Free Worldwide Shipping on Orders Over $150.00 USD or more - Use Code: HBSHIP150
June 6, 2011 @ 03:10 PM
nostalgia deux

Im getting my dads 32gb 3GS, in like 3 weeks. You guys think it will be able to run iOS 5?
June 6, 2011 @ 03:33 PM
gbo559

The aluminum back shouldn't be a problem. You can probably switch it out anyways, just like you can on the iphone 4 and older models.
June 6, 2011 @ 03:34 PM
gbo559

What are some good apps tho? I have pandora right now and that's about it lol
June 6, 2011 @ 04:00 PM
airforce416

Im getting my dads 32gb 3GS, in like 3 weeks. You guys think it will be able to run iOS 5?

iOS 5 will run on the 3GS
June 6, 2011 @ 04:04 PM
Scotty

iOS 5 was presented today and here are some new key features: Also can watch the video here: www.apple.com/ios/ios5/gallery.html#video-ios

• Notifications will see a major overhaul as rumored most recently by TechCrunch. The new Notification Center in iOS 5 will aggregate all notifications, accessed by swiping down from the status bar at the top of the screen. New notifications will appear at the top of the screen and will be less obtrusive overall. Notifications will also be displayed on the lock screen along with weather and stock alerts. Tapping on a notification will automatically open the related app.

• iOS 5 will be "PC free" allowing new device activation and iOS updates over the air. Also, iTunes library syncing will be possible wirelessly via Wi-Fi. While an iOS device is being charged, it will automatically find the associated iTunes library and sync automatically.

• AirPlay Mirroring will also be possible to wirelessly mirror an iPad's display to a television connected to an AppleTV.

• Also as rumored, Twitter will be integrated into iOS and several apps including Camera, Photos, Maps, and Safari. Contacts can also be updated automatically with Twitter handles.

• As reported by This is my next... earlier today, Apple introduced a new unified messaging service between iOS users called iMessage. iMessage will allow iOS users to send text and multimedia messages over Wi-Fi and 3G with read and delivery receipts and real-time typing indication. Messages will be pushed to all iOS devices a user owns.

• Game Center will be enhanced with profile avatars, friend recommendations, and the ability to purchase new games within Game Center.

• Mobile Safari will also get several new features including tabbed browsing and a Safari Reader feature where users can save articles for later reading in the Reading List, which will be synced across multiple iOS devices for easy access.

• A new Reminders app will offer task tracking in iOS 5 with geolocation capabilities to trigger reminders based on user location.

• Camera will get a shortcut from the lock screen for quicker access. New features include optional grid lines for better framing and on-device editing like cropping and rotating plus red-eye reduction. The volume up button can also be set to trigger the shutter.

• Mail will also see some signification changes including rich text formatting, message flagging, draggable addresses.

• Other new system-wide features include a dictionary that can be accessed by any app and keyboard enhancements to modify the on-screen keyboard.

• A new app called News Stand is also coming to the App Store with iOS 5. It will be a counterpart to iBooks featuring newspapers and magazines and will download new issues automatically in the background.

iOS 5 will be available in the fall and will support the iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, 3rd- and 4th-generation iPod touch, and iPad and iPad 2.
June 6, 2011 @ 05:39 PM
GimmeDaLoot

iOS5 is swag as fuck. Game over for every other mobile phone, especially Blackberries.
June 6, 2011 @ 05:43 PM
calintz

finally, notifications... been waiting for this for my ipad 2
June 6, 2011 @ 05:46 PM
unknown force.

its funny that most of the things that add are things done already by jailbreaking

pull down notifications is so 2 years ago

lock screen camera is c0ol doe

they need to get google navigation going and better voice search sad
June 6, 2011 @ 05:52 PM
Clessysnilm

intro
This is becoming interesting. I recently came across this place on bing and thought I'd say congratulations.
Great information guys much appreciated specifically with what i will be looking to accomplish.

