December 1, 2009 @ 07:21 PM
Aim2PLz44

Also, are you as pissed off as I am that the only way to go on BTTF:The Ride again is to go to Japan? I watched all of the released videos of the ride the other day and it brought back SO many memories of Universal Studios in Orlando.

this does suck but the simpsons ride is pretty cool.
December 1, 2009 @ 07:22 PM
bobbyhundreds

Good stuff. One more question did you ever climb to the top of rubidoux mountain?

Hahaha of course. Put on some gloves and skate down it old-school styles. Skate at the little ditch at the bottom. Every 4th of July, we'd set it on fire.
December 1, 2009 @ 07:23 PM
Aim2PLz44

Hahaha of course. Put on some gloves and skate down it old-school styles. Skate at the little ditch at the bottom. Every 4th of July, we'd set it on fire.

lol sounds familiar except it was bmxing for me.
December 1, 2009 @ 07:24 PM
bobbyhundreds

I just wanted to say that HOLY CRAP the TH DeLorean is INSANE... is it your personal car or is it a company thing?

Also, are you as pissed off as I am that the only way to go on BTTF:The Ride again is to go to Japan? I watched all of the released videos of the ride the other day and it brought back SO many memories of Universal Studios in Orlando.

Thanks! That's not my personal car... yet. smile

I AM pissed about that. And Universal is being super retarded about it as well. DMC actually was working with Universal to acquire all that stuff for the DeLorean Museum, but at the last minute, Universal backed out of the deal, and I think they destroyed most of it. Not sure why..?? But they are very weird with the Back to the Future name.
December 1, 2009 @ 07:25 PM
Heat.LA

Will you be driving the Jags DeLorean everyday to work from now on?
December 1, 2009 @ 07:26 PM
bobbyhundreds

Will you be driving the Jags DeLorean everyday to work from now on?

I hope! cool
December 1, 2009 @ 07:29 PM
Eddy.

my friend was wondering, THSF and huf are maybe 2 blocks from each other, is there gonna be any chance for a collab?
December 1, 2009 @ 07:44 PM
kazilla

designs
Bobby do you still do all designs for TH?

Do you put out stuff that you don't like but you know some people will so you do?

I bought the Fargo jacket online and was wondering if I can return for credit. I think last years "Bubbles" was better produced than the "Fargo". The "Fargo" needs more down inside.
December 1, 2009 @ 07:44 PM
ReZ

my friend was wondering, THSF and huf are maybe 2 blocks from each other, is there gonna be any chance for a collab?

It'll be called "Tuf" with Badam kickin' back a 40oz.
December 1, 2009 @ 07:46 PM
bobbyhundreds

Already happened.
December 1, 2009 @ 07:50 PM
bobbyhundreds

Bobby do you still do all designs for TH?

Do you put out stuff that you don't like but you know some people will so you do?

I bought the Fargo jacket online and was wondering if I can return for credit. I think last years "Bubbles" was better produced than the "Fargo". The "Fargo" needs more down inside.

I do not. It's impossible, there's not nearly enough time anymore. We need 6 people here at The Hundreds to handle all the work I used to do by myself. But I am still involved in everything we do, from the design of the web banners to what buttons we use on a flannel.

The easy answer to your next question is Yes. If I really REALLY put out only stuff that I liked, or Ben liked, you guys wouldn't buy anything. Trust.

Your last question goes against the rules I set out for you from my first post. smile
December 1, 2009 @ 07:55 PM
Eddy.

oh snap lol, didnt know that, was really hoping to see the adam bomb design inside the huf logo, anyway, would u break ur finger for a hat?
December 1, 2009 @ 07:58 PM
kazilla

Bobby,

Are you using Bape as a business model? It looks like the limited edtions, music and magazine you seem to do follow Bapes.

What's the best business lesson you learned so far?
December 1, 2009 @ 08:01 PM
bobbyhundreds

oh snap lol, didnt know that, was really hoping to see the adam bomb design inside the huf logo, anyway, would u break ur finger for a hat?

If we ever did another collab, that would probably not be how it would go. So don't hold your breath. smile
December 1, 2009 @ 08:05 PM
Eddy.

If we ever did another collab, that would probably not be how it would go. So don't hold your breath. smile

lol thats fine, in my head i thought itd look pretty dope, but would u break ur finger for the hat of ur choice?
December 1, 2009 @ 08:06 PM
bobbyhundreds

Bobby,

Are you using Bape as a business model? It looks like the limited edtions, music and magazine you seem to do follow Bapes.

What's the best business lesson you learned so far?

Nope. No offense, but think a little bit beyond the streetwear box. You'll see that Bape did not invent that model. That's just called being a global brand, and that's what we strive to be. Look at DeLorean. They make limited edition cars. They have their own magazine. But they didn't get that from Bape.

The best business lesson so far.. hmmm... there are many. First that comes to mind is "Just because you can, doesn't mean you should." And that's not anything I've learned from business. That's a rule I've lived by my whole life.
December 1, 2009 @ 08:08 PM
Hamez

did u run into any limitations with the deloran colab?
December 1, 2009 @ 08:10 PM
brokeneverbeat

will there ever be a hundreds X black scale collabo, i saw in one of those old pictures you posted was mega, triumvir would be cool also.

and ive also wondered, where do you see the hundreds being at in say, 5 years from now? i know you guys have a good diy ethic and dont really have as many retail accounts as you could, but as the company grows it seems like ecko/lrg fame is almost inevitable.
i_hate_simps

any plans right now for colabs with seattle stores/brands?
bobbyhundreds

lol thats fine, in my head i thought itd look pretty dope, but would u break ur finger for the hat of ur choice?

