SALE - Up to 70% Off - Shop Now
November 19, 2012 @ 03:31 PM
princeandprez

I think it's the fact that this is the "New Brands" Thread, that everyone is looking at these brands in a negative light. Since they are already established as a "New Brand" by being in this thread, anyone that comes and looks at these are automatically going to think "Unoriginal" "Biting this brand, biting this brand" "This has no meaning"

How do you know that these are unoriginal, or have no meaning, when you have known the brand for literally 5 seconds before making a post/judgement on it?

Twin Column has a very rich background story and every garment has a meaning behind it- the post would be huge if I took the time to explain each garment posted. I will probably stop posting in this thread because I can already tell it's not the right vibe. Too many poorly based opinions.

My advice to any new brands posting after this, if it's selling out quick- you must be doing something right.

People like you who get too defensive are the ones who make this thread so hostile..

Find us at www.princessesandpresidents.com

November 19, 2012 @ 03:34 PM
ndiao

BSH its nice shirt
November 19, 2012 @ 03:37 PM
twincolumn

@princeandprez As I said in my previous posts, I'm totally fine with constructive criticism. But when people say that these design have no meaning, that's just not true. That bugs the hell out of me.

TwinColumn.com @TwinColumnCult Facebook.com/TwinColumn

November 19, 2012 @ 04:32 PM
al dente co.

can't we all just get along?

if it don't apply let it fly....

at the end of the day, fuck what anyone says. if you believe in yourself and brand, it'll work out. this is why most people give up and don't become successful, bc they're insecure or worried about what people say.

you think people automatically fucked with these established brands? no, they didn't. but those brands beleived in themselves enough to stay consistent and make a name for themselves.

people say I bit my skull bunny logo, or my shirts have no depth, or i'm trying to hard. man, fuck that. i know what i'm doing and why i'm doing it.

negetivity is just something that gets thrown in the way of weak people to stop them from reaching they're goal. if you can get passed the nay-sayers and idiots who get on this thread and talk shit to you. you'll be fine.

remember this is hypebeasts, half these kids only wear what they see the mass wearing.

al dente company // aldenteco.com

November 19, 2012 @ 04:33 PM
twincolumn

@aldenteco Word bruh, that's what i'm saying. Well put.

November 19, 2012 @ 05:07 PM
al dente co.

@twincolumn - if what you do works for you, then run with it. I only make shirt i like and would wear. plain and simple.

November 19, 2012 @ 05:14 PM
twincolumn

@twincolumn - if what you do works for you, then run with it. I only make shirt i like and would wear. plain and simple.

@aldenteco That's my exact philosophy on designing. I design what I want to wear and what I wish was being released from other brands. I don't follow trends and I certainly don't design for trends. I think this is one of the main reasons for my success so far. Only ~8 months in but I am getting 7+ orders a week. Real Recognize Real.. I just do me

November 19, 2012 @ 05:30 PM
timk125

all very kitschy

@qrct1 All these designs are original and come from my taste in clothing. I don't bite designs and everything here has its own meaning. Not very kitschy unless you consider this genre of streetwear closed to any new brands

Those crosses and V's for A's remind me of Black Scale/ASAP and Givenchy. Not super original.

Granted you're not the only one doing the A's for V's thing, I'm just saying.

@timk125 You can see that those designs are a Raider Klan collab. Those are Raider Klan Hieroglyphics. V's stand for U's and A's. X's stand for E's and O's.

So it's not Black Scale/ASAP, quite the opposite since they are beefing

Fair enough. I just don't think it's right to say that you designs are original when you said later some of it is based of Givenchy.

I'm not hating on your brand, I like the cross shirts, I'm just (hopefully) giving my constructive criticism.
November 19, 2012 @ 05:34 PM
twincolumn

@timk125 I get where you are coming from on that. I wasn't trying to make a 100% original tee when I made the Cross tee, but I was not trying to copy Givenchy either. I was trying to make more of a play on it, showing they aren't worth $300/tee when I am selling mine for $30. I'm actually on my last restock for the Cross Shirts though, I've had three cycles already.. people just keep asking for them.

November 19, 2012 @ 05:38 PM
timk125

@twincolumn I definitely wasn't trying to say you were copying them, you're obviously not or you'd have stars around the collar.

