Get 15% Off + Free Shipping on Orders over $150 - Use Code: EPICSUMMER
January 14, 2013 @ 09:28 AM
lovedmndlife

^^ @ The Fiasco 

instagram/twitter: dadonnyd

January 14, 2013 @ 10:07 AM
keety

No nike and adidas are not streetwear brands. One of the most important parts of streetwear is that the shit is all limited. Nike and adidas, while yes they do release limited shit but the majority of it is mass produced to rake in the money from the average joe customer. Streetwear was at one point a very small niche in a subculture of a culture. It mixed the skateboarding culture with the hip-hop culture with the punk culture etc etc. The "enthusiast" as you put it was driven to streetwear because of it's exclusivity and being able to have something that no one else had. Hypebeasts looked down at niggas shopping at the mall bc that shit ain't exclusive. As streetwear became more and more popular with rap artists and celebrities wearing it, the demand skyrocketed. Some of the more prominent companies capitalized on this and started mass producing their shit to the stores that would be able to make them the most money. Zumiez, Karmaloop, CCS, Pac-Sun etc etc. This expansion killed streetwear bc at the end of the day streetwear was about exclusivity. You weren't buying 48 dollar shirts with polka dot box logos on them bc they looked cool, you were buying them bc they were exclusive. That's why niggas waited in line over night in front of Supreme or Diamond or any of the other stores on Fairfax. The vast vast majority of all the streetwear heavyweights from 07-08 (IMO the golden age of "streetwear") are all selling to Zumiez or one of the other big boys. But Huf and Black Scale are only selling them certain designs or designs not part of their general release line. Then you have Diamond, The Hundreds, shit even Nike SB are all selling their full lines to Zumiez. This leads to saturation of the marketplace and the inevitable tools that shop there wearing it. Im not saying everyone that shops at Zumiez is a tool but come on. You kill the exclusivity you kill streetwear. Why you think Nike SB is no longer the sneakerhead shoe of choice? BC they stopped putting out the limited heaters that were game changing back in like 05-06 and started mass producing bullshit ugly colors for the zumiez mall crowd. Why is Karmaloop looked down upon in the hypebeast community? bc it allows anyone anywhere to have whatever brand they want whenever shipped to their house without having to go to a boutique or wait in line.

you could also make the argument that Freshjive went the way of passing up the "Zumiez" opportunity, kept that shit 3hunna and were like we're happy where we're at. We are going to stop branding all of our logos on our clothes and keep it out of the big shops. Yeah they aren't whipping Ferraris but look at Nicks old Myspace page that he hasn't been on in years. He was still whipping Bentley's and Ferraris before he started selling the entire GR line there. Back when Zumiez only got designs that were specially designed for them.

so tl;dr to be streetwear you need to be exclusive. 

sorry if my thoughts are weirdly spaced. I was just typing as I was thinking. I would also like to bring up what Nick said in the 2008 Diamond Supply Co thread which was deleted so I have no proof but I specifically remember him saying this: Zumiez and Karmaloop will never get the full lines because he wanted to make sure that the boutiques and skateshops that carry diamond had a one up over the massive target audience that zumiez and karmaloop have.

also, not trying to fire shots at anyone or anything. I still fuck with this brand even though it seems I do a lot of complaining. diamond is run by some of the most talented people in the game and if it wasn't this brand wouldn't be where it's at right now.

I discounted everything you said after you said Nike and Adidas isn't streetwear, not that I care to label anything in the first place but I'm not sure where you're from or how old are you but I'm assuming you've been absent from reality over the last decades because you do your research, even wikipedia would tell you Nike is part of streetwear. I'm not sure when it was based  solely on limitedness and exclusivity. Even the corner store white tees in the pack are streetwear, don't over complicate it. 

I get so sick of these fuck the mainstream, fuck the corporations, fuck these big companies, and all this kinda talk that its so horrible and ruins everything...these kids all say this but become part of their own little hypebeast commune but please stop whining. Even Ralph Lauren Polo is street wear, I don't care who disagrees just look at the state of the game in the last 20 years and see what its made up of. Its not the 80s anymore, it grew into what it is today and and you go on and on about fuck this and that, the popularity, the mainstream, its not going no where. Come on now, you can say its about being limited and exclusive but even FUBU was streetwear to the fucking core, this is coming from a white kid, you just have to know better. 

