Get 15% Off + Free Shipping on Orders over $150 - Use Code: EPICSUMMER
September 18, 2012 @ 11:08 PM
JStorm803

Hey guys decided to show yall some of my own designs I was working on.

First draft.
this one works the best.... needs to be cleaned up tho....

I'll try it out to see how it looks.

"I keep myself so lifted I'm accustom to new heights."

September 19, 2012 @ 12:26 AM
ryder

spend $5000 producing your Tees, cut and sew, varsity jackets, 5panel hats, hoodies and stickers....

then do it again the next season....then the next....(because with so many brands out there, you cant keep posting the same tee for too long).....

you will have a good idea off what works after a full year of dropping lines.

That's actually around how much my fall/winter drop is going to cost
$6k for 336 shirts 6 designs , 115 crews 4 designs , 20 varsity jackets, 250 stickers, 500 of my PVC business cards, poly bags and chipboard and shipping.

It's crazy when you bunch it all up like that.

how long have you guys been doing this? and how much money do you know to put in? i just released 6 t shirts. 4 designs in total. printed 200 shirts.

at what point do you say hey let me drop 6k in this? has over producing been a problem? i know they say it's better to over pack than to under pack, but in a business like this, i figured you want to produce based on supply and demand. if you under produce you can go ahead and reprint shirts.... but if you overproduce you're stuck with inventory.

Started in 09 but didn't really start printing a lot of shirts until middle of last year.
09 printed about 32 shirts. After that worked on samples and what not to try to get started the design process. And TMing and getting the website together. Started my second design last year summer time did and since then have until I have printed about 238 shirts and thats with 9 designs.
I was actually going to use this drop for a lot of promotional stuff and make a Kickstarter project to get it going.
I haven't really had any shirts to print for hand out and distribution for promotion all sales at this point. Another reason for rebranding.
All of the shirts are two color each size ranging from 48-72 shirts per design. If that's a lot I don't know considering some will be given away for free I'm sure.

Am I doing to much?

"Am i doing to much?"

That really all depends on how many customers you have that will buy your new tees, and how many new customers you can acquire to buy them.

I personally would never print that many of anything. Not unless i know i could sell 80% in the first 3 weeks. Thats just how we do things tho, so if it works for you, then don't stop doing it.

How long do you think it will take for you to sell out everything? What about 50% of the stock? How much do you need to sell to break even?

edmflavor.com

September 19, 2012 @ 12:40 AM
kbradley

dopey dollars
Link
September 19, 2012 @ 12:52 AM
Broken Bank Clo

WOW really...

Broken Bank Clothing *** www.BrokenBankClothing.com *** @brokenbankclo

September 19, 2012 @ 01:35 AM
ryder

WOW really...

LOL...

Edit: Also he charges $12.99 for a snapback.. wtf is with everyone going bottom fucking dollar on stuff just to get sales these days

edmflavor.com

September 19, 2012 @ 02:15 AM
mrdaleog

WOW really...

LOL...

Edit: Also he charges $12.99 for a snapback.. wtf is with everyone going bottom fucking dollar on stuff just to get sales these days

Explain what you mean by this.

URBN. by Live Love URBAN || Do what you love, love what you do || www.LiveLoveURBAN.com

September 19, 2012 @ 02:15 AM
bnhds

Checkout out my video lookbook please. Let me know what you guys think, thanks.

http://www.boneheadsclothing.com/
September 19, 2012 @ 02:42 AM
ryder

URBN i cant quote you or even @reply you its weird... (EDIT: also you dont have a username lol whats up with that)

But anyways,

Charging $12.99 for a snapback with 3D embroidery just seems crazy to me. And things like that obviously hurt the industry because I have kids saying they wont pay X amount for a product just because some wack person is selling it way below market value because they think they'll make more money this way.

