Labor Day - Enjoy 25% Off Your Order. Use code: LABORDAY25
October 14, 2008 @ 01:26 PM
BlindFutur3

Apple announced today at a conference in Cupertino that a new line of Macbook and Macbook Pros were to be released. The new Pro line will feature a Nvidia 9400M Graphics Chipset and a 9600M GT (Both will be in the MBP) You can choose to use the 9400m (5hours battery) or the 9600M GT in 'turbo mode' (4hours battery)

Everything can be seen live.gizmodo.com/

New Macbook

"These new features on the MacBook, you can get today at $1299 (lower than the $1999 for the MacBook Pro). There are going to be two models. 13.3-inch LED backlit display, 2.0 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 3MB L2 Cache, 2GB 1066MHz DDR3 memory, 9400M GeForce, 160GB hard drive and SuperDrive."

"Second model, $1599, adds 2.4GHz processor, 250GB hard drive and a backlit keyboard."

"The White Plastic Macbook will still run at a lower price of $999"

New Cinema Display

"The 24-inch display has 1920 x 1200 pixel resolution, a Built-in iSight and mic, stereo speakers and a three port USB hub."

The New Cinema Display will run at $899 in November

New Macbook Pro

"It’s going to come in two models. $1999, 15.4-inch LED backlit display. 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo with 3MB L2 Cache, 2GB 1066MHz DDR3 Memory, the two GeForces, 250GB hard drive and SuperDrive.

Second config is $2499. 2.53GHz, 6MB L2 Cache, 4GB memory, 512MB video memory and bigger hard drive."

more images @ live.gizmodo.com/
October 14, 2008 @ 01:54 PM
miz818

fuck steve jobs...everytime i buy something he makes it get outdated real quick.
October 14, 2008 @ 02:01 PM
BlindFutur3

Tell me about it, but luckily my Macbooks fairly old so definitely want a new Macbook Pro. These things are beautiful.
October 14, 2008 @ 02:32 PM
Citizen-16657

Dude i am a big Apple fanboy but as of late they are just behind the 8 ball, no blu ray drives, no hdcp compatible monitors............smh

FUCK U STEVE JOBS!!!!!
October 14, 2008 @ 02:40 PM
BlindFutur3

Jobs was questioned on the lack of BluRay inclusion.

Jobs: “Blu-ray is a bag of hurt. I don’t mean from the consumer point of view. It’s great to watch movies, but the licensing is so complex. We’re waiting until things settle down, and waiting until Blu-ray takes off before we burden our customers with the cost of licensing.”

To be quite honest BluRay or HDDVD have never bothered me. I'm much more pushing for Digital Distribution to take off.
October 14, 2008 @ 03:09 PM
Citizen-16657

Jobs was questioned on the lack of BluRay inclusion.

Jobs: “Blu-ray is a bag of hurt. I don’t mean from the consumer point of view. It’s great to watch movies, but the licensing is so complex. We’re waiting until things settle down, and waiting until Blu-ray takes off before we burden our customers with the cost of licensing.”

To be quite honest BluRay or HDDVD have never bothered me. I'm much more pushing for Digital Distribution to take off.

Only reason why he questioning it is so he can sell BR movies off Itunes or thru Apple TV(cause they are trying to link up with Blockbuster to license the BR's thru), he is trying to work a corner of the market so he can get a chunk of that money, that's why he is holding back on BR, why would he want to pay for licensing if he gets no real return other then selling drives? Look at Sony, LG and others, they get to sell players and get to make there money back off those, for him to just sell a drive he wouldn't see squat, but if he can work his magic he can sell drives and sell movies and make a hell of a lot more!!! Steve is getting greedy, it is not about what the consumer wants anymore with Apple, it more about how Apple wants to get more money by screwing the consumer and almost monopolizing the market.

Shit look the new Cinema Displays are only compatible with Display Port capable units(only the new macbook and macbook pro's have that) so in turn you ever have to buy some adapter(dam proprietary cables) or buy a new video card to run it............how lame is that shit. Apple is taking a step backwards by doing that, thought they got over that shit in the mid 2000's.

