Official How to Make Your Computer Fast, Efficient, and Clean Thread

October 01, 2009 @ 12:45:00
this thread is helpful, so i guess one of my trusty HB brothers or sisters can help me out.

currently im running on windows vista on my dell laptop. now, i have this insane problem with my laptop. first its not reading my ac power adapter, and mostly its not charging my laptop. then when i turn on my laptop, the screen turns to like a 90 degree angle. and finally, it freezes up or shuts off every 15 minutes.

should i throw this in the bag, or can this be fixed?
October 01, 2009 @ 22:11:06
Originally posted by Inactive User
this thread is helpful, so i guess one of my trusty HB brothers or sisters can help me out.

currently im running on windows vista on my dell laptop. now, i have this insane problem with my laptop. first its not reading my ac power adapter, and mostly its not charging my laptop. then when i turn on my laptop, the screen turns to like a 90 degree angle. and finally, it freezes up or shuts off every 15 minutes.

should i throw this in the bag, or can this be fixed?
That is some seriously weird shit. First thing that came to mind is a bad motherboard. If it's still under warranty, send it in (backup your files first). If not, you're going to have to seriously consider whether or not you wanna spend the cash to fix the motherboard or put it towards a new machine (some repairs cost upwards of $500). But before you do anything, backup your files and do a complete, fresh reinstall of Windows and see if that fixes it.

Originally posted by Inactive User
i'm running vista home premium and lately my shits been getting mighty slow ): i do have quite a bit of fileage in my music folder but i don't really want to get rid of that and it really shouldn't be a problem since i have 350+ gigs of free space on a 450 gig. turned on my computer as someone had shut it off using the button on the tower (god dammit) went on my account and the theme i had (nooto) was changed to like Windows 98 steez. tried to change it back, didn't work, now i'm using the default vista aero theme :\ norton 360 also doesn't want to work.
Get that Norton shit off your computer. Use any of the suggested free AV packages in this thread (Avast, etc.) instead. That'll clear alot of problems up. Get CCleaner and run it for excess files and registry entries. Do a defrag, and finally, if the theme was installed, or uses a program to manage it, uninstall all related programs, run CCleaner again, restart and reinstall all of the themes and software.
October 02, 2009 @ 13:52:25
Listen to SprNtrl. He knows what he's saying.

And I noticed a commonality among everybody here: file storage. Everybody has music, docs, and other important shit on their computer.

What happens if it shits out on you one day?

So, I suggest everybody get a solid external hard drive, and backup at least once a week. I currently have 2 1TB externals, and I can't tell you how much trouble they've saved me.

Not only that, you can also download more shit without worrying about clogging up your computer.
October 02, 2009 @ 14:39:05
are their any apps i can get for the mac that deletes all the unnecessary bullshit on my shit to keep it clean, fast and efficient
October 03, 2009 @ 13:27:06
^ Is it slow lately, Will?

If it is, go download Onyx/Cocktail. If it's not, and you use Safari, go to Safari > Reset Safari.

For everything else, just remember to quit the programs if you're not using them (you can tell by the blue light under the program).
October 18, 2009 @ 23:44:28
are their any apps i can get for the mac that deletes all the unnecessary bullshit on my shit to keep it clean, fast and efficient

just delete it all?

FORUM SIGNATURE

November 01, 2009 @ 03:48:26
links
November 21, 2009 @ 10:20:40
so i just downloaded avast! and idk if i need to set anything up, so when i open the dl'ed file it says not enough user rights to continue. wtf?

EDIT: i just realized i have to be on administrator account
December 10, 2009 @ 19:32:12
In theory, my homie has a netflix account. What do you guys recommend to rip/burn/etc dvd's? Pretty much get me a working copy of his DVDs? In theory of course, cuz pirating is illegal.
January 26, 2010 @ 00:21:41
Serious question here, i have a problem with adware on my mini laptop that i use for misc. surfing etc. I've done sweeps with spy bot and it doesnt work. The adware opens internet explorer windows to some site like adserver5.com or CiD etc. I did some "googling" and didnt find much but a very long and labor intensive process that just overall seemed sketchy. If you guys have any alternatives it would be great this is getting really annoying and NOTHING ive tried thus far is working. thanks!
February 16, 2010 @ 03:31:10
need some help. my browser history wont delete and i heard this is probably because of spyware. this has happened to me before, but usually after a couple days it would go back to normal (the sites would delete).

it started about a week ago, at first there was only about 5 sites that wouldnt delete, but for some reason today a lot more got added to the list. if anyone has had this problem or knows how to fix it let me know, this shit is driving me crazy.

also, my yahoo toolbar wont stay installed and my adobe flash player stopped working. the only reason i bring this up is because it started happening today right before the 10 new sites wouldnt delete. im not sure if they are related problems.

im running vista and im using i.e.