I've just noticed a lot of brands lately on IG and twitter selling like $10 shirts and $30 hoodies and all this(not sale prices, either). So many kids think that the cheaper the product is, the more sales you will get.They get it in their mind if they get X amount of sales in a month they will be "kings"(read: successful). But if you're selling 100 shirts, and only making $5 on a shirt, thats only $500 after selling 100 items to what I would assume is 100 customers. Why not sell it at a reasonable price of say $20, or even $30, to 30-50 customers and make even more money with less work...

edmflavor.com

September 19, 2012 @ 04:19 AM
hkeys

URBN i cant quote you or even @reply you its weird... (EDIT: also you dont have a username lol whats up with that)

But anyways,

Charging $12.99 for a snapback with 3D embroidery just seems crazy to me. And things like that obviously hurt the industry because I have kids saying they wont pay X amount for a product just because some wack person is selling it way below market value because they think they'll make more money this way.

I've just noticed a lot of brands lately on IG and twitter selling like $10 shirts and $30 hoodies and all this(not sale prices, either). So many kids think that the cheaper the product is, the more sales you will get.They get it in their mind if they get X amount of sales in a month they will be "kings"(read: successful). But if you're selling 100 shirts, and only making $5 on a shirt, thats only $500 after selling 100 items to what I would assume is 100 customers. Why not sell it at a reasonable price of say $20, or even $30, to 30-50 customers and make even more money with less work...

This makes total sense, but it goes both ways. From my experience I've seen alot of start up "brands" sell their tee's/hoods for $30-60 (especially in my area) which would be fine, if their quality matched the price. Too many people just see this as a way to make quick cash while using Gildan blanks, no labels, and no real aesthetic or branding. If I copped a shirt from one of these brands without first seeing it I would return it in a heart beat no matter what the design looked like. For us and the brand I'm in we started with Gildan tees, no labels, etc. but our designs were decent. We only charged less than $15 but have been upping our prices since then. Each new release we get better and better. Since our Spring/Summer release we've been sewing in our own custom labels and using Alstyle tees. At the moment our shirt's are priced low only because we have 1 small and 1 XL left in what's available. Our next drop is coming very soon and will be one of our largest so everything will be worth the prices. $20 tees, $30-40 hoods, coaches jackets, etc. Haven't really figured out our margins just let since we are still in our production mode. But, even if you are doing everything correctly from the industry standards, if you aren't marketing your brand right and gaining support, followers, customers, etc. then no matter what your prices are at it won't really help you sell your goods. The worst is people who have had their brands for more than a year or two and don't have good quality products. My brand "Divided Minds" has only been alive for a little over a year now, so we still have a long way to go and more knowledge to gain. It's just a great thing to see your progression and turning the idea into a reality and real business.

http://thedividedminds.com/

September 19, 2012 @ 05:37 AM
kocane

Where do you guys go to get your shirts/hoodies done? I wanna get some made (not for a brand, just for me and a few friends)
September 19, 2012 @ 07:06 AM
Frank_

Missdd a lot while I was gone... About pricing and quality just for an example I see a lcl brand sell shirts year round 10$ and crews hooded 20-25$ and snapbacks for like 15 and I'm thinking how the fuck do you make a profit... Now my shirts are currently on sale 10$ to clear out the last we have which was about 30 shirts started with like 100 and we have just random sizes in designs left and .. But it is a problem people feel like I can get this cheaper blah blah...

And I have had some success with my brand no store offers or anything yet... But for my first season just that I was able to sell them is success but next season I'm setting my goals even higher...
September 19, 2012 @ 02:20 PM
al dente co.

@vega_box

"am i doing too much"

this line i printed 33 of each shirt... s-xxl

i automatically gave away one of each to my models which left me 25 shirts of each in total....

so thats 150 shirts. out of those 150 i've sold 60 t shirts. doesnt seem like a lot, but its a good amount. i've given away another 20-30 t shirts (friends, fiance, brother and sister.. etc)

it's all about not staying with inventory. i'd rather invest in t shirts and give them away and take the loss than sit on t shirts and not have people wearing my stuff. it'll be like this for a year, i'm guessing.

