Get an Extra 20% Off Sale Items - Use code: EXTRA20
September 12, 2012 @ 03:28 AM
ricosway

@ricosway

Everyone's gotta start somewhere.
I started there, and like I said, now I'm here.

I would think you would realize this, considering your opening spiel with your life story about making it from grad to "movement" (which makes me question the sincerity of it, but anyway).

I never claimed to be an artist? (C'mon this ignorance shit is getting stupid).

However, from my logo to my designs (yes, I paid someone else to do the designs which I am claiming are > than your shit).

But, owning a business means knowing your strengths and weaknesses, especially if you're a one-man show.

I'm not graphically skilled, I never claimed that.

What I did claim, is my designs are better than yours, and they are.

Conceptually, artistically, enjoy running your copy of www.fullylaced.com, you joke.

And here -- is far, far ahead of wherever it is your brands are.

(At least the face logo is something I can claim to have made 100% rather than putting out clothing that is only 5% mine.... and more than likely infringing on a trademark...)

But this is original too right?

Your opinion is null and void after seeing your website and designs

Haha @ saying you started out there and now you're here. You haven't went anywhere, fool! Your brand is still the trash you started off with hahaha!

Good luck with your brand haha
September 12, 2012 @ 03:33 AM
Bulldog

@lamash

I know that it was just the hat.
The hat was the least original piece and the least creative.

From a business standpoint, the restock makes perfect sense, but from a consumer standpoint?
It's like if Supreme reprinted something from their first collection, the brand couldn't help but be tarnished -- same with B.G. up until this point, they've worked under the same exclusivity model as Supreme, but all of a sudden it's okay for them to change their model just because of a demand?

Supreme has plenty of demand, they certainly wouldn't buckle, not only because it's been years and it would do noticeable damage to their rep, but people would hate on them for ABANDONING THEIR promise.

What more does a brand have to accomplish than to adhere to it's brand promise? I think worked out ok, 'cause B.G. wasn't all about exclusivity, it was just a component, but still, sell-out.

I don't believe one can compare Supreme and BG. They operate under two completely different philosophies and business models. Supreme is a faceless entity, with no real one-on-one customer relationship. Benny Gold, however, is a brand built by and named after one man. BG's manner of business involves forming and maintaining relationships on a personal level with consumers, supporters, and fellow brands alike. If loyal people with whom he interacts with on both a regular and business basis express their dismay for missing out on something he himself created, I don't blame the man for listening. He states on his blog, "a lot of our key store accounts and customers missed out on them so we re-ran a VERY LIMITED amount." This means the small restock fulfills demand on the behalf of both contracted vendors and an integral client base. Rather than "selling out," I see it as more of an olive branch extended to disappointed fans and suppliers alike who had the misfortune of missing out on the release. Not to mention he's one man with a personally-run retail space and people on the payroll, along with a new family. I don't feel his creativity has been hindered a bit by the need to operate his business in a practical manner.

www.justinungar.com

September 12, 2012 @ 03:46 AM
stillwild

@lamash

From a business standpoint, the restock makes perfect sense, but from a consumer standpoint?
It's like if Supreme reprinted something from their first collection, the brand couldn't help but be tarnished -- same with B.G. up until this point, they've worked under the same exclusivity model as Supreme, but all of a sudden it's okay for them to change their model just because of a demand?

Supreme has plenty of demand, they certainly wouldn't buckle, not only because it's been years and it would do noticeable damage to their rep, but people would hate on them for ABANDONING THEIR promise.

What more does a brand have to accomplish than to adhere to it's brand promise? I think worked out ok, 'cause B.G. wasn't all about exclusivity, it was just a component, but still, sell-out.

I don't believe one can compare Supreme and BG. They operate under two completely different philosophies and business models. Supreme is a faceless entity, with no real one-on-one customer relationship. Benny Gold, however, is a brand built by and named after one man. BG's manner of business involves forming and maintaining relationships on a personal level with consumers, supporters, and fellow brands alike. If loyal people with whom he interacts with on both a regular and business basis express their dismay for missing out on something he himself created, I don't blame the man for listening. He states on his blog, "a lot of our key store accounts and customers missed out on them so we re-ran a VERY LIMITED amount." This means the small restock fulfills demand on the behalf of both contracted vendors and an integral client base. Rather than "selling out," I see it as more of an olive branch extended to disappointed fans and suppliers alike who had the misfortune of missing out on the release. Not to mention he's one man with a personally-run retail space and people on the payroll, along with a new family. I don't feel his creativity has been hindered a bit by the need to operate his business in a practical manner.