Shady bastard, I SEE YOU STEVE JOBS!!!!!!
October 14, 2008 @ 03:16 PM
dynamiteden

oh dick! should i exchange my macbook pro for the new one?
October 14, 2008 @ 03:30 PM
BlindFutur3

I fail to see how Apple not putting a BR player in there machines is 'screwing' the consumer. 'Screwing' them would be not giving them an option, they clearly have the option to buy and play BR through iTunes. Sure a BR drive would be nice but at least there's an option.
October 14, 2008 @ 03:45 PM
Citizen-16657

I fail to see how Apple not putting a BR player in there machines is 'screwing' the consumer. 'Screwing' them would be not giving them an option, they clearly have the option to buy and play BR through iTunes. Sure a BR drive would be nice but at least there's an option.

How are they screwing the consumer? it's called Display Port-(taken from Macrumors)-I actually did some research online about the differences between displayport and DVI, and it seems that a simple cable probably will not be enough to adapt the signal. The digital signal coming from displayport is different than what is sent from DVI, so a cable wouldn't be able to make the conversion...you'd probably need some kind of inline converter box to convert the signal from DVI to Displayport

They clearly have an option? Leopard doesnt even support BR, Apple doesn't offer any BR drives, and no Apple displays are HDCP compatible, EVEN THE NEW ONES THEY RELEASED TODAY!!!!!!
October 14, 2008 @ 04:03 PM
BlindFutur3

How are they screwing the consumer? it's called Display Port-(taken from Macrumors)-I actually did some research online about the differences between displayport and DVI, and it seems that a simple cable probably will not be enough to adapt the signal. The digital signal coming from displayport is different than what is sent from DVI, so a cable wouldn't be able to make the conversion...you'd probably need some kind of inline converter box to convert the signal from DVI to Displayport

They clearly have an option? Leopard doesnt even support BR, Apple doesn't offer any BR drives, and no Apple displays are HDCP compatible, EVEN THE NEW ONES THEY RELEASED TODAY!!!!!!

True Display Port is ridiculous but I was referring to HD content. It does not matter if Apple offer a BR Drive when Apple users have the option of getting their HD content off of iTunes. If Apple were 'screwing' the consumer there would be no such option. It's not as if we (Mac users)are unable to watch/purchase/play HD content. Due to this there is really no need for a BR drive right now, we have access to HD content (as mentioned with iTunes)and the displays are capable of 720p. A BR drive would just give the option of burning to BR or playing from a BR disc giving very little benefit besides being able to play your BR movies on both your Mac and a BR Player.
October 14, 2008 @ 04:04 PM
Electric Devil

im not really impressed by niether of those macs considering the technology thats out today that stuff is kinda outdated for being called "new"
October 14, 2008 @ 04:22 PM
Citizen-16657

It's not as if we (Mac users)are unable to watch/purchase/play HD content

Last time i checked OSX wasnt BR or HD compatible, so how can you view 1080p or even 720p on a non HDCP compatible screen when the OSX doesn't even read that data?(don't give me some BS about runnning windows to view it either, we are talking in the realm of Mac running apple OSX, not another). What you are telling me is I can download a blu ray player and then watch it in less then 720P, doesn't that defeat the purpose of HD or BR outside of storage size?

You can download all the HD content you want from itunes to play on what? oh my bad, to transfer to your AppleTV that is hooked up to your HDTV.......so now where does viewing HD/BR movies come in to use on your Apple which doesn't support it........

im not really impressed by niether of those macs considering the technology thats out today that stuff is kinda outdated for being called "new"

COSIGN, thank you sir, Steve Jobs is forgetting that they were the leader, now they are off in the corner playing with some BS that no one is using or could care to use, anyone remember a ADC connector or the PCI Express card which was supposed to take over the world, that at this rate my become the industry standard by 2014....
October 14, 2008 @ 04:25 PM
Citizen-16657

COSIGN, thank you sir, Steve Jobs is forgetting that they were the leader, now they are off in the corner playing with some BS that no one is using or could care to use, anyone remember a ADC connector or the PCI Express card which was supposed to take over the world, that at this rate my become the industry standard by 2014....
October 14, 2008 @ 04:34 PM
N1QUE

[Rihanna] Please. [/Rihanna]

Fuck Blu-Ray.. you dont buy one of these macbooks solely to watch BR, sure the option would be nice but if the lack of BR support dictates whether or not the macbook is an instant cop then you PROBALY need to reevaluate what your needs are.