4 years ago i started a clothing line with a partner and we printed 1700 shirts our first run bc we didnt know shit. we then, for 6 months sat on mad inventory. i wanted to give the shirts away as promo, he didnt. bottom line is, it didnt work out, we split up and he still has about 1680 t shirts.

whether you print 100-1000 t shirts, its up to you. my goal is to atleast sell enough to make my initial investment and if i have to give the rest away for promo, then i'll do that. so it's on you to be the judge as to "am i printing too much"

al dente company // aldenteco.com

September 19, 2012 @ 02:21 PM
mrdaleog

I understand you guys

URBN. by Live Love URBAN || Do what you love, love what you do || www.LiveLoveURBAN.com

September 19, 2012 @ 02:51 PM
lightworks1crew

Anyone have any opinions on Alstyle's 1701 blanks?

THE NAME OF THE GAME / www.lightworksclothing.com

September 19, 2012 @ 03:18 PM
al dente co.

@lightworks1crew

better fit than the 1301. i used next level 3600 this time bc of the fit, but the shirts were way too soft. 1701's are the way to go, but out of the 1701 and 1301 i like the 1301 better.

they have a thinner rib around the collar and i think it's a different type of ringspun so the shirts a bit softer. just doesnt as many color options.

September 19, 2012 @ 03:30 PM
Laurence of Arabia

@aldenteco Glad you use them, I think im gunna start printing on them for a good while...

A) How do they compare with Hanes Beefy ?
B) Can you compare the fit to any brands ?

Cheers bro !
September 19, 2012 @ 05:36 PM
al dente co.

@pirasy

using what? the next level 3600? they fit awesome. it's a lot softer and fit's more snug. theyre mad comfortable especially here in miami where it's 98 degrees everyday.

I might start using the alstyle my next run just b/c printing feels so much smoother on those shirts compared to the next level.

September 19, 2012 @ 05:40 PM
Laurence of Arabia

@aldenteco I'm not familiar with them but I'll check them out ! I meant more well known lablels ! Sounds awesome still, you're lucky you live in US Im gunna have to pay loads to get them shipped here it would seem sad
September 19, 2012 @ 05:43 PM
ryder

4 years ago i started a clothing line with a partner and we printed 1700 shirts our first run bc we didnt know shit. we then, for 6 months sat on mad inventory. i wanted to give the shirts away as promo, he didnt. bottom line is, it didnt work out, we split up and he still has about 1680 t shirts.

Holy fuck thats a lot lol

_____

As far as alstyle goes I only print on 5301's. I can get them local for pretty cheap so thats a huge plus (no minimums). I've ordered 1301's before but cant remember much about them other than i didnt like the thickness too them.

edmflavor.com

September 19, 2012 @ 05:54 PM
cityofsavages

@jstorm the second one is the best in my opinion.

City of Savages Clothing http://shop.thecityofsavages.com "Live Free or Die"

September 19, 2012 @ 06:13 PM
Castle Master

Our Serpent Crewneck

http://secretcastle.bigcartel.com/product/the-serpent-crewneck

http://secret-castle.com/

September 19, 2012 @ 08:19 PM
Broken Bank Clo

@vega_box

"am i doing too much"

this line i printed 33 of each shirt... s-xxl

i automatically gave away one of each to my models which left me 25 shirts of each in total....

so thats 150 shirts. out of those 150 i've sold 60 t shirts. doesnt seem like a lot, but its a good amount. i've given away another 20-30 t shirts (friends, fiance, brother and sister.. etc)

it's all about not staying with inventory. i'd rather invest in t shirts and give them away and take the loss than sit on t shirts and not have people wearing my stuff. it'll be like this for a year, i'm guessing.

whether you print 100-1000 t shirts, its up to you. my goal is to atleast sell enough to make my initial investment and if i have to give the rest away for promo, then i'll do that. so it's on you to be the judge as to "am i printing too much"

Good tip. I guess my idea of trying to get a whole bunch of shirts made may be a little out of hand. I was looking at making some both to produce and hand out but never thought about how much I would sell.

