Free Worldwide Shipping on Orders Over $150.00 USD or more - Use Code: HBSHIP150
December 8, 2008 @ 08:25 PM
SK1

Here is my list, I'm using IMDB as I know it is probably the greatest and most mainstream forum for film discussion. I often post and vote/review on the site. So here is my list.

To start. The Shawshank Redemption. Man I love this movie, Tim Robbins is good, so is Morgan Freeman. But the greatest film ever made? I don't think so. I'm not sure I'd even name it top 10, yet its #1 on IMDB.

Probably the most recent film I'll list here. The Dark Knight. Man I have never seen a movie that has gotten so overrated. Heath Ledger gave an amazing performance undoubtedly, but that does not put off its problems. Too long, weak plot, weak characters including Bale's Batman.

The Empire Strikes Back. Man I don't get why this one is rated so high, am I the only one who thinks a New Hope was the best Star Wars film? Maybe it's just me...

City of God. Another film I love and it was a breath of fresh air. But among the 20 greatest films ever made? I don't think so...

Fight Club. I think this movie has one thing going for it. Its cool. And Brad Pitt is cool. And the companies blowing up is cool. But honestly, its not that great folks!

Se7en. I mean, it was a good movie, it was interesting, and you know what else it was, completely predictable! I still don't get what's so great about this movie! I like it but give me a break it isn't one of the greatest ever made.

Leon aka the Professional. This movie is so incrediably shitty I can't believe its ranked so high. Natalie Portman is annoying. Leon just seems like a weirdo pedophile. Little to no character development. Shit dialogue. Stupid villains. Dumb plot.

American History X. Honestly I think people just like this movie so they can hear ******! and KIKE! and other cuss words, as well as seeing a guy get his jaw knocked in half. Beyond that its predictable with weak characters and a weak and predictable plotline. How this gets on a top 250, and even then top 50 is beyond reason.

Amelie. Okay its a cute French film interesting dialogue and story but is it really among the top 50 films ever made? I don't think so.

Psycho. Oh my God, so scary! Not. So overrated.

Here are the top 10 films NOT in IMDB's top 50 that I think should be.

#1. Breathless (Jean-Luc Godard)[not listed in 250]
#2. Raging Bull (Scorsese)[71 in 250 (wtfconfused]
#3. Tokyo Story (Yasujiro) [not listed]
#4. Band of Outsiders (Jean-Luc Godard)[not listed]
#5. Blade Runner (Scott)[103]
#6. La Dolce Vita (Fellini) [237]
#7. Il Postino (Radford) [not listed, severely underrated]
#8. Kingdom of Heaven (Scott)[not listed, severely underrated]
#9. Children of Men (Cuaron) [172]
#10. Patton (Schaffner) [208, lol what a joke]
December 8, 2008 @ 08:44 PM

Inactive

good underated list. However, thetitle of the thread should be underated by IMDB because none of the films you mentioned are underated. Most of them widely acclaimed and known as undisputed classics. Dont know if an online rating system voted on by shlubs like anyone else and unrefined cinema taste should be the end all be all of whats overated and underated.
December 8, 2008 @ 08:51 PM
SK1

You're right but most people have what you refer to as unrefined taste and I'm guessing that includes most HB members. I could do something like some of the critics most overrated (Citizen Kane, Casablanca) but I honestly don't think most people have seen a lot of those films. Also a lot of the critics choices which I think are overrated are still way better than some of these films, such as The Dark Knight and American History X etc.

About Fight Club, I just really don't think it is better than any of the films I listed.

Also anyone else who wants to add on some underrated films go ahead I always like to check out unappreciated stuff.
December 8, 2008 @ 08:56 PM
pnsho

Throw out Kingdom of Heaven, and you're good.
December 8, 2008 @ 08:59 PM
SK1

Have you seen the Director's Cut?
December 8, 2008 @ 09:26 PM
rich

www.rottentomatoes.com/m/tokyo_story/
Good stuff.

and I agree with OhSnap cool
December 8, 2008 @ 09:33 PM
pnsho

Have you seen the Director's Cut?

Yes.

But you can say it's my bias; Bloom is not my favorite actor.
December 9, 2008 @ 06:41 AM
MILK_&crackers

you lost all semblance of credibility when kingdom of heaven came into the fold, children of men should've been higher & i would've thrown the movie pi into the mix somewhere.

i agree that citizen kane is overrated but still a really good movie, notably absent films were la haine, old boy & pulp fiction.
December 9, 2008 @ 07:47 AM
SK1

I know people hate KoH but I think it is a great film thats underrated. As a Godard fan I don't think Pulp Fiction is overrated at all.

I'm not doing this to say what people want to hear, or else I wouldn't have included KoH, but to try to exchange some information about films. If you haven't seen any of those you should definitely check them out.
December 9, 2008 @ 11:06 AM
fiasco-bengal

koh aint all dat
December 9, 2008 @ 11:17 AM
SK1

So I guess people only disagree with 1 choice out of 10 pretty good imo. cool
December 9, 2008 @ 11:20 AM
Jim Jardashian

Kung-Fu Panda is ...

but I think Wall-E is overrated, btw I'm 6 1/2
December 9, 2008 @ 10:07 PM

Inactive

City Of God is better than every film you mentioned.
December 9, 2008 @ 10:46 PM
MILK_&crackers

I know people hate KoH but I think it is a great film thats underrated. As a Godard fan I don't think Pulp Fiction is overrated at all.

