300+ New Sale Items (Up to 80% Off Selected Brands)
December 1, 2006 @ 01:45 AM
DotaFreak

I heard rumors that Nike threaten accounts of retailers that carry styles of shoes that effect their sales and business. Either they close the account of other people or Nike will stop supplying to them. Is this true or just a rumor ?
December 1, 2006 @ 11:31 AM
paulp

i doubt it man
that sounds illegal
December 1, 2006 @ 02:15 PM
itdiedin98

I don't think that's true.
December 1, 2006 @ 05:53 PM
beatbroker

it's definitely true.
i have a friend who runs a boutique with a tier 1 nike account.
they started carrying greedy genius sneakers and were almost immediately
told by their nike rep that if they didn't cut all ties with greedy that their Nike
account would be canceled.
i don't know if they would have actually canceled the account but the threat
was absolutely made and he did stop carrying greedy as a result.

shitty tactics for a company who is in no danger at all of losing money.
December 1, 2006 @ 06:01 PM
neonecko

razz Wow^! That sounds mad illegal. Boo to Nike for that. How would carrying other brands hurt their sales. The only SBs left sitting on the shelf are sh!ty ones which shouldn't have been released anyways
December 1, 2006 @ 06:57 PM
itdiedin98

it's definitely true.
i have a friend who runs a boutique with a tier 1 nike account.
they started carrying greedy genius sneakers and were almost immediately
told by their nike rep that if they didn't cut all ties with greedy that their Nike
account would be canceled.
i don't know if they would have actually canceled the account but the threat
was absolutely made and he did stop carrying greedy as a result.

shitty tactics for a company who is in no danger at all of losing money.

Wow. If this is true I have nothing to say. I still can't believe it though.
December 1, 2006 @ 08:50 PM

Inactive

I don't know if they threaten companies that aready carry their products, but they won't give new accounts out to stores that carry shoes from brands like Bape and Greedy Genius.
December 2, 2006 @ 11:50 PM
kicks_freak

Yea, i hard it's true!

Wouldn't it be nice though to have a store that has all the shoe brand that we love?
December 3, 2006 @ 02:31 PM
mr. newbie

my place carries forces gns and some bapes.
December 3, 2006 @ 03:28 PM
Daijobu

This asian guy that owns an almost exclusively adidas store on melrose (its like a little ways after where golden apple used to be.. same side of the street and whatnot) told me how he only carries adidas (and converse) now because adidas is the best with their merchants.

He said he used to carry jordans and limited airforces etc, but nike reps would come in and slowly but surely dictate what shoes he could or could not sell in his store, he then explained that they started to threaten him with lower account prestige if he didnt stop selling adidas, which he refused. But rather than let them take his account away he instead closed it himself.

He actually told me he thought he was getting blackballed by nike because he was an asian owner.. WHICH BY THEN I WAS LIKE "CMON NOW MAN.." but he stuck by it.

By the way I was in there buying hightop white converses, not adidas, which they only had about a half size lower than what I wanted.
December 3, 2006 @ 03:35 PM
DotaFreak

there was another brand before that was making some noise in the mass market. It had a crown logo or something.. Because i remember reading in other forums long ago by this brand owner who claimed the same thing. I wouldn't be surprised at all honestly. Now the brand has been killed by Nike.

Does anyone remember that brand name ? It looks like a crown or something. At one point of time.. i saw them in every store i can imagine and not they are no where to be found. They made a big deal out of it.

Look at Ben and Jerry's icecream !!! They were also getting played by the big coporates when they were really indepenent and small. And because they made big complaints and had media backing them up. They crawled their way back up against them. Everyone remembers this and can still search for the articles and news they made on Google. Here's the story http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ben_&_Jerry's

Coz of things like this i support the independent brands
December 3, 2006 @ 03:43 PM
mr. newbie

^supra
December 3, 2006 @ 04:03 PM
kicks_freak

It is 100% true.. That's how all this tier 0 and Tier 1 accounts started to build up. They make certain stores have more power and give them better shoes. Those who don't follow their business plan and listen, don't get those accounts. Many stores with very good credit and history try very hard to apply to those special accounts. My uncle is a very good example.

It may not be NIKE's main company making all this stuff happen but for sure Sales Reps and people who represent Nike that handle these accounts and make sales commisson off sales get shady and make these politics occur. It's really unfair to many people especially many brands who have potential. They control the image of other brands but not giving them oppurtunity to get into better stores.
December 3, 2006 @ 06:42 PM
itdiedin98

suprised
December 3, 2006 @ 06:45 PM
SB_Hitikori

sounds very believable to me
they just trying to "secure" they money
December 3, 2006 @ 06:51 PM
itdiedin98

Nike could probably get sued for that. It sounds illegal.
December 4, 2006 @ 03:28 AM
SARUNY10

there was another brand before that was making some noise in the mass market. It had a crown logo or something.. Because i remember reading in other forums long ago by this brand owner who claimed the same thing. I wouldn't be surprised at all honestly. Now the brand has been killed by Nike.

