing strategies. What would be a good way to reach people that wear streetwear/urban wear? I have contact a couple fashion blogs, but I'm sure getting a feature would be a long shot.

Also, does anyone have experience in starting up a skate/bmx/snow team?

I run a clothing company entitled Northwest Gear Clothing Co. http://www.northwest-gear.com

February 9, 2013 @ 03:01 AM
HWYS - Joey

Northwest Gear --
Regarding exposure and marketing, I will say start small and let the consumer push the product for you. By this I mean, sell your products locally and make each and every transaction a great one for your customer. By having them realize how good of a product/costumer service you have, this will make them promote the brand.

As far as looking into bmx/skateboard teams/promos- go to your local skate park and talk to people. Find out who the best guy on the skatepark is, there is always one and sponsor him/her. Give him some free gear/stickers and have 'em wear the stuff when the park is the busiest. Take pics and post them up and have him do the same.

Good luck!

www.highwaysco.us -- for some fucking reason, you must use the www. idk why fml.

February 9, 2013 @ 03:08 AM
ctkim

Anyone else think that posting pre production photos asking for advice downgrades a brands credit and image? Personally, I enjoy keeping almost every detail secret until the release.

To be honest, I would not buy from a single brand on here that has posted pre design templates. To me, it shows that they are not confident in their design aesthetic. Don't get me wrong, that is ok - but why not use the resources in your inner circle to assist you? A huge element of streetwear is the surprise aspect. Master it.
I post pre-preduction mockups to hopefully get hard, honest feedback. When I show stuff to my friends and family, I feel as if I get pity compliments on it. The public has no reason to do this to me, so I tend to post here first.
100% agree. no one wants to spend hours and lots of money printing shirts only to have no one buy any of them. i think getting feedback on pre-production mocks is really important

http://crispincooler.tumblr.com

February 9, 2013 @ 03:17 AM
newcitizen

MARCH RELEASE

Travel Good. Live Most.

February 9, 2013 @ 03:39 AM
newcitizen

MARCH RELEASE

Travel Good. Live Most.

February 9, 2013 @ 04:22 AM
HWYS - Joey

Reminds me of YSL...

www.highwaysco.us -- for some fucking reason, you must use the www. idk why fml.

February 9, 2013 @ 04:51 AM
qrct1

reminds me of gayness

aeterna13.com

February 9, 2013 @ 04:52 AM
jaemz

leath
100 %leather patterned fabric used for entire design.
I'll be honest, the designs are childish and so is the name/brand. Just think of the top brands out there and compare yours to theirs. What do you see?

I know you are trying and I give you that, but you should rethink your approach. Also what program are you using for your designs?
i use a combination of photoshop and illustrator. The name is specifically for the target audience (smokers). I'd perfer just "kite life" but was approached by someone that that is the name of a registered business, so i figured i had to alter it and slapped co on there but was contemplating "Kite Life-Style"...but ehhh....idk As far as the designs go i see simplicity to be most common. 
i find the words "total shit" to be more accurate if we're describing your designs
February 9, 2013 @ 05:22 AM
plastisol

to kitelifeco, bro you can't be serious, I really hope you are not spending your hard earned money or maxing out your credit cards to launch your "company"

most of the brands on here seem recycled with the logos, about me "oh my brand is a lifestyle, blah blah blah so buy my expensive overpriced shirt" and the photography(model holding snapback bill with one hand while looking down type shit), the funny part is that almost all of you are trying to start like if you guys been established and in the game for years, trying to make make a living off this, selling tshirts for $25+, hoodies for $50+ for an unknown brand? lol. If I were you guys I would start it for fun, sell the t-shirts at the cost, fk it $5 dollar tees, you guys will have more success by doing that! 
February 9, 2013 @ 05:44 AM
plastisol

Well you guys wanted to be know it all's last time i posted but i'm posting this for the hell of it cause well we're good with or without hypebeast, but it's always interesting to see others opinions. Thanks, and keep working everyone. 

http://www.nobodyspecialco.com/
lol Can't take the photos serious with that dude rockin those tights/shorts/boot combo
February 9, 2013 @ 06:03 AM
hkeys

Hey guys, I recently joined to see if I could get some feedback on my company. Not looking to go into depth on the meanings of designs, as that is not what this is about. Just want to let you know that we are based out of the Northwest and our designs are based around the Northwest. We just had our first "official" release yesterday, so any feedback is appreciated.

