Free Worldwide Shipping on Orders Over $150.00 USD or more - Use Code: HBSHIP150
October 30, 2006 @ 03:11 PM
imsohappy

When I first read this thread my intitial reaction was to ignore it and chalk it up as being comments made by a cretinous (look it up) individual. However, when I started to read the other racial comments made toward black people I knew that I would be performing a disservice as an educated and successful black man not to address this topic.

We all know what's already been said, Bape is highly influenced by hip-hop, which is obviously true. Whether you like the fact that a hip-hop star endorses it or not is up to you. Truthfully, if you're choosing to let another individual dictate whether or not something is "cool" or fashionable then apparently you have some personal issues and may want to excercise the act of being your own man/or woman (make your own decisions).

I personally know the stylist who basically changed Lil' Wayne into a hip-hop fashion icon. Yes, we all know he rocks Bape but he's also been wearing other brands like Louis Vuitton, Gucci (the cream sweat suit inside that infamous XXL magazine shoot with Lil' Wayne rocking the pink Bape Camo hoodie), and Chrome Heart.

Imsohappy's reference to Lil' Wayne and Jermaine Dupri as "black hobbits" and the statement posted above by bape_UK are totally unacceptable and completely racist! There's no other way to read it.

Damn, have we forgotten about all of the things that black people have influenced (fashion (Pharrell - whether you like it or not), music (Jimi Hendrix, Gil Scott Heron, James Brown, education (Dr. Cornell West) etc...)...its too many to even name but you get my point.

For you two men...hold on let me retract that statement because obviously a real man wouldn't make those type of comments...For you two idiots to make such comments shows the ignorance that still exists in the world today (even among Hypebeasters).

I find it extremely funny that people tend to make comments over the internet that they wouldn't dare have the balls to say in front a person that may or may not be offended (internet thugs are hilarious).

In closing, I'll definitely say a few prayers for you two guys but whether or not it does any good is doubtful because ignorance tends to run deep.

Peace...

Black hobbits .. racist? Did i say Uncle Tom, Porch Monkey, Slave Ship ******s? ( Used for dramatic effect and to make my point) Do you make such a fuss when the word ****** is used elsewhere on this forum which i have seen many times. This thread has gotten out of control and should be locked. I never knew we were not allowed to use the word black, my bad and apologise to all the black people who were so deeply offended by the word black. Oh and i nowhere in my opening statement did i mention or say BLACK PEOPLE WERE KILLING BAPE. Oh and as for black people influencing BAPE thats great to know maybe all the Black people should contact Nigo and tell him you want a cut from his profits or some free clothes, im sure he'd be happy to sort you out. Bape_UK we know about people like James Lavelle and Ina Brown rather than the newbies who have probably no idea. Thank you and Goodnight. Hope you enjoyed the show.
October 30, 2006 @ 03:12 PM
Claystar

bape has been dead since pharrel rose it up

seriously, black people discovered a lot of amazing things.. but the downfall of bape is their cause

I'm curious to know what will hypebeasters do if brands like The Hundreds and Crooks and Castles receive mainsteam attention like Bape. Will they turn their back on these brands as well?
October 30, 2006 @ 03:13 PM
ididit4theluv

You guys are all a bunch of fuckin homo's claiming a brand's worth based upon who wears it. That's the stupidest shit i've ever heard. If you like some shit, wear it, if you don't, don't. That simple. And any dumb shit who will tell you that Adidas doesn't credit RUN DMC for making the shell toe what it is today are fucking idiots. Anyone who says that Air Force 1's aren't a fucking hip hop staple is a fucking moron. BAPE has completely jacked these HIP HOP STAPLES. BAPE is UNDOUBTEDLY hip hop INSPIRED. If you think Nigo didn't want hip hop stars in the US wearing Bape you're also a fucking dunce who knows nothing about economics. The bottom line is this is something that could be stopped EASILY. The shit could be produced in much smaller numbers, but obviously that's not what the man wants to do and rightfully so. Stupid ass little kids thinking clothes should only be for certain people when the clothes were made w/ the very people you hate wearing em' in mind. Nigo doesn't give two drops of Ape shit about you, so keep buying his shit and he'll keep paying rappers to wear his shit.....Kids i tell ya....
October 30, 2006 @ 03:17 PM
imsohappy

Hold the fuck up, now turning this into a race thing is jus fucking ridicoulous. For fuck sake Nigo hired a black person(pharrell) to promote it and ur getting pissed coz the majority of black AND asian fans/audience of this celebrity are wearing it and supposedly "destroying it". Now bape_uk u was a cool dude when i met u at the shark drop (i was the BLACK DUDE who got the lst orange xl!) dont try and turn this into a race thing. dont 4get half the fakes on ebay come from asian originated areas(china,hong kong). The real problem i believe with bape is to many celebrities are wearing it. Fair enuff majority are black but dont just fucking say that coz of black people, the label is being destroyed. IMO id rather c jay-z or whoever wear bape rather than james Lavelle or ian brown or mandy moore, which i have never seen any of her shit movies. No1 was beefing when she was wearin it. Why is it cool for mandy moore to wear it and not lil wayne? i am not sayin i like lil wayne but if he chose to wear it then get over it.