Does anyone remember that brand name ? It looks like a crown or something. At one point of time.. i saw them in every store i can imagine and not they are no where to be found. They made a big deal out of it.

Look at Ben and Jerry's icecream !!! They were also getting played by the big coporates when they were really indepenent and small. And because they made big complaints and had media backing them up. They crawled their way back up against them. Everyone remembers this and can still search for the articles and news they made on Google. Here's the story http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ben_&_Jerry's

Coz of things like this i support the independent brands

Yea i remember this Ben and Jerry story. This is a great example actually. But what can they do honestly ?? It's not easy to start and brand and line so easily. Especially with shoes because alot more is involved and seems more complicated than just making a t-shirt !!

Great post though
December 8, 2006 @ 05:06 AM
SARUNY10

I've asked a few more friends who are in the retail business and turns out the story is true. That's shady act of business !!
December 8, 2006 @ 06:18 AM
avenger123

sounds stupid; y would they do that
December 8, 2006 @ 06:13 PM
paulp

I've asked a few more friends who are in the retail business and turns out the story is true. That's shady act of business !!

damn man
thats really shitty to hear
December 8, 2006 @ 06:24 PM
sneakerHI

thats not right of nike to do that...
1. it sounds illegal
2. they shouldnt be worried of losing customers
and
4. their SB line is making so much dough that they dont have to worry bout it

and if all this is true then what will their customrs think?

it makes no sense at all......suprised
December 8, 2006 @ 06:32 PM
paulp

1. it sounds illegal
and

ive been thinking about this
and they prob do this
just like how walmart bullies thier suppliers
its dirty business
but when it boils down to it
its business
December 8, 2006 @ 07:29 PM

Inactive

1. it sounds illegal
and

1. I doubt it's illegal but its still a shitty thing to do

2. MOst of their customers will never hear about what they're doing

4.(don't know where 3 went) SB's make up a very small percentage of their sales.
December 8, 2006 @ 08:10 PM
gferny

Nike also makes you buy other sneakers if you want a specific type. I use to work at a shoe store and if they wanted like a certain airmax they would have them buy a "package deal" that say included nike cortezs
December 9, 2006 @ 03:04 AM
paulp

Nike also makes you buy other sneakers if you want a specific type. I use to work at a shoe store and if they wanted like a certain airmax they would have them buy a "package deal" that say included nike cortezs

same goes for sbs
if you want the good shit
you gotta buy all the crap that doesnt sell
thats why some skate shops close down
"they cant afford the nike sb account"
stores like huf get mad priority, they dont have to buy the garbage to get the gold
December 9, 2006 @ 07:02 AM
xcursedx

supra did'nt get killed by nike, there just a small skate shoe company
December 9, 2006 @ 07:17 AM

Inactive

sounds stupid; y would they do that

why don't you think before you post.

Anyway this type of thing is not new. In the UK it also happens alot with shit like candy and icecream. Brands such as Nestle or Cadbury will provide small grocery stores with new freezers and new store front branded refits - the catch? they cannot sell any other rival brand products.
December 10, 2006 @ 09:58 AM
bomber

My friend who worked at an athletic shop back in the day used to tell me about that. They also apparently make you order whatever range of sizes, even if some of them will never ever sell (like 15's or something).

There used to be a shop in Portland called Harputs that only carried Adidas for the most part. They are gone now (the Portland one, not the main SF one) but I remember one of the employees saying that Nike was a pain in the ass as well...
December 10, 2006 @ 10:20 AM
bklynbenz

bottom line....business is business.

this falls right in line with how nike tells the shops that they have to purchase x amount of clothes/accessories to go along with a drop, latest example...all the gear the shops had to take with the mafia pack release (wool long overcoat, scarf, fedora, dress pants, hoodies, tees, etc)
December 10, 2006 @ 06:51 PM
Cipherman

I find it so strange that people think that St. Nike would do such back handed dealings...but c'mon, do you think the shareholders care if the CEO is johnny cupcakes....do you think 30 years ago...if Addidas did the same thing to Nike...Nike would be where they are now...the big guys always have to worry about the next nigo....large companies come and go...and the fortune 500's are just as likely to go bankrupt as little guys....just ask kenneth Lay....

www.cipherism.com

Please login first to reply.