Once again, your argument holds no water as soon as you said Nike and Adidas is not streetwear. 

Watch that, thats part of the roots of streetwear, you may want to rethink about Adidas not being part of streetwear.  Are you going to go on to say Timberland is not part of streetwear as well?

" Why you think Nike SB is no longer the sneakerhead shoe of choice? BC they stopped putting out the limited heaters that were game changing back in like 05-06 and started mass producing bullshit ugly colors for the zumiez mall crowd."
Nike still puts out limited shop exclusives, the sneaker heads still line up for them in the city by the skate shop like clockwork where I'm from. They're not mass produced either, each shop is only allowed a certain amount. There are still some bangers like The Entourage shoe. I'm pretty sure Zumiez did not have that and then they also had that Skatepark Of Tampa shoe, which was only sold from and for one skatepark, so Nike still has a core part to them with the skate shit.

It doesn't even come down to the brand or product at hand, its what the culture does with it. It comes down to each individual and how they go about wearing it and the take they put to it. 
January 14, 2013 @ 04:23 PM
apollo57

Please restock blankets. Its cold in norcal and i need a second
We have a few Black/Diamond Blue blankets in stock left.
thanks for that site update. I've been waiting for it for a while now. I got my order in friday night before that short restock burned out. still waiting on my shipping confirmation though. cant wait to see what 2013 brings, anyone wanna post some catalog previews?

Diamond life

January 14, 2013 @ 06:06 PM
TONY.

Well put together Fiasco, much respect. Love the debate that's going down on our thread right now, this was one of the main reasons why I started coming to this forum.

instagram: @tonyramirez / twitter: @_tonyramirez / www.diamondsupplyco.com

January 14, 2013 @ 10:24 PM
YoungCorey

I dont understand why people make such a big deal about diamond being at Zumiez. 

Twitter; @YoungCorey | Instagram; @YoungCorey | Diamond Supply Co Fairfax.

January 14, 2013 @ 10:35 PM
TONY.

Spring '13 coming last week of January.

January 14, 2013 @ 10:42 PM
Glo'bito

I dont understand why people make such a big deal about diamond being at Zumiez. 
Zuminez isn't really that bad Imo, Just the fact that little kids can buy it cause It's "Swag". Pacsun in the other hand has some corny Diamond designs or They re-use older designs.

"Yo bitch probably think I'm cute"

January 14, 2013 @ 10:43 PM
DarkGrapes

For me, it's simple: Zumiez are found inside of malls. Not stripmalls, mind you...big suburban malls. In fact, that's where all the Zumiez around me are located. Nothing about buying clothes inside of a giant Westfield Shopping Center says streetwear to me. But maybe that's just me.

And also, I think people trip on the exclusivity because of the price. No one bitches about Obey or Stussy stuff not being exclusive because their stuff is about 1/3 less than what Diamond is charging. And if everyone is printing on the same/similar blanks (only talking about tees/hoodies, which is what you get at places like Zumiez) then quality isn't what's causing the price difference. So it has to be either design of the product or exclusivity that makes people willing to pay more. And no matter how dope the design is, some people just don't want to pay $32-36 to wear a mass produced mall t-shirt that they see 5 million other people wearing.

I still rep Diamond, but I really only go for the exclusives and collabs now, which I'm glad Diamond drops regularly.

http://vimeo.com/hyperstationusa ___ Twitter and Instagram: @hyperstationusa

January 14, 2013 @ 11:00 PM
Gorblata

Corey from Diamond is the nicest guy

WTB Entire DJ Clark Kent Wall of Allegiance | Redwall For Mod

January 14, 2013 @ 11:15 PM
keety

For me, it's simple: Zumiez are found inside of malls. Not stripmalls, mind you...big suburban malls. In fact, that's where all the Zumiez around me are located. Nothing about buying clothes inside of a giant Westfield Shopping Center says streetwear to me. But maybe that's just me.

Edit:the quote got all messed up, my original post is followed under this sentence. 