Hey, as long as they're selling who gives a shit what people think. Congrats on the success.
November 19, 2012 @ 05:41 PM
twincolumn

@timk125 Thanks G. Some other dude had made a comment early about how all my shit is "Kitschy", I was trying to address that issue as well.

Rocksmith "Ninja Star Tee" is Kitschy. Not my shit, my Cross Neck still has elegance to it. Rocksmith even used the same amount of stars as Givenchy.

November 19, 2012 @ 06:02 PM
jarrelsylvers

@timk125 thanks for the advice man. I definitely was thinking about taking the co. out, and I feel you on some of the other stuff as well. I'm learning and growing man so if you have anymore critiques hit me up!

afloatcoclothing.com l @AfloatCo l afloatcoclothing.tumblr.com

November 19, 2012 @ 06:06 PM
jarrelsylvers

@timk125 and the triangle was modeled after the sail of a boat. I wanted to do something minimalistic that still had slight nautical theme.

November 19, 2012 @ 06:13 PM
twincolumn

Anyways, if any of you fuckin' with me, you can follow me on Twitter: @TwinColumnCult 6,800 other people fuckin' with me on that.

I answer tweets/questions rather quickly, and post other information regarding releases, garments, my thoughts and so on. I'm much more active on Twitter than Hypebeast.

Webstore: TwinColumn.com

November 19, 2012 @ 06:14 PM
timk125

@jarrelsylvers Oh okay. I can see that now. That's dope.
November 19, 2012 @ 06:31 PM
jarrelsylvers

@timk125 Thanks homie

November 19, 2012 @ 07:08 PM
wcfrontrvnners

can't we all just get along?

if it don't apply let it fly....

at the end of the day, fuck what anyone says. if you believe in yourself and brand, it'll work out. this is why most people give up and don't become successful, bc they're insecure or worried about what people say.

you think people automatically fucked with these established brands? no, they didn't. but those brands beleived in themselves enough to stay consistent and make a name for themselves.

people say I bit my skull bunny logo, or my shirts have no depth, or i'm trying to hard. man, fuck that. i know what i'm doing and why i'm doing it.

negetivity is just something that gets thrown in the way of weak people to stop them from reaching they're goal. if you can get passed the nay-sayers and idiots who get on this thread and talk shit to you. you'll be fine.

remember this is hypebeasts, half these kids only wear what they see the mass wearing.

Amen to you and @twincolumn . I can't agree more with what y'all have been saying.

WCFRVS.COM INSTAGRAM & TWITTER: WCFRONTRVNNERS ; JJFRNTRVNNERS

November 19, 2012 @ 07:30 PM
wcfrontrvnners

I hate how people are so caught up on black scale being the only "dark" brand that's ever existed. It's probably one of the most successful but if you look back into goth and metal rock fashion in the past, demonic designs have been around for a long time. Just take a trip to Hot Topic.

November 19, 2012 @ 07:41 PM
twincolumn

I hate how people are so caught up on black scale being the only "dark" brand that's ever existed. It's probably one of the most successful but if you look back into goth and metal rock fashion in the past, demonic designs have been around for a long time. Just take a trip to Hot Topic.

@wcfrontrvnners Thank you, someone else has said it. That's definitively been my biggest problem so far, but as my fan base grows it has become less of an issue. Without trying to look any deeper, a lot of people have dismissed my work because they think I'm biting or jumping on a trend. But even now, I find new "dark" brands that are very popular and don't bite style.

November 19, 2012 @ 07:49 PM
wcfrontrvnners

@twincolumn that's wsup man, you found a lane that you want to stick to, and I can tell from your garments you take time and pride in what you do. You got my respect.

November 19, 2012 @ 08:04 PM
al dente co.

i know this isnt a market place.... but i ended up with some extra beanies i don't need. really nice, 12 inch beanies in black. anyone want to take them off my hands? i have 16 let. @ $3 each.

November 19, 2012 @ 08:29 PM
karakter1

Wouldnt buy anything from 24/25 of these so called "brands"

lol at how flooded this market is, not to mention the established brands

most hypebeast are already trained and conditioned on what to like.

its almost like the established brands are becoming mainstream norm and the new brands are the true underground streetwear.

There is a huge market of consumers that dont want to wear the 20 "cool" brands anymore. And there is also a huge market of NEW consumers that havent been exposed to the scene at all.