Does anybody have any further reading? Where is a good option to start here on this website?
June 6, 2011 @ 05:52 PM
Youngfresh6def

so the 4s will be coming out this summer/fall?
June 6, 2011 @ 05:54 PM
calintz

its funny that most of the things that add are things done already by jailbreaking

pull down notifications is so 2 years ago

yeah but some of us can't jailbreak their ipad 2
June 6, 2011 @ 06:03 PM
Scotty

so the 4s will be coming out this summer/fall?

In the fall around september/october...

iOS 5 has some awesome features... iMessage is going to be dope so now i dont have to use kik! Notifications is going to be much better cause i hate when im doing something and the whole screen has to pop up.. The reminder app is cool even though they have things like that already.. And can push the volume button to take a pic instead of the screen plus u dont have to go into camera anymore!

For my iPad, i like the reader feature! And notification feature will be great as well plus the iMessenger is going to be cool for it too!
June 6, 2011 @ 11:29 PM
nestk.

Any of you getting the beta? Even though it's a few months away...
June 6, 2011 @ 11:55 PM
GimmeDaLoot

I would if there was a jailbreak for it.
June 7, 2011 @ 06:02 AM
itsyababyboyzilla

i don't trust the cloud. is it basically megaman battle network?
June 7, 2011 @ 07:58 AM
skivic35

In the fall around september/october...

everything i have read says August
June 7, 2011 @ 07:37 PM
waldoaz

Cant wait for the iphone 5
June 8, 2011 @ 08:13 AM
itsyababyboyzilla

the guardian is suggesting that apple pushing back the next iphone is the start of a new strategy intended to allow it to compete with lower-priced smartphones. this would involve releasing a new iphone twice a year, with incremental revisions. the logic being that networks price iphones in tiers based on age and the more phones they release over a given period, the more broad the cost would be, and there'd be less pressure to wow us with a yearly event.

HMM
June 8, 2011 @ 06:32 PM
Shoutbox

wait what? releasing two iphones a year is madness. you mean they are trying to divide it into tiers based on specs? like they already do with the ipods, i.e. every ipod is catered to a certain specific audience? i dont think apple wants to devalue the status iphone like that. they dont mind if android gets the lower tier tween and teen consumers as long as they remain the phone to beat at the top.

pressure to wow us? all they have to do is release the new phone, wait a year and see everything that google and all the other ppl are doing, and then copy it and slap an "i" in front of it. seems to have worked for them so far.
June 9, 2011 @ 12:25 AM
June 10, 2011 @ 05:54 PM
PlatinumRespect

question. if i was to buy an iPhone 4 next month from Verizon (2yr contract and all), would I be able to upgrade it to the newer one when it comes out and get a significant discount?

info on how this works?
June 10, 2011 @ 06:12 PM
Scotty

^ Wait til september, get the 4s when it comes out and i know best buy has the buy back program for 60 bucks when u buy the phone.. Then next year u bring the phone back and they give u 50% of the retail price.. Which retail is 500 and u can put what they give u back for the new.. Which u will only pay 250.. I also know AT&T has a early upgrade fee of $100 when the new ones come out(have to ask the rep).. Not sure of verizon does it but u can try..
June 10, 2011 @ 07:28 PM
PlatinumRespect

^ thanks, i may just go through bestbuy then.

iOS 5: Why Integrate Twitter And Not Facebook?
www.informationweek.com/news/230500065

this was my initial thought too. i love taking pics and uploading them directly to facebook with one touch using my android device, but will i not be able to do it that easily anymore?
June 12, 2011 @ 12:01 AM
Shoutbox

awno

www.guardian.co.uk/technology/blog/2011/jun/07/iphone-5-4g-steve-jobs-wwdc

read it, it said most of the stuff i said in my OP.