Fuck Mandy Moore. At least with her wearing it you won't get any Hip Hopping wannabe gangbangers 'im from the street, holla at me dawg, pimp yo mama, bitch' boys wearin it, well i say BAPE but i mean Fape. And you say rich white kids kill it (reply to another post), at least its real BAPE when they wear it. Oh and hold on where is the big fuss over the asain comment??? No one care??? This is so black and white.
October 30, 2006 @ 03:23 PM
Claystar

Black hobbits .. racist? Did i say Uncle Tom, Porch Monkey, Slave Ship ******s? ( Used for dramatic effect and to make my point) Do you make such a fuss when the word ****** is used elsewhere on this forum which i have seen many times. This thread has gotten out of control and should be locked. I never knew we were not allowed to use the word black, my bad and apologise to all the black people who were so deeply offended by the word black. Oh and i nowhere in my opening statement did i mention or say BLACK PEOPLE WERE KILLING BAPE. Oh and as for black people influencing BAPE thats great to know maybe all the Black people should contact Nigo and tell him you want a cut from his profits or some free clothes, im sure he'd be happy to sort you out. Bape_UK we know about people like James Lavelle and Ina Brown rather than the newbies who have probably no idea. Thank you and Goodnight. Hope you enjoyed the show.

Again, the internet courage arises...I can see that I made my point. I guess typing racial slurs is a lot easier than having the courage to say it to someone's face. Maybe this forum should be locked because it sounds like someone may have owned a Plantation in their former life.

Now, if I would have personally seen the other posts that you reference, believe me I would've addressed them as well. If the ***** has been used on this forum as you say it has then it's definitely an issue that Hypebeast needs to fix.

All hail the only guy in the world that knows about the origins of Bape...

"I am not a racist. I am against every form of racism and segregation, every form of discrimination. I believe in human beings, and that all human beings should be respected as such, regardless of their color." - Malcolm X
October 30, 2006 @ 03:43 PM
Lost Professor

Fuck, can someone please lock this. This shit is getting outta control, now race is somehow involved. These threads are getting so annoying, it seems like every month we have this same argument.
October 30, 2006 @ 04:17 PM
ayoungbape

Lol wow " black people r destroying it!!!!".... no they rnt... its the ghetto gangster ppl like the rappers that r.....like uve mentioned b4, Lil Wanye, JD, Chris Brown, and now Kanye West....and tons more. they and all these gangster ppl have destroyed bape.

bape was not only hiphop inspired.... its only hiphop inspired because Nigo was a DJ and the TB should be the only celebs wearing bape ahha.

Neway im just saying.... like bape says.... "Rep Where Ya From"(leave bape to the asians LOL) and all the gangsters should wear like rocawear
October 30, 2006 @ 04:26 PM

Inactive

bape died as soon as bws was built in new york

it was a culture.. now its just the same as every other average brand

seriously, black people discovered a lot of amazing things.. but the downfall of bape is their cause

2nd that too
October 30, 2006 @ 04:29 PM
c.lopez

wow. you guys r fuckign idiots and i simply cannot a MOD has been so irrespnsibile as to say that. ppl. how can u pitt something onto a race. if you mean rappers then say rappers, if you mean hoods and goons and thugs then say that. but these ppl are not all black. wake the fuck up. you guys are rediculous and i cannot beleive yall are saying this shit. you guys are what is wrong with america.

and for claystar, i am sorry your genius insightfulness and thoughtfullness have went fully unappreciated. but try not to worry about the ppl on this forum, they are no older than 16 and one day they'll either be working for me or you
October 30, 2006 @ 04:30 PM
c.lopez

also, tom kaws, please please,, what is the bape culture you talk about? its a mother fucking brand name.. please ppl

DO NOT TAKE YOURSELF SO SERIOUSLYY
October 30, 2006 @ 04:34 PM
james19

bape is becoming overhyped due to some of the rappers in america wearing it but as has been concluded bape is heavily infuenced by hip hop
October 30, 2006 @ 04:39 PM

Inactive

c.lopez..

bape was a culture because it was different.. ppl didnt just pop into every now and then to buy a tshirt. they where dedicated followers, fans of the bape movement. ape sounds, clothing, numerous accessories and collaborations.. how can you say its not a culture.

dont tell me to take myself too seriously, how pathetic. im simply stating my opinion.

your the one taking it too seriously. no one was being racist.. mho was simply stating the obveous that bape has attracted the attention of the black community (due to black rappers wearing it).
October 30, 2006 @ 04:47 PM
MasterHater

neva liked it
neva really like bape...but they were better before this lil black faggot got on it.....but its nigos fault...if his little dumb ass didnt start working with pharrell then the whole hiphop world wudnt be embracing it like that
October 30, 2006 @ 04:50 PM
hypebeastfan

Everyone who has been a fan for longer than 5 minutes knows this. Bape was true underground and sought after when the likes of Ian Brown and James Lavelle wore his old stuff now that the likes of little black hobbits lil wayne n jermain dupri start wearing it oh and that stupid fag, who cannot design Pharrell, everyone wants it hence the rise in fape. Nigo says he doesn't want everyone wearing his stuff why let every little faggy hip hop star wear it? I started this thread because of the Ice Cube thread and the fact everytime i but a bape catalogue its like the f-ing Source. I feel much better now.

