Free Worldwide Shipping on Orders Over $150.00 USD or more - Use Code: HBSHIP150
January 24, 2007 @ 12:49 AM
hondazoom

Dunks have, are, and probobly will always look good. However, they've become a catalyst for fad-chasing boppers. Everywhere I look I see GRs, played sbs, and people rocking women's dunks. Now everyone has a right to wear what they please, but it makes me sick when i see someone draped from head-to-toe in 10 deep or The Hundreds(or that played out tk hoodie) with some Journeys dunks to top it off. Worst part of it is they think they try and kick knowlage about streetwear in the process, when in fact they just started embracing it last month.

I doubt I'll deal with this very much after high-school(thank god it's senior year). But until then, I'm copping AF 180s and AMs.

*feel free to build upon this/disagree/or whatever*
January 24, 2007 @ 01:06 AM
b18c5typer01

I agree with you dude, it pisses me off when kids walk around with a pair of new school sb's, which btw are all trash now. Everyone thinks they are the shit with their new sb's , and crazy looking hoodies. They ruined the fun of being a sneaker head, cause it seems like every one is a sneaker head now. I especially feel bad for you since ur in hs, and u prob see a bunch of kids walking around in their dunks or jordans thinking they are the shit. Its fun how all the kids act like they know about every sneaker in the world. Lmfao the worst thing is people now wear some super fruity clothing and think they are fly.
January 24, 2007 @ 01:36 AM
Mitsume

Its why i rock AM1's! smile
January 24, 2007 @ 01:47 AM
neonecko

heh, I saw a lot of dunks at school today. Everything from purp avengers to mork and mindys. Doesn't really bother me. They've got nice shoes, good for them. Better then some of that other garbage i see daily.
January 24, 2007 @ 05:24 AM
Shanklin

Im A newb to the game and people gotta start somewhere imo so 'fad chasing' as you see it may not be the same to them, since they need to actually buy the shit to be what they wanna be.

http://kevinshanklin.com/ IF YOU HAVE A FFFOUND.COM INVITE MSG ME

January 24, 2007 @ 06:05 AM
shadow_steppin

I do sort of agree that yes Dunks are getting played out, but that doesn't mean i've lost my passion towards kicks, i mean the way i see it is i have a reasonable sized collection of kicks i wear, so now that every one is wearing Dunks i'll wear my AM's more... and if every one wears AM's i'll wear AF's more, so really its just a matter of going against what every one is wearing at that moment

agree
January 24, 2007 @ 06:07 AM
MisfitProdigy

thank god nobody rocks dunks like that at my school accept a few people, people do rock the fruity color clothes though, that's why i wear black and white stuff
January 24, 2007 @ 06:50 AM
profecy

It seems like the gr dunks that aren't sbs or rare are rarely seen on streetwear kids. I'm sticking with my dunk undftd highs and my white and black p rods.

It is annoying seeing new streetwear kids try to kick knowledge, but although they are oversaturating the market they are helping it grow so some brands can put more money into their company and create better garments. I don't understand the hate on all the new hypebeasters (ya some should use the search button). I remember first getting into dunks and this whole scene no one is born with the knowledge everyone starts new.
January 24, 2007 @ 07:54 AM
MystaX

^very true, everyone did have to start somewhere... but its like when i was getting into it i knew my place... i wouldnt ask annoying (i.e. previously asked) questions, nor would i give out false information that ive notice some new posters have...

but yea back onto dunks... i went to the mall a couple weekends ago (which i havent done in a while since most of my money goes into my soho ventures nowadays) and i did see tons of kids wearing journeys dunks, and maybe a couple of the newer SBs (no heat tho)... and i think it wouldve bugged me more if i saw tons of fakes on ppl's feet, so at least the shoe is getting its due
January 24, 2007 @ 10:43 AM
RonJeremy

The D.C. scene is really really bad. I just try to not pay attention and just do me.
January 24, 2007 @ 11:37 AM
owensA

I go to a private college of almost 20,000 underclassmen in a major city (with tons of wealthy kids and asians who are often a large part of the streetwear purchasers) and I rarely see people rocking dunks, let alone SBs or rare Nikes, and if a bunch of em did wear em i really wouldn't care. People seem to bitch about shit getting played out when they see 1 or 2 other people rockin similiar kicks that they have; guess what that doesn't affect the aesthetic appeal of ur sneaks. The chance of me seeing someone rocking a pair of Hawaiis or Send Helps is like 1 in a 500,000; compare that with the odds of seeing a kid wearing a pair of black chucks and you then have a REAL example of a shoe having widespread popularity. And for one, despite all the hype on the TK hoody here I've yet to see one person rock it in person and being in a big college in a city I walk by a TON of peope each day. You should be defining your sneaker game based upon your own sense of style not based upon what others wear or don't wear. It seems that you're really a product of the fad process just as much as those fad chasers.
January 24, 2007 @ 11:42 AM
RonJeremy

