July 15, 2010 @ 12:33 AM
nestk.

July 15, 2010 @ 12:44 AM
Bubbs619

can someone explain to me the hype behind android? i really dont understand maybe its because i hate touch screen
July 15, 2010 @ 03:47 AM
teov

it's not hype , it's just FROYO (android 2.2) > iphone os

Blog : lifetimesofmrm.blogspot.com Check my tumblr lifetimesofmrm.tumblr.com HELGEN X. I love the fact that you don't dress like a fake poser skateboarding faggot from HB!

July 15, 2010 @ 04:50 AM
calintz

nice, was about to start a thread like this after copping the htc desire

recommend some apps!
July 15, 2010 @ 02:45 PM
C_Augustus_O

nice, was about to start a thread like this after copping the htc desire

recommend some apps!

Advance task killer
Astro
Caller id faker (for the lul'z)
Goggles
Qik
Ringdroid
Layar

been using the htc evo for a month now and i love it

https://twitter.com/#!/C_Augustus_O

July 15, 2010 @ 06:10 PM
Vangaurd

I wish android had Microsoft Office Mobile on it. I would so really love this phone (evo) and Android OS if they made the app for it.

Also I need to find a better email app than the one that shipped with the phone. I use Yahoo and I can't acces my other folders. I read a lot of bad reviews on the yahoo mail app but I guess I can give it try.

Also how can I assign a ring tone (custom, mp3, etc) to text notifications? I cant figure it out. Seems impossible.
July 15, 2010 @ 06:36 PM
The-Dream

IphoneOs>android>bb os
July 15, 2010 @ 07:11 PM
calintz

Also how can I assign a ring tone (custom, mp3, etc) to text notifications? I cant figure it out. Seems impossible.

use ringdroid

thanks for the list, The Avaricious
July 15, 2010 @ 10:45 PM
aka_gunsmoke

lol couldn't believe it took this long to get an Android thread. To answer the question about the hype behind Android is similar to people who have a Mac, Windows PC, and Linux PC. Mac=OSX, Windows=WIndows phone 7, Linux=Android. You have some of the same things that made the iphone great, capacitive touch screen, and app store. You use your gmail account to sync your phone so when you add a contact to your phone it will automatically update your contacts on your gmail acct so you never have to plug your phone into your computer to sync calendars, contacts, etc. Its all wireless and free vs. buying mobile me from Apple.

Now the differences are that Android has widgets that you can put on your homescreens instead of just app icons so you will get instant information on your phone without opening a program. That could be twitter updates, news, rss, etc. You also have a notification bar that gives you updates on texts, missed calls emails etc. without interrupting what your doing on the phone. Also since it is similiar to Linux you can customize it however you want once its rooted. Wireless tethering, custom boot screens/splash screens etc.
July 15, 2010 @ 11:33 PM
aka_gunsmoke

can someone explain to me the hype behind android? i really dont understand maybe its because i hate touch screen

Oh yea and the browser runs flash 10.1cool
July 16, 2010 @ 12:46 AM
DSea5

IphoneOs>android>bb os

the reason why i got rid of the storm to get the droid
July 16, 2010 @ 12:53 AM
nestk.

Since I am in Canada, do you guys think I should resign my contract to get the Xperia X10 for 149.99 or buy the N1 for 600 online and then save my hardware upgrade for a better phone later? Basically X10 or N1?
July 16, 2010 @ 02:16 AM
calintz

OI notepad - best notes app IMO

nice - was looking for something simple and fast

evernote is nice, but it isn't fast enough to pull up when i need it
July 16, 2010 @ 03:50 AM
teov

task killer is worthless for the way android works . the OS puts the unused apps on freeze in the background to keep em ready for the next opening , that's why it's so fast . if you kill the tasks you force the sistem to open again every app you use . I had Adv task killer on my Desire and deleted it smile

Blog : lifetimesofmrm.blogspot.com Check my tumblr lifetimesofmrm.tumblr.com HELGEN X. I love the fact that you don't dress like a fake poser skateboarding faggot from HB!

