Get an Extra 20% Off Sale Items - Use code: EXTRA20
May 21, 2009 @ 07:31 AM
eski173

Hmmmm, What do you think the future holds for fashion? There are more brands popping up day by day than ever before.
Do you think this is f@cking up fashion or bettering it? I think it's kinda watering down underground fashion. Certain sh!t should be preserved.
What do you think this will do for the future? In 5-10 years what will be your fresh?
May 21, 2009 @ 07:43 AM
Shifty

right now, fashion is being defined by people who are hyping up a certain brand or item. sadly, people are buying stuff they dont like but for its hype value and as for the new brands popping up everyday, imo its a blessing cos it will level the playin field for those who really care about fashion in the first place by tryin out new things, in other words innovation will come from the new brands regardless of the hype. sure, certain shit should be preserved but not stopping the progression
May 21, 2009 @ 07:53 AM
eski173

right now, fashion is being defined by people who are hyping up a certain brand or item. sadly, people are buying stuff they dont like but for its hype value and as for the new brands popping up everyday, imo its a blessing cos it will level the playin field for those who really care about fashion in the first place by tryin out new things, in other words innovation will come from the new brands regardless of the hype. sure, certain shit should be preserved but not stopping the progression

Nicely put. I agree with you. I try to rock what I like and not just cause it's "hype". Some brands have some dope sh!t and then some brands don't deserve to be where they're at.
May 21, 2009 @ 07:58 AM
eski173

It's kinda crazy because skating and hip hop fashion have always kinda gone hand in hand. Early 90's when I use to skate, everything was baggy in skating and hip hop. Nowadays it's that tight ass fit in hip hop and skating lol. Not my style but hey do you.
May 21, 2009 @ 08:17 AM
fast1

hmm in 5-10 years time i think fashion wear will be greatly influenced by our natural environment... so increased temp might lead to clothes tailored to more cooling wear...
May 21, 2009 @ 09:47 AM
elusion

amen shifty
May 21, 2009 @ 09:48 AM
elusion

yesssssss
May 21, 2009 @ 12:26 PM
Eugene K.

I think the key-word is diversity.

Whether you like to admit it or not, everybody grows up and with it so does their style. You can hate Yeezy but he is super-influential and the man has had the chance to incorporate both prototypical streetwear with a more refined aesthetic. As well... while workwear and the whole Americana movement is nice and a trend that will pass without any real hate, the question begs to be asked... if you own a flannel today, in three years will you still be adding flannel to that collection? I'd think not, I do agree that timeless aesthetics are important but within reason.

On the whole, look at your shoe collection in the near future and I have a feeling it won't include just your typical retro athletic footwear.
May 21, 2009 @ 01:02 PM
Scotty

^ Very well put eugune... i agree! Also if u are looking at the fashion world as a whole, everything is being replicated and it always has but the designers just throw in the modern times to it, to make fit to the time period! For the future of fashion, fashion is going nowhere until we stop wearing clothes. Its just going to keep changing and changing from trends to trends. Like eugune said your style will grow differently while time goes on and u grow.
May 21, 2009 @ 01:11 PM
JKISSI

Eugene is right

I always like to embark on this type of topic. My style has changed drastically in the fewyears I have been into this "fashion" thing. It's all how you percieve things to be , I dont want to be talk about the "Trends" of the next 5-10 years. I think everyone is developing a sense of style , so it cant hurt at all. I would like to further explain on things , but I have to run to work.
May 21, 2009 @ 01:45 PM
leeto

What people are wearing today, is what you'll see people wearing during the next few years.
May 21, 2009 @ 10:56 PM
eski173

What people are wearing today, is what you'll see people wearing during the next few years.

That's a great observation! How long did it take to come up with that?
May 21, 2009 @ 11:13 PM
eski173

I hear you, but I just want some opinions......
Only time will tell.

But for the time being, let's all sit back and enjoy the ride?

No really, just refer to anything historical and you'll see that most things aren't taken for what they are in present times, but the impression they've left, when it's all said and done.

With that, while I think it's important to observe "fashion", let's not get too carried away as to become researchers or fortune tellers. Enjoy the phase, enjoy your joy... in time, all things shall past.

As long as you get a bit of that.
May 22, 2009 @ 02:17 AM
Brooklyn_718

Eugene hit the nail on the head.

