Get an Extra 20% Off Sale Items - Use code: EXTRA20
December 12, 2012 @ 11:31 PM
glassarmy

Would you recommend buying t-shirts from somewhere like Delta Apparel to print on, or get your own t-shirts manufactured? I'm leaning towards manufacturing my own, but I don't know where to go to. Any suggestions?  
December 12, 2012 @ 11:35 PM
ryder

Would you recommend buying t-shirts from somewhere like Delta Apparel to print on, or get your own t-shirts manufactured? I'm leaning towards manufacturing my own, but I don't know where to go to. Any suggestions?  
I wouldnt waste time trying to get custom shirts made. Trying to maintain quality control on those would be almost impossible. You would get cheap fabric most likely and you'd have to spend time/money doing tests on shrinking etc to make sure they didn't shrink all crazy. Even large companies use blanks sometimes. Alstyle is my preferred choice. 1301s if you want cheap, chalky shirts. 5301s if you want good quality. 

edmflavor.com

December 12, 2012 @ 11:41 PM
wcfrontrvnners

Our newest drop, sold out pretty fast only have a few big sizes left.

WCFRVS.COM INSTAGRAM & TWITTER: WCFRONTRVNNERS ; JJFRNTRVNNERS

December 13, 2012 @ 12:34 AM
flyathanaverage

..A
AAAA
AAA
AA
December 13, 2012 @ 01:19 AM
shillco

I'd follow @ryder advice and just buy blanks. But to answer your question, American Apparel offers private label/ custom manufacturing and I'm sure you'll find others too.

www.shillingfordco.com

December 13, 2012 @ 01:30 AM
Jake Ocean

New beanies in store and on Fab.com
http://fab.com/sale/14527/

http://www.distantlight.co

December 13, 2012 @ 03:07 AM
aightyo

So I've got a few questions and I appreciate any feedback or answers to any of them...

I'm fairly new to this whole process but I've definitely done my fair share of "homework" when it comes to starting a brand and making sure I do it correctly.  There are just a few things I haven't found appropriate answers to...

1.  Do most of you guys get your shirts right through the person or place screenprinting/embroidering your logo onto them (assuming you aren't going to be doing that yourself) or would you sign up for a site such as alstyle, gildan, anvil, etc. and set up an account and go about it that way?  or just keep a look out for a solid manufacturer?

2.  Does anyone have a resale number?  I know that it's a good idea to register your business and get the retail sales certificate and eventually get the resale number but is that something that necessarily needs to be done right away?  (yes, I will be selling my product on the internet)

3.  With so much competition in this industry (and on these forums) I know that asking someone who they use as a manufacturer is pretty outlandish because that information is very valuable, but do you use multiple manufacturers (i.e one place for shirts, one place for silk tags, one place for beanies, etc.)  or should I be looking for a place that does all of the above (if that even exists)?

I apologize if any of these questions have already been answered or previously addressed... I have tried searching but just haven't had much luck with these issues... Any help is appreciated... thanks guys.

www.aightyo.com // insta: aightyo // twitter: aightyo

December 13, 2012 @ 03:30 AM
shillco

So I've got a few questions and I appreciate any feedback or answers to any of them...

I'm fairly new to this whole process but I've definitely done my fair share of "homework" when it comes to starting a brand and making sure I do it correctly.  There are just a few things I haven't found appropriate answers to...

1.  Do most of you guys get your shirts right through the person or place screenprinting/embroidering your logo onto them (assuming you aren't going to be doing that yourself) or would you sign up for a site such as alstyle, gildan, anvil, etc. and set up an account and go about it that way?  or just keep a look out for a solid manufacturer?

2.  Does anyone have a resale number?  I know that it's a good idea to register your business and get the retail sales certificate and eventually get the resale number but is that something that necessarily needs to be done right away?  (yes, I will be selling my product on the internet)

3.  With so much competition in this industry (and on these forums) I know that asking someone who they use as a manufacturer is pretty outlandish because that information is very valuable, but do you use multiple manufacturers (i.e one place for shirts, one place for silk tags, one place for beanies, etc.)  or should I be looking for a place that does all of the above (if that even exists)?

I apologize if any of these questions have already been answered or previously addressed... I have tried searching but just haven't had much luck with these issues... Any help is appreciated... thanks guys.
These are pretty legit questions.

