[The Hundreds] - 2009 Discussion Thread

December 01, 2009 @ 20:12:54
will there be a thla warehouse sale?
December 01, 2009 @ 20:14:17
I've heard you mention your ambition to do some sort of furniture design, have you made any steps toward doing that in the future? if so, would it be under The Hundreds brand name?
tie in question: do you ever have problems with projects or ideas you might want to do but are not consistent with the hundreds brand?
December 01, 2009 @ 20:16:18
will there ever be a hundreds X black scale collabo, i saw in one of those old pictures you posted was mega, triumvir would be cool also.

and ive also wondered, where do you see the hundreds being at in say, 5 years from now? i know you guys have a good diy ethic and dont really have as many retail accounts as you could, but as the company grows it seems like ecko/lrg fame is almost inevitable.

I don't see why not. Black Scale and Triumvir are both very respectable brands, and have done great jobs of solidifying their branding and image. I think those guys all do great work.

5 years from now, I just want to be able to continue what we're doing, employing our friends, maintaining our integrity, and staying relevant. To do that though, you need money. That's the tricky part, and the part that you guys do not see. At the end of the day we run a brand, but it's also a BUSINESS. I don't think we have to take the Ecko/LRG route. For one, LRG doesn't have stores. Ecko might..? But I don't think it's part of their model. Also, both of those brands don't have the following we do online. So right off the bat, those are huge distinctions between our business and theirs. So, you see, it can be done differently and have vastly different results.
December 01, 2009 @ 20:19:04
Bobby,

They are hundreds of streetwear brands but you guys seem to have more success than others. What are they doing wrong?

I don't know. They could be doing everything right, sometimes the cards just don't stack in your favor. I see a lot of talented people and brands out there, but for whatever reason, the stars don't align. You guys have to understand that it's hard work, a good concept, determination, good business practices, treating people with respect, maintaining vision, solid branding, good materials and quality, perseverance, etc etc etc. Think of all those factors.. if anything is missing, it can fall apart. It's such a difficult path to navigate, and I'm just fortunate to be where we are. We are successful in some ways, but very unsuccessful in others. We don't have the money that many of our competitors do, that's always a hurdle. We don't have investors or backers or partners. Just Ben and I. Anyways, I can go on, but it's not just 1 thing. And sometimes, it just has to do with luck. Being in the right place at the right time (*Read Gladwell's "Outliers"). And Ben and I happened to be there, I think.
December 01, 2009 @ 20:19:47
will there be a thla warehouse sale?

Yes.
December 01, 2009 @ 20:24:19
I've heard you mention your ambition to do some sort of furniture design, have you made any steps toward doing that in the future? if so, would it be under The Hundreds brand name?
tie in question: do you ever have problems with projects or ideas you might want to do but are not consistent with the hundreds brand?

I have concepts drawn up, but nowhere to put them yet. I'm sure they will fall under The Hundreds' name though. It's all a part of the equation.

Answer to your next question is YES. I am a branding MANIAC, and I am a PURIST. Sometimes it causes friction in our own office because I can be so anal about being so pure and true to our brand, that I can't let the simplest thing pass. For example, working with graphics, if we're doing a parody, I would MUCH rather it stay as close to the original design and feeling as possible, even if it means it can be updated with a better colorway or design tweak that would make it easier on the eye today. Or we will not pursue particular projects, that are REALLY cool, just because they don't jive with The Hundreds' brand.

Another example of that is Disney. Disney approached us and opened up their library. We could've done Mickey Mouse, which would have sold better, and gain more notoriety, than Peter Pan's the Lost Boys. But why do Mickey Mouse? It's too easy, and doesn't make sense with our brand at all. There's no story there. I'd much rather choose something a little off the beaten path, not so obvious, and makes perfect sense with The Hundreds: The Lost Boys. The kids who never grew up and fight pirates?? Perfect.

So that's the answer.
December 01, 2009 @ 20:24:45
and since you mentioned outliers, what other business type books can you recommend? i read outliers and buying in by your request and they were both great.
December 01, 2009 @ 20:24:51
Hey guys, thanks for everything. I gotta get outta the office. Have a good night and thanks for the opportunity to answer your questions.
December 01, 2009 @ 20:25:54
how cool would a Hundreds x Triumvir/Black Scale collab be on a scale from 1 to 10, 10 being the best, lol damn it left right after i posted
December 01, 2009 @ 20:26:20
Bobby,

What you mean you guys don't have that much money? You know how much I've spent on TH clothes, haha.

What can I do to get TH to sponsor my CD release party next year? It would be cool if I can some gear you guys don't need. Never hurts to ask right?
December 01, 2009 @ 20:26:21
and since you mentioned outliers, what other business type books can you recommend? i read outliers and buying in by your request and they were both great.

Oh, last question/answer.

Ben loves The Art of War. I think there is some good, but some bad to that. All of Gladwell's books are good. I like reading books more on BRANDING, than BUSINESS.
December 01, 2009 @ 20:28:18
i'm also a branding hound. thanks for your time and answers.
December 01, 2009 @ 21:18:33
Selling The Hundreds Bridge Burners tee and Tolfer tee sz L. Get at me!
December 01, 2009 @ 21:33:21
I just realized something....
Has there ever been TH mesh shorts??