If I want Blu-Ray, I'll get a BR player for my home theatre where I'll get the most out of that shit with my Bose speakers and overall setup. I could give two shits whether or not my macbook which will solely be used for school purposes supports BR.

Anyways the knock on Apple is getting old.. the new models are mostly redesigns anyways with slight upgrades. No one cares about the specs, its all about the look and the ability to bust out that macbook when your in Lecture knowing that everyone in that room wants what you have sitting in front of you.

It's all hype.. nd frankly, I want one razz
October 14, 2008 @ 04:38 PM
BlindFutur3

Well my Macbook displays 720p and with current and older Macbooks you have the option of hooking up to a TV or Monitor with DVI! With these newer Macbooks the Display Port obviously makes this difficult and any BR drive would be useless due to the Display Port!
October 14, 2008 @ 04:49 PM
Citizen-16657

[Rihanna] Please. [/Rihanna]

Fuck Blu-Ray.. you dont buy one of these macbooks solely to watch BR, sure the option would be nice but if the lack of BR support dictates whether or not the macbook is an instant cop then you PROBALY need to reevaluate what your needs are.

If I want Blu-Ray, I'll get a BR player for my home theatre where I'll get the most out of that shit with my Bose speakers and overall setup. I could give two shits whether or not my macbook which will solely be used for school purposes supports BR.

Anyways the knock on Apple is getting old.. the new models are mostly redesigns anyways with slight upgrades. No one cares about the specs, its all about the look and the ability to bust out that macbook when your in Lecture knowing that everyone in that room wants what you have sitting in front of you.

It's all hype.. nd frankly, I want one razz

Never said macbook, i was talkin Mac Pro, using it for video and photo editing, so yeah...........
October 14, 2008 @ 04:55 PM
Citizen-16657

Well my Macbook displays 720p and with current and older Macbooks you have the option of hooking up to a TV or Monitor with DVI! With these newer Macbooks the Display Port obviously makes this difficult and any BR drive would be useless due to the Display Port!

Wow.......so you are telling me your macbook plays 720P? and once again why i got onto the topic, GREAT you can forward BR data to a monitor, but how? oh it has to use the NEW miniDP, oh my bad, how many tv's or monitors have the new miniDP connection? oh none, you say? because it proprietary to APPLE!!!

and you just confirmed my statement by saying BR drive is pointless do to the miniDP, but if it wasn't a miniDP(and used a dvi or vga connection) i could connect it to my mac pro, run windows or use toast 9(still using OSX) and burn the data needed and then play the BR movie with windows onto a monitor that DOESNT require miniDP.....
October 14, 2008 @ 05:04 PM
BlindFutur3

If miniDP weren't there a BR drive would still be pointless. Why use Toast to burn the data to your HD when you can just purchase the HD content off of iTunes! There is no need for a BR drive, it's that simple! With or without miniDP!
October 14, 2008 @ 05:12 PM
randomgrandeur

Very excited about this.

Now I can replace my Macbook. Owww.
October 14, 2008 @ 05:18 PM
Citizen-16657

If miniDP weren't there a BR drive would still be pointless. Why use Toast to burn the data to your HD when you can just purchase the HD content off of iTunes! There is no need for a BR drive, it's that simple! With or without miniDP!

Why would I be burning it to my HD? i am using it to burn BR disc for data storage offsite instead of on a internal or external drive and to make BR dvd's

WHY DO I WANT TO BUY BR MOVIES OFF ITUNES? When I can just rent them, burn them and return them.

Wow my post count goes up, as i feel my IQ dropping do to talking to a child....
October 14, 2008 @ 05:48 PM
BlindFutur3

Buying HD Movies off of iTunes is one way of 'acquiring' them! God knows you can just download them off of any old Warez site or Torrent! Would of thought that assumption would of been made!

I still fail to see how a BR drive is necessary when we can simply view HD content on a HDTV from our Macbooks! Please explain why a BR drive is so necessary. I'd love to hear it!

Just a little thing, please take a look at this little snippet taken from Apples site!

Mini-DisplayPort video out-put with support for DVI, dualDVI, and VGA video output via adapters (sold separately)

Adapter: store.apple.com/us/product/MB570?mco=MTkzODk0NQ

One final thing. If you feel the need to insult my intelligence due to a debate on the internet then your maturity is clearly questionable and you're more of a child than you suggest I am.
October 14, 2008 @ 06:21 PM
magneticman

Man people are stupid.