Different Question for anyone who has done this before:

Have any of you guys particpated in a event and gotten sponsored to make apparel for it?
I have a idea for some shirts and I'm looking at trying to get sponsored but don't know how to go about doing it.
Do you pocket any of the proceeds or does it all go to thing you are supporting?
I see it as a two part thing. I'll be able to spread the word about my company by having my logo on the back of the shirt and I'll be promoting something good as well to support the community.

September 19, 2012 @ 08:25 PM
justinsos

If anyone wants to chat clothes or industry email me or pm me! Justinsinkorswim@live.ca

Always down to meet new brands and chat about stuff! I think the only ones I know here are Ryder (Flavor) and Jake (Distant Light)

Looking forward to getting to know more people from this community!!

Sink or Swim Brand / www.sinkorswimbrand.com / Spring 2014 this April

September 19, 2012 @ 08:34 PM
lightworks1crew

@aldenteco Do you think Alstyle's 1701 is better quality than Gildan's G200. I'm trying to find a decent blank

THE NAME OF THE GAME / www.lightworksclothing.com

September 19, 2012 @ 08:38 PM
al dente co.

@vega_box

Ive participated in 2 events: DXC (dunk exchange) and I sponsored a big sean concert.
The DXC sucked b/c it was HB kids 15 and under so I didn’t sell anything.
The Big Sean show sucked even more bc I payed $600 to sponser and have my name on the flyer. I sold about $200 worth of shirts and even though I hung out with big sean, he denied my shirts b/c they werent bbc or ice cream. This was before he started wearing high fashion shit.

all in all if youre thinking you'll get more sales… probably not. Was it good for exposure, NOPE. A few people asked about us but nothing significant. I couldve networked better had I not had a booth in the back of the show.

September 19, 2012 @ 08:45 PM
al dente co.

DOES ANYONE KNOW WHERE I CAN PURCHASE CHAMPION HOODIES AND CREW NECKS AT AN AFFORDABLE PRICE?

September 19, 2012 @ 08:55 PM
chads

@aldenteco https://www.shirtsinbulk.com/search/champion

chadacadabra.tumblr.com

September 19, 2012 @ 09:41 PM
Broken Bank Clo

@vega_box

Ive participated in 2 events: DXC (dunk exchange) and I sponsored a big sean concert.
The DXC sucked b/c it was HB kids 15 and under so I didn’t sell anything.
The Big Sean show sucked even more bc I payed $600 to sponser and have my name on the flyer. I sold about $200 worth of shirts and even though I hung out with big sean, he denied my shirts b/c they werent bbc or ice cream. This was before he started wearing high fashion shit.

all in all if youre thinking you'll get more sales… probably not. Was it good for exposure, NOPE. A few people asked about us but nothing significant. I couldve networked better had I not had a booth in the back of the show.

Oh yeah I know about that kind of shit. That happened to my once with a event that was going on at a bar. I sponsored and gave away free stuff. Didn't get any customers out of it. I learned from that.

But I'm talking more along the lines of getting sponsored by an event or national cause.
I want to make breat awareness shirts for November to help the cause but also sneak by brand out there for exposure. Along the lines where you ask a corporate company to sponsor you to make some shirts and they pay for it. How does that kind of stuff work.

September 19, 2012 @ 09:52 PM
al dente co.

@vega_box

i'd say approach a company and pitch it to them. sometimes they'll sponsor you and not ask anything in return. they use that type of stuff as a tax write off. Smart way to get your brand exposed and it's for a good cause. my suggestion is to write everything down on paper, design, intentions, and plans and pitch it.

September 19, 2012 @ 09:53 PM
Broken Bank Clo

@aldenteco https://www.shirtsinbulk.com/search/champion

Way better choice at cheaper price
I personally love and use Hanes for my crewnecks P160 50/50 blend and P170 for hoodies.
Fit great and 50/50 blends hardly shrink if at all. Good for summer weather as well.

Please login first to reply.