YOU'RE A FAG. JAMES LAVELLE ISN'T HOT ANYMORE. SURE NIGO STARTED UNDERGROUND, BUT HE BUILT HIS EMPIRE THE LEGIT WAY.

HE'S SELF MADE, AND WHEN THE OG HEADS GOT TIRED OF IT, WHAT DO YOU DO, YOU SELL OUT. BAPE WAS GETTING PLAYED OUT IN LIKE 2000 IN JAPAN. WHO WAS BUYING IT, KIDS.

YOU THINK NIGO DOESN'T WANT A LOT OF PEOPLE WEARING HIS CLOTHES? THAT WAS TEN YEARS AGO. NOW HE'S BEEN THERE, DONE THAT. HE WANTS MILLIONS, HE WANTS A HOTEL. YOU CAN'T GET THAT IF YOU DON'T SELL A LOT OF CLOTHES.

WHO DO YOU THINK SENDS JAY-Z AND LIL WAYNE CLOTHES? NIGO DOES.

MARKETING.

STOP BEING SO ELITIST JUST CUZ A BUNCH OF BLACK SQUARES ARE BUYING COOL CLOTHES TOO.

GET YOUR PRIORITIES STRAIGHT IF YOU WORRIED ABOUT THE IMAGE OF A CLOTHING BRAND YOU LIKE.

STAYING COOL DOESN'T GET YOU MONEY OR ANYTHING. YOU WANT TO BE COOL, GO LIVE IN THE 'HOOD SOMEWHERE, AND HUSTLE. THOSE PEOPLE ARE COOL.

FAG
October 30, 2006 @ 04:57 PM
givemeurkicks

wtf...Lil wayne has been sponsord by bape and chris brown and all those other ******s yea i dont really like tht ,but when u said lil wayne i shoulda slaped the shit outta u for tht.

ii dont think Bape should be sponsoring anyone that are internationals superstars such as Chris Brown and Lil Wayne. Supposedly Nigo wanted his brand, Bape, to be low key and he did not want too many people to be rocking it everywhere you look. Yet, he sponsores fucking superstars like Lil Wayne and every little kid in the world wants the new Bape hoody the Lil Wayne had on in his video.
October 30, 2006 @ 05:01 PM
hypebeastfan

ii dont think Bape should be sponsoring anyone that are internationals superstars such as Chris Brown and Lil Wayne. Supposedly Nigo wanted his brand, Bape, to be low key and he did not want too many people to be rocking it everywhere you look. Yet, he sponsores fucking superstars like Lil Wayne and every little kid in the world wants the new Bape hoody the Lil Wayne had on in his video.

ARE YOU FUCKING THAT STUPID? JUST BECAUSE YOU READ ONE INTERVIEW ONLINE DOESN'T MEAN YOU KNOW NIGO'S BUSINESS PLAN.

AND IF HE REALLY WANTED IT TO BE LOW KEY- THERE WOULDN'T BE PINK CAMO SWEATSHIRTS.

GET A LIFE
October 30, 2006 @ 05:33 PM
Number(t)wo

HAHAHA your funny! You know nothing about A Bathing Ape at all, i bet you think A Bathing Ape started up when Pharrell Started wearing it! Ah nevermind. Shell toes are Adidas NOT RUN DMC. And who says HIP HOP is Black??? Tut Tut Your an idiot! Oh and did i say Nigo was a genius that all his designs are amazing???? Ice Cream/BBC and A Bathing Ape 2 different things!

Your Stupid!

Wow you really dissed me and made yourself look smartrazz..... Nothing that you just commented on contradicts to anything I said before....????

You obviously have no history of Bape, or understand the business. Bape was already mainstream in Japan before James levelle or anyone wore it. The whole pepsiXbape thing really took bape to a new level of popularity. The only reason Nigo has BWS's in london and the US is because he was getting dissed in Japan for mainstream popularity. If he's succesful in other countries, then other people can't diss him in Japan. You are so ignorant to everything you should have took my advice and never posted again. You failrazz
October 30, 2006 @ 05:36 PM
Tiffany Chan

Fuck, can someone please lock this. This shit is getting outta control, now race is somehow involved. These threads are getting so annoying, it seems like every month we have this same argument.

This topic is closed, replies are no longer accepted.