DisplayPort is basically the computer industry's (VESA) counterpart to HDMI and therefore completely compatible with it's predecessor, DVI.

I actually did some research online about the differences between displayport and DVI, and it seems that a simple cable probably will not be enough to adapt the signal.

You didn't do enough because look what the first result of a "displayport dvi adaptor" google search yielded (as mentioned by BlindFutur3 too):

store.apple.com/us/product/MB570?mco=MTkzODk0NQ

Yes it is expensive, but you should know that if you have purchased any Apple product before.

Wow.......so you are telling me your macbook plays 720P? and once again why i got onto the topic

Last time i checked OSX wasnt BR or HD compatible, so how can you view 1080p or even 720p on a non HDCP compatible screen when the OSX doesn't even read that data?

lmao, you know discs aren't the only way to play HD content right?

www.apple.com/trailers/#section=justhd

i.e. you can download HD movies

If you really want Blu-ray, wait a generation or two. By then the Bluray burners will be affordable (they're still expensive) and probably the new standard - and then Apple won't be hesitant to include it as it will have a larger user base and won't bump up the price.

Or buy an external drive now, but if someone would be so rabid about bluray they'd surely watch it on their home theatre systems and/or own a dedicated player?
October 14, 2008 @ 06:24 PM
BlindFutur3

Thank you! Getting across to Citizen is damn near impossible!
October 14, 2008 @ 06:28 PM
magneticman

Sorry BlindFutur3, i deleted my post because i know i'm going to be dragged into this again and again, and that's not something I want. Shaming a person like that isn't nice anyway.

Take my advice and just leave it, you know you're right so there's no point continuing on with the arguing, trust me you'll waste a lot of your time and without any conclusions in the end if you continue smile
October 14, 2008 @ 06:30 PM
BlindFutur3

Ok, Thanks for the advice. I'll leave it as is. If he can't see he's wrong now, he never will.
October 14, 2008 @ 07:30 PM
IamSean

IMO Apple really screwed consumers over with this update.

The Cinema Display at $900 is such a fucking joke. Don't tell me that it being a 'professional product' justifies the cost either because graphic designers do not use glossy screens. Having a mini DP port is fine as long as it has a the standard HDMI connection available which the monitor doesn't. This monitor is purely money grubbing they're charging an exorbitant amount of money for it and practically forcing you to buy the shitty adapter for HDMI.

Also, it seriously reeks of money grubbing when they don't allow support for BR drives. Don't buy what Jobs is saying about BR being to hard to develop for, this is clearly so they can charge you for HD content on iTunes. The 'HD' content you get from iTunes doesn't even go to 1080p, so it nowhere near the quality of a BR.

Only a few years ago Apple was innovative and they could justify higher prices because they made some great products, but lately they're purposely suffocating any innovation and purposely leaving out common features so they can take more of consumers money.
October 14, 2008 @ 08:07 PM
Riddler

Oh boy, just another thing for people to blow $1500 on that will be obsolete in a month when Apple releases something else.
October 14, 2008 @ 08:33 PM
Citizen-16657

IMO Apple really screwed consumers over with this update.

The Cinema Display at $900 is such a fucking joke. Don't tell me that it being a 'professional product' justifies the cost either because graphic designers do not use glossy screens. Having a mini DP port is fine as long as it has a the standard HDMI connection available which the monitor doesn't. This monitor is purely money grubbing they're charging an exorbitant amount of money for it and practically forcing you to buy the shitty adapter for HDMI.

Also, it seriously reeks of money grubbing when they don't allow support for BR drives. Don't buy what Jobs is saying about BR being to hard to develop for, this is clearly so they can charge you for HD content on iTunes. The 'HD' content you get from iTunes doesn't even go to 1080p, so it nowhere near the quality of a BR.

Only a few years ago Apple was innovative and they could justify higher prices because they made some great products, but lately they're purposely suffocating any innovation and purposely leaving out common features so they can take more of consumers money.

Thank you sir.....
October 15, 2008 @ 05:38 PM
Riddler

That extra display is stupid and is just another way for Apple to milk you of $1000 more. It's like having a computer for your computer.
October 16, 2008 @ 07:00 AM
pnsho

This whole update is nice and all, but knowing Jobs, he'll release another update in about a month or so.

Please login first to reply.