Inactive

February 2, 2007 @ 03:36 AM
Tiffany Chan

?
February 2, 2007 @ 03:52 AM
ThatDude

let me quote this...

-johan3sixteen :
"A lot of your favorite companies are at a crossroads in the progression of their businesses. Street wear is on the verge of becoming mainstream. Major retailers with hundreds of locations and unmatched buying power are knocking on the industry's doors. These chain stores have the ability to bring clothing brands to the masses and let out the secret that everyone has been trying to keep for so long."

REAL TALK!!!
February 2, 2007 @ 04:01 AM
bomber

It happens to everything.

Ask old school skateboarders...

Ask import car racers before fast and furious BS came out...

It happened to hip hop, it happened to 'action sports', its happening to streetwear.

Sorry.
February 2, 2007 @ 04:04 AM
c.lopez

hey unlappe,, how old r u ?
February 2, 2007 @ 04:38 AM
samurai_jack

Why can't streetwear be mainstream? How do you define streetwear? Everyone has their own definition for streetwear. You can't really say that streetwear is mainstream now if you don't know what streetwear means. And you're saying that you need to work extra hard to stay "ahead" of the game .. what game? Streetwear is worn for comfort. You're supposed to wear stuff you're comfortable with, on the other hand if you want to be a hypebeast, then mainstream is the main reason that there are hypebeasts. Mainstream = Hype. So stop bullshitting about streetwear like you knew it for a long time if you never knew what it meant. You are one of those dum 14 year old boys wearing BAPE/FAPE, why? Because you're complaining on a god damn hypebeast forum about the state of streetwear in modern culture. Go get a life you idiot.
February 2, 2007 @ 06:12 AM
magneticman

actually I think streetwear is a an actual subculture now

hip hop/skateboarding/punk, and whole other shit amalgamated into one genre, definitely recently is has anyway...
February 2, 2007 @ 06:12 AM
Branden James

The only thing i'll be worried about if it becomes mainstreem, is the potential that they might start slipping with their designs. Might become a little complacent.
February 2, 2007 @ 06:26 AM
innovazn

February 2, 2007 @ 06:32 AM
ThatDude

it is what it is...
February 2, 2007 @ 07:14 AM
Jagraj

It seems like streetwear is going way to mainstream, when i see like dumb shit 14 year olds wearing bape knockoff hoodies and 10 deep in music videos it pisses me off. I only started getting into it because it had a really small following and was unique, but i hate mainstream shit... and hate having to work hard to stay ahead of everyone else. I don't know why im writing this here cause i normaly hate ppl who post this kinda shit, but im just pissed cause it seems like streetwear is dieing. what do you think?

come to my high school...
every freshman rocks a fape hoodie and walks around campus thinkin they're the shit.
i'm glad i'm bout to graduate
February 2, 2007 @ 08:17 AM
SSBSTS

noone in highschool [probably even college] has any right to complain about this. you havent been around near long enough. liking these clothes soley for the purpose of them being rare is homo. the only thing to worry about is if quality or design degenerates.
February 2, 2007 @ 08:51 AM
MeccaDon718

Men being gay little whiners have become mainstream, that worries me more.

I'm telling you ! These type of threads are getting rampant.
February 2, 2007 @ 08:56 AM
RedOraNYC

"streetwear" to me has always been mainstream...now its more fashionable

Red Ora NYC

February 2, 2007 @ 09:00 AM
MystaX

shit, thanks for the warning man! thank god i saved all those Hot Topic gift cards
February 2, 2007 @ 10:02 AM

Inactive

wow. well i knew there would be a ton of hate, thats why im not one of those fags who posts this kind of stuff on a regular basis. you can say what you will, but the main reason i dislike "streetwear" (fucking real streetwear, not that sign at macys for like ecko and southpole) going mainstream is because it was rare, i liked the allure of wearing something with a great design that normal ppl on the street would have fucking no idea where it came from... its almost like wearing a original because 99.9% of the population had never even heard of the brand name, and didn't know where to find it.

Please give me some more hate about this stupid thread, i won't be checking back with it again.
February 2, 2007 @ 10:17 AM
dynamiks

Since when has there been a Macys in Union Square??!? WTF
February 2, 2007 @ 10:59 AM

Inactive

wow. well i knew there would be a ton of hate, thats why im not one of those fags who posts this kind of stuff on a regular basis. you can say what you will, but the main reason i dislike "streetwear" (fucking real streetwear, not that sign at macys for like ecko and southpole) going mainstream is because it was rare, i liked the allure of wearing something with a great design that normal ppl on the street would have fucking no idea where it came from... its almost like wearing a original because 99.9% of the population had never even heard of the brand name, and didn't know where to find it.

Please give me some more hate about this stupid thread, i won't be checking back with it again.