Would have fit the theme of the hardcore shirts collabs.

They did sweatpants shorts before, but not the classic mesh ones.
would probably instantly pick those up.
December 02, 2009 @ 02:57:42
Felt like the tees could have been executed better, wayyy better tongueface

But the TH x DeLorean car looks smokeyfacesmokeyfacesmokeyfacesmokeyfacesmokeyfacesmokeyfacesmokeyfacesmokeyfacesmokeyfacesmokeyface
December 02, 2009 @ 03:41:45
It just happens, because that's what The Hundreds is about. I know some of our diehards want to keep The Hundreds for themselves, and others may see the brand as only for a specific group of people... (hipsters, hypebeasts, skaters, black kids, filipinos, white kids with bad hair, whatever).. but The Hundreds is about diversity. Look at us. Ben's background is Persian. I'm Korean. Scotty's half skunk. Right here outside my office I see a Guatemalan former DJ, a Black guy from the Bay, a Vietnamese Subie head, a Canadian lumberjack-type fellow, a Jewish rapper.

The Hundreds is about that, and embraces that. Our interests are all over the place, and so the brand is all over the place. There are pros and cons to that, but you definitely have a hard time pigeonholing us.

page 4
December 02, 2009 @ 05:31:09
Felt like the tees could have been executed better, wayyy better tongueface

yeah, no disrespect, but the DMC collab was original and creative or whatever, but it doesn't look that great.

i like the old stuff with a bit more subdued colors and graphics... i still wear a bunch of shit from 2006-2007... "The $ of Music" and "Nevermind" flip are still my faves of all time... The shirts are getting faded due to being washed so much.
December 02, 2009 @ 12:33:19
I've been down with TH since day one, and I've enjoyed watching the super sonic growth. I find it refreshing to see 2 guys make a living off their life's passion. Congrats!
As I get older I find my taste in fashion has toned itself down, simplicity is key. I find the new t's (the DeLorean collab) absolutely hideous! In my opinion, they look like the t-shirts you cop at one of the kiosk's in the middle of a mall where some dude airbrushes whatever design you ask for. They scream CHEESE! I know my 2 cents don't mean much in the grand scheme.
December 02, 2009 @ 13:45:40
Never been a fan of The Hundreds. I don't need my clothes to tell a story, which incidentally is what The Hundreds blog does an excellent job on. Work really doesn't allow me to wear t-shirts, and when I do get a chance to wear tees I prefer free ones from the last software conference, or my old Supreme joints. But, this collaboration with DMC made me a fan of this brand.

Everyone has a dream, and to see it come to fruition is a rarity, but to involve it with a brand and lifestyle becomes amazing.

People can hate on this brand all they want. I know I have. But, at the end of the day they do what they want, and racking up sales. Perfect business model? Perhaps.
December 02, 2009 @ 14:20:38
I find the new t's (the DeLorean collab) absolutely hideous! In my opinion, they look like the t-shirts you cop at one of the kiosk's in the middle of a mall where some dude airbrushes whatever design you ask for. They scream CHEESE! I know my 2 cents don't mean much in the grand scheme.

From Bobby:
Because of The Hundreds
December 02, 2009 @ 16:44:04
Never been a fan of The Hundreds. I don't need my clothes to tell a story, which incidentally is what The Hundreds blog does an excellent job on. Work really doesn't allow me to wear t-shirts, and when I do get a chance to wear tees I prefer free ones from the last software conference, or my old Supreme joints. But, this collaboration with DMC made me a fan of this brand.

Everyone has a dream, and to see it come to fruition is a rarity, but to involve it with a brand and lifestyle becomes amazing.

People can hate on this brand all they want. I know I have. But, at the end of the day they do what they want, and racking up sales. Perfect business model? Perhaps.

blushing
December 02, 2009 @ 17:04:19
add bunch of rare hundreds pieces in my sig
don't sleep

www.privilegedla.com | instagram.com/privilegedla | twitter.com/privilegedla

December 02, 2009 @ 17:08:07
Great SCOTT!
December 02, 2009 @ 17:09:03
anybody wanna buy a purple side adam bomb beanie from last year for 15 shipped?
December 02, 2009 @ 17:09:43
Bob, would you ever consider speaking at UCSD?
December 02, 2009 @ 18:57:10
anybody here want this

offer up

December 02, 2009 @ 20:54:57
Originally posted by Inactive User
Great SCOTT!

...this is heavy.
December 02, 2009 @ 21:56:54
They serious about buying that car?
December 02, 2009 @ 22:47:48
i can't even begin to imagine how much the car is going to be.
anyone have the JAGS hoodie from a year or two back?
December 03, 2009 @ 14:18:30
i was just looking at the magazine and i noticed they have stuff in the mag that never droped?

like with the Jun Cha collab they have pics of a jun cha version of the johnson lows....then they have some of the desigsn on a hoode and crewneck that only got put out on shirts?

then they are missing a black and blue team 2 snapback from fall
This topic is locked, replies are no longer accepted.
x