Just wanted to show you guys a couple pictures, as I dont want to spam this thread. What do you guys think about presentation, design quality, etc. I know that the designs don't appeal to a wide market, but my niche is the northwest, so that's what we're aiming at.

Here is the site
http://www.northwest-gear.com

Thanks if you reply!

Does anyone have any ins on getting online exposure? As stated in my last post, I understand that my clothing isn't widely accepted as the demographic I have chosen is a direct representation of the Northwest, but I was hoping that someone would be able to maybe bounce some ideas off of me with some good marketing strategies. What would be a good way to reach people that wear streetwear/urban wear? I have contact a couple fashion blogs, but I'm sure getting a feature would be a long shot.

Use of all your social networking at hand. Have a facebook, twitter, tumblr, instagram. Marketing is the hardest part of owning any business and getting your brand or company out to the public. It takes time and hard work. Unless you somehow have some crazy connections that you can use but very few brands have those and only get them after being around for a while. For me, I don't know how the hell to gain followers or real exposure on Twitter, but Instagram is very easy. You can easily target your market and get almost immediate interactions. It's been one of our most efficient ways of selling our clothes. Not to being able to connect with people overseas too. Take great photos and compose good lookbooks so you can have them featured on fashion blogs and websites. As far as building teams for skating/bmx or whatever. Pick one that you feel will represent your brand the best of the one that you are most familiar with. I've been skating for a long time now and know a lot of really really good skaters here in Tampa. Skate Park of Tampa breeds the illest. We don't have a "skate" team or anything only because we haven't ventured into it, but we do have the support from the skaters in the community which helps. You can't expect to blow up in a matter of months unless the quality and uniqueness is there. Hope this helps man. 

http://thedividedminds.com/

February 9, 2013 @ 06:07 AM
hkeys

This is true, I think if you've been doing it for a while and have your die hard followers as long as you're progressing and following similar themes in your products and designs the sales will be there. It's trial and error in the beginning until you find your niche of customers and you know what will and won't sell. 

February 9, 2013 @ 06:15 AM
hkeys

One of the things not too many people bring up in here is how they ship out there products and talk to their customers. I would suggest using your own mailing supplies and having a simple kitchen scale. That way when orders come in you can weigh them and print out the shipping label provided, let's say for example on PayPal. Usually do first class which is 2-5 days and ship out the day the order comes in, if early enough or the next day. I hate waiting in line at the post office, dropping them off is so much easier. With an email for the order confirmation then the tracking number sent from PayPal. Always send out a sticker or two which each order and nice little note thanking them for their support. It's the little things like that, that I've found people really enjoy. Plus, I always like getting stickers or something extra from things I buy online. I'm almost bummed when I don't ha. Also, responding to every email in a timely manner and having great customer service can go a long way. How do you guys go about doing these things? 

February 9, 2013 @ 06:22 AM
plastisol

One of the things not too many people bring up in here is how they ship out there products and talk to their customers. I would suggest using your own mailing supplies and having a simple kitchen scale. That way when orders come in you can weigh them and print out the shipping label provided, let's say for example on PayPal. Usually do first class which is 2-5 days and ship out the day the order comes in, if early enough or the next day. I hate waiting in line at the post office, dropping them off is so much easier. With an email for the order confirmation then the tracking number sent from PayPal. Always send out a sticker or two which each order and nice little note thanking them for their support. It's the little things like that, that I've found people really enjoy. Plus, I always like getting stickers or something extra from things I buy online. I'm almost bummed when I don't ha. Also, responding to every email in a timely manner and having great customer service can go a long way. How do you guys go about doing these things? 
Shipping from USPS.com or PAYPAL is the way to go. You get free delivery confirmation and a discounted rate. I would always wait in line at the post office and used to hate it, until I discovered how easy it was to print labels online.
February 9, 2013 @ 07:37 AM
northwestgear

Northwest Gear --

Regarding exposure and marketing, I will say start small and let the consumer push the product for you. By this I mean, sell your products locally and make each and every transaction a great one for your customer. By having them realize how good of a product/costumer service you have, this will make them promote the brand.

