Free Worldwide Shipping
Spend $150 USD or more. Click for details.
September 29, 2008 @ 07:54 PM
dynamiteden

step 1
make sure it isnt a mac
step 2
make sure you dont download a virus

you've obviously never had a Mac. as someone who has had both i can easily say that OS X is a lot better than Vista, imo. no hate <3
September 29, 2008 @ 10:54 PM
fffffut

rofl i'm kidding
macs are great for a lot of things i've just used windows for so long it'd be a rough transition
September 30, 2008 @ 01:55 AM
chris dibiase

i also have a mac. what are some tweeks/apps that can keep your mac safe from viruses/slowing down/etc?
September 30, 2008 @ 03:16 AM
araw at bituin

you've obviously never had a Mac. as someone who has had both i can easily say that OS X is a lot better than Vista, imo. no hate <3

vista is supah gay.

xp ftw lol

http://instagram.com/qyel

September 30, 2008 @ 03:16 AM
araw at bituin

i also have a mac. what are some tweeks/apps that can keep your mac safe from viruses/slowing down/etc?

i dont think they make viruses for macs cool

September 30, 2008 @ 08:29 AM
shinesolo

i dont think they make viruses for macs cool

Are you fucking joking? It's easier to hack in some cases, and of course you can get a virus on OSX, it's just as easy and people are just as stupid as window users to allow it to happen.

You guys all know you can run UNIX and with some tweaks it'll have (mostly) the same feel as OSX. Or you could run OSX86. You guys realize this, right?
September 30, 2008 @ 03:42 PM
SprNtrl

^At some computing security convention (a.k.a hackers meetup), the OSX operating system was broken into the fastest, with windows XP a full 24 hours later atleast, and a Linux distro last, a few hours after Win XP.
September 30, 2008 @ 04:02 PM
dynamiteden

that may be true, SprNtrl, but seeing that the vast majority of people use Windows, most hackers target them. this makes using a Mac safer in a way.
September 30, 2008 @ 04:16 PM
shinesolo

that may be true, SprNtrl, but seeing that the vast majority of people use Windows, most hackers target them. this makes using a Mac safer in a way.

The MacBook is the most used computer on most universities at this point, and the percentage of Mac owners are only growing as Apple's popularity does, by the way of the iPod, basically.

So enjoy that feeling of being a computing minority, because it'll only be so long before exploiting OSX is as viable as Windows.
September 30, 2008 @ 04:21 PM
dynamiteden

I'm actually kind of worried about that. Either way, safer or not, I prefer OS X.
September 30, 2008 @ 04:47 PM
TL

That definitely looks interesting.

So on my list of (illegal) downloads is:

TuneUp Utilities
Photoshop CS3 (isn't CS4 coming out soon? )
deleting my old McAfee
Norton Ghost
get more ram and somehow move my hard drive which is currently stuck

Keep it coming, y'all.

get kaspersky for antivirus cool ... and like other ppl have said, get VLC player for media and shit
September 30, 2008 @ 05:30 PM
pnsho

So Kaspersky > nod32 like shinesolo suggested?
September 30, 2008 @ 08:25 PM
shinesolo

So Kaspersky > nod32 like shinesolo suggested?

I've used both and can easily say that Kaspersky is just as great as nod32. For you, in particular, a person with a relatively old computer and low resources, and with a seemingly innocent digital agenda, nod32 is the right program for you.
September 30, 2008 @ 08:35 PM
araw at bituin

Are you fucking joking? It's easier to hack in some cases, and of course you can get a virus on OSX, it's just as easy and people are just as stupid as window users to allow it to happen.

You guys all know you can run UNIX and with some tweaks it'll have (mostly) the same feel as OSX. Or you could run OSX86. You guys realize this, right?

lol i thought it was pretty clear that i was joking. guess not.

September 30, 2008 @ 08:44 PM
pnsho

True that. Thanks, bbyz.

My computer's relatively faster after all the suggestions I got from you faggernuts (jk laff). I'm downloading, illegally obvi, the newest version of TuneUp Utilities, so I'll see how it goes.

What pissed me off about my McAfee All-in-One was that it was dependent on IE, and I blocked my programs from using IE as the primary internet explorer. So since I blocked IE, all I get is this wack ass shit when I open up McAfee:

Fuck that shit. I'll delete my McAfee right after this. It hasn't really helped me at all, considering how whenever a message shows up saying there's a potentially harmful program etc., McAfee doesn't do shit, even after I click it to repair/clean/delete it.
September 30, 2008 @ 08:44 PM
unknown force.

I've used both and can easily say that Kaspersky is just as great as nod32. For you, in particular, a person with a relatively old computer and low resources, and with a seemingly innocent digital agenda, nod32 is the right program for you.

yeah i've used both too but since i've started using kaspersky i love it. best anti-virus program I have used. hope my list of programs helped you guys
September 30, 2008 @ 08:55 PM
sellme

wtf people actually use anti-virus programs?? I sure as hell don't. Completely useless imo... if you're stupid enough to get a virus, you deserve it.
September 30, 2008 @ 11:15 PM
SprNtrl

^I just have it for piece of mind. If I do catch something, I'd rather not have to fucks with it too much.

I personally use Avast!. At this point, even the free antiviruses do a pretty damn decent job, and in most cases, are less demanding on system resources then full blown suites.
October 1, 2008 @ 05:51 PM
pnsho

Apparently, TuneUp Utilities needs Internet Explorer in order to work.

