August 18, 2012 @ 07:56 AM
sneakerpreneur

Hi my name is Jessie and I'm an entrepreneur. I have executed several exits in high profile semi-conductor and technology businesses and I'm on hypebeast today to get the communities' opinion on a new venture I will be launching revolving around sneakers. I wouldn't call myself a sneakerhead but I do know a thing or two about the sneaker game. From what I see, this is a market itching for disruption. Unsatisfied customers, low inventory, monopolistic companies that don't create quality product, and best of all, an extreme spike in demand. I want my venture to make the sneaker game more pleasant for you. What I would like you to do is tell me what you think is wrong with the sneaker game. What would you like changed? What do you hate the most? What do you like? Just to be clear, I AM NOT creating my own sneaker brand. I am simply interested in creating a service that betters the life of those interested in sneakers. Please feel free to PM with any info as well. Thank you for your time.
August 19, 2012 @ 05:05 PM
tuddy306

i've been away for awhile. i am just back into my sneAker collection in order. i wiil just briefly relay this sory. a friend show me a pair of New Balance 1600 heritage blue. then claims i'll never get em! he was almost right. i first order thme from a place called Kith ny. they accept order cofirm then cancel. i started noticing how "hard it is to get certain shoes. listen they're fuckn sneakers, not special odering a Bently! also Eastbay was Eastbay now its all footlocker owned. i have to deal with "boutiques" cause of my taste. no inentory high priceS. just seems all to complicated for shoea
August 21, 2012 @ 09:03 PM
greathoudini

I don't care about retro's but the quality of these new releases allways suck. When you open a box of jordan brand shoes they smell like they're made in Tsjernobyl.
And it sucks that it's so hot right now to be a sneakerhead and cop every hyped release.
August 21, 2012 @ 09:03 PM
greathoudini

Damn sorry, double post.
August 21, 2012 @ 09:13 PM
zachies

I have no problem with it.
August 21, 2012 @ 09:17 PM
greathoudini

That's the only reasons for me, I like everything else about collecting sneakers.
August 22, 2012 @ 06:15 PM
thesolecollector23

over inflation on inferior quality product,not enough supply for demand and re-sellers are what fuck up the sneaker game!
but that's how the company wants it we all know what brand i'm talking about.

Mista No Slack N My Mack

August 23, 2012 @ 08:30 AM
greathoudini

About the quality: I once saw an article in sneakerfreaker about the lack od quality now a days and it seems that the price of materials keeps getting higher so brand have to cut down on quality or higher the price. When they higher the price nobody buys their shoes again so they have to lower the quality, sucks though.
August 23, 2012 @ 07:43 PM
Tyler

Do you actually even have an idea for a venture? Or are you looking at this business as a cash grab like everyone else recently? If you knew ANYTHING about "the sneaker game" you wouldn't have to make posts like this, because you would already have an idea of where YOU think innovation needs to happen. This is a really sad attempt at market research.

Tyler, The Fucking Hater My brand: WOODER www.woodersupply.com

August 23, 2012 @ 08:48 PM
sneakerpreneur

Do you actually even have an idea for a venture? Or are you looking at this business as a cash grab like everyone else recently? If you knew ANYTHING about "the sneaker game" you wouldn't have to make posts like this, because you would already have an idea of where YOU think innovation needs to happen. This is a really sad attempt at market research.

I have multiple ideas for ventures. The reason I'm on this forum is because I wanted to see what the consensus opinion was on the sneaker market and to see if there were any problems that I haven't uncovered. I didn't ask anybody here for an idea. I asked them what their gripes were. From there I would create a solution that solved those problems. Even if I had asked for business ideas, that means nothing. Ideas are a dime a dozen, execution is what matters. In the future, don't question someone that's done it before.
August 23, 2012 @ 08:58 PM
sneakerpreneur

From what I see, the major issue is price. Right now, people have two decisions. Wait for hours in line and buy at retail or pay a huge markup in the after-market. What I have to do is uncover a third solution which allows people to buy shoes at a reasonable price and without waiting in egregious lines. Thank you for the feedback, keep it coming.
August 24, 2012 @ 12:11 AM
God Usopp