1 and 2 kind of go together. But I'll answer them separately but the second one first.

2. (This might be state specific) Reseller license means no sales tax on anything you're purchasing with the intent to resell it. I know in Washington, this only works if you don't have a physical location (I could be wrong about that). Depending on your state (I'm assuming you're in the states) this is something worth getting. I'd go online to find out more, Washington's Dept. of Revenue is good for answering questions.

1. You can your tees from a screen printer but there will be a markup. I'm pretty sure most screen printers markup their supply of tees. Unless, for someone reason, when you work the numbers that a middleman makes sense then don't worry about it. But, like in most cases, you should remove the middleman and setup an account with Allstyle or whoever. Some/most suppliers want a reseller number, that's why I answered the second question first. Stores and a few print shops might want a reseller number too (especially when you are doing volume).

3. Personally, I would look at who does the best in what we need to get done (with in your budget). I'd be very surprised if one brand who offers more than tees and fleece used one source for everything. We use American Apparel for the majority of our stuff. We want the Made in USA label but we'd never use them hats (and I'm not a fan of their beanies either) for example. Talking to most people, they use one source for tees, one for fleece and another hats and so on. As far as I understand, the only place to do one stop manufacturing is in China. Over there, from what I've been told, everything from start to finish is under one roof (if you can find the right place).

My best recommendation is to find a good print shop you trust and they can lead you in the right direction.

Good luck.

www.shillingfordco.com

December 13, 2012 @ 03:37 AM
aightyo

@shillco thanks man i really appreciate it... and yeah i've looked into the reseller license, i just wasn't sure if people had found a way around it (to save money on the fees) or if i was better off just sucking it up and paying for it right off the bat and I seem to have found my answer... Thanks again for helping me out homie!

December 13, 2012 @ 05:17 AM
garyoak

nevermind I'm thinking of 12 oz prophet, my bad honest mistake!
December 13, 2012 @ 05:06 PM
bricktop

Our newest drop, sold out pretty fast only have a few big sizes left.

Feeling this shirt a lot, but i'll be honest - not feeling your logo at all. Not talking about the arm bit, but the whole thing in general, something about the way the bit of the R sits on the F. I know you are trying to get some small recognisable branding on the shirt but I would have bought it if it weren't for the logo

www.grubbymits.co.uk | Affordable vintage & streetwear

December 13, 2012 @ 05:06 PM
bricktop

EDIT: accidental double post

www.grubbymits.co.uk | Affordable vintage & streetwear

December 13, 2012 @ 06:32 PM
ryder

1. If you buy shirts from a printer you are paying a higher price because you have added a middle man. Cut that middle man out and go straight to a wholesaler or distributer. You can usually find one local if you live in a big city.

2. Don't waste your time with any of that legal stuff when you start out. Spend ALL your money on things that will generate you profit. Don't waste tons of money on stickers and buttons and that stuff. It doesn't help sell shirts as much as you'd think. You'll end up needing CA numbers and GST numbers and Resale numbers down the road, but no need to bother with them at the start.

3. Don't ever base your business off of another business. Thats a plan destined to fail. Have multiple places to get blanks. Have multiple screen printers. Atleast one of them being local that you have physically checked out. Get samples made from as many factories as you can afford. Go with the one that has the best quality and best communication. Paying a premium for high quality goods and a factory with good communications skills will go a long way. (Ex. I have 4 wholesale/distributers for blanks/garments. I have 2 local screen shops and 2 online. I get snapbacks done from one place and i have another decent factory on backup. And 3 junk hat factories on file. I have 3 Cut & sew factories on file that range from 50pc - 200pc mins) 

Always have a back up plan for everything man. Shit will hit the fan i can promise you that. Welcome to the game, its a tough one and remember their is always someone out their grinding harder than you are so stay on top of your game.

edmflavor.com

December 13, 2012 @ 10:33 PM
onlytheflyest

Hey guys where can I find good t-shirt , hoodie , crew neck sweater templates? 
December 13, 2012 @ 11:34 PM
aightyo

@ryder thanks very much my man, I appreciate the input.  Only thing that had me leaning towards getting the resale number sooner than later was that a lot of the manufacturers I have come across seem to require one.  For now, I guess I will have to just keep searching and put those on the back burner.

