Free Worldwide Shipping on Orders Over $150.00 USD or more - Use Code: HBSHIP150
December 13, 2008 @ 11:27 AM
pnsho

best overrated movie : boondock saints

Fixed.
December 13, 2008 @ 12:00 PM
SK1

sk1, oviously you don't get the point of all the good voted movies. ...those aren't just movies, those are art! those aren't just to entertain you... those movies try to make you think about what is reality. those movies connect the line to what's happening in the real world in a very good sense... and you can't make one of those movies in a better way then they are.

Are you serious? Most of the films I named are considered "art films." So I don't really agree with your point here. I think my point is that part of whats lacking in some of these films, such as Shawshank, is that they have little to no artistic value, just great story. But the medium of film is about the aesthetic, not the story, or else it'd just be a book.

About me having bad taste in film, this thread wasn't exactly to bicker about opinions, since most people's are unchanging, especially on a subjective category such as this one. What I wanted was for people to maybe name some more underrated films...

I agree Boondock Saints is a shit film.
December 14, 2008 @ 07:48 AM
MiamiSkate

what do you give E.T 1-10?
December 16, 2008 @ 02:21 AM
udomsin

Fixed.

haha agreed
December 21, 2008 @ 03:02 PM
SwissMissFire

Here is my list, I'm using IMDB as I know it is probably the greatest and most mainstream forum for film discussion. I often post and vote/review on the site. So here is my list.

To start. The Shawshank Redemption. Man I love this movie, Tim Robbins is good, so is Morgan Freeman. But the greatest film ever made? I don't think so. I'm not sure I'd even name it top 10, yet its #1 on IMDB.

Probably the most recent film I'll list here. The Dark Knight. Man I have never seen a movie that has gotten so overrated. Heath Ledger gave an amazing performance undoubtedly, but that does not put off its problems. Too long, weak plot, weak characters including Bale's Batman.

The Empire Strikes Back. Man I don't get why this one is rated so high, am I the only one who thinks a New Hope was the best Star Wars film? Maybe it's just me...

City of God. Another film I love and it was a breath of fresh air. But among the 20 greatest films ever made? I don't think so...

Fight Club. I think this movie has one thing going for it. Its cool. And Brad Pitt is cool. And the companies blowing up is cool. But honestly, its not that great folks!

Se7en. I mean, it was a good movie, it was interesting, and you know what else it was, completely predictable! I still don't get what's so great about this movie! I like it but give me a break it isn't one of the greatest ever made.

Leon aka the Professional. This movie is so incrediably shitty I can't believe its ranked so high. Natalie Portman is annoying. Leon just seems like a weirdo pedophile. Little to no character development. Shit dialogue. Stupid villains. Dumb plot.

American History X. Honestly I think people just like this movie so they can hear ******! and KIKE! and other cuss words, as well as seeing a guy get his jaw knocked in half. Beyond that its predictable with weak characters and a weak and predictable plotline. How this gets on a top 250, and even then top 50 is beyond reason.

Amelie. Okay its a cute French film interesting dialogue and story but is it really among the top 50 films ever made? I don't think so.

Psycho. Oh my God, so scary! Not. So overrated.

Here are the top 10 films NOT in IMDB's top 50 that I think should be.

#1. Breathless (Jean-Luc Godard)[not listed in 250]
#2. Raging Bull (Scorsese)[71 in 250 (wtfconfused]
#3. Tokyo Story (Yasujiro) [not listed]
#4. Band of Outsiders (Jean-Luc Godard)[not listed]
#5. Blade Runner (Scott)[103]
#6. La Dolce Vita (Fellini) [237]
#7. Il Postino (Radford) [not listed, severely underrated]
#8. Kingdom of Heaven (Scott)[not listed, severely underrated]
#9. Children of Men (Cuaron) [172]
#10. Patton (Schaffner) [208, lol what a joke]