You can find streetwear at malls, not that its limited to just that place but you can basically find anything at the mall these days. Basketball jerseys, Adidas or Nike,ballcaps, and etc....you really can't deny and say thats not street wear, thats part of it to the fullest. Anyone who is quick to say Nike and Adidas is not a staple in streetwear, I think they just lack any actual knowledge of the topic at hand. I hate how some people try to alienate certain brands and over complicate things into some matter of personal approval when thats not the case, its not that simple. If you go back in look at the state of streetwear from 80s, 90s, 2000's and etc, it consisted of a lot of mainstream brands and a lot of ordinary items, not to say that there weren't those underground companies, one major key component of streetwear though is taking something from general public and turning it around into something with a new flare of its own, look at the Kangol hat and where that whole thing went over the years, it wasn't originally intended to be streetwear but the community took it and ran with it. 
January 14, 2013 @ 11:49 PM
DarkGrapes

You can find streetwear at malls, not that its limited to just that place but you can basically find anything at the mall these days. Basketball jerseys, Adidas or Nike,ballcaps, and etc....you really can't deny and say thats not street wear, thats part of it to the fullest. Anyone who is quick to say Nike and Adidas is not a staple in streetwear, I think they just lack any actual knowledge of the topic at hand. I hate how some people try to alienate certain brands and over complicate things into some matter of personal approval when thats not the case, its not that simple. If you go back in look at the state of streetwear from 80s, 90s, 2000's and etc, it consisted of a lot of mainstream brands and a lot of ordinary items, not to say that there weren't those underground companies, one major key component of streetwear though is taking something from general public and turning it around into something with a new flare of its own. 
Feel where you're coming from to some extent keety, but to me, the problem is, you're talking about brands from the 80s and 90s, back when they started out, not what they've turned into. Yes, at some point in history, Nike and Adidas were streetwear. They have a major place in the history of streetwear. In 2013, I don't consider that to be the case. Times change. I agree with The Fiasco, in 2013, streetwear is mostly about exclusivity, especially considering the prices charged.

It's the same way that some bands begin independent and then go on to mainstream success. At some point in their history bands like No Doubt, Green Day, hell even Lil' Wayne were all underground bands/artists you could see at a venue for $10. Do you still consider them to be underground or independent now that they can charge $100 to play at the Staples Center?

January 15, 2013 @ 12:01 AM
YoungCorey

And also, I think people trip on the exclusivity because of the price. No one bitches about Obey or Stussy stuff not being exclusive because their stuff is about 1/3 less than what Diamond is charging. And if everyone is printing on the same/similar blanks (only talking about tees/hoodies, which is what you get at places like Zumiez) then quality isn't what's causing the price difference. So it has to be either design of the product or exclusivity that makes people willing to pay more. And no matter how dope the design is, some people just don't want to pay $32-36 to wear a mass produced mall t-shirt that they see 5 million other people wearing.

I still rep Diamond, but I really only go for the exclusives and collabs now, which I'm glad Diamond drops regularly.
And all I had to read was the first sentence. Diamond isnt necessarily a "Streetwear" brand were actually a skateboarding hardware company, and last time I checked Zumiez is a skateshop.

January 15, 2013 @ 12:01 AM
YoungCorey

Corey from Diamond is the nicest guy
Thank you, appreciate that.

January 15, 2013 @ 12:14 AM
DarkGrapes

And all I had to read was the first sentence. Diamond isnt necessarily a "Streetwear" brand were actually a skateboarding hardware company, and last time I checked Zumiez is a skateshop.
Corey, you're my man. You've helped me out on numerous occasions and I know you're a good dude. But this sentiment irks me whenever it's brought up by anyone. If Diamond isn't a streetwear brand, and it's a skate brand primarily, why are there collabs with people like Action Bronson, Raekwon, Bun-B, Styles P, etc. who I'm pretty sure have never ever set foot on a skateboard?

Why are there Yacht Club and Game Association graphics with ducks on them? What exactly do those have to do with skating in general and skate hardware specifically? How about the Sade Diamond Life shirts? How many teenagers wearing that Deuces shirt even knows who the fuck Sade is?