December 13, 2012 @ 11:56 PM
Broken Bank Clo

2. Don't waste your time with any of that legal stuff when you start out. Spend ALL your money on things that will generate you profit. Don't waste tons of money on stickers and buttons and that stuff. It doesn't help sell shirts as much as you'd think. You'll end up needing CA numbers and GST numbers and Resale numbers down the road, but no need to bother with them at the start.

Always have a back up plan for everything man. Shit will hit the fan i can promise you that. Welcome to the game, its a tough one and remember their is always someone out their grinding harder than you are so stay on top of your game.

I get everything else and I myself also have more then one printer but the thing I wanted to question was the whole sticker thing.
I thought stickers and buttons were going for advertising. Reason I ask is because I have been having some trouble advertising and marketing as it only being myself running the whole show it's difficult for me to get out there to all the places I want. Sales have been kind of slow because of that but why are stickers not such a good idea? Or is that not a specific thing to each brand.

oh and just to add. I wouldn't even bothing with registering with Alstyle unless you are printing by the hundred on each print. They don't evn fuck with little companies and they are difficult as hell just to contact to send over you resale info. I just buy from shops around my area and the prices are fairly matched with what AAA has listed on their site anyway. Save yourself the shipping and find a local spot to buy in bulk from.

Broken Bank Clothing *** www.BrokenBankClothing.com *** @brokenbankclo

December 14, 2012 @ 02:01 AM
youthstreetwear

FCK YO CHRISTMAS! HAPPY HOLIDAYS FROM YOUTHSTREETWEAR.US
FALL/WINTER COLLECTION WILL BE RELEASED 12.22.12
December 14, 2012 @ 02:11 AM
wcfrontrvnners

@bricktop I appreciate your opinion fam. Our logo is definitely a hit or miss when it comes to likability, I'll stick to our initials next time if we get anymore dislikes. Glad you like the design though. Here's some pictures I shot today of our tee in our hometown.

WCFRVS.COM INSTAGRAM & TWITTER: WCFRONTRVNNERS ; JJFRNTRVNNERS

December 14, 2012 @ 04:30 AM
ryder

I get everything else and I myself also have more then one printer but the thing I wanted to question was the whole sticker thing.
I thought stickers and buttons were going for advertising. Reason I ask is because I have been having some trouble advertising and marketing as it only being myself running the whole show it's difficult for me to get out there to all the places I want. Sales have been kind of slow because of that but why are stickers not such a good idea? Or is that not a specific thing to each brand.

oh and just to add. I wouldn't even bothing with registering with Alstyle unless you are printing by the hundred on each print. They don't evn fuck with little companies and they are difficult as hell just to contact to send over you resale info. I just buy from shops around my area and the prices are fairly matched with what AAA has listed on their site anyway. Save yourself the shipping and find a local spot to buy in bulk from

How many fb likes do you have? Twitter? Instagram? Pinterest? How often are you blogging about others to get cross promotion? How often are you going out to events and meeting people? Stickers are not a marketing tool. They are a lazy ass cop out if you ask me. Stickers don't sell shirts. People sell shirts. 

I spend $120 max on stickers and i can get them to last 2 releases (6 months). Stickers are maybe.. ~3% of my budget for a line. I use my stickers for 2 things:

1. To help close deals and lure people into checking out clothes at my booths. Everyone loves free stickers. 

2. I also put stickers in with every order from my online sales just as a little thank you. The key with good marketing is being able to track what does and doesn't work. This is very very hard with stickers and as far as i know a sticker has never made me a sale. 

Going to events, having a large following, doing people favours, talking to old friends etc.. - its that type of stuff that makes sales for me. You will never build a successful company in this game from sitting at a computer and always designing

edit: sorry the spacing is all fucked up the forum wont let me change it 

edmflavor.com

December 14, 2012 @ 04:31 AM
ryder

Sorry double post. this forum is being wack for me and not loading shit or posting.