if this is true--the six month interval-- its gonna suck. i hate the fact that apple is gonna get away with it too. with the way carriers set up plans now a days in 2 year cycles, means its gonna be impossible to stay current. and apple will probably just keep adding things that shouldve been included in the original iphone 4 i.e. NFC technology, 4g LTE, etc. those are things that couldve have been on the iphone 4 or the 4s, but now they will just nerf the hardware and add those things every 6 months so that you feel the need to buy a new iphone, madness like i said.
June 12, 2011 @ 09:40 AM
PlatinumRespect

^ Wait til september, get the 4s when it comes out and i know best buy has the buy back program for 60 bucks when u buy the phone.. Then next year u bring the phone back and they give u 50% of the retail price.. Which retail is 500 and u can put what they give u back for the new.. Which u will only pay 250.. I also know AT&T has a early upgrade fee of $100 when the new ones come out(have to ask the rep).. Not sure of verizon does it but u can try..

one other thing. if i were to buy an iPhone through verizon instead of bestbuy - and then bring it to bestbuy to trade in and put toward the newer version - would i get the same value back that i would if i bought the phone through bestbuy?
June 12, 2011 @ 12:04 PM
The-Dream

read it, it said most of the stuff i said in my OP.

if this is true--the six month interval-- its gonna suck. i hate the fact that apple is gonna get away with it too. with the way carriers set up plans now a days in 2 year cycles, means its gonna be impossible to stay current. and apple will probably just keep adding things that shouldve been included in the original iphone 4 i.e. NFC technology, 4g LTE, etc. those are things that couldve have been on the iphone 4 or the 4s, but now they will just nerf the hardware and add those things every 6 months so that you feel the need to buy a new iphone, madness like i said.

Might be switching to blackberry because of this, its just ridiculous. Youll only have the best phone for 6 months now razz
June 12, 2011 @ 01:19 PM
PlatinumRespect

^ lol thats a terrible reason to switch from an iPhone to a blackberry. haha smh

and to be honest, if this is true, it may actually offer dramatically different models instead of having the same style with small tweaks.

perhaps a slide out keyboard?
June 12, 2011 @ 01:24 PM
Scotty

one other thing. if i were to buy an iPhone through verizon instead of bestbuy - and then bring it to bestbuy to trade in and put toward the newer version - would i get the same value back that i would if i bought the phone through bestbuy?

U wont be able to go back to best buy to trade it in.. U have to buy it through best buy and buy the the buy back program which 60 bucks on an iphone... Check verizon and ask them if they have an early upgrade charge.. Basically just have to pay 300 for the new phone instead of 200.. Thats what did for my 4 when it first came out..

Also i dont think Apple is going to have a a new phone every 6 months.. It would be bad from them, cause there stock would go down.. They will just do it every year like they have been.. It just got messed up cause Verizon didnt get the iphone til february this year so it look slike every 6 months.. BUt really the 4 came out last year already and the 4s is releasing around september.. Which is alittle over a year and same goes with 5 which isnt going to release til next year..
June 12, 2011 @ 01:44 PM
PlatinumRespect

scotty do u think the next one, if it releases in sept will run on the 4G network?
June 12, 2011 @ 02:12 PM
Carlton C-Note Banks

4G isn't likely to happen with the very next one because they're likely to wait until 4G/LTE doesn't kill the battery so quickly. They never sacrifice battery life for those kinds of features, and unless it doesn't mess with the battery, it probably will be introduced in 2012. And a slide out keyboard? Sorry but that's just a bad idea.

And the 6 month interval isn't happening either. It seems like blogs will write about anything just to get page views. The whole article was basically "the iPhone 5 is coming out in Sept/Oct, so they're going to a 6 month interval" with a lot of THEIR speculation on why it would "make sense." Speculation is fine but they lack the evidence and try to pass it off as though it's factually based, which is already misleading people. Their only "evidence" is that the iPhone 5 releases in Sept/Oct, everything else they say is just speculation. Don't get so riled up over a poorly written article that "predicts" something bold for the page views. It doesn't even make much sense if you take the time to analyze what it presents. Feel free to put me on blast if I'm wrong in a year.

Please login first to reply.