Free Worldwide Shipping on Orders Over $150.00 USD or more - Use Code: HBSHIP150
February 21, 2006 @ 05:39 PM

Inactive

I posted the following response in the other forum but figured that new Nike SB Hawaii PELE owners are probably scratching their heads right about now and are probably wondering what to do.

What is the orange made of on the Pele toe? I was running and when I looked down the black had rubbed off..

This one's gonna be a tough one and I don't have the best answer yet.

It appears that the Pele toebox is made of some kind of ultra-sensitive suede variant (in other words, not the same kind of DURABUCK that Nike's used on the Tokyo URLS). I write "ultra-sensitive" because it stains easily and when you try to gently rub off the stain, the orange comes off too. See, I've had my Hawaii's for a coupla weeks now and after wearing them for just a day or two, I noticed that the black upper rubbed off onto the orange toebox. When I used an old tee shirt to rub out the stain, the orange came off onto the tee which then made one part of the shoe look lighter than the rest--so I had to clean the whole toebox in order to even out the shade which, in turn, made the whole toebox look faded and 6 months older than it really is. Bah.

So how do I clean them?

No easy answer here: you either wear them carefully and less often than you like, or try and gently clean the entire toebox and have shoes that look a few months older than they really are.

The Hawaii's are hella comfy, but they don't seem to be clean-able in the ordinary sense of shoe cleaning. Any tips from Hawaii owners would be appreciated.
February 21, 2006 @ 05:44 PM
Staff

Hmmmmm, i havent worn mine yet. But i'm thinking about not anymore.....

I have tried them on and I like them, but with this problem and the clear sole seems like they will be a pain in the ass.
February 21, 2006 @ 05:52 PM
thisisourevenge

Fashion>Function in Nikes.
February 21, 2006 @ 06:30 PM

Inactive

That's why people say the older the better....
Yesterdays Quality > Todays Quality
February 21, 2006 @ 06:36 PM

Inactive

the best way to clean suede is boil the kettle and when its steaming, put the suede bit over it but not too close and jus rub it and gone smile . . .

worked for me . . .
but not on hawaii's tho aint worn them yet . . .
February 21, 2006 @ 06:47 PM

Inactive

I too just copped a pair of Hawaii's and boy do they smell. :D

I'm guessing the glue or materials they used to put these things together are semi-toxic! No wonder they have to manufacturer these things overseas.

As for cleaning, I can see the problems others are running into. I'm wondering if you use some type of spray protectant like Scotchguard, or similar leather/suede care item, if it would work in keeping these kicks so fresh so clean?

I found this link that touches upon suede upkeep and cleaning:

www.leatherworldtech.com/SuedeNuBuckCare.aspx

Hope this helps, god help me if I get anything on my new Pele's.
February 21, 2006 @ 07:06 PM

Inactive

good post!
im guna be seriously cautious
February 21, 2006 @ 07:10 PM

Inactive

Ha cuz I was gonna pick these up but my spot sold out so I poicked up blazers and p-rods. So happy I did now. :dance:
February 21, 2006 @ 08:16 PM
xmikeygotsolex

suede eraser works great u used em on my crystals idk about hawaiis though i hear that they stain form a lot of ppl i dont know about getting rid of stains.
February 21, 2006 @ 09:34 PM
Dai D

:warn: [FONT="Verdana"][/FONT]I had the exact problem with my cherry SBs. The brown rubbed off on to the toebox and once I try to clean it the pink came off leaving a spot there. :warn:
February 21, 2006 @ 09:44 PM
Liquid Swords

Lameeeeeeee
February 22, 2006 @ 08:53 AM

Inactive

damn, i don't think i'll wear mine now.
February 22, 2006 @ 11:27 AM
SoenSole

Damn thanks man .. Now i know to be extra cautious with my hawaii's.
February 22, 2006 @ 12:01 PM
Peter Suh

My girl told me to put clear nail polish on the part that rubs on the orange.. I don't know about that though.
February 22, 2006 @ 12:39 PM

Inactive

i dunno about that but the steam techniques quite good
February 22, 2006 @ 12:53 PM

