November 7, 2008 @ 12:56 PM
unknown force.

how old is the battery/laptop and does it run fine on outlet power?

battery is probably dead or close to it
November 7, 2008 @ 04:59 PM
JayLovesPinays

how old is the battery/laptop and does it run fine on outlet power?

battery is probably dead or close to it

the computer is about 2 years old, and it's running the og battery from purchase. i have been overcharging it since i've been using it. like it's 100% full, i would still leave the charger in. maybe that's the problem? this is the same thing that happened to my other laptop, then it finally stopped working. im hoping i just need a new battery. could i just pick one up from a store or what?

btw, im using a toshiba if that matters.
November 7, 2008 @ 08:47 PM
unknown force.

it's probably the battery. i do know that toshibas satellite models are fucked up at the AC adapter plug in on the motherboard but if it's working fine on the AC outlet it shouldn't be that.

i'd try and buy a battery from a store like best buy or frys or something and see if it works fine, if it does then swap out that battery with your busted one and return that issh cool
November 9, 2008 @ 12:08 PM
zyezye

just need a new battery. all batteries do that. it could also be the battery getting a memory effect. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Memory_effect
November 16, 2008 @ 03:46 PM
pnsho

Just d/led Audacity.

Pretty simple, decent editting program.
November 22, 2008 @ 10:21 PM
pnsho

FREE DOPE APPS

CCleaner - One of my favorite, period. It cleans up not only all the junk files in your PC, browser, trash can, but will erase any information saved over (like the shit the FBI gets into). It will also clean up your registry and allow you to uninstall everything about a program, including the things normally left behind. It cleared up about 660MB of space for me and improved the performance of my PC by a good amount.

Open Office - This is a free version of an office suite much like Microsoft office. However, unlike Microsoft office, it is very light and does not take up much CPU power. It's fast, clean and can do just about everything office can, and it's free.

Avast Anti-Virus - It's free, it does everything Norton does, and has an option for active scan to constantly run and monitor all in and outgoing traffic. It updates it's database almost daily without you noticing (until the notification pops up) and has won multiple awards. It's less CPU intensive then other virus programs and does just as good of job.

VLC Media Player - The best Video player on the internet period. You can do just about everything, watch just about every video and even rip Flash movies from the internet. It's a small download, very fast and doesn't waste your time, space or CPU with a bulky UI. You can even toss a DVD into your PC and stream it for everybody on your network. It really is the full package for free.

Filezilla - A free and clean FTP client. I don't know how many of you use FTP programs but this is probably the best free one you can find. The only real issue with it is the limitations on dragging and dropping but that does not really matter anyway.

Spybot Search and Destroy - I am sure many of you know this one as well but it's a free adware/spyware killer. It will scan your PC for all types of nasty shit and zap it dead. It will also immunize your PC so you don't end up getting other annoying infections.

portableapps.com - What this site does is allow you to install full version applications on your USB flash drive. This will allow you to take it any ware and no matter what computer you plug it into, your apps will be full usable and accessible right from the flash drive with no installation needed.

Foxit Reader - Simply put, get rid of Adobe Reader and install this. Adobe Reader is full of crap you don't need, constantly updates for no reason, is slow and wastes to much space. Foxit Reader is not only as fast but has support for all the same file types and features Adobe Reader does.

InfranView - This is a graphics viewing program. It is much like Windows Picture Viewer (the program that displays photos when you click on them) except much faster, with more features and less CPU intensive. This thing not only operates faster then Windows Picture Viewer but can do so even if you have 32 other applications open and running.

Gimp - I have been asked a million times by people on here and other places for Adobe Photoshop. Well, Gimp is the free equivalently. It's an open source program with constant updates and improvements. You won't be able to do all the professional things Photoshop allows but 99 percent of people who want a program like Adobe Photoshop don't use it for those things anyway. This program is a great free tool I suggest looking into.

Firefox - Most of you use this but if you don't, do so right now. Best browser on the Internet.