The resellers...
August 26, 2012 @ 10:46 PM
junglefeverinidaho

The problem is the ones that are limited are too limited, try getting a pair of Jardan 11's.
too many retros and followers

The retros are the only recent things coming out, not at all the problem, in fact I'm dying for some Nike David Robinson's, Reebok Kemp's and Shaqnosis'.
August 27, 2012 @ 06:41 PM
backson

...From there I would create a solution that solved those problems. ...

the manufacturers and retailers don't want your help. the problems with the "sneaker game" is good business for them. and if you're considering a retailing (reseller) service then you'll become part of the problem.

only way to fix perceived problems with the "sneaker game" is brand expansion, more choices, more competition. but you can't make people like your stuff...
August 28, 2012 @ 05:18 AM
sneakerpreneur

...From there I would create a solution that solved those problems. ...

the manufacturers and retailers don't want your help. the problems with the "sneaker game" is good business for them. and if you're considering a retailing (reseller) service then you'll become part of the problem.

only way to fix perceived problems with the "sneaker game" is brand expansion, more choices, more competition. but you can't make people like your stuff...

I don't want to help the manufacturers. I'm creating a service that is going to offset the problems they have caused by not creating enough supply for their consumer base. Re-sellers are obviously the biggest issue and this comes directly from the lack of inventory. Re-sellers buy extra pairs and sell them at a crazy markup because they can. People in this forum buy those shoes after market at those crazy prices and that's why re-sellers still exist. If I can come in with a service that disrupts this after market by offering shoes say at $200 a pair in the after market, I'm sure the community would welcome me. There's nothing I can do to make Nike create more inventory but I can put an end to the crazy prices people pay in the after market. Logistically, this will be a challenge but that's where my creativity comes in. Brand expansion, more choices, and more competition are virtually impossible to create. Nike holds a 4.5% market share in sportswear. There's plenty of choices out there, but there's a reason why people continually go crazy over Nike shoes. Nike has built brand equity and appeal by aligning themselves with the biggest stars in all of sports and by marketing effectively. Nothing will ever completely take away Nike's appeal the same as nothing will ever take away Coke's appeal completely without a major meltdown on their part.
August 28, 2012 @ 06:51 AM

Inactive

quality
August 28, 2012 @ 08:53 AM
diamondsare4ever

the resellers are whats wrong with it i mean how do you buy some kd iv for $95 then try flipping them for $300
August 28, 2012 @ 03:32 PM
backson

I'm creating a service that is going to offset the problems they have caused by not creating enough supply for their consumer base. Re-sellers are obviously the biggest issue and this comes directly from the lack of inventory. Re-sellers buy extra pairs and sell them at a crazy markup because they can. People in this forum buy those shoes after market at those crazy prices and that's why re-sellers still exist. If I can come in with a service that disrupts this after market by offering shoes say at $200 a pair in the after market, I'm sure the community would welcome me.

you're basically proposing to become a reseller that tries to sell at lower costs. not sure how you'll create enough margin to make it a worthwhile business model (which is why resellers exist). good luck with that.
August 28, 2012 @ 04:24 PM
Forests

Resellers - It's a great way for kids like me who are still in high school to get money but people actually want to buy the shoes and wear them. Sneaker collecting is truly a lifestyle and in my opinion it's dying off. I know people who said they are taking a "break" from the sneaker game.

drug-runs.tumblr.com

August 28, 2012 @ 04:51 PM
M.

The hype on the current shoe, and of course the resellers. Resellers can make easy profit as soon as they walk out of the store with theirs shoes, easy cash. Or they could hold on to them and sell them on eBay for rape ass prices. A lot of people feel like they have to have them, regardless whether they have to robb, stab, or even kill someone. It's all fucked up, thats why I'm wearing a kevlar vest for the Bred 11's this year. Lol

muhstakes.tumblr.com

Please login first to reply.