I don't think the size of the re-print matters, he just said it that way, I feel, so that it seemed less like he was doing a full re-print, and contradicting himself.

How is it an olive branch?
Those same people, who likely have been following Benny Gold for seasons have seen lines come and go, I'm sure this isn't the first time he's received requests for reprints.

B.G & Supreme are different in a lot of ways, but until this point, I'd like to see you provide evidence that they didn't both operate on the same model of exclusivity.

Until you can, with this collection, B.G. simply caved to demand.

If you've ever e-mailed Supreme, or went to their physical space, they actually do have customer service and are brilliant with it.

www.stillwild.co / online store that celebrates nature!

September 12, 2012 @ 03:55 AM
stillwild

@lamash

I feel you are not answering objectively.

Forget Benny Gold.

Lets talk Supreme. Say you can't compare them. But until this release (unless you can prove otherwise, factually, they operated on the same model.)

How were their models different? Sure their philosophies are miles apart. But compare THEIR BUSINESS MODELS.

- seasonal lines.
- no REPRINTS EVER.
- typical streetwear staples (tees, etc).

Now that they're working on the same model. Lets talk only about Supreme.

Honestly,
would you be ok with Supreme doing a reprint? Even if there was a huge amount of demand. (forgetting their brand, other than that model, and brand promise of exclusivity).

Why should you be? You'd be right not to be.

Brands are like your friends.
Their value is through their interaction with you (products, services, what have you),
and they deliver continuously on that value with that within the context of the brand promise.

Just like your friend, why would you be ok with a brand you trust, breaking their promise? Even if a lot of people asked them to?

September 12, 2012 @ 03:58 AM
stillwild

@jakeocean

I don't think you're answering objectively here.

I like Benny as much as anyone else, and there are unique elements to the line (the packaging @lamash mentioned is sheer genius).

But I'll be damned if I support stagnancy, no matter if I like the brand or not.

Pendleton v. Benny Gold for the record.
Looks like the exact same thing, with different shapes, doesn't seem like too much of a twist (save for the shapes).

His accessory brand was the most promising aspect of the brand! I agree so unique.
So why go and do what all his competition is doing now?
I can't help but think it was the graphic designer in him, wanting a crack at the trend, even so, no pass from me.

September 12, 2012 @ 04:01 AM
Jake Ocean

@lamash

I don't think the size of the re-print matters, he just said it that way, I feel, so that it seemed less like he was doing a full re-print, and contradicting himself.

Those same people, who likely have been following Benny Gold for seasons have seen lines come and go, I'm sure this isn't the first time he's received requests for reprints.

B.G & Supreme are different in a lot of ways, but until this point, I'd like to see you provide evidence that they didn't both operate on the same model of exclusivity.

If you've ever e-mailed Supreme, or went to their physical space, they actually do have customer service and are brilliant with it.

he didn't say customer service, he said customer relationship. i have never seen supreme commit to personal customer relationship. the only customer relationship i have with supreme is an email once a week on their web shop.
for an example, i built a personal relationship with benny, ( i'm sure along with many other people), and he even blogged about me a long with another small brand. it made my day when i found out about it, and it was because benny was willing to go the extra mile to connect with his fans and be appreciative.

http://www.distantlight.co

September 12, 2012 @ 04:07 AM
Bulldog

@lamash

Unfortunately, I can't bring myself to keyboard-warrior another brief essay in defense of a brand I have zero personal association with. I doubt either one of us will be convinced by the other as to what defines "selling out." As I stated before, I simply do not believe a limited-run restock of one item designates selling out; nor have I seen BG's exploration into current trends to be anything more than a demonstration of how vast his creative span can reach. After this long debate over how original or unoriginal the Benny Gold collection is as of this season, my initial point still stands as true- originality does not simply equate to success. You believe BG to be a sellout; I simply said he found further success through charting new territory in a relatively crowded trend.