DbPowerAmp - From ripping or writing cds, to converting music file(like MP3 to WAV) this program does it all. Its fast, clean and a small download. It's a pretty common app but its worth putting up here for those who don't already use it.

NVU - Free Open Source WYSiWYG Web Editor. It's like Dreamweaver, but it doesn't implement CSS very well. Other than that, probably the next best thing for web editing software.

Scribus - Open Source Alternative to InDesign and QuarkXPress Desktop Publishing Software.

Audacity - An audio recording program that can be used instead some of the higher priced tools like Acid Pro or Pro tools. It is perfect for the amateur musicians and won't break the bank. It's open source and runs very well.

Ubuntu Linux - Looking for a free alternative operating system to windows? Well Unbuntu is it. It's a version of Linux which is a open source, free operating system that is extremely popular. Ubuntu is easy to use, can be run on just about any machine, no matter the age and is extremely fast. It's so good that Dell is starting to offer it with it's PC's instead of Windows. Since it's designed around free software it focuses on using only the best no cost apps and doesn't want people dishing out $400 for products of less quality then open source ones.

Miro - Free Alternative to Windows Media player. It's open source, free and runs very well. It's a great program to start a media hub around. From HD videos, to Internet TV and Bit-torrent, this piece of software can replace the annoying glitches, bugs and wasted CPU power that Windows Media Player offers. It doesn't do any one thing the best, but it does each well and offers them in one package.

AVG Anti-Rootkit is an application used to detect and remove rootkits. Rootkits are used to hide the presence of a malicious object like trojans or keyloggers on your computer. If a threat uses rootkit technology to hide itself it is very hard to find the malware on your PC. AVG Anti-Rootkit gives you the power to find and delete the rootkit and to uncover the threat the rootkit is hiding.

Ad-Aware: anti-spyware version provides you with advanced protection against spyware that secretly attaches and takes control of your computer, resulting in aggressive advertising pop-ups, sluggish computer activity, even identity theft through stolen bank details, passwords, and credit card account numbers. Free updates too.

Avira AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic: reliably protects your private computer against dangerous viruses, worms, Trojans and costly dialers. Can run in real-time mode and updates daily.

BOClean: protects you against a full spectrum of malware, automatically removing these programs from memory, your hard disk and your registry without the need to reboot or drop your internet connection. BOClean safely neutralizes these threats instantly without any risk of damage to your files or computer. Updates are FREE, and the update download and installation process is (or, in the case of network deployment, can be) completely automated.

Exact Audio Copy: Allows you to rip (store) you CDs onto your computer without a loss in sound quality.

SpywareBlaster: SpywareBlaster can help keep your system spyware-free and secure, without interfering with the "good side" of the web. And unlike other programs, SpywareBlaster does not have to remain running in the background. Prevents the installation of ActiveX-based spyware, adware, browser hijackers, dialers, and other potentially unwanted software. Blocks spyware/tracking cookies in Internet Explorer and Mozilla/Firefox. Restricts the actions of potentially unwanted sites in Internet Explorer.

[B]SUPER
November 23, 2008 @ 11:15 PM
SprNtrl

-------products from newegg.com-------

Kingston ValueRAM 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 533 (PC2 4200)

AMD Phenom 8750 Toliman 2.4GHz Socket AM2+ 95W Triple-Core Black Edition Processor Model HD875ZWCGHBOX - Retail
Item #: N82E16819103295
$134.00

MSI K9A2 Platinum AM2+/AM2 AMD 790FX ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail
$149.99

Dude, WTF?!! Right now, dump the memory modules. Pick up at least DDR2-800 or DDR2-1066 speed rated RAM. Your hurting system performance with the slow DDR2-533.

DDR2 memory is dirt cheap right now. I'd either get 4GB (2 x 2GB) of fast, low latency RAM, or 8GB - your motherboards max capacity - in either 4 x 2GB or 2 x 4GB config. of average memory.