^TRUTH. Preach on.
January 24, 2007 @ 03:28 PM
GMoney

the way it is in my area is kinda like HB. we are all hear because we share a common interest in kicks and other shit like that. very few people around my way rock sb's. most people rock retro jays, mainly because everyone thinks they are hardcore thugs here in the burg. but anyways very few people rock sb's so i dont think they are gettin played out, in areas like mine they are only just beginning and as far as people thinkin they know everything yea there are some punk-ass kids that think they OWN sb and know everything about it for the most part we share our knowledge. almost every person ive seen i have either asked them or they asked me where we got our kicks and surprisingly its usually the same place so by that little bit of communication we spread the knowledge i think.....but anyways i guess its alot easier and friendlier here when it comes to seeing other people rockin any kind of hypebeast attire.
January 24, 2007 @ 03:37 PM
itdiedin98

^Agree. Where I live I'm like the only person that rocks SBs. I know a couple of skaters that do but basically its just me. I'm the only person I've seen anywhere around here who is into streetwear, sneakers, etc. Everybody else around here just rock Jordans and AF1s (most of them are fake too). I'm the only person around here that dresses the way that I do and everyday people are always asking me where I got my clothes from. Here if I see people that dress more like me (streetwear, SBs, etc.) it is more like being a relief to me rather than getting mad about what I see. I understand other peoples situation because I'm from the area that I believe is being effected the worst by this, the DC metro area.
January 24, 2007 @ 03:49 PM

Yea...I mean I kinda feel you on this, but I mean this is something I've been dealing with for a minute.

When I was in highschool, (late 90's to 2000,) the only kids who rocked Jordans were the hip hop kids, and most of them were black. I'm half chinese and half white, and I'm pretty much hip hop to death.

But back then the only dudes who would comment on my kicks were the kids who were into hip hop. I was one of the only non black kids who were rockin the new jordans to school and shit, and rockin air max plus' and what not. (as a side note, MAD asian heads were rockin shell toes back then, but by early 2000's them jock ass preppy dudes started rockin em, and I had to retire my shells.)

Nowadays I see the typical skater type kid/hipster rockin jordans and it bothers me. Before it was like the skater kids rocked their skater shoes....and that was that. (this was before SBs dropped)

I mean, its gonna happen no matter what. I've learned to deal with that hipster look, rockin Jordans and dunks and what not.....You just gotta stay true to you.

After all, NOT wearin kicks because other people wear them is as bad as WEARIN kicks because other people wear em.

Also, I just started rockin chucks now as a "fuck you" to all those former punk/skater dudes who think they know hip hop cuz they listen to kool keith and Jurassic 5. They wanna take my jordans and shit? Fine, I'ma take your chucks......
January 24, 2007 @ 04:51 PM
JKISSI

Hey i rock what i want and i dont give a fuck if posers or boppers or w/e are on them becuz i know ill stay true to the game.. ya know
January 24, 2007 @ 06:05 PM
bmorekicks

After all, NOT wearin kicks because other people wear them is as bad as WEARIN kicks because other people wear em.

I never see any sbs or limited kicks in Bmore, unless they are on my feet. But I have heard a lot of the DC/PG people complaining since like last summer about people hopping on the bandwagon.
January 24, 2007 @ 06:14 PM
Freshcity

It's better than having them rock makavelli af1 ripoffs with hundred dollar bills printed on them, and xxxl tee shirts with some thugged out cartoon character that says hustlin' on it.
at my school, the kids who try to jack streetwear steeze actually look up to me, and are asking questions about stuff so they dont just go out and waste money of some fapes they didnt know were fake, and a clh hoodie that looks like ass.

plus, really, i can't think of a more attractive shoe than dunks
January 24, 2007 @ 06:15 PM
RUBYRHODSOHIP

LOL....I just thought of something. So it seems most of you guys are "OGs" far as being sneakerheads. Well, when those kids/HS hop-ons/etc. get older a few percent of those people are going to become "real" sneakerheads. Then, as times goes by(4 or 5 years), those "sneakerheads" are going to be saying the same thing discussed on this thread, how people are jumping on there "style" and it is making them sick. There is a pattern that will probably keep repeating itselfs for years to come(as long underground is fashion popular). You all mad how people seem to start to jump on something that you been doing for 6 years or longer and then those "new" sneakerheads are going to complaining and so on and so on.

^After a while, it won't matter.