July 16, 2010 @ 06:05 AM
calintz

they're suspended, so should drain battery

but there are apps that wake at given intervals to sync data, like twitter and facebook apps

i think this app kills is for those
July 16, 2010 @ 07:17 AM
teov

are u sure the aps get frozen and arent just running in the background and wasting battery life?

geekfor.me/faq/you-shouldnt-be-using-a-task-killer-with-android/

July 16, 2010 @ 07:18 AM
teov

they're suspended, so should drain battery

but there are apps that wake at given intervals to sync data, like twitter and facebook apps

i think this app kills is for those

yep but if you kill facebook you kill the purpose of being updated 24/7

July 20, 2010 @ 05:41 PM
imtheman

Rooting your android phone REALLY unlocks the most of your phone...
I'm running my old ass G1 with the Chromatic 3.9.1 rom and that shit is smoooth, fast, and doesnt eat up my battery like the stock OS. There are a few hangups here and there, but the pros out-weigh the cons big time.
The XDA forums have everything you need for rooting almost any android phone for those interested.
July 20, 2010 @ 06:51 PM
unknown force.

i have a moto droid rooted running bugless beast but this shit keeps freezing so often im about to go back to stock OS. the battery life is nice and being able to run froyo before it comes out was cool but it takes me like 4 tries to answer phone call when its asleep.
July 20, 2010 @ 09:22 PM
unknown force.

well for me the main reason i rooted is cause i wanted to try Froyo which is the new android system but it hasn't released yet. there are some cool apps and you can put roms on your phone to make it like a different phone i.e. moto droid with a droid eris rom and stuff like that. theres overclocking widgets where you can speed up or slow down the cpu to use more power or conserve battery. there is cool stuff but i've just been having too many issues personally
July 20, 2010 @ 10:29 PM
Pinhead Larry

HTC EVO 4G shits on iPhone 4 so hard it isn't even funny.
July 20, 2010 @ 10:48 PM
nostalgia

If Sprint, just took out the 4G bullshit I would be all over the EVO, where I live I get 4G coverage but I don't have a need or want to pay $10 monthly just to own the phone. They should just charge $10 a month if you choose to use 4G.
July 21, 2010 @ 11:46 AM
imtheman

what are the real pros of rooting tho?
but doesnt it void your warranty?
ive always heard about rooting, but dont know anything about it

I dont think it voids your warranty because rooting can be undone - but I'm not sure.
Rooting your phone though can give you all kinds of more apps, widgets, full control over the processing speeds of your phone, and best of all (in my opinion) the most customization options possible. For example, I have had my G1 with the look of a Nexus and can then change colors, boot screens, have live wallpapers, 3d picture galleries, hide certain features, custom home screen options, etc.

** edit **
I think the Droid has had a lot more problems with the rooting because Motorola is trying to limit what they can do to the phones. I read that the new Droid X may even brick itself once its being altered:
jcxp.org/hardware/droid-x-doesnt-like-rooting-bricks-when-you-try-to-do-it/

If it can be built, it can be broken down.. so I say its only a matter of time before its done.
July 21, 2010 @ 12:34 PM
dunkster

Tmobile Samsung Vibrant is a beasty phone.

i will rape you if i get the chance

July 21, 2010 @ 12:45 PM
heydeleteme

HTC EVO 4G shits on iPhone 4 so hard it isn't even funny.

I had an Evo 4g for 2 weeks and I've never been more frustrated with a phone an my life and I had an iPhone for two 2 years.
July 21, 2010 @ 01:27 PM
willyxjai

Been using my iphone 3g for years and i need to update cause its breaking down on me, was looking to get the htc legend and i see that it currently runs on 2.1. Would I be able to update the firmware to 2.2 just like how you update it on an iphon3?
July 21, 2010 @ 01:48 PM
aka_gunsmoke

I dont think it voids your warranty because rooting can be undone - but I'm not sure.
Rooting your phone though can give you all kinds of more apps, widgets, full control over the processing speeds of your phone, and best of all (in my opinion) the most customization options possible. For example, I have had my G1 with the look of a Nexus and can then change colors, boot screens, have live wallpapers, 3d picture galleries, hide certain features, custom home screen options, etc.

** edit **
I think the Droid has had a lot more problems with the rooting because Motorola is trying to limit what they can do to the phones. I read that the new Droid X may even brick itself once its being altered:
jcxp.org/hardware/droid-x-doesnt-like-rooting-bricks-when-you-try-to-do-it/

If it can be built, it can be broken down.. so I say its only a matter of time before its done.

Rooting does void your warranty, and on most phones it can be undone. But on phone like the Nexus One it cannot be undone so wants its rooted and something (God forbid) happens to the phone if you send it in they will check that the recovery is different and the bootloader has been unlocked thus voiding your warranty even if it is a hardware defect.
July 21, 2010 @ 05:29 PM
Smiiiiiiiiitty

which android phone should i get/which is better? motorola droid, incredible, droid x? (i'm on verizon)
July 21, 2010 @ 08:24 PM
unknown force.

wait for the droid x to come out since it has better addons then the moto droid, like hdmi out and hdmi 720p video
July 21, 2010 @ 08:43 PM
Sensesmilla

Droid x came out awhile ago. But its hard to find one in stores to actually turn on and test out

Please login first to reply.