Nope.
December 1, 2009 @ 08:11 PM
bobbyhundreds

did u run into any limitations with the deloran colab?

Sure, as with any project you try to work on with a completely different brand. They can have their own ideas on how it should go. With collaborations like these, you also have to make sure that it makes sense on all levels. If there's no story or connection there, it's pointless. Money, costs, distribution, those are all tricky as well. The easy part is just saying YES LETS COLLAB. After that, it is year(s) of problem solving.
December 1, 2009 @ 08:12 PM
kazilla

Bobby,

They are hundreds of streetwear brands but you guys seem to have more success than others. What are they doing wrong?
December 1, 2009 @ 08:12 PM
xfactor22

will there be a thla warehouse sale?
December 1, 2009 @ 08:14 PM
Hamez

I've heard you mention your ambition to do some sort of furniture design, have you made any steps toward doing that in the future? if so, would it be under The Hundreds brand name?
tie in question: do you ever have problems with projects or ideas you might want to do but are not consistent with the hundreds brand?
December 1, 2009 @ 08:16 PM
bobbyhundreds

will there ever be a hundreds X black scale collabo, i saw in one of those old pictures you posted was mega, triumvir would be cool also.

and ive also wondered, where do you see the hundreds being at in say, 5 years from now? i know you guys have a good diy ethic and dont really have as many retail accounts as you could, but as the company grows it seems like ecko/lrg fame is almost inevitable.

I don't see why not. Black Scale and Triumvir are both very respectable brands, and have done great jobs of solidifying their branding and image. I think those guys all do great work.

5 years from now, I just want to be able to continue what we're doing, employing our friends, maintaining our integrity, and staying relevant. To do that though, you need money. That's the tricky part, and the part that you guys do not see. At the end of the day we run a brand, but it's also a BUSINESS. I don't think we have to take the Ecko/LRG route. For one, LRG doesn't have stores. Ecko might..? But I don't think it's part of their model. Also, both of those brands don't have the following we do online. So right off the bat, those are huge distinctions between our business and theirs. So, you see, it can be done differently and have vastly different results.
December 1, 2009 @ 08:19 PM
bobbyhundreds

Bobby,

They are hundreds of streetwear brands but you guys seem to have more success than others. What are they doing wrong?

I don't know. They could be doing everything right, sometimes the cards just don't stack in your favor. I see a lot of talented people and brands out there, but for whatever reason, the stars don't align. You guys have to understand that it's hard work, a good concept, determination, good business practices, treating people with respect, maintaining vision, solid branding, good materials and quality, perseverance, etc etc etc. Think of all those factors.. if anything is missing, it can fall apart. It's such a difficult path to navigate, and I'm just fortunate to be where we are. We are successful in some ways, but very unsuccessful in others. We don't have the money that many of our competitors do, that's always a hurdle. We don't have investors or backers or partners. Just Ben and I. Anyways, I can go on, but it's not just 1 thing. And sometimes, it just has to do with luck. Being in the right place at the right time (*Read Gladwell's "Outliers"). And Ben and I happened to be there, I think.
December 1, 2009 @ 08:19 PM
bobbyhundreds

will there be a thla warehouse sale?

Yes.
December 1, 2009 @ 08:24 PM
bobbyhundreds

I've heard you mention your ambition to do some sort of furniture design, have you made any steps toward doing that in the future? if so, would it be under The Hundreds brand name?
tie in question: do you ever have problems with projects or ideas you might want to do but are not consistent with the hundreds brand?

I have concepts drawn up, but nowhere to put them yet. I'm sure they will fall under The Hundreds' name though. It's all a part of the equation.

Answer to your next question is YES. I am a branding MANIAC, and I am a PURIST. Sometimes it causes friction in our own office because I can be so anal about being so pure and true to our brand, that I can't let the simplest thing pass. For example, working with graphics, if we're doing a parody, I would MUCH rather it stay as close to the original design and feeling as possible, even if it means it can be updated with a better colorway or design tweak that would make it easier on the eye today. Or we will not pursue particular projects, that are REALLY cool, just because they don't jive with The Hundreds' brand.

Another example of that is Disney. Disney approached us and opened up their library. We could've done Mickey Mouse, which would have sold better, and gain more notoriety, than Peter Pan's the Lost Boys. But why do Mickey Mouse? It's too easy, and doesn't make sense with our brand at all. There's no story there. I'd much rather choose something a little off the beaten path, not so obvious, and makes perfect sense with The Hundreds: The Lost Boys. The kids who never grew up and fight pirates?? Perfect.

So that's the answer.
Hamez

and since you mentioned outliers, what other business type books can you recommend? i read outliers and buying in by your request and they were both great.
bobbyhundreds

Hey guys, thanks for everything. I gotta get outta the office. Have a good night and thanks for the opportunity to answer your questions.

This topic is closed, replies are no longer accepted.