As far as looking into bmx/skateboard teams/promos- go to your local skate park and talk to people. Find out who the best guy on the skatepark is, there is always one and sponsor him/her. Give him some free gear/stickers and have 'em wear the stuff when the park is the busiest. Take pics and post them up and have him do the same.

Good luck!
Thanks for the tips man. I have started to realize that word of mouth is getting me all my business so far, haha. 

Thanks again and good looking out. 

I run a clothing company entitled Northwest Gear Clothing Co. http://www.northwest-gear.com

February 9, 2013 @ 07:40 AM
northwestgear

Use of all your social networking at hand. Have a facebook, twitter, tumblr, instagram. Marketing is the hardest part of owning any business and getting your brand or company out to the public. It takes time and hard work. Unless you somehow have some crazy connections that you can use but very few brands have those and only get them after being around for a while. For me, I don't know how the hell to gain followers or real exposure on Twitter, but Instagram is very easy. You can easily target your market and get almost immediate interactions. It's been one of our most efficient ways of selling our clothes. Not to being able to connect with people overseas too. Take great photos and compose good lookbooks so you can have them featured on fashion blogs and websites. As far as building teams for skating/bmx or whatever. Pick one that you feel will represent your brand the best of the one that you are most familiar with. I've been skating for a long time now and know a lot of really really good skaters here in Tampa. Skate Park of Tampa breeds the illest. We don't have a "skate" team or anything only because we haven't ventured into it, but we do have the support from the skaters in the community which helps. You can't expect to blow up in a matter of months unless the quality and uniqueness is there. Hope this helps man. 

Awesome advice. Thank you to you as well. I see how easy it is to use Instagram because once you get your niche on the hashtages, exposure rolls in. It's just getting them from instagram, to the website is what has become one of my harder tasks. Thanks again for the help man, appreciate it. 

February 9, 2013 @ 07:42 AM
kitelifeco

to kitelifeco, bro you can't be serious, I really hope you are not spending your hard earned money or maxing out your credit cards to launch your "company"

most of the brands on here seem recycled with the logos, about me "oh my brand is a lifestyle, blah blah blah so buy my expensive overpriced shirt" and the photography(model holding snapback bill with one hand while looking down type shit), the funny part is that almost all of you are trying to start like if you guys been established and in the game for years, trying to make make a living off this, selling tshirts for $25+, hoodies for $50+ for an unknown brand? lol. If I were you guys I would start it for fun, sell the t-shirts at the cost, fk it $5 dollar tees, you guys will have more success by doing that! 

KiteLifeCo. "It's Not Style, It's a LifeStyle!" Follow Us @kitelifeco www.kitelifeclothing.com

February 9, 2013 @ 07:45 AM
kitelifeco

to kitelifeco, bro you can't be serious, I really hope you are not spending your hard earned money or maxing out your credit
cards to launch your "company"

It's not a "company" just a brand... I don't think anyone could sell a $5 shirt it would be more of a gift cause the shirt itself is like $7-$10 but i dont see $20-$25 as bad considering anything under $20 is labeled "cheap" and who wants to feel undervalued. I'm in agreement and it's all in fun for me but i want to improve and work at it till is becomes paying fun. I only spend $$ on fabrics for my own shirts which are all cut & sew since  most of what's seen on here is ink on shirts and i realized that I want my brand to be more then that. I think those type of prices would be seen as suitable or more fair if its more then just cotton with ink on it; things like lamb skin, snake skin, silk, lycra/wool  etc.