No>sad
December 22, 2008 @ 12:04 AM
Zeon

Spike Lee joints need to get more love. Especially from today's African American youths.
December 22, 2008 @ 08:37 AM
chopstickthugz

i do see where ur going with this whole "ART" movies n all, but films are made to enterntain ppl. Also i didnt even watch all of the movies u listed

i like Se7en because i like thriller n liked the whole 7 sins theme
i like Leon the professional and is one of my favorite films... the hitman who never got chance to really feel loved by others. Remember he waters his plant? that's his only friend. a young girl who lost her whole family and eager to seek for her revenge. Gary Oldman is the fucking awesome in that movie. (Sting's "shape of my heart" was good )
i like Fight club because it deals with anarchism n the whole reason for
Amelie was interesting as hell n i usually dont watch that kind of genre of movies.

i enjoyed watching Children of Men, but as soon as it ended i was like "what that's it?"
pulp fiction is NOT overrated man shit is fuckin sick.
i think Scar Face is overrated... too long for me n the plot wasnt keeping interested for whole time. Though i fairly enjoyed it

*1. American Psycho is brilliant
2. Eastern Promises is good too and love the knife fighting scene
3. V for Vendetta is pretty good.
4. Oldboy is fucking crazy shit man god... i love that korean movie
5. Requiem for a Dream is excellent
6. The Thin Red Line is a war movie that's very different. not much focus on action in a war, but rather much more on the whole meaning of war...
7. The Deer Hunter is also great too... love the whole russian roulette part. it perfectly depicts everyone is victims in a war
8. Inside Man is very smart n interesting throughout the whole movie
9. La Haine (Hatred) is very good blk/white French movie.
10. iam sam with Sean Penn did good n i dont think he went "fully retarded" like they say in Tropic Thunder
December 22, 2008 @ 09:54 AM
SK1

I like all the movies you listed, they're all pretty good.

Just to point out, I never said Pulp Fiction was overrated, it's one of my favorite films.

My main point is that films that are good, such as Se7en or Leon, should not be considered among the greatest films. That is not to say they are bad films, just that there are a lot of films that are much better and simply don't get as much attention.

cool
December 22, 2008 @ 09:03 PM
chopstickthugz

I like all the movies you listed, they're all pretty good.

Just to point out, I never said Pulp Fiction was overrated, it's one of my favorite films.

My main point is that films that are good, such as Se7en or Leon, should not be considered among the greatest films. That is not to say they are bad films, just that there are a lot of films that are much better and simply don't get as much attention.

cool

fair enough. i didnt watch much of old movies n blk/white movies

oh by the way has anyone seen movie called "Hardcandy"? it's about a under age teen girl meeting a grown-up photographer. the conflicts start from there and there are 3 ppl in the whole movie. i never watch any movie like that

"21 grams" was good too. a weight that leaves the body when ppl die... maybe a weight of soul?
December 23, 2008 @ 08:52 PM
AlphaTrion

i do see where ur going with this whole "ART" movies n all, but films are made to enterntain ppl. Also i didnt even watch all of the movies u listed

Movies are just a medium. There's nothing inherent about them that says they have to be entertaining.
December 24, 2008 @ 01:54 AM

Inactive

Fixed.

^100000000% agreed
December 25, 2008 @ 10:23 PM
ImperiusRex

Who ever says Fight Club is over rated needs ta watch the movie, read the book, then watch it agian...That movie is epic. On another note, one of spike lee's MANY great movies needs ta make the list...and yes, Boondock Saints wasnt the best movie in the world, but for some reason i still love it.