Actually, these "hop-ons/newbies" probably don't know 80% of the brands you wear anyways expect for the shoes and they probably just go to there local Skate Shop or footlocker for there dunks and SBs while we go a lot further than that. Then, shop at there local Jimmy Jazz or any other type of store that sells a couple brands of underground stuff. The reason why they are wearing 10 deep, Artful Dodger, crooks and castle, Shmack, and The Hundreds because they are being sold in the local " hip-hop" clothing stores and malls now. It makes me mad that those brands decided to put there products on the "streets" but it is just about money. Now, sportzone and footlocker or w/e are starting to sell friuty colorful hoodies/Fape and the hop-ons quickly go to those stores.

No type of "hop-ons" knows what Supreme, Mighty Healthy, Stussy(some do), No Mas, Mishka, playing for keeps, Kiser,etc....Which puts a big smile on my face when I mention these brands.

>sad razz
January 24, 2007 @ 06:23 PM
soundbomber

Dunks are not played out, they are just getting overrated. SB's are still pretty exclusive, due to mainly only skaters wearing them (excluding those that just collect them/or buy them to rock WDYWT style). Sooner or later AM1 will be overrated too, it's just a matter of time.
January 24, 2007 @ 06:28 PM
rga125

^^ the hundreds are selling in malls ??? dam i havent shopped in a mall in a long ass time I did not know that !
January 24, 2007 @ 07:24 PM
motherfucker

true peeps in high school claim they know the shoe game and everything about it and what not,,my ass when all they focus about is sb's like come on
thats why i stick to the saying "stand alone and inspire".i just wanna throw my home slippers at those punks that think they rock the nicest shoes when there just plain wack
January 24, 2007 @ 07:55 PM
filipin0y

ive been done with dunks for the longest time
thats why i rock ams blazers and vans of course!
January 24, 2007 @ 07:58 PM
Papercutninja

If you think Dunks are played out, then don't buy them. I think the whole sneakerhead/alloverprint/new era/streetwear scene is totally played. But that doesn't mean i don't love me a nice colourway of a GR Dunk, or a good-lookin hoodie. Just buy what you like. I don't buy this shit to show off or wear because everyone else either has it or don't have it. I just wear/buy it because i love it. I was never into AMs, and i probably won't ever buy them. Even though AMs, Stabs and Court Forces are the next Dunks. So what if some lame ass kid is wearing the same sneakers as you. If that makes you hate them, you never loved "the game".
January 24, 2007 @ 08:04 PM
soundbomber

It's not the people that are overrating dunks, it's the idiots who makes fakes, because those posers or hype riders will go and tell all their friends about the cool "DEALS" they found on ebay, then they'll all buy some fake dunks not knowing that the authentics run about $300. This process is pretty much then repeated over and over again, which results in a flood of embryos running around claiming how "FRESH" they are.
January 24, 2007 @ 08:05 PM
Mitsume

plus, really, i can't think of a more attractive shoe than dunks

AM 1's? &) smile smile
January 24, 2007 @ 08:08 PM
rufus

Dunks have, are, and probobly will always look good. However, they've become a catalyst for fad-chasing boppers. Everywhere I look I see GRs, played sbs, and people rocking women's dunks. Now everyone has a right to wear what they please, but it makes me sick when i see someone draped from head-to-toe in 10 deep or The Hundreds(or that played out tk hoodie) with some Journeys dunks to top it off. Worst part of it is they think they try and kick knowlage about streetwear in the process, when in fact they just started embracing it last month.

I doubt I'll deal with this very much after high-school(thank god it's senior year). But until then, I'm copping AF 180s and AMs.

*feel free to build upon this/disagree/or whatever*

hey man i work at journey's, some of the stuff there has become pretty mainstream but alot of it is ill like the new plaid ones. they're limited edition so you wont see that many kids wearin them, but the plain ones are pretty mainstream not gonna lie. but you can't knock on journey's since most of the new shit thats come out that is ill is exclusive there. now 6.0's that they sell at Zumiez and Pac Sun are whack and you see alot more kids walkin around with those on.
January 24, 2007 @ 08:10 PM
itdiedin98

I never see any sbs or limited kicks in Bmore, unless they are on my feet. But I have heard a lot of the DC/PG people complaining since like last summer about people hopping on the bandwagon.

Agree. Its like that all over PG and DC.
January 24, 2007 @ 08:19 PM
itdiedin98

I hate when people talk about sneakers and act like they know what they are talking about. We had the first day of the second semester at school today and I embarrased some kid thinking he knows some shit about Jordans. I don't even wear Jordans but I know more shit about them than this would ever know. He was sitting there with his fake as VIIs on. I've been a sneakerhead my whole life and this is just a part of me so when I see people just following hype and seeing fake ass sneakerheads and shit I just get a little upset.
January 24, 2007 @ 08:23 PM
soundbomber

poserkid: Yo yo my Jordans be mad authentic.

- trobertson2007 proceeds to school poserkid on why his Jordans are fake -

- poserkid is speechless and stands there looking dumb -

trobertson2007: You just got hypebeasted sonnnn!

Please login first to reply.