KiteLifeCo. "It's Not Style, It's a LifeStyle!" Follow Us @kitelifeco www.kitelifeclothing.com

February 9, 2013 @ 08:34 AM
ctkim

to kitelifeco, bro you can't be serious, I really hope you are not spending your hard earned money or maxing out your credit

It's not a "company" just a brand... I don't think anyone could sell a $5 shirt it would be more of a gift cause the shirt itself is like $7-$10 but i dont see $20-$25 as bad considering anything under $20 is labeled "cheap" and who wants to feel undervalued. I'm in agreement and it's all in fun for me but i want to improve and work at it till is becomes paying fun. I only spend $$ on fabrics for my own shirts which are all cut & sew since  most of what's seen on here is ink on shirts and i realized that I want my brand to be more then that. I think those type of prices would be seen as suitable or more fair if its more then just cotton with ink on it; things like lamb skin, snake skin, silk, lycra/wool  etc.
u must have some tough skin to get bashed on your designs everyday and keep coming back for more. maybe you should try posting your designs on another forum like a weed forum and see what they have to say.

http://crispincooler.tumblr.com

February 9, 2013 @ 09:04 AM
hkeys

Awesome advice. Thank you to you as well. I see how easy it is to use Instagram because once you get your niche on the hashtages, exposure rolls in. It's just getting them from instagram, to the website is what has become one of my harder tasks. Thanks again for the help man, appreciate it. 
Can't really give you any advice on getting people to view your site, it's going to just come with more exposure, progression, and time. There are ways to track and see how people are getting to your site and even how many views you had for that day and views for your products. 

February 9, 2013 @ 10:00 AM
kitelifeco

u must have some tough skin to get bashed on your designs everyday and keep coming back for more. maybe you should try posting your designs on another forum like a weed forum and see what they have to say.
yeah in my line of work (audio engineering) opinions and bashing is an everyday thing. cause it can always be better, in my opinion. I have done so but i haven't found as highly an active forum as this. I'm still searching for the right places to promote to reach my target market. none the less i'm going to keep post and working on it till i finally "get it right".

February 9, 2013 @ 11:39 AM
Frank_

I have gone back a couple pages to see what this thread has become and a lot of you guys need some help...

1st presentation.... Stop posting mockups on those dingy look shirts...... And in your look book don't wear another brands clothing..

For instance some dude posted hats but had on a diamond shirt that made me forget about your hats and think diamond supply...

And some dude posted a lookbook... That just looked like a Pyrex ripoff.... Had the overly gothic font... And styling was horrible and fitting was off.. Dude looked like he was 35 year old teacher but I'm suppose to believe you wear tights with your timbs? And he had Pyrex shorts on also...

Then it's also not the best idea to post your clothing in this thread because of google... If you post enough and somebody googles your brand name this thread will pop up... Which to me If I'm a customer would take away from the brand since I can see you asking other people for help and what they think...

And somebody asked abou exposure.... At first I thought if its good everybody will just flock to it .... NO THAT IS A LIE..... Just because you have a cool shirt does not mean everybody will like it and come ready to spend money... People have to see the product a lot!!!

Take your self out of the normal 17-21 year old mind for a second.... When you were a kid you wanted Pokemon because why? It was everywhere...

But also with street ware people like to keep it limited so 1 way is to have it everywhere but have it so nobody can get it... May sound stupid but it has worked for mostly every rand you lookup to..

I read bale started out with 25 ts gave 20 away and sold 5.... People saw other people with it wanted it but it was always sold out and that created a demand...

The dude who made fubu started with like 3 shirts and would ask a rapper to take a picture in it then ask for the shirt back....

Rappers in Clothing kids eat it up which creates a demand....

It's about creating a demand for the product don't over do your goals ...

Think smart.....

What happen to Angelo? And does aldente(Eric) even post anymore? Hahah looks like all the good guys left before the storm
February 9, 2013 @ 01:44 PM
kevinzoolander

February 9, 2013 @ 02:40 PM
HWYS - Joey

xDUNG hit the nail on the spot... Read his post and read it again. Then do as he says.

Please login first to reply.