Labor Day - Enjoy 25% Off Your Order. Use code: LABORDAY25
September 18, 2012 @ 06:03 PM
Castle Master

Use the code 24H on purchases of 50 euro or more to receive 15% off until midnight EST at

http://secretcastle.bigcartel.com/

http://secret-castle.com/

September 18, 2012 @ 06:28 PM
Broken Bank Clo

at some point...you have to think bigger than the hypebeast kind of consumer that wants everything to remain small, exclusive , for themselves and the people that they think are cool...

most brands have moved well beyond that type of consumer and target the larger streetwear audience....brands are in 5x more stores than 5 years ago, and accessible to everyone through multiple -Brand owned webshops, and online megastores.

....i know that as a hypebeast kind of consumer, some of you frown on certain retail options, but as a potential business owner....what you may consider "selling out"..or "falling off"...may have actually expanded a brand into a bigger and more steady customer base.

I thought of that same thing last weekend when I went to the mall walked into Revolution. I didn't see a lot of exclusive brands there but more of the smaller lines. They did have AKOO (T.I. brand) and Truckfit (Lil Wayne) but I also say more of the Indy, I guess you can say, brands there as well.
And you would think why would a rapper want to put his brand next to smaller line priced possibly cheaper and why Hundreds and what not woud not.

But would you dislike Boutique established brand less if you saw them have a account at say Zoomies...?

once you reach that success level, it's what you do with it that determines your credibility. kids are hating on supreme b/c more people know about it now. i doubt james jebbia is mad at that... supreme is worth over 40 million dollars.

You really can't control who buys your stuff. I'd say, how you keep your company ran or where it's sold at can determine if you became a sellout. for example, look at diamond supply. he's denied offers from nordstrom and saks 5th avenue to lisence and sell his brand. he said no. he also creates a certain line exclusive for pacsun and zoomies. he keeps his main line exclusivley sold online and to certain boutiques and at his flagship store.

had he gone the fubu or rockawear route, then yeah that's wack.

with success comes integrity. remember why you're in the game.

a lot of hypebeast kids have shit twisted. i'm 27 years old... i got into streetwear in 2004 a when you had to dig deep. i would wait in line for dunks and classic running shoes. i wore the hundreds, lamar and dauly, and brands like that before the hype took over. a lot of these hypebeast kids don't even know where and how or why shit developed. so i feel they have no say in what "selling out" is.

it's always about the money even though i'm not doing it for the money. but at the end of the day, i want to eat off this and feed my family off this.

OK. But another thing to take into consideration. If you trying to eat would it not be smart to expand? For everyone 1 hypebeast that stops rocking Supreme now that more people know about it they pick up 10 more non-hypebeast customers.
I wouldn't say thats selling out. Does it take away from the "exclusivness" I don't know.
Sometimes I look at FUBU and wonder did they do the right thing...
Are they still making money? Yes
Do you want to burn you FUBU sweater when you see some old lady wearing one that she picked up at Target? Kind of lol. But they still making money

Do you guys really think about this stuff when you creat accounts with different stores or are you just that happy to get picked up by one that you don't care?

Broken Bank Clothing *** www.BrokenBankClothing.com *** @brokenbankclo

September 18, 2012 @ 06:28 PM
karakter1

@vega_box

you have to remember why brands are "boutique born" in the first place....small brands with no money got picked up in small quaintness by mom and pop shops.....

most brands never knew how big this thing would get...so where pretty content with the level of success generated by growing through those channels.....but as the demand, audience and options got bigger....so did the possibilities of growth and expansion....
September 18, 2012 @ 06:48 PM
karakter1

@aldenteco

whenever you start a biz, and invest money.....its always about the money!

if you are making a few shirts as a hobby, for something cool to do...its not a biz.

seems like alot of guys are on the fence about whether they want something cool to do...or if they want to start a biz and make money.
September 18, 2012 @ 06:56 PM
karakter1

spend $5000 producing your Tees, cut and sew, varsity jackets, 5panel hats, hoodies and stickers....

then do it again the next season....then the next....(because with so many brands out there, you cant keep posting the same tee for too long).....

you will have a good idea off what works after a full year of dropping lines.
September 18, 2012 @ 07:00 PM
JStorm803

Hey guys decided to show yall some of my own designs I was working on.