Good luck to all the new brands.....for all the people that want to hate, why not direct it to the established brands?
November 19, 2012 @ 08:34 PM
cityofsavages

hell yeah

City of Savages Clothing http://shop.thecityofsavages.com "Live Free or Die"

November 19, 2012 @ 08:36 PM
al dente co.

@karakter1 - half these kids don't know the history behind brands. they just see tyler the creator or other celebs rocking the shit and join the bandwagon.

I'm 27 and was wearing stussy when i was 12. They probably didn't even know that mossimo ( a brand sold in target) started back in the 90's when supreme and stussy started and was actually considered streetwear, till they became licensed and became main stream as hell.

stupid hype kids. the most ignorant of them all. they stay behind the computer dissing but won't do shit in person.

November 19, 2012 @ 08:41 PM
al dente co.

hell yeah

diabolical brands period kill me... there are a lot. That diabolical fashion has been hot since the 80's. punk rock kids started that movement. Then it became sort of high fashion and cool now.

but too each is own. it's just preference. and no BLACK SCALE isn't the only one doing it. Fuct has been doing shit with reapers and goats and pentagrams since the 90's.

i can't mess with anything that is devil related or looks it. i'm a christian and proud of it. I can't diss my God like that, not even for fashion.

I don't even like the fact that brands use godly images too. i feel like it's blasphemy. like en - nior and other brands.

November 19, 2012 @ 08:42 PM
al dente co.

although i do love skulls though. but that doesnt represent devils or dark images IMO. i can even handle a grim reaper. B/c i like horror movies and old biker gang shit. But repping the devil..... no chance.

November 19, 2012 @ 09:13 PM
Laurence of Arabia

although i do love skulls though. but that doesnt represent devils or dark images IMO. i can even handle a grim reaper. B/c i like horror movies and old biker gang shit. But repping the devil..... no chance.
respect man !
November 19, 2012 @ 09:34 PM
twincolumn

It's great seeing comments like these after the response I got from my first posts.

Like @aldenteco said, FUCT has been doin this style for years, and one of the few original American Streetwear brands that is still respected in Japan - where this dark aesthetic is very popular and more widely accepted. (as said by Complex Magazine).

And just as a side note, none of my stuff represents the devil (not that anyone has said that it does).

The name is based on me, a Gemini- the sign being Two Columns or Twins. Gemini's ruling planet is Mercury- God of Travel, Patron of Commerce, and King of Thieves. I take a lot of inspiration from Astrology and the Mercury (the god) and from my general interests like Egypt and other myth. Other designs just pop in my head.

I based the name, Twin Column, after the designer (me) because I have seen too many brands trapped by their name. Like Diamond Supply. ALL their designs have Diamonds in them- it pretty much has to. But brands like Alexander Wang (named based on designer) can release whatever they want because the designs are based on the man behind the brand, not the brand's name. This allows me to have a whole future open to whatever I have interest in. After all, I'm only 19 and I design for myself and for what I want to wear.

Just a little something for other new brands on here to think about.

November 19, 2012 @ 09:54 PM
twincolumn

Continuing on with the little info, since I might as well, I have a few re-occurring themes in my work.

I have a Monogram Series where garments have the Twin Column Monogram.

I am about to restock these Sweatshirts in Black.

Also about to release Monogram Beanies and Monogram shirts, I have mockups for those if anyone wants to see.

I also have a Cult of Mercury thing going, since I take a lot of inspiration from the God of Mercury as I have said before.

CULT Sleeve Shirt w/ Mercury symbol

CVLT Snapback w/ Mercury Symbol

And of course, Twin Column gear like this TWIN Sleeve Shirt

And lastly, the Cross motif. These are my last Cross themed items however.

Cross Neck - Givenchy play

Ebbets Field Flannel Wool 5panel- Crosses are T's. Stands for Trade, Travel, Thievery. (Twin Column's Creed based off Mercury)

Cross Sleeve- to go with the Ebbets Wool 5panel

I also have a fourth theme, Raider Klan, which is an on-going collaboration with them.

As you can see, every item is coherent with each other and everything has a meaning.

November 19, 2012 @ 10:17 PM
lowlives

@twincolumn I'm really digging what you have come up with dude, and you give positive support to everyone else unlike most people I have seen on these forums..
Keep it up

www.lowlivesclothing.com IG: lowlivesclothing

Please login first to reply.