Kingston ValueRAM is okay shit, but look for GeiL, G. Skill, Corsair, or Crucial for better stuff.

I see GIMP on a lot of people's list. I've tried it a few times, and I just don't like it. maybe I'm too used to Photoshop.
November 24, 2008 @ 12:22 AM
pnsho

I prefer Photoshop over Gimp as well.

I tried it out, didn't like the feel. I'm still hoping for a better version of iTunes that isn't a memory hogger bitch. Songbird has that potential, but the lack of the key features that iTunes has as well as the extensive store pulled me away.
November 24, 2008 @ 12:24 AM
unknown force.

only used gimp for counter-strike skins. it's not that bad for a free app since photoshop costs like $500 if you aren't dl'in it
November 24, 2008 @ 12:56 AM
rtst102

ad-aware is pretty solid program. very easy to use. no hassles whatsoever.
November 24, 2008 @ 01:11 AM
CHIEFxIRONLUNG

ad-aware is pretty solid program. very easy to use. no hassles whatsoever.

^co-sign. i love this program. i've had some nasty shit on my computer and if ad-aware doesn't clear it up, then i use malwarebytes and then everythings gone.

i hate that antispywarexp crap.
December 19, 2008 @ 06:54 PM
vinhhhh

Bumped for helpfulness.
December 20, 2008 @ 02:11 PM
pnsho

The only anti-malware/spyware/virus programs I have running now are:

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware
NOD32 Antivirus: Business Edition (works for 67 years)
Spybot Search & Destroy

That's been keeping me alive for 6 months and running. Go to the 1st/2nd page of this thread and follow what SprNtrl and shinesolo recommended, as well as everyone's tweaking advice.
December 22, 2008 @ 05:17 PM
pnsho

Just got rid of Adobe Reader today; downloaded FoxItReader. That's almost 40x less memory (5MB > 200MB), plus it's better.

====
The only anti-malware/spyware/virus programs I have running now are:

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware
NOD32 Antivirus: Business Edition (works for 67 years)
Spybot Search & Destroy

That's been keeping me alive for 6 months and running. Go to the 1st/2nd page of this thread and follow what SprNtrl and shinesolo recommended, as well as everyone's tweaking advice.
January 1, 2009 @ 06:38 PM
pnsho

I ran it through Crucial memory finder, and this 2GB kit comes up: Crucial 2GB Kit

For the price, it's good.. Lifetime warranty and all, and Crucial is some of the best. The memory paired with a good clean up of the operating system will provide a nice boost in performance. There is a 1GB stick available as well, for about 1/2 the price. However, with the Intel chipset you have, I'd recommend getting 2 identical sticks of memory (like the 2GB kit listed) to take advantage of the built in dual channel mode.

If the memory you have in your computer now is EXACTLY the same as the Crucial memory in terms of memory timings and speed, you would be able to use them for a nice 2.5GBs of memory.

Thanks for this info, Spr.

I also noticed that my Dell 8300 has 4 slots that can hold 1GB max each slot. Does that mean if I buy 4, that I actually have 4GB?

And when removing/inserting RAM, do I just take out my 512MB ram mods? I'm assuming it has 2 slots of 256 each. If so, do I just take out these 2 and put in 2 of the 1GB that I (will) buy?
January 1, 2009 @ 06:48 PM
pnsho

I ran it through Crucial memory finder, and this 2GB kit comes up: Crucial 2GB Kit

For the price, it's good.. Lifetime warranty and all, and Crucial is some of the best. The memory paired with a good clean up of the operating system will provide a nice boost in performance. There is a 1GB stick available as well, for about 1/2 the price. However, with the Intel chipset you have, I'd recommend getting 2 identical sticks of memory (like the 2GB kit listed) to take advantage of the built in dual channel mode.

If the memory you have in your computer now is EXACTLY the same as the Crucial memory in terms of memory timings and speed, you would be able to use them for a nice 2.5GBs of memory.