The path that this conversation has taken has diverted immensely from the initial debate of originality in correlation to success within brand practice. Bringing it back to the original topic on-hand, I can understand the initial points you were making in terms of questioning the originality of some designs shared on this thread. However, we must practice what we preach. Is the visual identity of your brand, as well as the artwork and philosophy behind it, original? Not only that, but is it successful? Circling back to my initial post, one does not equal the other, though both aspects (especially the latter) are typically met when branding is carried out properly.

www.justinungar.com

September 12, 2012 @ 04:11 AM
♥♥♥♥☮☮☮☮☮♥♥♥♥♥⚐⚑☺☺☺

@lamash

Unfortunately, I can't bring myself to keyboard-warrior another brief essay in defense of a brand I have zero personal association with. I doubt either one of us will be convinced by the other as to what defines "selling out." As I stated before, I simply do not believe a limited-run restock of one item designates selling out; nor have I seen BG's exploration into current trends to be anything more than a demonstration of how vast his creative span can reach.

The path that this conversation has taken has diverted immensely from the initial debate of originality in correlation to success within brand practice. Bringing it back to the original topic on-hand, I can understand the initial points you were making in terms of questioning the originality of some designs shared on this thread. However, we must practice what we preach. Is the visual identity of your brand, as well as the artwork and philosophy behind it, original? Not only that, but is it successful? Circling back to my initial post, one does not equal the other, though both aspects (especially the latter) are typically met when branding is carried out properly.

Lemme get a free shirt bruh

https://soundcloud.com/tobiokami/okami-tobiokami https://soundcloud.com/tobiokami/okami-tobiokami MY MUSIC---

September 12, 2012 @ 04:11 AM
stillwild

@lamash

he didn't say customer service, he said customer relationship. i have never seen supreme commit to personal customer relationship. the only customer relationship i have with supreme is an email once a week on their web shop.
for an example, i built a personal relationship with benny, ( i'm sure along with many other people), and he even blogged about me a long with another small brand. it made my day when i found out about it, and it was because benny was willing to go the extra mile to connect with his fans and be appreciative.

Sorry, I misread.

Like I said, biased all the same.

Imagine how many people do not get their e-mails answered by Benny. Does that mean he's lacking in the customer relationship department?

But I don't really think you can compare their customer relationships building, they have to be measured differently,

in the same way, your local coffee shop and starbucks would have to.

Benny Gold is a man brand (essentially) so he can connect with more people than Supreme (yes, Supreme is essentially "faceless", in that they aren't represented by a single face, but rather the supreme skate shop staff and Supreme's ideology, this more than the former).

Because Supreme is represented more by an ideology than a person; it would make sense they have different communications strategies, neither is less valid in terms of customer relationships.

I have a great one with Supreme, it might not be personal, but they deliver time and time again.

September 12, 2012 @ 04:14 AM
♥♥♥♥☮☮☮☮☮♥♥♥♥♥⚐⚑☺☺☺

Stop quoting theres an @ button

https://soundcloud.com/tobiokami/okami-tobiokami https://soundcloud.com/tobiokami/okami-tobiokami MY MUSIC---

September 12, 2012 @ 04:58 AM
wcfrontrvnners

This thread is all fucked up right now.

WCFRVS.COM INSTAGRAM & TWITTER: WCFRONTRVNNERS ; JJFRNTRVNNERS

September 12, 2012 @ 05:01 AM
Frank_

yo i have $50 worth of Facebook credits that somebody can use for a new add account i will sell then for low so just pm me
September 12, 2012 @ 05:12 AM

Inactive

jayzus what happened to hb talent.....came in here to say @ricosway your shit is so fucking whack lol. no need to pull out numbers because 12837912879837917297million tumblrfags can buy yo shit but don't you ever call your shit inspired or "original"

"Stay Original, Be An Individual - SNDVL" after reading this and taking one look at your designs... what a joke. of course there is a market for this type of shit for people who don't know any better.

whack ass fucking brands stop posting
peace
September 12, 2012 @ 05:24 AM
stillwild

so hard finding a good screen printer!

September 12, 2012 @ 06:29 AM
rare01

the hater is also a whiner, nuff said..
September 12, 2012 @ 07:31 AM
qrct1

@aaronstrdywngs

appreciate it

www.æterna.net/shop

September 12, 2012 @ 07:35 AM
qrct1

guys do you guys use wordpress?

hypebeast.com is wordpress right?

how do you get it to become a e-commerce site?

could you guys spare any words on developing a website?

I use wordpress www.strdywngs.com.
All you need to do is install an ecommerce plugin. On your wordpress dashboard go to plugins and search for ecommerce. Woocommerce is a popular one and easy to use. Then play around with it and your theme.