Inactive

i dunno about that but the steam techniques quite good

have u actually tried it on your hawaiis?
February 22, 2006 @ 01:51 PM

Inactive

what about that suede repelent? i got some of that a while ago at footaction. it says that it repels dirt and dust and other shit. it just says surface must be clean before you apply. if you do it before you rock them, will it work?
February 22, 2006 @ 02:42 PM
Peter Suh

^Haha.. too late for that!
February 22, 2006 @ 02:56 PM

Inactive

Broke..my girl puts that shit over like..rhinestone Guess? buckles and they stay in..even after months of usage..maybe the girls are onto something..but id be skeptical on shoes..:confused:
February 22, 2006 @ 04:40 PM

Inactive

I was just looking over my Hawaiis, and sprintr6 mentioned earlier about the smell. They do smell incredibly plastic-ish when you take a whiff up close. Also the orange toebox has a matte quality which, if you use your fingers to give it a couple rubs, comes off fairly easily. I'm guessing that any kind of moisture will darken the orange considerably and make the shoes look much older than they actually are, so make sure to spray them with an aerosol stain repellant beforehand (several coats recommended) before taking them out for a victory lap. It won't be 100% dirt proof, but rather will attract much less dirt than wearing them with nothing on.
February 22, 2006 @ 05:24 PM

Inactive

might sell my pair now . . .
February 22, 2006 @ 09:02 PM

Inactive

what about that suede repelent? i got some of that a while ago at footaction. it says that it repels dirt and dust and other shit. it just says surface must be clean before you apply. if you do it before you rock them, will it work?

Done did it and the stuff's meant to coat the suede in the same way that water repellent coats a material, which is good for the occasional spray of dust or drop of water...but isn't industrial enough to repel the black uppers from scratching the orange lowers.

Also the orange toebox has a matte quality which, if you use your fingers to give it a couple rubs, comes off fairly easily. I'm guessing that any kind of moisture will darken the orange considerably and make the shoes look much older than they actually are, so make sure to spray them with an aerosol stain repellant beforehand (several coats recommended) before taking them out for a victory lap. It won't be 100% dirt proof, but rather will attract much less dirt than wearing them with nothing on.

Any liquid will darken them, but only for a little while: that is, until the liquid dries up (that's what will happen when you spray water repellent on them). Again, we're not talking about the occasional dirt spell, I'm talking about a design flaw: the black "suede" uppers rub against the matte "suede" lowers...an inevitable match up since you've gotta bend your foot to move forward...and scuff up the lowers.

On another note, after a few wears, the orange material softens up and becomes a bit wrinkled, which worsens the aged look of the kicks. I'll take some pix later this week to show you guys what I'm talking about.
February 22, 2006 @ 09:17 PM

Inactive

Ive rocked my hawaiis for 2 days in a row now. I have insoles in side them to prevent creasing. I'll upload some pictures later.....

Im really upset at how worn they get in just a few days....damn you nike!!!!!!
February 22, 2006 @ 09:22 PM

Inactive

Hmm.. Looks like we'll need to summon all the help we can get to keep these nice and fresh........ :stoneface:
February 22, 2006 @ 09:56 PM

Inactive

ive seen brand new joints on the shelf that already have stains from dudes nasty ass fingers.. yeah you ain't cleaning that
February 23, 2006 @ 12:43 AM
Liquid Swords

Some dude from ISS's hawaiis.

February 23, 2006 @ 12:53 AM

Inactive

yup.. just like the undftds..
February 23, 2006 @ 08:18 AM

Inactive

:warn: [FONT="Verdana"][/FONT]I had the exact problem with my cherry SBs. The brown rubbed off on to the toebox and once I try to clean it the pink came off leaving a spot there. :warn:

I got this problem with my Slam Citys too. Black rubbing onto the tan toebox.
February 23, 2006 @ 08:24 AM
Peter Suh

UNDFTDs are fking rediculous..

yup.. just like the undftds..

Slams too? :stoneface: :confused:

I got this problem with my Slam Citys too. Black rubbing onto the tan toebox.
February 23, 2006 @ 09:20 AM

Inactive

wheres the black mark coming from ? ? ?

Please login first to reply.