So I've got a few questions and I appreciate any feedback or answers to any of them...
I'm fairly new to this whole process but I've definitely done my fair share of "homework" when it comes to starting a brand and making sure I do it correctly. There are just a few things I haven't found appropriate answers to...
1. Do most of you guys get your shirts right through the person or place screenprinting/embroidering your logo onto them (assuming you aren't going to be doing that yourself) or would you sign up for a site such as alstyle, gildan, anvil, etc. and set up an account and go about it that way? or just keep a look out for a solid manufacturer?
2. Does anyone have a resale number? I know that it's a good idea to register your business and get the retail sales certificate and eventually get the resale number but is that something that necessarily needs to be done right away? (yes, I will be selling my product on the internet)
3. With so much competition in this industry (and on these forums) I know that asking someone who they use as a manufacturer is pretty outlandish because that information is very valuable, but do you use multiple manufacturers (i.e one place for shirts, one place for silk tags, one place for beanies, etc.) or should I be looking for a place that does all of the above (if that even exists)?
I apologize if any of these questions have already been answered or previously addressed... I have tried searching but just haven't had much luck with these issues... Any help is appreciated... thanks guys.
These are pretty legit questions.
1 and 2 kind of go together. But I'll answer them separately but the second one first.
2. (This might be state specific) Reseller license means no sales tax on anything you're purchasing with the intent to resell it. I know in Washington, this only works if you don't have a physical location (I could be wrong about that). Depending on your state (I'm assuming you're in the states) this is something worth getting. I'd go online to find out more, Washington's Dept. of Revenue is good for answering questions.
1. You can your tees from a screen printer but there will be a markup. I'm pretty sure most screen printers markup their supply of tees. Unless, for someone reason, when you work the numbers that a middleman makes sense then don't worry about it. But, like in most cases, you should remove the middleman and setup an account with Allstyle or whoever. Some/most suppliers want a reseller number, that's why I answered the second question first. Stores and a few print shops might want a reseller number too (especially when you are doing volume).
3. Personally, I would look at who does the best in what we need to get done (with in your budget). I'd be very surprised if one brand who offers more than tees and fleece used one source for everything. We use American Apparel for the majority of our stuff. We want the Made in USA label but we'd never use them hats (and I'm not a fan of their beanies either) for example. Talking to most people, they use one source for tees, one for fleece and another hats and so on. As far as I understand, the only place to do one stop manufacturing is in China. Over there, from what I've been told, everything from start to finish is under one roof (if you can find the right place).
My best recommendation is to find a good print shop you trust and they can lead you in the right direction.