You also have to take into account that it takes more than just playing around with a theme to get your site to be really legitimate. This is where hypebeast sets it itself from it competition. The explanation above does still work for a simple ecommerce website.

What skills are required for more customization?
How do the people over at splaynewyork build their sites? (Supreme's website)

www.æterna.net/shop

September 12, 2012 @ 08:00 AM
HEAVYSET

HEAVYSET

Fuckwithit.

WeAreHeavyset.com | O.S.O.S.

September 12, 2012 @ 08:07 AM
qrct1

It is A FUCKING COMPETITION.
Are these not businesses?
Are you not STRIVING TO BE BETTER THAN EVERYONE ELSE? (the definition of competition in a nutshell).
If your not well.. more power to you.

All this BUDDY BUDDY shit is lame. Honestly HALF THE COMMENTS AREN'T EVEN CONSTRUCTIVE.
It's about helping each other?

"DOPE LOVE THAT SHIRT"

is not constructive.

Debate, arguments, DISAGREEMENT, are actually the foundation of progress, SO FUCK THAT, I'll feel free to disagree with anyone. (i.e. the united states for those of you from the country).

Sorry for the honesty, but honestly, even you MINSCT, WHAT THE FUCK ARE YOU ABOUT?

A stylish amalgam of nothing is still nothing.

You are a fucking idiot and you are contradicting yourself. If you are business oriented and your shit is so fresh and off the hook and other brands consists of "lifestyle" shit, you should be happy about it cos you are kicking asses big time

And what the fuck is your problem with posts like "I like that shit"? Are you mad cos no one's got love for you and your awesome green website ?

R-1 AO 1 20
49° 15′N 123° 6W
FMC – 18201006
AD INFINITUM
ONE OF A KIND. RARE1

WWW.RARE1.CA
Facebook
instagram @rare1

where is his website

www.æterna.net/shop

September 12, 2012 @ 08:30 AM
qrct1

Someone wanna tear this apart? Please

scary and uninviting for me who chose not to tag along with that one skull fad posse from my high school

www.æterna.net/shop

September 12, 2012 @ 09:34 AM
ArmandDushae

Wasup everybody this is Armand Dushae owner of DMBGS by Armand Dushae A line of coinpouches handmade in California that have recently been added to the Karmaloop Kazbah line-up

At 19 years old I launched my company, & in the 10 months since then [ with only about 4 months of actually going hard] I've achieved some degree of success, so hopefully I can contribute to the discussion . Here are some factors that have helped the progress of my product-

- Specialization , My niche is coin pouches. the t-shirt market is over saturated. Unless your brand is fundamentally unique you will need spectacular designs or a celebrity cosigner to succeed. Try to create something (other than a logo) that gives your products that signature look.

- Made In USA , People love the fact that something is homegrown , especially in the current state of our nations politics & economy.

- Good Marketing, If you aren't sending out 15+ emails on the daily ( to stores, stylist, blogs, etc) , all over every social network, and active in the local fashion community then you're not on your job. Youtube is a marketing tool that has greatly helped my brand as well as given me the opportunity to help other brands. My series Tha Trend was instrumental in getting DMBGS known on a larger scale.

- Attention to Detail, things like paying the extra 15 cents per label to have metallic thread, specialty packaging, & lining every bag with silk are the little factors that I'm convinced set my products apart from every other coin pouch on the market.

- In House-Production, I understand everyone isn't a screen-printer or designer but if you can have manufacturing local it gives you the opportunity to quickly ride the "waves" of any current events. One example of what I did was release a Giants Superbowl coin pouch 30 minutes after New York won. It sold out before the week was over (granted it was a limited collection)

I know a lot of you underground lines are probably wondering the affects of partnering with Karmaloop Kazbah & how it boost sales. In the past week & a half I've received orders to Austria, Belgium, Canada, Cali, Mississipi, Texas, Florida, New York & North Carolina . Karmaloop Kazbah is definitely the way to go if you want that worldwide exposure, though they take their 35% and make you pay for shipping , its definitely worth it. Another benefit of partnering with the Kazbah (that's arguably the biggest perk) is the fact that your contact information is on the top of your vendor page. If you have a dope product then web-stores, boutiques, brands & blogs will begin to slowly flood your inbox with business proposals & marketing opportunities.