I'm not doing this to say what people want to hear, or else I wouldn't have included KoH, but to try to exchange some information about films. If you haven't seen any of those you should definitely check them out.

na i didnt mean those films were overrated, pulp fiction is one of the best movies of all time, does so many things right, i actually meant they should've been included in your greatest movies list, ma fault should've clarified
December 10, 2008 @ 12:37 AM
SK1

City Of God is better than every film you mentioned.

Doesn't compare with a Godard. But anyway, its not underrated, its held in pretty high esteem, so whats your point?
December 11, 2008 @ 10:40 AM
Pastiche_

Just for this year.

Overated=Iron Man
Underrated=Funny Games
December 11, 2008 @ 07:25 PM
oןʎɐɹ

i thought leon the professional was a fucking pedofile. natalie portman is deff trying to get on his dick.
December 11, 2008 @ 07:49 PM
MiamiSkate

in my generation E.T, jurrasic park, and indiana jones are under rated, steven spielberg is incredible espiacialy with john williams scores!
December 12, 2008 @ 03:12 PM
Pastiche_

in my generation E.T, jurrasic park, and indiana jones are under rated, steven spielberg is incredible espiacialy with john williams scores!

I couldn't disagree more. Steven Spielberg is probably the most overrated director of all time.
December 12, 2008 @ 03:56 PM
SK1

True, he did do Schindler's List though.
December 12, 2008 @ 04:00 PM
dUn DeKid

the colors.... so amazing.. so 80s..
December 12, 2008 @ 08:07 PM
MiamiSkate

i didnt say steven is over rated-he is a spectacular director/producer
December 12, 2008 @ 08:35 PM
AlphaTrion

Whether you like Speilberg or not, he really is a pretty incredible director.

Same can be said of Citizen Kane in terms of film. It can be liked or disliked but regardless it is technically perfect.
December 13, 2008 @ 12:47 AM
SK1

I agree. That's what holds back some films for me, they suffer from weak directing. Example, City of God.
December 13, 2008 @ 01:03 AM
sellme

The Empire Strikes Back. Man I don't get why this one is rated so high, am I the only one who thinks a New Hope was the best Star Wars film? Maybe it's just me...

Fight Club. I think this movie has one thing going for it. Its cool. And Brad Pitt is cool. And the companies blowing up is cool. But honestly, its not that great folks!

Empire Strikes Back was hands down the best Star Wars movie.

Fight club is not overrated, it is one of the greatest of all-time.
December 13, 2008 @ 01:50 AM
DC RA

best underrated movie : boondock saints
December 13, 2008 @ 07:01 AM
MILK_&crackers

i can understand why boondock saints has a cult following but is pretty fairly rated, its seriously just ok, it entertains but it wasnt groundbreaking by anyones definition
December 13, 2008 @ 08:54 AM
flow

sk1, oviously you don't get the point of all the good voted movies. ...those aren't just movies, those are art! those aren't just to entertain you... those movies try to make you think about what is reality. those movies connect the line to what's happening in the real world in a very good sense... and you can't make one of those movies in a better way then they are.
December 13, 2008 @ 09:18 AM
HoyitsCUMSUCKA

Here is my list, I'm using IMDB as I know it is probably the greatest and most mainstream forum for film discussion. I often post and vote/review on the site. So here is my list.

To start. The Shawshank Redemption. Man I love this movie, Tim Robbins is good, so is Morgan Freeman. But the greatest film ever made? I don't think so. I'm not sure I'd even name it top 10, yet its #1 on IMDB.

Probably the most recent film I'll list here. The Dark Knight. Man I have never seen a movie that has gotten so overrated. Heath Ledger gave an amazing performance undoubtedly, but that does not put off its problems. Too long, weak plot, weak characters including Bale's Batman.

City of God. Another film I love and it was a breath of fresh air. But among the 20 greatest films ever made? I don't think so...

Se7en. I mean, it was a good movie, it was interesting, and you know what else it was, completely predictable! I still don't get what's so great about this movie! I like it but give me a break it isn't one of the greatest ever made.

Leon aka the Professional. This movie is so incrediably shitty I can't believe its ranked so high. Natalie Portman is annoying. Leon just seems like a weirdo pedophile. Little to no character development. Shit dialogue. Stupid villains. Dumb plot.

American History X. Honestly I think people just like this movie so they can hear ******! and KIKE! and other cuss words, as well as seeing a guy get his jaw knocked in half. Beyond that its predictable with weak characters and a weak and predictable plotline. How this gets on a top 250, and even then top 50 is beyond reason.

Amelie. Okay its a cute French film interesting dialogue and story but is it really among the top 50 films ever made? I don't think so.

Psycho. Oh my God, so scary! Not. So overrated.

Here are the top 10 films NOT in IMDB's top 50 that I think should be.

#1. Breathless (Jean-Luc Godard)[not listed in 250]
#2. Raging Bull (Scorsese)[71 in 250 (wtfconfused]
#3. Tokyo Story (Yasujiro) [not listed]
#4. Band of Outsiders (Jean-Luc Godard)[not listed]
#5. Blade Runner (Scott)[103]
#6. La Dolce Vita (Fellini) [237]
#7. Il Postino (Radford) [not listed, severely underrated]
#8. Kingdom of Heaven (Scott)[not listed, severely underrated]
#9. Children of Men (Cuaron) [172]
#10. Patton (Schaffner) [208, lol what a joke]

You have horrible taste in Film.
December 13, 2008 @ 10:13 AM
randomgrandeur

Boondocks Saints is not underrated. That movie has little to no replay value. It's not even great on first watch. It's okay and mildly entertaining. It seems to only get hyped up amongst suburban college students who wish to fulfill their mundane Finance-major lives with something risky.

Please login first to reply.