Should I upgrade my Internet Explorer to version 7/8? I have the old fucked up version (6 or something).

Edit: TuneUp 1-Click Maintenance just found 631 System problems and 467 Applications problems.
October 1, 2008 @ 08:11 PM
unknown force.

i have the newest version of internet explorer but i don't actually use it. unless firefox is messing up a website or something. i found a bunch of errors on my desktop when i first ran it after like 5 years haha
October 1, 2008 @ 08:19 PM
pnsho

Word.

Right now, it's defragmenting and all the problems are gone. My computer's a little bit laggy because of the whole defragmenting.

I still have no clue what that means, but it sounds good, so why not?
October 1, 2008 @ 11:11 PM
pnsho

Sorry for double post.

I just did almost every function that TuneUp had to offer, and my computer's definitely wayyy faster by at least 14x.

On a sidenote, if I were somewhat interested in XP themes, is it recommended? I heard WindowsBlind or ThemeXP can fuck up your computer and make it slower?

Thumbs up or thumbs down?
October 1, 2008 @ 11:35 PM
pnsho

Sorry for double post.

I just did almost every function that TuneUp had to offer, and my computer's definitely wayyy faster by at least 14x.

On a sidenote, if I were somewhat interested in XP themes, is it recommended? I heard WindowsBlind or ThemeXP can fuck up your computer and make it slower?

And even though I did the Accelerate your Download Speed in TuneUp, my download rate is still only 30kb/sec. Is this just because of my internet connection?
October 1, 2008 @ 11:53 PM
unknown force.

most likely cause of what your provider is giving you.

i use StyleXP on my desktop that has windows XP installed on it. haven't had any issues running it or anything. i've never tried windowsblinds or any other the other interface changing programs
October 3, 2008 @ 03:16 AM
Jassoone

this thread helped me make my computer faster and smoother

tuneup utilities and kaspersky are the shit
October 3, 2008 @ 10:18 AM
SprNtrl

Right now, it's defragmenting and all the problems are gone. My computer's a little bit laggy because of the whole defragmenting.

I still have no clue what that means, but it sounds good, so why not?

When a file on your computer too big to store in the place on the hard drive where it was originally created, it gets cut up and spread out into various places (thing of a fragmentation grenade, bits and pieces of the file all over the harddrive). Naturally, it will take your drive longer to use the file because of the need to do more operations. Since this is a mechanical process (the harddrive heads and platter need to move around) it's slower than a purely digital process and thus will greatly affect system performance.

Periodically it's good to "defrag" the hard drive. If you've never done it, it may take a long time the first time. But if you do it regularly, such as once a month, it's a lot faster. When you defragment your harddrive, the software does some fancy calculations and tells the hardrive to put the pieces of the file back together as a whole, and thus eliminating the need for the headers and platters to move around too much, therefore speeding up your system. Here's a harddrive in action.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=9eMWG3fwiEU

And even though I did the Accelerate your Download Speed in TuneUp, my download rate is still only 30kb/sec. Is this just because of my internet connection?

XP theme programs will use some system RAM, leaving less availble for use by other programs. You'll notice it slowing the system down in that regard. However, if you upgrade your RAM, then it will be unnoticeable.

When you use the Download Speed app in Tuneup, you have to make sure you're chossing the option that best corresponds to your internet connection. For my 10MBps connection, I'm not gonna choose the 512Kb option.

Go to Speedtest.net

Do a few runs, and choose the middle of the pack measurement. Then go to Tuneup and choose the options taht best corresponds with your speed.
October 4, 2008 @ 06:50 AM
magneticman

avoid 'tuneup' apps or whatever rubbish you guys are talking about, them along with antivirus programs are a complete waste of time. They just consume resources and perform default actions anyways.

All you need is a third party defrag (I use O&O), adaware, and maybe a registry cleaner. Plus, just categorise and be a neater person in habit, be careful of what your download and don't use IE and you'll avoid a lot of problems.
October 6, 2008 @ 04:01 PM
pnsho

Are Yahoo Widgets any good for XP?

And does anybody have any good desktop icons for XP? All I find are Mac and Vista-only icons.

And do you recommend a dock (ObjectDock/RocketDock) for XP users?

I think it'll kill my RAM. It's already only 512MB to start with.

Example: bradwjensen.deviantart.com/art/Windows-XP-Professional-62158884
October 6, 2008 @ 05:24 PM
ricky tan

dude can you link me to that Gimp Photoshop thing?^^

i'd google it but i'm scared what i'll find when i google "Gimp" suprised

edit*

nevermind, i found it. i thought other people might want it too instead of pirating so here's the link

www.gimp.org/downloads/

GIMP is a free program and you can get it off download.com

and what does c cleaner do?

hung 10 never surfed

October 6, 2008 @ 05:26 PM
pnsho

Are Yahoo Widgets any good for XP?

And does anybody have any good desktop icons for XP? All I find are Mac and Vista-only icons.

And do you recommend a dock (ObjectDock/RocketDock) for XP users?

I think it'll kill my RAM. It's already only 512MB to start with.

Example: bradwjensen.deviantart.com/art/Windows-XP-Professional-62158884

Sidenote - I found AOL on my Add/Remove Programs, and I fucked up by deleting the AOL folder (C disk) a long time ago. Now AOL won't uninstall. It's pissing me off. Can TuneUp fix this? Or is there another way?

Please login first to reply.