edmflavor.com

December 14, 2012 @ 04:43 AM
Frank_

my bad*******
December 14, 2012 @ 04:43 AM
Frank_

tripple post 
December 14, 2012 @ 04:44 AM
Frank_

shop.theundg.net
December 14, 2012 @ 05:02 AM

December 14, 2012 @ 05:15 AM
hkeys

@aightyo These are actually the 3 best questions I have ever read in this thread. As far as having a resale license goes, like stated above, I wouldn't rush into it. Only because they're more legal aspects behind it. We have one here in FL and we have to file quarterly taxes which can be a pain. Also, I think (don't quote me on this) you have to be a registered business entity to have the certificate too. It's rad though and helps save a little bit of money when it comes to blanks, screen printing, and other expenses. @vega_box you must not have tried to get an account with Alstyle it was extremely easy. As far as contacting goes they are good too, we only have to deal with our sales rep. @ryder that's how I go about handling our orders. I throw in a couple stickers and a hand written note on the bottom of the packing slip. I honestly hate when I cop something online and don't get stickers, especially from other brands I really like. 

http://thedividedminds.com/

December 14, 2012 @ 07:41 AM
mikeykari

Originally wasn't going to post after reading some of the feedback comments on some brands that others are just starting out on and looking for constructive criticism to improve. But I realized if you love what you do and believe in your brand and your future plans in improving and taking your brand to where you see it being then it doesn't matter. 

With that mentality we decided to start Hari Kari to inspire others to just put an end to all of the personal doubts they have in their minds and to just ultimately achieve their goals and aspirations. Because the only person stopping you from doing what you want to do in life is you.  

We've been in the planning process for over a year and recently released our brand about less than 6 months ago. I know we have a lot to work on still but we make clothes we like to wear and if we can just inspire one kid with our message to take the chance on their dream then that's all we've ever really wanted from this brand.

These photos are from our very first line this summer. A lot more goodies for next year including cut n sew, beanies, and a lot more attention to overall details. Winter Drop Part 1 on the way also.

Mockups of Part 1 of our Winter Drop. If you haven't gotten the hint yet we love the Japanese and samurai culture and that's what our brand's based around. We're also pretty big anime nerds so we decided to pay tribute to one of our favorite shows growing up and made our own versions. (Everyone who watched the show knew they really wished Gundams were real lol).

If you like what you see and want to follow us through this journey go ahead and follow our blog at: www.liveharikari.com or if your on the book of faces hit us up at: www.facebook.com/liveharikari 

Best of wishes on every ones future endeavors on bettering themselves. 

Live your passion. Create your dream. Fight for what you believe in. www.liveharikari.com

December 14, 2012 @ 07:43 AM
Broken Bank Clo

oh and just to add. I wouldn't even bothing with registering with Alstyle unless you are printing by the hundred on each print. They don't evn fuck with little companies and they are difficult as hell just to contact to send over you resale info. I just buy from shops around my area and the prices are fairly matched with what AAA has listed on their site anyway. Save yourself the shipping and find a local spot to buy in bulk from

How many fb likes do you have? Twitter? Instagram? Pinterest? How often are you blogging about others to get cross promotion? How often are you going out to events and meeting people? Stickers are not a marketing tool. They are a lazy ass cop out if you ask me. Stickers don't sell shirts. People sell shirts. 

I spend $120 max on stickers and i can get them to last 2 releases (6 months). Stickers are maybe.. ~3% of my budget for a line. I use my stickers for 2 things:

1. To help close deals and lure people into checking out clothes at my booths. Everyone loves free stickers. 

2. I also put stickers in with every order from my online sales just as a little thank you. The key with good marketing is being able to track what does and doesn't work. This is very very hard with stickers and as far as i know a sticker has never made me a sale. 

Going to events, having a large following, doing people favours, talking to old friends etc.. - its that type of stuff that makes sales for me. You will never build a successful company in this game from sitting at a computer and always designing

edit: sorry the spacing is all fucked up the forum wont let me change it 
alright.
I feel you on that. Sucks cause sitting behind a computer is all I have been doing as of lately. And trying to depend on other people.

Broken Bank Clothing *** www.BrokenBankClothing.com *** @brokenbankclo

December 14, 2012 @ 10:33 AM
Frank_

With alstyle it was easy to get an account like real easy
December 14, 2012 @ 02:07 PM
touchdowntodd

these last 2 pages are the best thing to EVER happen on this thread .... thank you to all posters ... very helpfull

fukasignature.com ... glad we have these back tho

December 14, 2012 @ 04:42 PM
thejetlife

Working on New brand now will post details soon

Please login first to reply.