Why do you make shirt sizes up to 4XL when I'm pretty sure no 4XL dudes is hopping their big asses on no skateboard. (And there's no hate intended with that statement... I used to wear a 3XL back in the day and it's one of the reasons I started fucking with Diamond because they had larger sizes.)

None of those things screams skateboarding hardware to me. $400 lambskin raglans don't scream skateboarding hardware to me. Neither do $350 rugs. I know Diamond makes some great hardware and that's where the business took roots from, but it's not just that anymore. Seems like Diamond wants to have it both ways....

In addition, whether Diamond is specifically a streetwear or a skatewear brand, it doesn't change my earlier point about exclusivity.

January 15, 2013 @ 12:44 AM
blakplague

I was gonna say that lol. Hm judging how many people see the brand, and what Diamond actually admits to being. You could say that Diamond is skate hardware company with a streetwear appeal. Yea Zumiez did start out a lot smaller than what it is today. Moreover when the current streetwear brands fade out Diamond will still be around.
January 15, 2013 @ 12:47 AM
keety

Not sure where you're going with the Yacht Club and Game Association graphics with ducks on them and asking what that has to do with skating? I see very few skate apparel brands making their clothing based around skateboarding themes. I don't even have to elaborate on that but you go to the skate shop and you'll find many graphic t's with art/graphics not even relative to skateboarding at all. To be honest I'd say the majority of graphics from skate brands present little suggestion to anything involving skateboarding besides the brand name itself. 

Then the 4xl arugment ,suggesting that no one is hopping their big asses on a skateboard. You don't have to skate to appreciate a company thats involved in skateboarding. I'm positive that there are fat people in the skate industry, not saying those who are skating but behind the scenes in the in the industry. Then there are those kids who rather just wear giant t shirts. 

You're stating every halfhearted example as to why not their a skateboarding company but ignore the obvious as to why they're just that. Do you know who Keenan Milton was? He was pro skateboarder who passed away in 2001, 
Watch the last trick and see what he's wearing...a Diamond hoody. This footage is way over a decade old, and he is one of the most respected names in skating today and he cosigned diamond. Don't forget about the roots of this company, they may have expanded into hip hop and beyond but that doesn't take away from their origins in skateboarding and it goes way back. Hip hop and skating coexist, they feed of each other, their part of the same lineage and they blend into making their own scene.
Check out the Diamond bowl, I don't know of any other company that isn't a skateboard company that has a bowl like this filled with some of the biggest names in the industry. Look at the collaboration they did with Chocolate, thats one of skateboardings most respected and core companies.

Diamond is skateboarding, fuck anyone who says otherwise. People can go on to tell me Justin Beiber wears it and so on and so forth, I don't give a fuck...I've been fucking with Diamond since day one. 

Whoever gave this a thumbs down, please elaborate...I'm curious as to why you disliked this post. 
January 15, 2013 @ 01:52 AM
DarkGrapes

If you had read instead of catching feelings and jumping on to attack me, you'd clearly see that I said they weren't JUST a skating company. I know a good amount about Diamond's history. I definitely know that skaters rock Diamond & use the hardware. But dudes who haven't ever skated and dont give a fuck about skating also wear Diamond. So calling yourself primarly a skateboarding company (which allows you to maintain a distance from the streetwear label) while also courting a non-skating, streetwear element, is trying to have it both ways.
As for your half-hearted argument, please show me another "skateboarding hardware" company (Corey's words) that sells $400 jackets, $350 rugs. And $100 umbrellas.

Diamond is so much more than a skateboarding hardware company it seems like an insult to deem it that in 2013.

None of this back and forth changes the argument about exclusivity I originally made. Oh and I didn't thumbs down your post...

January 15, 2013 @ 02:08 AM
bill burr

You weren't buying 48 dollar shirts with polka dot box logos on them bc they looked cool, you were buying them bc they were exclusive.

anybody who has done somethig like is just dumb. just my 2 cents
everything else is a good read thumbs up!!
January 15, 2013 @ 02:13 AM
keety

I didn't catch feelings and I still disagree that street wear has to be limited and exclusive...like I said even the corner store white t's are street wear.