99.9 percent still dont know about most of these brands. and if you are into wearing shit no one knows, keep searching, lazy ass. if thats the only reason you liked 10 deep, then you should have no problem moving onto another company that isnt getting play yet...theres alot out there. but perhaps, you actually LIKED how 10 deep looked! and since you rely on some percieved exclusivity to make youreself feel cooler, you are bummed cuz the stuff you like isnt giving you that "im flyest in the hood" feeling cuz others have it. get some sense of personal style and you wont have to worry about it anymore.
February 2, 2007 @ 11:11 AM
SSBSTS

:slow clap for the razor:
February 2, 2007 @ 11:33 AM
MystaX

::adds to the slow clap::

::stands up::
February 2, 2007 @ 11:50 AM
magneticman

::brings some friends round to slow clap with me::
February 2, 2007 @ 12:48 PM
MystaX

you forgot to clap brian
February 2, 2007 @ 12:49 PM

Inactive

yeah..... basically, make a brand, do your thing, make some money, if it gets big and you feel like you cant do what you want creatively with the brand in order to keep the paychecks coming for yourself and your employees, just do a smaller brand with the extra capital you have acquired and express yourself through that.
February 2, 2007 @ 12:58 PM
JPhamBam

its still underground...haha
February 2, 2007 @ 01:15 PM
magneticman

lol^ nice observation
February 2, 2007 @ 01:26 PM
soundbomber

Sounds like people are getting pissed because lame ass brands like The Hundreds and 10 Deep are getting worn by people who don't come on Hypebeast.
February 2, 2007 @ 01:36 PM
SSBSTS

Sounds like people are getting pissed because lame ass brands like The Hundreds and 10 Deep are getting worn by people who don't come on Hypebeast.

yep. btw, how do you have over 600 posts in less than a month? i noticed that yesterday.
February 2, 2007 @ 01:41 PM
soundbomber

I changed it, I'm about to change it to 15,000 posts so I can be super cool like selvage.
February 2, 2007 @ 01:49 PM
oldboy

unlapez- just accept it, stop being bitter.

it is moronic how people complain because they wanted exclusive shit and now theyre bitter because other people are wearing it. oooh nooo, so many people are wearing 10 deep and bape in music videos now? what the hell? those brands are popular streetwear and in this market it has been played out long time ago (and everyone saw it coming). if you want to be different from the rest, then you figure out your own style instead of following the f*cking hypebeast.

hypebeast = mainstream streetwear
there's plenty of good streetwear if you do some research OUTSIDE of the hype. good luck, and have fun
February 2, 2007 @ 01:51 PM
OJ Pimpson

Streetwear is not even close to dying. Not EVEN CLOSE. Why?

Because true streetwear heads will not allow it to. My points:

1) Most people will shop at the Mall, thats how it is and how it will be for a long time. They shop at department stores who try to buy what's hot.fortunately, MACYs will NEVER know and recieve true streetwear because respectable streetwear companies will not allow thier integrity and true fan base to slide. Some "streetwear" brands like the ones mentioned above are respected, (the Creative Recs and such) because most people will still buy shoes from footlocker or buy Polo jeans because they think will make them look nice. Most people are not up on the latest brand, they just wear what their favorite rapper wears or what they think will make them "get chicks" or look nice.

2) Sure mainstream rappers are wearing more streetwear and such but that doesn't mean streetwear is becoming mainstream. Unless, rappers and artists exclusively rock one brand (ie Pharrell and Bape) or exclusivly shop at one store, those who attempt to dress like the rapper may want a Hundreds shirt when Jay wears one, but when Jay wears some button-up and fitted, they are gonna wanna be on the next thing, forget the Hundreds existed and search for the hat button-up that will give them "swagger." True Hundreds fans are gonna stay true to a brand, fans of a rapper are gonna stay true to the rapper.

3) You guys are overestimating the amount of people who know what streetwear is. Just two months ago, I asked a friend who said he was "a streetwear afficionado" about the latest 10 deep line and he was like, "what's 10 deep?" People like to act like they are trendsetters or up on the lates trend but they really aren't. They follow what's "in" because they are concerned with what other people think about thier fashion sense. Men are just like women. A lot of women wear uggs, they say its because they are comfortable, but lets be serious here, uggs were comfortable in 2000, but nobody wore em. Women are always up on the latest trends, and so are men who consider themselves "fashion forward." True Streetwear isn't a trend because its too hard to find the true stuff. Not enough people wear "streetwear" because of its exclusivity for it to be a trend, so those trend followers go to the mall where they have shopped all their lives, look up streetwear, and think thats what its all about.

4) When a previously streetwear brand goes mainstream or sells out Its not true streetwear anymore, its mainstream streetwear you see at the mall. Lets face it, if 10 deep or Crooks was sold at Macys, streetwear heads wouldn't have the same respect that had before and would most likely wear it less or notat all. People say hip-hop is dead. There is still underground, backpack, lyrical hip-hop thriving in the underground. But most people see aboveground and assume thats how it is everywhere. Then when a streetwear brand becomes popped, a new one will emerge, be sick, and take the underground game over again. New brands are coming up every day, one is bound to be the next thing.

5) Truth of the matter = true streetwear will always be underground. Macys will sell more than Versus, GQ will sell more magazines than (enter your favorite streetwear magazine), Footlocker will sell more than UNDFTD. And it won't be by a slim margin, it will be by a lot. Just like many people in here, streetwear heads don't want to see the game die, and they won't let it.

Also, Urban Outfitters is not streetwear. My friend thinks it is and swears hes up on everything because he shops there.

O and the guy above me is right. HYPEBEASTS = mainstream streetwear.

Please login first to reply.