First draft.

2nd decided not to go with this one because I was going for a panther look..and this one looks too much like a cat.

And the third...I didn't like this one either because it looks more like a bear, but I pretty much got the design I wanted on the 4th try. I'll post it up later after I get it scanned.

"I keep myself so lifted I'm accustom to new heights."

September 18, 2012 @ 07:02 PM
karakter1

i like the first!...dope
September 18, 2012 @ 07:20 PM
DannyHH

Anyone use IND4000 Hoodies? Do you think the smalls are good fit for women. Thanks
September 18, 2012 @ 07:25 PM
Broken Bank Clo

spend $5000 producing your Tees, cut and sew, varsity jackets, 5panel hats, hoodies and stickers....

then do it again the next season....then the next....(because with so many brands out there, you cant keep posting the same tee for too long).....

That's actually around how much my fall/winter drop is going to cost
$6k for 336 shirts 6 designs , 115 crews 4 designs , 20 varsity jackets, 250 stickers, 500 of my PVC business cards, poly bags and chipboard and shipping.

It's crazy when you bunch it all up like that.

September 18, 2012 @ 07:37 PM
al dente co.

@vega_box

i get what you mean. fubu is still making money. but the owner of fubu is an entrepreneur who works as a venture capitalist and an angel investor. he used fubu to get to where he is today. it depends what kind of success you wnat. this right now is my passion project. i want to and i will expand. do i want to be like fubu? not sure.... i have an eye for fashion and design and want to stay in that lane. when you do something you love, it's not about the money. but at the end of the day, i want to be successful in this and create a following. not just sell shit to make a quick buck. i'm designing clothes that i like and that i'll wear.

FYI ive been hit up by 3 stores and turned them all down. it wasnt my market. as of now that my brand is small, let's keep it exclusive. right now i dont know what my brand is capable of. it's still in it's early development stages. let's see a few years from now.

al dente company // aldenteco.com

September 18, 2012 @ 07:42 PM
al dente co.

@aldenteco

whenever you start a biz, and invest money.....its always about the money!

if you are making a few shirts as a hobby, for something cool to do...its not a biz.

seems like alot of guys are on the fence about whether they want something cool to do...or if they want to start a biz and make money.

i agree...

i see it different. i love doing this, if i never made it big, i'll continue designing shit for me and my friends to wear. i have my career to fall back on. with that being said, don't think i don't want huge success. but as of now, this is a hobby. it's something i put money in that generates a few bucks. as soon as i can quit my job and do this full time... then it's a real business.

but right now i'm doing this for the love of it and the fun journey. that doesnt mean i don't want to make it big. it just means i'm letting this shit marinate till i get to that point. even though i started in 2011, this fall was my realy first line that i dropped. before that i would drop a shirt here and there.

September 18, 2012 @ 07:53 PM
al dente co.

$6k for 336 shirts 6 designs , 115 crews 4 designs , 20 varsity jackets, 250 stickers, 500 of my PVC business cards, poly bags and chipboard and shipping.

how long have you guys been doing this? and how much money do you know to put in? i just released 6 t shirts. 4 designs in total. printed 200 shirts.

at what point do you say hey let me drop 6k in this? has over producing been a problem? i know they say it's better to over pack than to under pack, but in a business like this, i figured you want to produce based on supply and demand. if you under produce you can go ahead and reprint shirts.... but if you overproduce you're stuck with inventory.

September 18, 2012 @ 07:54 PM
al dente co.

First draft.
this one works the best.... needs to be cleaned up tho....

September 18, 2012 @ 08:11 PM
karakter1

you guys buggin about your assessment of FUBU....

why would you NOT want to be like them?....took a small investment, build a brand from scratch into a half billion, had about a decade of mainstream success...

most streetwear brands don't last that long, or make that much money.

did they sell out?...of course not...the intent all along was to take something he loved and build it into something larger than life.....mission accomplished...and moved on.
September 18, 2012 @ 08:20 PM
karakter1

@aldenteco

you might think you need a whole bunch of products to be able to compete...but you have to be smart.

i remember when a lot of brands tried to jump on the selvedge denim trend....a lot of brands lost alot of money.

the dope thing about streetwear is... that you can literally start with a few dope tees.