P.S, My moms gave me "Fight Club/Boondoc Saints" DVD bundle 2day for X-mas...Ironic that i would end up talkin about it
December 26, 2008 @ 09:14 AM
SK1

I just watched Fight Club last night, I think its a pretty good movie, but it is not one of the greatest of all time.
December 26, 2008 @ 10:02 AM
Citizen-16657

The spirit-biggest piece of trash next to daredevil
December 27, 2008 @ 05:00 AM
MILK_&crackers

The spirit-biggest piece of trash next to daredevil

fuck outta here u serious?? daredevil was pretty fuckin high up on the comic to film adaptation totem poll, just short of league of extraordinary gentleman & the punisher duking it out with ghostrider for 1st place
December 28, 2008 @ 07:51 PM
outlawzsm

^ u just mentioned the absolute worst comic movies,
December 28, 2008 @ 11:10 PM
theworstkids

he had to be joking.
December 28, 2008 @ 11:39 PM
MILK_&crackers

^ u just mentioned the absolute worst comic movies,

dat was my intention, lets also not 4get the hulk (eric bana version although the last one wit edward norton wasnt that great either) am i missing any??? oh yeaaaaaaa elektra & the 3rd blade movie, JESUSSSS wat a piece of shit....

honorable mention to dat captain america movie as well
December 28, 2008 @ 11:45 PM
ville alfa

#1. Breathless (Jean-Luc Godard)[not listed in 250]
#2. Raging Bull (Scorsese)[71 in 250 (wtfconfused]
#3. Tokyo Story (Yasujiro) [not listed]
#4. Band of Outsiders (Jean-Luc Godard)[not listed]
#5. Blade Runner (Scott)[103]
#6. La Dolce Vita (Fellini) [237]
#7. Il Postino (Radford) [not listed, severely underrated]
#8. Kingdom of Heaven (Scott)[not listed, severely underrated]
#9. Children of Men (Cuaron) [172]
#10. Patton (Schaffner) [208, lol what a joke]

so this was this your list of underrated films?
December 29, 2008 @ 12:04 PM
SK1

Yeah. cool
December 29, 2008 @ 01:32 PM
theworstkids

I don't think Breathless is underrated at all. I just think the IMDB website has a bunch of casual movie goers voting.
December 29, 2008 @ 01:44 PM
SK1

I think most people are casual movie goers, I've only met a few people who've seen Breathless.
December 29, 2008 @ 03:23 PM
flow

*1. American Psycho is brilliant
2. Eastern Promises is good too and love the knife fighting scene
3. V for Vendetta is pretty good.
4. Oldboy is fucking crazy shit man god... i love that korean movie
5. Requiem for a Dream is excellent
6. The Thin Red Line is a war movie that's very different. not much focus on action in a war, but rather much more on the whole meaning of war...
7. The Deer Hunter is also great too... love the whole russian roulette part. it perfectly depicts everyone is victims in a war
8. Inside Man is very smart n interesting throughout the whole movie
9. La Haine (Hatred) is very good blk/white French movie.
10. iam sam with Sean Penn did good n i dont think he went "fully retarded" like they say in Tropic Thunder

this guy know what he talks about!
eastern promises is fucking good (i love it), but not underrated... if it came out earlier it would be more classic. ...and the story is classic.
oldboy is a sick movie, i always enjoy to watch it.
requiem for a dream is fucking sick! ...that movie touches me again every time i watch it.
inside man is damn clever!

exept for v for vendetta... i just don't like this movie.

my favs are:
requiem for a dream
into the wild (...and i don't like this kind of movies)
psycho (1960 ...so classic))
the prestige (damn, this story!)
city of god
fight club (idea of the story is unbeatable)
memento
saving private ryan (best war movie for me)
...but i think these are fair rated
December 29, 2008 @ 05:18 PM
theworstkids

I think most people are casual movie goers, I've only met a few people who've seen Breathless.

That's true, I'm surrounded by art kids in school so I hear it a lot I guess.