I'm just stating my counter argument. Being considered as primarily a skateboarding company, doesn't mean it can't cater to other people. Vans was one of the first skateboarding companies, the first real skate shoe, they still have that mass appeal that is appreciated by those who don't even skate. A lot of people who don't skateboard, buy into the industry rather its apparel, shoes, video games,or whatever. Lil Wayne even got a Baker Skateboards tattoo on his forehead. Not much has changed with Diamond, their designs are rather simple and people flock to it. I'm not sure what your hidden agenda is to chastise the companies legitimacy with skateboarding but I really don't get it. Just cause those people outside of skateboarding find a similar interest and attraction to the company doesn't mean much, its only human...skateboarders  are on only people, people like Diamond, its simple..its not limited to one group. You don't have to play basketball to buy a pair of Jordans. 

"As for your half-hearted argument, please show me another "skateboarding hardware" company (Corey's words) that sells $400 jackets, $350 rugs and $100 umbrellas."
I honestly can't but whats your point? Not sure how that discounts their legacy by any means.I think that aspect of the company is to appeal to a certain crowd, maybe specially those who can shell out the cash. Their line is not limited to solely items costing hundreds of dollars. I think it appeals to both high end and mid level retailers. 
"Diamond is so much more than a skateboarding hardware company "

It is, its not limited to just hardware. I rode their skate products before I even bought any of their apparel. Some would think of Apple as a computer company, today its grown into much more then that...doesn't mean they're still not a computer company but they've outreached to other endeavors, same goes for Diamond. 
January 15, 2013 @ 02:17 AM
Black Adam

What's up with all these big ass paragraphs? Fuck who cares.

hypebeast.com/forums/apparel/204982

January 15, 2013 @ 02:20 AM
lovedmndlife

some good reading thats for sure smile

instagram/twitter: dadonnyd

January 15, 2013 @ 04:18 AM
DarkGrapes

Keety,

I'm done fam. It's obvious to me that you refuse to see the difference between a company's LEGACY (as in their past) and the way they CURRENTLY operate. Every argument you've made today has been about the past (streetwear of the 80s and 90s, Diamond youtube footage from ten years ago...) Things change.

I've said not one damn negative word about Diamond's legacy as a skateboarding company. Read every post I've ever made in this forum. Yes, Diamond was once primarily a skating hardware company. They still are probably the preeminent brand in skateboarding, but in 2013, Diamond is MORE than just a skateboard hardware company. You said that yourself. And the reason why I keep referring to that term specifically is because it's what Corey said used a few posts up to discount my argument. He said, and I quote:

"Diamond isnt necessarily a "Streetwear" brand were actually a skateboarding hardware company, and last time I checked Zumiez is a skateshop."

So basically, you're agreeing with me. And again, I will state the same thing I've said over and over: whether Diamond is specifically a streetwear or a skatewear or whatever the fuck you want to call it brand, it doesn't change the earlier point about exclusivity. The original issue in the Fiasco's post was about why people had a problem with Diamond at Zumiez. He stated very well that it was because it loses exclusivity. I simply agreed with him. Then because I dared to call Diamond a streetwear brand, it derailed the entire argument. 

So that's why I'm done with it...I still rep Diamond, but as I originally said, mostly the exclusives that not everyone and their moms will be rocking. I am looking forward to that Cable Car tee from Spring. First GR shit I've really wanted in awhile.

January 15, 2013 @ 04:20 AM
TONY.

Corey, you're my man. You've helped me out on numerous occasions and I know you're a good dude. But this sentiment irks me whenever it's brought up by anyone. If Diamond isn't a streetwear brand, and it's a skate brand primarily, why are there collabs with people like Action Bronson, Raekwon, Bun-B, Styles P, etc. who I'm pretty sure have never ever set foot on a skateboard?

Why are there Yacht Club and Game Association graphics with ducks on them? What exactly do those have to do with skating in general and skate hardware specifically? How about the Sade Diamond Life shirts? How many teenagers wearing that Deuces shirt even knows who the fuck Sade is?

Why do you make shirt sizes up to 4XL when I'm pretty sure no 4XL dudes is hopping their big asses on no skateboard. (And there's no hate intended with that statement... I used to wear a 3XL back in the day and it's one of the reasons I started fucking with Diamond because they had larger sizes.)

