[The Hundreds] - 2009 Discussion Thread

December 01, 2009 @ 19:13:18
Congratulations on the Delorean collab, Bobby! Gave a lot of in-depth view on a car we only knew as "from Back To The Future."

My question is, with all the collaborations you've done how much did you enjoy this one compared to others? When you worked with other artists and brands on a project how does the whole process go together? Do you guys throw ideas in and see what works or does one party have the idea ready and you both run with it?
Then going along with this project, did DMC put their input on what concepts and ideas would work for the shirts and caps, or was it all you?
December 01, 2009 @ 19:13:22
will there be a large inventory of clothes at the warehouse sale?
and will it be different from the items that were at the black friday sale?

Yes. And yes.
December 01, 2009 @ 19:14:43
hey bobby, will you ever ever ever offer an internship to strangers like my self?

We have in the past, but they're far and few between. We rarely accept interns, and they're usually people we know. Just because we trust them... you can imagine how protective we are of anything within these walls.
December 01, 2009 @ 19:15:00
and why'd you guys decide to do the sale in SF?
will there be one in LA too?

www.briankanagi.com

December 01, 2009 @ 19:16:41
It just happens, because that's what The Hundreds is about. I know some of our diehards want to keep The Hundreds for themselves, and others may see the brand as only for a specific group of people... (hipsters, hypebeasts, skaters, black kids, filipinos, white kids with bad hair, whatever).. but The Hundreds is about diversity. Look at us. Ben's background is Persian. I'm Korean. Scotty's half skunk. Right here outside my office I see a Guatemalan former DJ, a Black guy from the Bay, a Vietnamese Subie head, a Canadian lumberjack-type fellow, a Jewish rapper.

The Hundreds is about that, and embraces that. Our interests are all over the place, and so the brand is all over the place. There are pros and cons to that, but you definitely have a hard time pigeonholing us.

Good stuff. One more question did you ever climb to the top of rubidoux mountain?
December 01, 2009 @ 19:17:40
We have in the past, but they're far and few between. We rarely accept interns, and they're usually people we know. Just because we trust them... you can imagine how protective we are of anything within these walls.

is there a way id go about getting one? or just keep an eye out?
December 01, 2009 @ 19:19:23
I just wanted to say that HOLY CRAP the TH DeLorean is INSANE... is it your personal car or is it a company thing?

Also, are you as pissed off as I am that the only way to go on BTTF:The Ride again is to go to Japan? I watched all of the released videos of the ride the other day and it brought back SO many memories of Universal Studios in Orlando.
December 01, 2009 @ 19:21:17
Congratulations on the Delorean collab, Bobby! Gave a lot of in-depth view on a car we only knew as "from Back To The Future."

My question is, with all the collaborations you've done how much did you enjoy this one compared to others? When you worked with other artists and brands on a project how does the whole process go together? Do you guys throw ideas in and see what works or does one party have the idea ready and you both run with it?
Then going along with this project, did DMC put their input on what concepts and ideas would work for the shirts and caps, or was it all you?

This one was awesome, perhaps the most intriguing, challenging, and overall fun to date. I think I've made it very clear that I've been obsessed with the car and its mythology since I was 5 years old. So, that probably gives you a good idea of how fun it was to meet the owners of DeLorean, be surrounded with them, have privileged access to photos and paperwork, the true story behind everything. Very cool.

Each collaboration is different. But we all work as a team here at The Hundreds. I have the freedom to go out and find new, interesting, different (not always the most popular) partners to work with on a collab. Usually, I have a general idea and direction for how I want it to go. Then I have the best team here to help see that vision executed. Benjie and Nate on graphics. Pat on cut/sew. Vito on accessories. The sales guys, Scotty, Dave, Brien get that stuff everywhere. And Ben runs the entire operation. Every piece of the puzzle is just as crucial as the concept, or the design..

For this one, we handled all of the artwork and I figured out the story that runs alongside the project. DeLorean added comments on certain graphics, if they thought maybe a door should be open here or there to emphasize the design of the car. Lots of little details that most of you would never even notice, but just know that a lot of forethought and hours of labor went into the final result.
December 01, 2009 @ 19:21:21
Also, are you as pissed off as I am that the only way to go on BTTF:The Ride again is to go to Japan? I watched all of the released videos of the ride the other day and it brought back SO many memories of Universal Studios in Orlando.

this does suck but the simpsons ride is pretty cool.
December 01, 2009 @ 19:22:17
Good stuff. One more question did you ever climb to the top of rubidoux mountain?

Hahaha of course. Put on some gloves and skate down it old-school styles. Skate at the little ditch at the bottom. Every 4th of July, we'd set it on fire.
December 01, 2009 @ 19:23:38
Hahaha of course. Put on some gloves and skate down it old-school styles. Skate at the little ditch at the bottom. Every 4th of July, we'd set it on fire.

lol sounds familiar except it was bmxing for me.
December 01, 2009 @ 19:24:15
I just wanted to say that HOLY CRAP the TH DeLorean is INSANE... is it your personal car or is it a company thing?

