August 21, 2012 @ 12:05 PM
thelavishworld

Remember this scene: no plasma screens but a dusty old big glass screen, with under that a Nintendo with a cartridge in it. If the Nintendo 64 couldn't read it, we took the time to blow the cartridge (no dirty minds please) and put it in again. We'd get our controllers and play away, sucked into that screen, into the amazing world of Zelda or Mario.

Now think of today: we sit in the train, playing on our iPad's and iPhones or at home on our bed with our legs in the air, crossed and waving from left to right, leaning on our elbows with our eyes close to the small retina screen, clearer and with a higher definition than ever. Now imagine these two era's clashing and merging into one amazing device: it's the Game Dock.

Designed and put together by Andi Greisel, who himself is still a gamer fanaticus, speaks on how he came to the idea. ”I loved NES when I was a kid, and still do really, so I immediately started developing around those controllers.......

For more, click here
August 21, 2012 @ 07:39 PM
B Low Brown

This seems a lot more user friendly than the ouya

@b_low_brown Killerbrownies.tumblr.com

August 22, 2012 @ 08:04 PM
99%Shit

Explain how it's more user friendly...

narsha.narsha.narsha

August 22, 2012 @ 08:16 PM
NZOO

All these gaming devices selling the same shitty casual games.

Don't badmind me.

August 22, 2012 @ 11:10 PM
calintz

not sure about ouya, seriously
if i'ma sit in front of my tv, i'd rather be gaming on a real console

mobile gaming can stay on my mobile, and indy games can be played on a pc
August 23, 2012 @ 01:40 AM
B Low Brown

This seems a lot more user friendly than the ouya
yeah it seems way less user friendly than ouya lol

Note how I said "seem"
It looks like you just plug it into an adapter for your tv and use a nintendo-like controller for games compatible with the system, and isnt the Ouya based off hacking & shit? What casual gamer wants to deal with that, just to get the most out of their purchase?

August 23, 2012 @ 07:59 AM
B Low Brown

no. Ouya has an operating system and can run games normally. it just doesnt have hack protection

I'm aware of that but is it really more simple than the dock? I haven't done enough research on ouya to really know tbh

August 23, 2012 @ 09:50 PM
califoreigner

the dock only supports icade games though, right? i supported ouya mainly for the emulation. i haven't had a modded og xbox for years and this thing won't take up nearly as much space. i'm looking at it as a streaming box as well though. anything else it ends up getting will just be icing on the cake.
August 24, 2012 @ 02:01 AM
calintz

you can just play them on your Android phone/tablet

any emulator that Ouya gets, will be usable on any tegra 3 enabled Android device

August 25, 2012 @ 09:57 PM
99%Shit

Ouya also doubles as a media centre, and no protection means it'll be easy to have it accept an external HDD via USB, and most likely .mkv support. Current media hubs cost the same or more than OUYA and do not support games. I also like the idea of a dedicated media hub/AOS gaming system more than one based off my phone/tablet.

I'm really hoping for the ability to stream .mkv over DLNA on the Ouya w/o transcoding.

narsha.narsha.narsha

August 26, 2012 @ 04:42 PM
unknown force

Don't see the point of these systems. PC hooked up to a TV with hdmi does 100x more. Htpc aren't that expensive
August 27, 2012 @ 03:51 AM
99%Shit

Don't see the point of these systems. PC hooked up to a TV with hdmi does 100x more. Htpc aren't that expensive

The cheapest out there are ~$250 out and have integrated Intel HD GPUs. The OUYA is ~$99 and has a 12 core nVidia GPU. I use my laptop to output now, but I'd like something stationary, and if I buy a desktop, it's being setup on a desk, so that I can do actual work on it. Think of the OUYA as a Boxee or Roku that can play games too. Sure, PS3/360 can do that too, but not to the same degree, or at least not with the same level of ease/price.

narsha.narsha.narsha

Please login first to reply.