Any questions hit me up
-Armand Dushae

P.S. Any brands looking to have coin pouches produced I offer the lowest minimums, most customization options & am willing to work with you on pricing . The profit margin is much greater than t-shirts. Also anyone wanting to collaborate , I'm all ears [& Karmaloop Kazbah encourages us to list our collaboration products, so it has the potential to be lucrative ] . Contact : dimebags@armanddushae.com [case-sensitive]

dmbgs.biz / dmbgs101@gmail.com / @ArmandDushae

September 12, 2012 @ 11:39 AM
al dente co.

Damn ya'll still arguing?

LOL

al dente company // aldenteco.com

September 12, 2012 @ 11:41 AM
al dente co.

beside all the arguing .....i just looked at the box we have left of shirts...and we only have about 20 or left sooo

September 12, 2012 @ 11:42 AM
Laurence of Arabia

@armanddushae Good luck man, interesting information that I am going to take unboard, mainly the marketing part (im whack at marketing lol)
September 12, 2012 @ 11:44 AM
al dente co.

HAS ANYONE STARTED WORKING ON THEIR WINTER STUFF YET? I'M DOING A WINTER DROP IN DECEMBER.

I HAVE HOODIES AND T SHIRTS.... STILL DEBATING ABOUT HATS. IT'S IMPOSSIBLE TO FIND A GOOD HAT MANUFACTURER IN MIAMI. AND THE BLANKS I'VE FOUND ARE HORRIBLE.

September 12, 2012 @ 11:44 AM
Laurence of Arabia

Good luck everyone !! Lets get the positivity back on this thread, I think we can all agree camaraderie is key, right ?
September 12, 2012 @ 11:45 AM
Laurence of Arabia

HAS ANYONE STARTED WORKING ON THEIR WINTER STUFF YET? I'M DOING A WINTER DROP IN DECEMBER.

I HAVE HOODIES AND T SHIRTS.... STILL DEBATING ABOUT HATS. IT'S IMPOSSIBLE TO FIND A GOOD HAT MANUFACTURER IN MIAMI. AND THE BLANKS I'VE FOUND ARE HORRIBLE.

I have designs ready but if I cant get the best quality garments to work with then I'll postpone until later I wanna stick to t-shirts until im able to get good quality sweaters produced ! What kind of hats are you looking to make bro ?
September 12, 2012 @ 11:47 AM
al dente co.

@ricosway

I DON'T HAVE A LOT OF ADVICE B/C I DABBLED IN AND OUT OF THE SNEAKER MARKET TOO QUICK. BUT EMAIL ME AND I CAN GIVE MARKETING TIPS. THERE IS ALSO 2 STORES HERE IN MIAMI THAT SOLD OUR STUFF, I CAN SEND YOU THEIR INFO. THEY CATER HUGE TO SNEAKER HEADS. ONE OF THE STORES IS OWNED BY JORDAN'S GF'S LITTLE BROTHER AND A CLOSE FRIEND MINE.

I'M ALWAYS OUT TO HELP SOMEONE.

September 12, 2012 @ 11:50 AM
al dente co.

HEY....

I'M ALWAYS DOWN TO GIVE PEOPLE ADVICE WHEN I CAN OR HELP SOMEONE OUT. I READ THIS A WEEK OR SO AGO AND IT DOESNT RELATE TO "STARTING A BRAND" BUT IT HELPS WITH RUNNING A BUSINESS AND HAVING A DIFFERENT MIND SET.

I HAVE A FULL TIME CAREER THAT I LOVE, BUT I HAVE A BIGGER PASSION FOR FASHION AND CLOTHES. SO AL DENTE IS MY SIDE HOBBY TILL IT BECOMES MY CAREER.

STARTING A CLOTHING LINE IS COOL. IT'S FUN AND IT HAS POTENTIAL TO MAKE MONEY. NOT TOO MANY PEOPLE ARE SMART BUSINESS WISE. THIS WON'T ANSWER ALL YOUR BUSINESS QUESTIONS, BUT IT PUTS YOU IN THE CORRECT MIND SET.

GOOD LUCK TO ALL OF YOU.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/21-ways-rich-people-think-differently.html?page=all

September 12, 2012 @ 11:54 AM
al dente co.

@pirasy

I AGREE. I FOUND SOME GOOD HOODIES AT A GOOD PRICE. I WANT TO MAKE 5 PANEL SNAPBACKS. NOT CAMP CAPS. BUT I NEED SOMETHING WITH A NICE FITTING CROWN.

ANYWAYS, WE'LL TALK LATER. GOTTA GET READY FOR WORK.

Please login first to reply.