March 30, 2010 @ 04:17 PM
BarryGoods

Hey guys,

My name is Barry and I recently started a clothing brand from the ground up. The company is called Proverse and I've been working on it for about a year in development and three months going live.

Now this post isn't about my clothing company (however if you want to check it out feel free) but more of an invitation to ask questions you might have on starting up a clothing brand.

I know when I first started, I had a lot of questions and many of them went unanswered. But by no means am I saying that you shouldn't go out and look for answers and figure them out yourselves. Doing that only makes you better in my opinion. But for those questions you might have trouble figuring out, maybe I can shed some light.

So yeah. Ask and I will do my best to answer anything you might be curious about or inquiring.
I am still learning so please feel free to enlighten me if you have a better approach or suggestion that trumps mine. Cool.

Peace,

Barry

(Disclaimer: I am no expert nor have I ever presented that I am)

P R O V E R S E | WWW.PROVERSE.COM | INSTAGRAM.COM/PROVERSEGOODS | PPP

March 31, 2010 @ 11:12 AM
Wbot

Mad props! I feel new clothing brands are always good! I will def start one myself, but first I have to do my studies...
March 31, 2010 @ 11:49 AM
JD_May

Mad props! I feel new clothing brands are always good!

Somebody hasn't heard of Fuel Star.
March 31, 2010 @ 12:34 PM
dresdg

Im looking to get a foot in the industry, but not so much with my own clothing line, i just want to work my way up with an established one.

I need to build my resume though, any suggestions? Any college courses i could take?
March 31, 2010 @ 01:00 PM
Stackwell

Thats very generous of you , the community appreciates it smile
March 31, 2010 @ 01:47 PM
BarryGoods

Im looking to get a foot in the industry, but not so much with my own clothing line, i just want to work my way up with an established one.

I need to build my resume though, any suggestions? Any college courses i could take?

I think your best bet would try to intern at one of your favorite labels so that you can get a foot in the door. Build a relationship because majority of the time its not what you know its who.

Are you trying to become like a designer or what positions are you looking for?

March 31, 2010 @ 07:54 PM
HYPELO

how do you get funding to start up a clothing line?
March 31, 2010 @ 08:09 PM
BarryGoods

how do you get funding to start up a clothing line?

That question is a little more difficult to answer. For me I had a regular 9 to 5 and did a lot of saving.

I have a few other friends who started up by joining forces and splitting costs. Others by getting investors.

It definitely does cost a lot to start but if you plan correctly and budget yourself well then it shouldn't be too much of a problem.

All i can say is get a business plan and get a job and start saving. One trick that worked for me was every time I hit up a bar I ordered water and the money that I was going to purchase with was saved.

Good luck.

April 1, 2010 @ 05:25 AM
dresdg

I suppose thats where i am a little ignorant or nieve. Id love to design and i have in the past but i have never been able to draw so i find that weakens me in that area a lot.

I would love to intern but i am from the UK and a lot of my favorite labels are from the states, so to studying is a better option for me.

So is it design courses? Business courses?
April 1, 2010 @ 10:10 AM
karakter1

what are your thoughts on Supreme?
April 1, 2010 @ 10:47 AM
BarryGoods

I suppose thats where i am a little ignorant or nieve. Id love to design and i have in the past but i have never been able to draw so i find that weakens me in that area a lot.

I would love to intern but i am from the UK and a lot of my favorite labels are from the states, so to studying is a better option for me.

I'm not exactly sure what you want to do still. It's really about studying what you are passionate about.

You can go the design route and become a great graphics designer or you can get a business degree or you can study to do merchandise. I mean there are tons of things to study but nothing really to guarantee a foot in the door.

April 1, 2010 @ 10:47 AM
BarryGoods

what are your thoughts on Supreme?

I like it!

April 1, 2010 @ 05:42 PM
dresdg

Haha sorry bro i have been vague. I would like to design clothes (which i have done in the past) but i can't draw and i have always felt that it would catch up with me. Are there any design courses aimed at clothing?
April 2, 2010 @ 04:52 AM
BarryGoods

Haha sorry bro i have been vague. I would like to design clothes (which i have done in the past) but i can't draw and i have always felt that it would catch up with me. Are there any design courses aimed at clothing?

I think your best bet is to go to a fashion institute to learn how to make clothes. At a regular university, I doubt they would provide courses that would enable you to do fashion besides graphic design.

April 4, 2010 @ 09:33 PM
thelegitimacy

clothing and fashion in general are and always will be a changing entity. you can't go to school simply to learn how to "design clothes". yeah, you can go to school to learn design (color theory, typography, yada yada yada) yeah you can go to school to learn the clothing/fashion market. but one doesn't just learn how to "design clothes", or everyone and their brother would be in this thing..
April 4, 2010 @ 09:37 PM
scrm

If you know about fabric painting clothes, what's a good brand of fabric paint?
April 5, 2010 @ 09:43 AM
JLK

in case anyone is wondering about the proverse brand, i ordered 2 proverse tees on friday and got them today. CA to MA; very fast shipping and perfect fit

thanks barry
April 6, 2010 @ 05:27 PM
HYPELO

how do you find a manufacturer? do you still have a normal 9-5 job or is proverse your full time job now?
April 6, 2010 @ 06:32 PM
BarryGoods

in case anyone is wondering about the proverse brand, i ordered 2 proverse tees on friday and got them today. CA to MA; very fast shipping and perfect fit

thanks barry

You're welcome. Thanks for your support!