Personally...im not spending money to print, or produce shit...unless i got orders for it!
September 18, 2012 @ 08:35 PM
al dente co.

@karakter1

word, same here. my buddy here in miami started 2 years ago with 1 t shirt. now i see mad people rocking his shit in miami and all over the place. (stray rats).

do you have a website or a company?

September 18, 2012 @ 08:40 PM
Laurence of Arabia

For me, my line is more of a creative outlet to express myself, money never was and never will be the main goal, I see it more as a means to challenge myself to the maximum and see what I can achieve. I have a vivd idea of where I want to be in 5 years. It's hard to believe but if someone said I'd buy your whole label for 100k I'd decline because that isn't my purpose.

I think its all about your intent at the beginning, if your goal was to make as much money as possible and the opportunity came and you took it, thats not selling out.

But if you make out at the beginning that the label was created for something beyond financial reasons, and then somewhere along the line you get blinded by money,leading you to make choices which are purely financially motivated and alienate your fan-base then I'd say thats selling out.

I dont think Supreme have sold out, they have maintained their integrity (in my opinion) whilst creating a more widespread crowd over the past years.
September 18, 2012 @ 08:45 PM
karakter1

^^^^^

i agree with you......an outlet for creativity is good....but put money into it long enough...and you will want to see some come back!
September 18, 2012 @ 10:14 PM
Laurence of Arabia

I agree @Karakter1 ! I dont wanna put money only to get nothing back.
I want to make money but what dictates the amount of money I want to earn, is my creativity, I only put out what I think is best, and if I do that then the money will come through naturally.

Glad to see we are on the same wavelength guys !
September 18, 2012 @ 11:00 PM
Broken Bank Clo

how long have you guys been doing this? and how much money do you know to put in? i just released 6 t shirts. 4 designs in total. printed 200 shirts.

at what point do you say hey let me drop 6k in this? has over producing been a problem? i know they say it's better to over pack than to under pack, but in a business like this, i figured you want to produce based on supply and demand. if you under produce you can go ahead and reprint shirts.... but if you overproduce you're stuck with inventory.

Started in 09 but didn't really start printing a lot of shirts until middle of last year.
09 printed about 32 shirts. After that worked on samples and what not to try to get started the design process. And TMing and getting the website together. Started my second design last year summer time did and since then have until I have printed about 238 shirts and thats with 9 designs.
I was actually going to use this drop for a lot of promotional stuff and make a Kickstarter project to get it going.
I haven't really had any shirts to print for hand out and distribution for promotion all sales at this point. Another reason for rebranding.
All of the shirts are two color each size ranging from 48-72 shirts per design. If that's a lot I don't know considering some will be given away for free I'm sure.

Am I doing to much?

September 18, 2012 @ 11:08 PM
JStorm803

First draft.
this one works the best.... needs to be cleaned up tho....

I'll try it out to see how it looks.

"I keep myself so lifted I'm accustom to new heights."

September 19, 2012 @ 12:26 AM
ryder

Started in 09 but didn't really start printing a lot of shirts until middle of last year.
09 printed about 32 shirts. After that worked on samples and what not to try to get started the design process. And TMing and getting the website together. Started my second design last year summer time did and since then have until I have printed about 238 shirts and thats with 9 designs.
I was actually going to use this drop for a lot of promotional stuff and make a Kickstarter project to get it going.
I haven't really had any shirts to print for hand out and distribution for promotion all sales at this point. Another reason for rebranding.
All of the shirts are two color each size ranging from 48-72 shirts per design. If that's a lot I don't know considering some will be given away for free I'm sure.

Am I doing to much?

"Am i doing to much?"

That really all depends on how many customers you have that will buy your new tees, and how many new customers you can acquire to buy them.

I personally would never print that many of anything. Not unless i know i could sell 80% in the first 3 weeks. Thats just how we do things tho, so if it works for you, then don't stop doing it.

How long do you think it will take for you to sell out everything? What about 50% of the stock? How much do you need to sell to break even?

edmflavor.com

September 19, 2012 @ 12:40 AM
kbradley

dopey dollars
Link
September 19, 2012 @ 12:52 AM
Broken Bank Clo

WOW really...