Well I've grown a lot style wise I'm more into timeless fashion than the trendy crap. Therefore, people like me that are more into the timeless style are going to have pieces in their ward robe now they can wear 5-10 years from now so my future will be great.

Brands are popping up but this is not hurting fashion at all this is helping it. We need more brands ideas creativity. The way I see it is fashion is art and too many paintings could never spoil a gallery. There will always be that one painting you don't like that someone else loves. Same for these new brands I wouldn't really buy anything from them unless I really really really like what they have to offer. However, someone else would buy it to be noticed to follow the latest trends. To sum this up there is a place in the market for these brands some will fail some will succeed it will never hurt fashion.
May 22, 2009 @ 08:16 AM
eski173

Nicely put, but I think right now their are too many followers in fashion. Too many trying to be like the brands that are on top of their game. I'd like to see a little more originality from the newer brands. I look at it like if your gonna get noticed in the fashion world you have to have that something that other brands don't offer. In reference to the art gallery, fashion is kinda like an art gallery.......
Eugene hit the nail on the head.

Well I've grown a lot style wise I'm more into timeless fashion than the trendy crap. Therefore, people like me that are more into the timeless style are going to have pieces in their ward robe now they can wear 5-10 years from now so my future will be great.

Brands are popping up but this is not hurting fashion at all this is helping it. We need more brands ideas creativity. The way I see it is fashion is art and too many paintings could never spoil a gallery. There will always be that one painting you don't like that someone else loves. Same for these new brands I wouldn't really buy anything from them unless I really really really like what they have to offer. However, someone else would buy it to be noticed to follow the latest trends. To sum this up there is a place in the market for these brands some will fail some will succeed it will never hurt fashion.
May 22, 2009 @ 01:56 PM
Eugene K.

To develop my previous post a bit more... one concern is how long this workwear trend can/will last. Like I've said before, nobody will look book and be like wow... I can't believe I wore that since it was a renaissance of sorts unlike let's say all-over print hoodies and bright colors.

As I see... how many plain shirts can you buy/own/wear everyday. In an ideal wardrobe (provided it fits your style), your Engineered Garments (a little boring for my taste but I think they are representative of a whole genre), Henrik Vibskov/Rick Owens, Supreme/HUF, Nike, Alden, Danner, Red Wings etc etc... could all co-exist together in one closet... maybe not worn together each day but mix & matching isn't out of the question (synergy is a misnomer for the most part I think).

But the other thing is that... while we may admire various brands that push the enveloppe of fashion but aren't totally unwearable despite a slight avant garde nature, they are undeniably quite expensive and harder to develop a wardrobe out of which sucks sometimes. I'm sure there's some crazier pieces but it's hard to justify when you can't wear it everyday and its outlook on the timeless scale is a bit harder to see foretell. I like some of the graphics/cuts of Vibskov but the shit is relatively expensive and you can't be assured you can wear it down the line.

I sort of repeated myself lol
May 23, 2009 @ 10:33 AM
eski173

It's like a cycle. The tight fit is back from the 80's from the rock genre and now it's mixing with skaters and hiphop.
June 21, 2009 @ 02:42 PM
Bogi

Creativity is the way forward
I think it is cool that there are so many new brands poppin up everywhere. The financial crisis has been good for the creativity and for upcoming designers and for the established brands to sharpen up. Even though a lot of brands are born only a few of them will survive.
June 21, 2009 @ 02:46 PM
owensA

^^that's actually quite true. It goes for pretty much all industries. During boom times, investors will put money into even shitty companies, while in recessions, only strong companies that truly deserve it are capable of attracting investors.
June 21, 2009 @ 07:58 PM
chaobro

I think its actually the opposite,
times of economic crisis usually end up in less 'out there' and conservative pieces
June 21, 2009 @ 08:22 PM
mdc021

^cosign with that. in times of economic downturn, companies will be less willing to spend their money creating more out there pieces that would be viewed as creative or innovative at other times. instead, they need to put out classic product that will draw in the everyday customer. people right now aren't looking to throw their extra cash into a piece they might only wear one or two times, no matter how dope it might look. so as many before me have said, the classic simple style seems to be whats here to stay for the next 5 or so years (in my wardrobe at least)
June 21, 2009 @ 08:27 PM
Eugene K.

There's two schools of thought out there...