April 6, 2010 @ 06:35 PM
BarryGoods

how do you find a manufacturer? do you still have a normal 9-5 job or is proverse your full time job now?

Manufacturer for what exactly? There are many things that are involved in creating something. For instance, a shirt, you would need to find a manufacturer of the blank garment you want. Then you would either do your own printing or sub it to a Commercial Printer. I use GladRagsInk, Vincent is a homie!

I worked 9-5 for a while, about 6 years. I just recently stopped to do this full time!

April 6, 2010 @ 06:36 PM
BarryGoods

If you know about fabric painting clothes, what's a good brand of fabric paint?

Hey Luchi,

Sorry I don't know much about Fabric paint as I never really use them. Anyone on Hypebeast Care to shed some light on the matter?

April 6, 2010 @ 06:45 PM
Scotty

I think what u are looking for is called product development... Unless u want to be a fashion designer? Fashion designer u cant learn.. i attended a fashion institute(not for Design) but for visual Communication.. The fashion design students are wasting there money cause its your imagination thats knowledge to be a fashion designer.. I suggest product development cause u will learn everything from: Sewing, marketing & branding, patterns and fabric, intro to graphic design, fashion sketching(big plus)... This is for people who want to start a company or work within a company..
April 8, 2010 @ 05:59 PM
BarryGoods

/bump incase

Proverse Team
Stickers?

April 9, 2010 @ 04:42 PM
jtag

what blank tanks do you print on?
April 10, 2010 @ 01:14 PM
GreenYoda

Hi BarryGoods!

Im also interested to start my own label. But may i know how u managed to find manufacturers?

im looking for high quality ones like those found in Japan.

And am looking into designing or manufacturing shirts/dresses and not just tshirts.
April 12, 2010 @ 05:41 PM
BarryGoods

what blank tanks do you print on?

I've tried a multiple amount of tanks to really no avail. Some fall apart, some are too hard. For now I stay with AA because its soft. I'm not sure how street it is, but wearing soft tank tops is usually a must for me. I'll keep you posted when I find that real soft one but sturdy.

April 12, 2010 @ 05:49 PM
BarryGoods

Hi BarryGoods!

Im also interested to start my own label. But may i know how u managed to find manufacturers?

im looking for high quality ones like those found in Japan.

And am looking into designing or manufacturing shirts/dresses and not just tshirts.

That's a little more difficult to answer.

To do cut n sew majority of the ones done in Japan are usually done in China. Actually most of the products are done in Big manufacturing countries such as Korea, China, and Cambodia.

Finding them isn't easy. Actually I take that back. It's really easy (so to speak), but I'm sure you want to use the same ones as the ones the Japanese brands use correct? That I cannot answer as there are many manufacturers who do New Era Type hats, many who do soft tees, many who do sweaters, and so forth. You will just have to go there and find it. Which, for many of us, is hard to do since we dont have that big cash flow and reputation just yet.

April 12, 2010 @ 08:50 PM
Early Grave

I'm just going to ask, since no one else is saying anything about it. Do you really think it's the best idea to simply put some letters on a t-shirt that spell out a name that nobody has ever heard of? As your first release? Like...the letters are not even stylized in any particular fashion. You know? What is the thought/meaning/direction behind that?

Not hating. Just asking.
April 13, 2010 @ 04:09 PM
BarryGoods

I'm just going to ask, since no one else is saying anything about it. Do you really think it's the best idea to simply put some letters on a t-shirt that spell out a name that nobody has ever heard of? As your first release? Like...the letters are not even stylized in any particular fashion. You know? What is the thought/meaning/direction behind that?

Not hating. Just asking.

That's a fair question. And by all means I take all critics and considerations.

As for my first design. It was the 3 x Proverse. I went ahead and did that design because I wanted people to know who I was. The style is something I originally came up with and trademarked. I wanted it to be sleek and stylized. Sophisticated and fresh to wear.

Should I have done branding? Well its a choice many of us will face. I understand that by doing branding, know one will ever grasp what your company is really about unless 1) they read into your brand 2) they know who you are (friends, family, etc) or 3) been in the game long enough to have your brand represent which ever genre through association (ie) skaters who wear it or hip hop heads who wear it, making it a skate brand or street brand, etc.

I went ahead and did branding first. That was my direction because I really believe in my brands name and what we represent. (the pros of being who you are and doing your art)

Sure alot of my items have branding, but that doesn't mean I will be weeding out doing illustrations and designs. We will definitely have illustrations and artworks and pieces to really round out the edges, in the near future.

Thanks for your question. I definitely needed that!

Bless.

April 17, 2010 @ 02:39 AM
GreenYoda

That's a little more difficult to answer.

To do cut n sew majority of the ones done in Japan are usually done in China. Actually most of the products are done in Big manufacturing countries such as Korea, China, and Cambodia.

Finding them isn't easy. Actually I take that back. It's really easy (so to speak), but I'm sure you want to use the same ones as the ones the Japanese brands use correct? That I cannot answer as there are many manufacturers who do New Era Type hats, many who do soft tees, many who do sweaters, and so forth. You will just have to go there and find it. Which, for many of us, is hard to do since we dont have that big cash flow and reputation just yet.

Thanks Barrygoods!

Do you have any idea which part of China are the factories located at? Shenzhen? Shanghai? Beijing?

I'm singaporean chinese, and i can make a trip down to visit them and if everything works out ok, i can help you guys out!

Please login first to reply.