None of those things screams skateboarding hardware to me. $400 lambskin raglans don't scream skateboarding hardware to me. Neither do $350 rugs. I know Diamond makes some great hardware and that's where the business took roots from, but it's not just that anymore. Seems like Diamond wants to have it both ways....

In addition, whether Diamond is specifically a streetwear or a skatewear brand, it doesn't change my earlier point about exclusivity.
I see where you are coming from, but have you ever flipped through a Wallride (Girl/Chocolate/Royal) catalog? All skateboard companies produce goods that have nothing to do with skateboarding. Is Girl or Chocolate no longer a skateboard company because they made an umbrella? Our roots are skateboarding, the fact that we have crossed over and appealed to other consumers and cultures is a blessing, but we will never lose site of our core roots.

As for why we make 4XL tees, wouldn't you make 4XL tees if you constantly got asked to do so? Why not show love to our big dudes who support the brand? They don't have to skate to wear Diamond.

January 15, 2013 @ 04:24 AM
keety

Couldn't of said it better Tony.

I'll just leave it at that. 
January 15, 2013 @ 04:31 AM
DarkGrapes

I see where you are coming from, but have you ever flipped through a Wallride (Girl/Chocolate/Royal) catalog? All skateboard companies produce goods that have nothing to do with skateboarding. Is Girl or Chocolate no longer a skateboard company because they made an umbrella? Our roots are skateboarding, the fact that we have crossed over and appealed to other consumers and cultures is a blessing, but we will never lose site of our core roots.

As for why we make 4XL tees, wouldn't you make 4XL tees if you constantly got asked to do so? Why not show love to our big dudes who support the brand? They don't have to skate to wear Diamond.
Completely agree with all this Tony. Like I said, I started rocking Diamond because I'm a big dude and I appreciated that you guys did that.

And I love to hear you say "They don't have to skate to wear Diamond" which I totally agree with. But many of the people who buy Diamond products don't have the same viewpoint. You know how many times I've seen or heard people say "that guy doesn't even skate, why's he wearing Diamond?" Nick posted a photo on IG with the line outside Diamond for one of the exclusive drops. The dude in the front was definitely a 2 or 3XL cat and how many comments were like "look at fat ass in the front....he doesn't even skate..." 

And again, that wasn't even the main crux of my argument. The whole thing go derailed. But I appreciate your input on it, for real.

January 15, 2013 @ 04:37 AM
keety

People say dumb shit, you can't please everyone.

Like I said you don't need to play basketball to wear a pair of Jordans, same concept, you don't need to skate to wear Diamond. 
January 15, 2013 @ 04:42 AM
DarkGrapes

People say dumb shit, you can't please everyone.

Like I said you don't need to play basketball to wear a pair of Jordans, same concept, you don't need to skate to wear Diamond. 
We agree on something. Be curious to see how many others feel the same way though. Shit gets brought up quite a bit. Anyway...

January 15, 2013 @ 04:45 AM
keety

I think it depends on how you are old, those constantly going on about oh he doesn't skate sound a little immature, maybe thats just the high school crowd. I would hope most adults to be past the point of worrying about those who don't skate wearing Diamond. 
January 15, 2013 @ 04:54 AM
DarkGrapes

I think it depends on how you are old, those constantly going on about oh he doesn't skate sound a little immature, maybe thats just the high school crowd. I would hope most adults to be past the point of worrying about those who don't skate wearing Diamond. 
Agreed. And that's why some OG Diamond heads aren't too keen on the brand being spread so thin to places like Zumiez and Pac Sun because alot of the people who shop there fit your description: the immature, high school crowd. So with the over-saturation and easy access they become the new representatives of Diamond's customer base. And that's kind of a turn-off, TBH.

January 15, 2013 @ 05:37 AM
yoona

Whoever said zumiez is a skateshop needs to reevaluate what a skateshop is. If that is your idea of a skateshop then you probably live in the mall. No hate towards diamond being in zumiez or anything but zumiez just isn't a skateshop. 

This topic is closed, replies are no longer accepted.