Get 15% Off + Free Shipping on Orders over $150 - Use Code: EPICSUMMER
May 14, 2010 @ 06:20 PM
BarryGoods

Sup my fellow hypebeasters,

Just wondering your take on this. I'm sure its been posted before but not sure what consumers really like in terms of the two.

for recap.

Plastisol - plastic ink printed on a shirt. (usually what you've been seeing all these years, standard)

Discharge - a dye that makes the image on a shirt (doesn't really feel like theres anything on the shirt).

Cheers!

P R O V E R S E | WWW.PROVERSE.COM | INSTAGRAM.COM/PROVERSEGOODS | PPP

May 14, 2010 @ 06:29 PM
K [X] Z I

Plastisol if it is done right. Discharge and water-based inks really start to fade over time. Johnny Cupcakes does a really good job with screen printing. It's almost as if it's plastisol & water-based. It has a soft feel like water-based ink, but you can feel the plastisol slightly. Just get plastisol and add about 10% soft-hand to non-white colors for a good feel.
May 14, 2010 @ 09:04 PM
K [X] Z I

Sup my fellow hypebeasters,

Just wondering your take on this. I'm sure its been posted before but not sure what consumers really like in terms of the two.

for recap.

Plastisol - plastic ink printed on a shirt. (usually what you've been seeing all these years, standard)

Discharge - a dye that makes the image on a shirt (doesn't really feel like theres anything on the shirt).

Cheers!

Actually... I thought "Heat-transfers" are the most common in the market.
May 14, 2010 @ 09:17 PM
futatsumitsu

ill stick to my iron-on's ty.
nah jk but srsly there are far more popular methods than these 2.
i prefer hand made screen prints myself, lets you know someone really put work into it.
May 14, 2010 @ 09:22 PM
K [X] Z I

Z I;2491121']Actually... I thought "Heat-transfers" are the most common in the market.

My bad, I got process methods mixed up with types of materials. Plastisol can be used w/ both heat transfers and screen printing, but the heat transfer process is the most common.
May 14, 2010 @ 09:34 PM
K [X] Z I

ill stick to my iron-on's ty.
nah jk but srsly there are far more popular methods than these 2.
i prefer hand made screen prints myself, lets you know someone really put work into it.

There aren't too many processes actually. Maybe 5-6 ways. The only ones I'm familiar with are:

Screen printing
DTG (Direct to garment)
iron-on (this is crap)
heat transfer

He is asking about which inks are better to use, not process. He is most likely going to use screen printing (assuming that he wants optimal quality). Screen printing has a list of inks you can use including plastisol and discharge. You are right about the "lets you know someone really put work into it". It's a very annoying... long... tedious process and in the end... if you eff'd up somewhere... it's frustrating. However, if in the end, you get it right... it's like the greatest feeling of accomplishment.
May 14, 2010 @ 10:06 PM
futatsumitsu

Z I;2491164']There aren't too many processes actually. Maybe 5-6 ways. The only ones I'm familiar with are:

Screen printing
DTG (Direct to garment)
iron-on (this is crap)
heat transfer

He is asking about which inks are better to use, not process. He is most likely going to use screen printing (assuming that he wants optimal quality). Screen printing has a list of inks you can use including plastisol and discharge. You are right about the "lets you know someone really put work into it". It's a very annoying... long... tedious process and in the end... if you eff'd up somewhere... it's frustrating. However, if in the end, you get it right... it's like the greatest feeling of accomplishment.

you sir are dead on.
i should have assumed he meant screen printing.
May 15, 2010 @ 12:32 AM
K [X] Z I

Hey F033X, are you in the streetwear game???
May 15, 2010 @ 12:46 AM
futatsumitsu

me?
nah i just enjoy wearin' it!
why do you ask?
May 15, 2010 @ 12:49 AM
K [X] Z I

Just curious. It's good to know people w/ common interests.

Please login first to reply.