EDIT: ok, so i had my yahoo toolbar installed and my adobe flash player working when i first wrote this. then i closed the window and opened a new one and now that shit is gone. my toolbar is completely gone, and when i try to play a video ie says it need to install an add-on (adobe), so i click install and it does nothing. i went to the adobe site but when i click "install adobe flash player" it basically refreshes the page.

EDIT #2: i have no idea what tha fucking problem is. i apparently got tha yahoo toolbar and flash player to work. and i also got the newer set of history (about 10 sites) to delete. but tha 5 original sites still wont delete. any ideas?
February 16, 2010 @ 11:30:23
In theory, my homie has a netflix account. What do you guys recommend to rip/burn/etc dvd's? Pretty much get me a working copy of his DVDs? In theory of course, cuz pirating is illegal.

February 16, 2010 @ 12:02:09
im running vista and im using i.e.

This is the problem.

Why are you using IE? It's a shithole browser, seriously. Go download Firefox and stop using IE.

To get rid of your spyware problems (that are caused by IE), download Malwarebytes and Spybot. Do a full scan for each separately (don't do it together; this can crash your computer).

After you do this, download CCleaner. Use it and let it do its magic. This should clear all your browsing history.

Oh, and don't fucking use IE. Either go Firefox or don't come to this thread. Suggestions are on the first page.
February 16, 2010 @ 12:18:01
so i just downloaded avast! and idk if i need to set anything up, so when i open the dl'ed file it says not enough user rights to continue. wtf?

EDIT: i just realized i have to be on administrator account

hahaha.... >smh>smh>smh

Avast is a good virus scanner. Since I've used it, my laptop has been fairly fast and efficient.
February 26, 2010 @ 11:07:06
Cheers, a lot of this thread helpedd and will look at more later blushing
March 02, 2010 @ 20:30:26
great thread.smokeyface
March 08, 2010 @ 20:30:49
word?
March 10, 2010 @ 18:55:59
awesome thread.
March 25, 2010 @ 12:21:52
i really can't find anything in the past 10 pages about this so here goes. Can i please get a suggestion for a program i can DL for ripping , burning , dvd's but mostly i DL a lot of Anime/Movies. I want to be able to watch them on my TV . Any programs that let you burn AVI, DIVX , MP4's, just files of that sort to a dvd and play it on a DVD player ?

Or is there just a wire or somehing i can plug into my laptop then into my TV and pretty much use the TV as my monitor that way i don't have to convert the files and burn them all ? Thanks for any help in advance.
April 10, 2010 @ 14:31:02
not sure if this has been posted yet

- *** To help make ur comp faster. *** -
http://www.warez-bb.org/viewtopic.php?t=1289263&highlight=
April 15, 2010 @ 10:05:04
i really can't find anything in the past 10 pages about this so here goes. Can i please get a suggestion for a program i can DL for ripping , burning , dvd's but mostly i DL a lot of Anime/Movies. I want to be able to watch them on my TV . Any programs that let you burn AVI, DIVX , MP4's, just files of that sort to a dvd and play it on a DVD player ?

Or is there just a wire or something i can plug into my laptop then into my TV and pretty much use the TV as my monitor that way i don't have to convert the files and burn them all ? Thanks for any help in advance.
For burning: DVD Fab.

If you just want to hook your computer up to your television, it depends on what kind of tv you have. If you have an older CRT tv, then you're stuck with s-video cable. Most laptops, especially ones 2-3 yrs. old should have an s-video out port.

If you have a newer LCD/plasma tv (720 and/or 1080p), then you have a few more options. You can use HDMI and VGA. For good quality, yet reasonably priced cables head over to Monoprice.
April 19, 2010 @ 23:53:32
Yo, anyone know how to get rid of Trojan-bnk.win32.keylogger.gen, really need help!

This post is hidden due to user account is no longer active or improper post content.

April 20, 2010 @ 01:26:57
Fixed, thanks yo!
April 22, 2010 @ 23:16:41
i know on PCs you can go in the control panel and add/delete programs all on one master list, how do i do this on MACs?
April 22, 2010 @ 23:19:55
Yo, anyone know how to get rid of Trojan-bnk.win32.keylogger.gen, really need help!

yea i had that shit too such a pain. but malbytes or whatever murdered it
April 30, 2010 @ 14:21:04
is it possible to fix a broken CD drive without replacing it?

This post is hidden due to user account is no longer active or improper post content.

May 07, 2010 @ 13:04:49
Wont open. I use a paperclip to open it and it wont read my Cds
May 08, 2010 @ 06:26:28
Fuck, back again, using a different computer. Anyway I dont know the name of this virus but everytime I open up something, some antispyware pops up on my computer, that does some bullshit scan, the shit is called antispyware soft how the fuck do i get rid of it. Thank in advance!

edit: nvm I fixed it, thx though lol.
Please login first to reply.
x