Free Worldwide Shipping on Orders Over $150.00 USD or more - Use Code: HBSHIP150
August 31, 2010 @ 12:32 AM
confusedambler

Hi, I've been lurking around here for some time as fashion is my interest. I'm from Asia btw.

I take a look at the brands on the homepage quite often, and I see that some of them have been featured very often. The thing is that, in my opinion, there is nothing very special about those brands where fashion design or product quality is concerned.

The brands that I talk about are:

supreme, 10 deep, HUF, undefeated, diamond supply, the 100s, stussy, greedy genius, crook & castle, ALIFE, ransom, wesc and #1 most horrible bathing ape.

To me I really don't understand what is fashion about these brands. Most of them just put a logo (or a monkey) on a t shirt, or some graphic design that is not really innovative or artistic. I take a look at some of them in person when on holiday in USA and quality is average like uniqlo.

For me interesting brands are some real classics like John Smedley, or adidas/nike/puma/lacoste, sperry, converse, vans, clarks, etc.

OR

real designer brands with good quality like LV, Lanvin, Gucci, Ann De, Rick Owen, Burberry, yuketen, julius_7, visvim, polo ralph, when you see their product you know there is quality and design put into it.

To me as an Asian I don't know why American call a good design and quality product "dope". According to my friend dope = weed, crack, etc.

Sorry if I sound a little...new, but I want to understand the thoughts of a site I visit often.
August 31, 2010 @ 02:36 AM
Bones

You bring up many good points, we should message the administrator and inform him of this.
August 31, 2010 @ 02:50 AM
VOMITSPIT

Black Supreme Safari, Raised by Wolves, and more: http://hypebeast.com/forums/apparel/220068

August 31, 2010 @ 03:10 AM
buffaloclone

http://hypebeast.com/forums/apparel/221009#4496439 IRONHEART,RAYBANS&CUSTOM LEATHER BUY MY SHIT http://dogfart69.tumblr.com/

August 31, 2010 @ 06:00 AM
confusedambler

You know, i dont see why people would post stuff like from 4chan to my honest questions. What may be obvious to americans, is not obvious to me. I am 2ch member, but do you see me treating this forum like 2ch?
August 31, 2010 @ 06:50 AM
VOMITSPIT

Dat low key troll, hey Dstyles!

Black Supreme Safari, Raised by Wolves, and more: http://hypebeast.com/forums/apparel/220068

August 31, 2010 @ 07:49 AM
confusedambler

no, how about you gtfo my thread, seriously, if you cannot provide intelligent answer.
August 31, 2010 @ 03:31 PM
nonfatmilk

People like what they like, people say what they wanna say.
August 31, 2010 @ 04:57 PM
BarryGoods

Maybe it's because people want to follow a certain lifestyle.

P R O V E R S E | WWW.PROVERSE.COM | INSTAGRAM.COM/PROVERSEGOODS | PPP

August 31, 2010 @ 05:05 PM
araw at bituin

Hi, I've been lurking around here for some time as fashion is my interest. I'm from Asia btw.

I take a look at the brands on the homepage quite often, and I see that some of them have been featured very often. The thing is that, in my opinion, there is nothing very special about those brands where fashion design or product quality is concerned.

The brands that I talk about are:

supreme, 10 deep, HUF, undefeated, diamond supply, the 100s, stussy, greedy genius, crook & castle, ALIFE, ransom, wesc and #1 most horrible bathing ape.

To me I really don't understand what is fashion about these brands. Most of them just put a logo (or a monkey) on a t shirt, or some graphic design that is not really innovative or artistic. I take a look at some of them in person when on holiday in USA and quality is average like uniqlo.

For me interesting brands are some real classics like John Smedley, or adidas/nike/puma/lacoste, sperry, converse, vans, clarks, etc.

OR

real designer brands with good quality like LV, Lanvin, Gucci, Ann De, Rick Owen, Burberry, yuketen, julius_7, visvim, polo ralph, when you see their product you know there is quality and design put into it.

To me as an Asian I don't know why American call a good design and quality product "dope". According to my friend dope = weed, crack, etc.

Sorry if I sound a little...new, but I want to understand the thoughts of a site I visit often.

most of the brands you mention do just that. slap a logo on something.

http://instagram.com/qyel

August 31, 2010 @ 05:08 PM
fruity_smell

most of the brands you mention do just that. slap a logo on something.

Cosign.
August 31, 2010 @ 05:16 PM
VOMITSPIT

Streetwear or gtfo.

August 31, 2010 @ 05:38 PM
TH9

Streetwear or gtfo.