Thanks! That's not my personal car... yet. blushing

I AM pissed about that. And Universal is being super retarded about it as well. DMC actually was working with Universal to acquire all that stuff for the DeLorean Museum, but at the last minute, Universal backed out of the deal, and I think they destroyed most of it. Not sure why..?? But they are very weird with the Back to the Future name.
December 01, 2009 @ 19:25:48
Will you be driving the Jags DeLorean everyday to work from now on?
December 01, 2009 @ 19:26:39
Will you be driving the Jags DeLorean everyday to work from now on?

I hope! smokeyface
December 01, 2009 @ 19:29:24
my friend was wondering, THSF and huf are maybe 2 blocks from each other, is there gonna be any chance for a collab?
December 01, 2009 @ 19:44:08
designs
Bobby do you still do all designs for TH?

Do you put out stuff that you don't like but you know some people will so you do?

I bought the Fargo jacket online and was wondering if I can return for credit. I think last years "Bubbles" was better produced than the "Fargo". The "Fargo" needs more down inside.
December 01, 2009 @ 19:44:13
Originally posted by Inactive User
my friend was wondering, THSF and huf are maybe 2 blocks from each other, is there gonna be any chance for a collab?

It'll be called "Tuf" with Badam kickin' back a 40oz.
December 01, 2009 @ 19:46:53

Already happened.
December 01, 2009 @ 19:50:39
Bobby do you still do all designs for TH?

Do you put out stuff that you don't like but you know some people will so you do?

I bought the Fargo jacket online and was wondering if I can return for credit. I think last years "Bubbles" was better produced than the "Fargo". The "Fargo" needs more down inside.

I do not. It's impossible, there's not nearly enough time anymore. We need 6 people here at The Hundreds to handle all the work I used to do by myself. But I am still involved in everything we do, from the design of the web banners to what buttons we use on a flannel.

The easy answer to your next question is Yes. If I really REALLY put out only stuff that I liked, or Ben liked, you guys wouldn't buy anything. Trust.

Your last question goes against the rules I set out for you from my first post. blushing
December 01, 2009 @ 19:55:54
oh snap lol, didnt know that, was really hoping to see the adam bomb design inside the huf logo, anyway, would u break ur finger for a hat?
December 01, 2009 @ 19:58:52
Bobby,

Are you using Bape as a business model? It looks like the limited edtions, music and magazine you seem to do follow Bapes.

What's the best business lesson you learned so far?
December 01, 2009 @ 20:01:03
oh snap lol, didnt know that, was really hoping to see the adam bomb design inside the huf logo, anyway, would u break ur finger for a hat?

If we ever did another collab, that would probably not be how it would go. So don't hold your breath. blushing
December 01, 2009 @ 20:05:39
If we ever did another collab, that would probably not be how it would go. So don't hold your breath. blushing

lol thats fine, in my head i thought itd look pretty dope, but would u break ur finger for the hat of ur choice?
December 01, 2009 @ 20:06:03
Bobby,

Are you using Bape as a business model? It looks like the limited edtions, music and magazine you seem to do follow Bapes.

What's the best business lesson you learned so far?

Nope. No offense, but think a little bit beyond the streetwear box. You'll see that Bape did not invent that model. That's just called being a global brand, and that's what we strive to be. Look at DeLorean. They make limited edition cars. They have their own magazine. But they didn't get that from Bape.

The best business lesson so far.. hmmm... there are many. First that comes to mind is "Just because you can, doesn't mean you should." And that's not anything I've learned from business. That's a rule I've lived by my whole life.
December 01, 2009 @ 20:08:25
did u run into any limitations with the deloran colab?
December 01, 2009 @ 20:10:19
will there ever be a hundreds X black scale collabo, i saw in one of those old pictures you posted was mega, triumvir would be cool also.

and ive also wondered, where do you see the hundreds being at in say, 5 years from now? i know you guys have a good diy ethic and dont really have as many retail accounts as you could, but as the company grows it seems like ecko/lrg fame is almost inevitable.
December 01, 2009 @ 20:10:20
any plans right now for colabs with seattle stores/brands?
December 01, 2009 @ 20:10:36
lol thats fine, in my head i thought itd look pretty dope, but would u break ur finger for the hat of ur choice?

Nope.
December 01, 2009 @ 20:11:56
did u run into any limitations with the deloran colab?

Sure, as with any project you try to work on with a completely different brand. They can have their own ideas on how it should go. With collaborations like these, you also have to make sure that it makes sense on all levels. If there's no story or connection there, it's pointless. Money, costs, distribution, those are all tricky as well. The easy part is just saying YES LETS COLLAB. After that, it is year(s) of problem solving.
December 01, 2009 @ 20:12:41
Bobby,

They are hundreds of streetwear brands but you guys seem to have more success than others. What are they doing wrong?
This topic is locked, replies are no longer accepted.
x