You should check out a movie called Tae Guk Gi: Brotherhood of War if you haven't already. My favorite war movie.
December 29, 2008 @ 07:23 PM
SK1

Anyone seen Aguirre: Wrath of God? I'm still not sure what I think about this film...
December 30, 2008 @ 04:15 AM
ville alfa

for me, breathless, blade runner, la dolce vita or raging bull are all classics and each one is a groundbreaking film in their own way. granted that not so many "casual movie goers" have seen them, but still i don't think any of them can be called underrated.

plus the imdb top 250 is full of garbage anyways so why use that as a reference point?
December 30, 2008 @ 04:50 AM
chopstickthugz

my favs are:
requiem for a dream
into the wild (...and i don't like this kind of movies)
psycho (1960 ...so classic))
the prestige (damn, this story!)
city of god
fight club (idea of the story is unbeatable)
memento
...but i think these are fair rated

Into the Wild is very enjoyable to watch and keeps the viewers interested

Memento could be one of the trippest movie i have ever watched and i dont think i was ever drawn into a movie like this one and keep had me guessing until the last moment

The Prestige did very good! it was based on book, even though i didnt read the book i know movies based off of books seem to have strong plots

City Of God is fucking nuts.

*add
Taxi Driver with mohawks "ARE U TALKING TO ME?"
Black Hawk Down was very good war movie too.

btw to me, definition of Classic movie means despite the fact how much u watch the SAME movie, but every time you watch it u notice different and appreciate the brilliant moments that captured in the lens.

For the books, I'll say Shakespears' works and Lord of the Rings series (creating imaginative world for the book with the language just made for the series and such.)
December 30, 2008 @ 07:19 AM
Scotiax

oh by the way has anyone seen movie called "Hardcandy"?

Hard Candy, is an amazing film.
It never really got the credit it deserved.
it got alot of mixed reviews, and was only in real cinemas for a week or so (UK)

for a limited cast (good cast though) limited locations and fairly limited budget in today's standards I think its excellent.

and Ellen page *win*

on another note.

Fight Club is a good movie and is one of the best book to film movies i think ive seen.

here my top 10. (it changes often) i couldn't say i have one favourite film. but i will just make a list of 10 amazing films. Also these are just films i enjoy watching.

1. A Clockwork Orange
2. Full Metal Jacket
3. Edmond
4. Almost Famous
5. Apocalypto (visually its stunning)
6. Hard Candy
7. Lady Vengeance
8. Eagle Vs Shark
9. The Life Aquatic
10. Falling Down

as i said just a list of 10good movies.
not necessarily my top 10 favourite films.
January 1, 2009 @ 01:16 AM
chopstickthugz

^after watching Hard Candy, i dont ever think about gettin' it on with under-age girls. i mean who can after watching that film? i like to keep my penis where it belongs, instead of end up in a blender

To add some more movies
1. Zodiac, one with Robert Downey Jr. and Jake. it was great thriller movie that kept me guessing who's the Zodiac killer is. Just when i thought i know who's the killer i was WRONG lol. great film

2. Pusher Trilogy, honestly i dont know why i like hardcore fucked up stuff in the movies, but i guess i like that slap on my face feeling after done watching the films. it's about underground world in Coppenhagen. drug dealer just try to make it another day.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pusher_trilogy

3. Drugstore Cowboy, i really like this director 1st off. Just another struggling day for junkies to get through for their fixes. I like the guy with the golden arm (William Burroughs) Long before the Transpotting or Requiem for a Dream.

*Memories of Murder is another great crime/thriller movie from Korea. it's about 2 cops chasing a mysterious killer who kills the women wearing red clothing in the raining day in 1986 (sounds already interesting doesnt it? ). I strongly recommend to those who enjoy watching Memento, Zodiac, and Se7en.
www.imdb.com/title/tt0353969/
January 1, 2009 @ 05:45 PM
AlphaTrion

I think Zodiac was pretty underrated. It got a bad rap cause of it's marketing campaign which painted it as thriller like the Bone Collector or something of that nature. It's really more of a biopic about a writer and the obsession that he goes through than the hunting of a killer.

Please login first to reply.