September 19, 2012 @ 01:35 AM
ryder

WOW really...

LOL...

Edit: Also he charges $12.99 for a snapback.. wtf is with everyone going bottom fucking dollar on stuff just to get sales these days

edmflavor.com

September 19, 2012 @ 02:15 AM
mrdaleog

WOW really...

LOL...

Edit: Also he charges $12.99 for a snapback.. wtf is with everyone going bottom fucking dollar on stuff just to get sales these days

Explain what you mean by this.

"Being happy is the goal, but greatness is my vision" || @MrDaleOG || www.LiveLoveURBAN.com

September 19, 2012 @ 02:15 AM
bnhds

Checkout out my video lookbook please. Let me know what you guys think, thanks.

http://www.boneheadsclothing.com/
September 19, 2012 @ 02:42 AM
ryder

URBN i cant quote you or even @reply you its weird... (EDIT: also you dont have a username lol whats up with that)

But anyways,

Charging $12.99 for a snapback with 3D embroidery just seems crazy to me. And things like that obviously hurt the industry because I have kids saying they wont pay X amount for a product just because some wack person is selling it way below market value because they think they'll make more money this way.

I've just noticed a lot of brands lately on IG and twitter selling like $10 shirts and $30 hoodies and all this(not sale prices, either). So many kids think that the cheaper the product is, the more sales you will get.They get it in their mind if they get X amount of sales in a month they will be "kings"(read: successful). But if you're selling 100 shirts, and only making $5 on a shirt, thats only $500 after selling 100 items to what I would assume is 100 customers. Why not sell it at a reasonable price of say $20, or even $30, to 30-50 customers and make even more money with less work...

edmflavor.com

September 19, 2012 @ 04:19 AM
hkeys

URBN i cant quote you or even @reply you its weird... (EDIT: also you dont have a username lol whats up with that)

But anyways,

Charging $12.99 for a snapback with 3D embroidery just seems crazy to me. And things like that obviously hurt the industry because I have kids saying they wont pay X amount for a product just because some wack person is selling it way below market value because they think they'll make more money this way.

I've just noticed a lot of brands lately on IG and twitter selling like $10 shirts and $30 hoodies and all this(not sale prices, either). So many kids think that the cheaper the product is, the more sales you will get.They get it in their mind if they get X amount of sales in a month they will be "kings"(read: successful). But if you're selling 100 shirts, and only making $5 on a shirt, thats only $500 after selling 100 items to what I would assume is 100 customers. Why not sell it at a reasonable price of say $20, or even $30, to 30-50 customers and make even more money with less work...

This makes total sense, but it goes both ways. From my experience I've seen alot of start up "brands" sell their tee's/hoods for $30-60 (especially in my area) which would be fine, if their quality matched the price. Too many people just see this as a way to make quick cash while using Gildan blanks, no labels, and no real aesthetic or branding. If I copped a shirt from one of these brands without first seeing it I would return it in a heart beat no matter what the design looked like. For us and the brand I'm in we started with Gildan tees, no labels, etc. but our designs were decent. We only charged less than $15 but have been upping our prices since then. Each new release we get better and better. Since our Spring/Summer release we've been sewing in our own custom labels and using Alstyle tees. At the moment our shirt's are priced low only because we have 1 small and 1 XL left in what's available. Our next drop is coming very soon and will be one of our largest so everything will be worth the prices. $20 tees, $30-40 hoods, coaches jackets, etc. Haven't really figured out our margins just let since we are still in our production mode. But, even if you are doing everything correctly from the industry standards, if you aren't marketing your brand right and gaining support, followers, customers, etc. then no matter what your prices are at it won't really help you sell your goods. The worst is people who have had their brands for more than a year or two and don't have good quality products. My brand "Divided Minds" has only been alive for a little over a year now, so we still have a long way to go and more knowledge to gain. It's just a great thing to see your progression and turning the idea into a reality and real business.

http://thedividedminds.com/

September 19, 2012 @ 05:37 AM
kocane

Where do you guys go to get your shirts/hoodies done? I wanna get some made (not for a brand, just for me and a few friends)

Please login first to reply.