I also noticed that my Dell 8300 has 4 slots that can hold 1GB max each slot. Does that mean if I buy 4, that I actually have 4GB?

And when removing/inserting RAM, do I just take out my 512MB ram mods? I'm assuming it has 2 slots of 256 each. If so, do I just take out these 2 and put in 2 of the 1GB that I (will) buy?
January 1, 2009 @ 08:45 PM
pnsho

Coped a new Laptop.. Following Programs ima put on it.

TuneUp Untilitys 09
Zone Alrams Firewall
Kaspersky Anti-Virus
FoxitReader - Hopefully this is good.
Firefox 3
Winamp

Thats basiclly all im going to install.

FoxItReader is great.

I consider it the Firefox version of Adobe Acrobat Reader. Hardly any memory (5MB) and faster than AAR.

I also suggest you download Malwarebytes and CCleaner. They're both free; thank me later.
January 1, 2009 @ 11:03 PM
pnsho

I use both either way. CCleaner is just to clean up the remains for me.

Gotta check out ZoneAlarm.
January 4, 2009 @ 10:50 PM
SprNtrl

Yup, you can use 4 x 1GB for 4GB. However, if you're using XP 32-bit, there is a memory limitation because of addressing. If you install 4GB of memory, the machine will only show 2.7~3.0GBs of memory in use. This is because the OS also counts video memory on your video card and other peripherals as system memory as well. 2.7GBs is still plenty of memory for WinXP. You won't see a significant improvement on anything over 2GB. However, if you're considering holding onto the machine for a few more years, 4GB of memory is fully utilized in Windows Vista and upcoming Windows 7. If you're gonna junk the machine soon, I'd suggest just getting 2 x 1GB sticks to keep cost low and best bang for the buck.
January 4, 2009 @ 11:02 PM
pnsho

Thanks for the very informative help.

I just bought an external today and a CycloDS for my little brother, so I broke the $200 limit.

The RAM is my next cop, for sure. I just hate the fact that my hard drive is surrounded (and I have to remove wires from the back, etc.):

January 5, 2009 @ 08:51 PM
SprNtrl

Not to sound like an asshole, but its a pet peeve of mine when people refer to their computer as a hard drive. The proper terminology you're looking for is computer tower or just tower, because technically, this is a hard drive. [Sarah Palin] Jussoyaknothere [/Sarah Palin]
January 5, 2009 @ 08:55 PM
pnsho

As stated countless times before, I am a noob at computers.
January 7, 2009 @ 07:14 AM
magneticman

That's the first time I've heard someone refer to the case as a hard drive, not taking the piss out of you OhSnap but it doesn't even make sense lol.
January 7, 2009 @ 03:03 PM
unknown force.

[QUOTE=
January 8, 2009 @ 04:01 PM
AlwayS_DreSSeD

Anyway to get Nod32 for free after 30 days is up?

www.NickyDsss.com

January 14, 2009 @ 04:57 PM
pnsho

Bump this shit.

I don't think I have anything else to download. I have all my shit updated and whatnot. I just don't dare to put a dock or anything like themes, etc.

For a 512MB RAM computer, it's alright. I need to save up for 2GB RAM.

Anybody ever try Hackintosh besides NathanP (my.hypebeast.com/showthread.php?t=76959)?
January 14, 2009 @ 07:32 PM
unknown force.

i was thinking about trying but my desktop is pretty crappy and it randomly shuts down
January 16, 2009 @ 10:39 PM

Inactive

Anyway to get Nod32 for free after 30 days is up?

anyone has some cd keys?
January 18, 2009 @ 05:22 AM
mixology

TuneUp Utilities is usually pretty awesome, has alot of shit including defrag and registry cleaner.
January 19, 2009 @ 08:42 PM
zyezye

i just reformated my laptop, can anyone give me a list of things of MUST haves?

i know they've been listed but the things are spread out in the thread can someone do a page summery and a mod put it on the front page?

Please login first to reply.