This, regardless of how rudely its stated, is the main answer. To the best of my knowledge, HUF, undefeated, etc. originate from skating, surfing, etc. These brands get away with 'slapping a logo on everything' because everyone who is part of their particular subculture already knows what the brand is about. On the other hand, brands like 10 deep, crook & castles, etc. play to the hip-hop, street, ghetto graffiti culture, as can be seen by their featuring guns, bandanas, etc. in their designs.

I have to agree with the above poster on how the brands you mentioned as interesting mainly do the same logo slapping -- except most of those brands are known for shoes, and obviously you can get more interesting with those through materials, silhouettes, etc. But if you look at Converse's clothes, it's, if possible, less creative than the 'horrible brands' you mentioned.

LV, Gucci, etc. aren't exactly streetwear brands -- you can look into superfuture.com if you're interested in those. And I don't think the average poster on this forum is willing to get the top-end $600 julius pants and $1000 Rick Owens jackets. And people here do wear RRL / polo, and visvim is commonly featured on the site.

Also, Bape isn't American. It's Asian.
August 31, 2010 @ 06:04 PM
VOMITSPIT

Exactly, now I don't even need to explain my last post.

August 31, 2010 @ 08:00 PM
CShizzle77

Idk, I'd rather pay 60-70 per dress shirt than 200+ for a Burberry Shirt. I guess the markets too small. I'd rather read about brands and releases about things I could possible afford rather than looking at shirts and releases that'll it'll take me two years to save up for for one item.
August 31, 2010 @ 09:14 PM
CⒶM

dont you fucking dare disrespect the quality of ransoms products.
(ican help you kill yourself, pm me)

Not with a bang but a whimper

August 31, 2010 @ 09:27 PM
bullets

this thread is shit.
August 31, 2010 @ 09:29 PM
element

we like streetwear, so we wear it.
August 31, 2010 @ 11:09 PM
Nems

The brands you mentioned as "interesting brands","real classics" are for the most part "fashion houses" started by individuals who are skilled or self-taught fashion designers, milliners, pattern makers, drapers, shoe makers, etc. or specialized in luxury goods/accessories. Nothing wrong with these brands but "some" are "elitist" to some degree and have the major $$$/Yen/

Universal Article www.universalarticle.com

August 31, 2010 @ 11:24 PM
confusedambler

thanks vitatim and nems, that really explains things to me and is helpful smile

To me, I think the fashion culture is different, I think on whole developed asian countries are more concerned with luxury brand and saving to buy it. This will help me with some of my research that I do on American culture.

Of course not all of what I say is correct, because it is my observation of things from 1 visit to usa and internet. Anyway, no need to be haters, I'm just here to know what this is about, not here to start a big argument on the web. razz
August 31, 2010 @ 11:34 PM
BKBROWN

The brands you mentioned as "interesting brands","real classics" are for the most part "fashion houses" started by individuals who are skilled or self-taught fashion designers, milliners, pattern makers, drapers, shoe makers, etc. or specialized in luxury goods/accessories. Nothing wrong with these brands but "some" are "elitist" to some degree and have the major $$$/Yen/

̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏ ̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏ karmaloop 20% off repcode: WAVES lllllllllllllllllll https://soundcloud.com/bkbrown

August 31, 2010 @ 11:51 PM
TH9

thanks vitatim and nems, that really explains things to me and is helpful smile

To me, I think the fashion culture is different, I think on whole developed asian countries are more concerned with luxury brand and saving to buy it. This will help me with some of my research that I do on American culture.

Of course not all of what I say is correct, because it is my observation of things from 1 visit to usa and internet. Anyway, no need to be haters, I'm just here to know what this is about, not here to start a big argument on the web. razz

I believe what you say is very true. I'm from Taiwan, and kids / young adults are walking around with stuff like $1000 Levi's fenoms, just chilling. In the states it's rare to find people who know what raw denim is / would pay over $40 for jeans. In Taiwan, every moderately wealthy woman has a LV bag... it's like a fucking epidemic over there. People think paying $100 for a tshirt is perfectly acceptable (Neighborhood Bape Undercover etc). Doesn't help that in the urban areas of Taiwan the income is comparable to the states while the cost of living is significantly lower, so young people often have more money than they can spend. I've heard that this is even more true in Hong Kong / Singapore / Japan.
September 1, 2010 @ 03:51 AM
jmillionthtime

bottom line fashion is appreciated differently in every culture. louis vuitton btw, sells their "monogram" on just about any purse,luggage,belt,tie,scarf & more and still is considered fashionable, so streetwear using their logo should be treated similar (as long as its "dope" of course,hah). "dope" is slang, you may not usually use that term according to your region or culture, just like i would never think of saying "húli jīng"/fox spirit to call someone a slut. hope this helps
September 1, 2010 @ 06:42 AM
Hunter

this has pretty much run its course.

This topic is closed, replies are no longer accepted.