In hard economic times and regarding whether conservative fashion comes forward or not while others go against the grain, tough call. Hard to say whether those who have been liberal in their design aesthetic simply stick out more, or they actually, consciously make more of an effort to do bolder/"avant-garde-ish" designs.

For me I think they might just get pinned as being "more creative" in a time when things are being stressed as the need to be commercial, although good/bad economy, their aesthetic might be pretty much the same. Those who do shit on that next level seemingly have an attitude of I don't give a shit and I'll do what I want which can be beneficial given the fact that you're one of a kind and catering to a niche market.
June 22, 2009 @ 03:39 PM
Flatline101

the future of fashion is up to you truthfully. Think about it, not much fahsion these days, well i mean if u walk around outside. Fashion right now is wat a majority of people are doing, and thats how i look at it as. I dont mean that in a good way either. I think the future of fashion should be created by you, be your own fashion, yea u might do wat a couple people doing, but atleast not a majority. But this mainstream fashion is down the drain, all kids wear is levis (not fenoms), and damn hundreds tees and sbs. Thats not fashion thats called played out, u really cant change the future of fashion itself, but u can change the future of your own fashion real talk.
June 22, 2009 @ 03:56 PM
chex

the future of fashion is up to you truthfully. Think about it, not much fahsion these days, well i mean if u walk around outside. Fashion right now is wat a majority of people are doing, and thats how i look at it as. I dont mean that in a good way either. I think the future of fashion should be created by you, be your own fashion, yea u might do wat a couple people doing, but atleast not a majority. But this mainstream fashion is down the drain, all kids wear is levis (not fenoms), and damn hundreds tees and sbs. Thats not fashion thats called played out, u really cant change the future of fashion itself, but u can change the future of your own fashion real talk.

qft
June 22, 2009 @ 04:17 PM
206KNIGHT

Death to Fresh
Hopefully outfits influenced by KANYE will be dead.
June 23, 2009 @ 01:01 AM
acidline

In 5 years, I bet a large percentage of the people posting now will have a completely different style, probably nothing even close to streetwear.
June 24, 2009 @ 05:50 AM
Eugene K.

In 5 years, I bet a large percentage of the people posting now will have a completely different style, probably nothing even close to streetwear.

I don't think that's the case necessarily.

Two things are hard(er) to change.

-the desire to be conspicuous and noticeable will lead you down a certain path of fashion
-budget/disposable income

#2 has the chance to change but it might only rise in linear fashion. When you're 16 you have $300 to spend on clothes, no rent/no food, when you're 25 you still only have $300 to spend on clothes cause you have rent/car payments etc etc.
October 29, 2009 @ 06:53 PM
Alex Glass

I have a gut feeling that fur coats (probably faux however) will make a big comeback for women

and hopefully this faux leather craze dies out. It was cool at first but now it's getting ridiculous. Too many people are hopping on that train, not that that's a bad thing but it kinda spoils the novelty value for me.
January 2, 2010 @ 01:08 AM
Jirugi

I don't think much will change until entirely new pieces of clothing develop. Some people will favor timeless/utilitarian clothing and some will follow trends, but that is nothing new. It comes down to lifestyle

“There are two kinds of spurs, my friend. Those that come in by the door; and those that come in by the window.”

January 3, 2010 @ 12:07 AM
moviesxkicks

Also it truly depends upon the stars of the world. Look now at the specific people kids look up to, and that will help show where they derive certain styles. Kanye's fans you may see rocking yeezys, Pharell's fans BBC/Ice Cream, but less literally, specific Kanye Influences recently are super glasses, and denim jackets. The way style and fashion works, is when innovation is not present, things re appear under the guise of retro, and then certain people either make that style popular or not, (i.e Kanye with the denim jacket, the denim Jacket is old and tons of people wore it who weren't influenced by Kanye, but many kanye fans or people who saw him wear it picked up on it.) Or Shutter Shades. For the Future of Fashion, the question presents itself, who will be the next Ye or Jay or Beckham? In time these stars will lose their appeal and the next generation will step up and inherent their stardom, and they ultimately will influence the world of fashion. It is honestly hard to predict.

This is just one element, I mean, Fashion Houses, random individuals, the economic and literal global climate all play large roles in style, not just celebrities, I was merely pointing out that they play a large role.

Please login first to reply.